http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:15:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS Conference [it's final, DS > PSP]  (Read 1823 times)
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2005, 10:31:11 PM »

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=65917&page=1&pp=50

There's an ongoing thread on the Gaming-Age forums all about what's going on during this conference.  I'm not even sure what the conference is, but man alive, look at all the great info!!  

Looks like the wi-fi will be a HUGE success (if you don't have a wireless router, you can just purchase a USB that plugs into your computer to get on the Nintendo network), all these FF games are being put on it, the Square-Enix MARIO BASKETBALL game looks friggin' incredible (pretty 3d, pretty pretty 3d!), Animal Crossing looks gorgeous, and online Mario Kart.  ONLINE MARIO KART!  It's going to be an incredible few months for the DS.  Nicely done, Nintendo, nicely done.

Check out that thread, you gotta be excited ;D

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 10:42:33 PM »

Do Bill Gates or Ken Kutaragi ever look like they're having this much fun?

I THINK NOT!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 11:17:55 PM »

I think Miyamoto would still look like that even if he had just found out that the world was going to end slywink

"Do Bill Gates or Ken Kutaragi ever look like they're having this much fun?"
Maybe not, but has Miyamoto ever looked this sexy?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:35:54 PM »

I can only guess you were trying to post the picture of Bill Gates in a sexy pose circa Windows 1.0 era, but it came out as a red X...heh.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:48:46 PM »

Actually, it's a picture of Bill Gates draped across a Ferrari in a red speedo.  Don't you wish you could see it now?  :lol:

Mistwalker also announced their DS RPG called ASH.  RPGamer has some details here.  Also, Nintendo announced an RPG based on the Tingle character from Zelda, and Namco announced they are working on a Tales game for the DS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:21:45 AM »

Well, we still need NOA to confirm a lot of the titles and what not over here in the states, then maybe I'd consider the thought of Ds punching PSP in the mouth.

Their wireless plan, however, looks like it will be strong. All indications and descriptions show a XBL like service for free.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 01:01:13 AM »

if you don't have a wireless router, you can just purchase a USB that plugs into your computer to get on the Nintendo network

Hot on the heels of the ultra-utilized modem adapter for the GC!

So what your telling me/us/everyone, is the wireless that the PSP already uses and another Mario Kart is the DS death blow to the PSP?

OK.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:01:51 AM »

I dig the Wi-Fi setup, and frankly, the touch screen is perfectly suited for online communication, game selection, buddy lists, downloading choices, etc. Groovy.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:50:54 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
if you don't have a wireless router, you can just purchase a USB that plugs into your computer to get on the Nintendo network

Big difference between the two there. You can get on the network if you already have a Wifi network in your house, or a hotspot. It's nice of Nintendo to offer those who don't have wifi a (hopefully affordable) way to get on the network.

And if you read the GAF thread and look at all the information available. It's more than just Mario Kart and what looks like XBLive like free online mp, there's a ton of games that were just announced, and some are very exciting, and a lot of games will be supporting the online here.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:58:04 AM »

So what your telling me/us/everyone, is the wireless that the PSP already uses and another Mario Kart is the DS death blow to the PSP?

OK.

It's ok Devil.

Sony and Microsoft are still making money.

:lol:
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 02:03:54 AM »

OK.

While I don't have statistics or anything, but I'd be willing to bet the amount of people playing online with their PSP's is incredibly, incredibly low.  I know that my time with it was laggy and there was only one other person playing MLB.

An online Mario Kart is any MK fan's wet dream.  So yeah, I think it's a big hit.  Not quite a "death blow", but a big dent, sure.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 02:05:41 AM »

You can get on the network if you already have a Wifi network in your house, or a hotspot. It's nice of Nintendo to offer those who don't have wifi a (hopefully affordable) way to get on the network.

I'd be willing to bet that little USB wifi deal will cost more than a free (after rebate) wifi router that you could already buy today. Either way you'll be getting what the PSP already has.

Mario Kart, Mario Party, Animal Crossing and probably about 57 new Nintendogs with different animals.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I honestly don't see anything that's all that earth shattering. I'm trying to like the DS, but it just ain't getting it done and there's nothing there that changes it for me.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 02:35:58 AM »

Ouendan will change all that, you just wait Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 03:07:18 AM »

I dont even think this will really hurt the PSP sales... not to mention GTA comes out soon and that will probably hurt DS sales 10 times more than this announcement will hurt the PSP.  I think it is cool and all, but in no way a huge blow to the PSP.

I do however, LOVE, the idea of being able to create a hotspot in my home.  Hopefully it will also be compatible with the PSP.  I dont see why not.  This is a good idea for Nintendo but I wouldnt say it makes the DS better than the PSP.  Though that basketball game did look pretty impressive!

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 03:25:14 AM »

Any mention whether these hotspots are shoe-ins for stores? Seems like they'd be brilliant means of selling and promoting the DS.

I gotta say, though, the moment that Metroid Prime: Hunters was mentioned in the same sentence as Wi-Fi, I was instantly craving Metroid co-op.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 03:33:50 AM »

You can get on the network if you already have a Wifi network in your house, or a hotspot. It's nice of Nintendo to offer those who don't have wifi a (hopefully affordable) way to get on the network.

I'd be willing to bet that little USB wifi deal will cost more than a free (after rebate) wifi router that you could already buy today. Either way you'll be getting what the PSP already has.

What are you talking about what the PSP already has? The DS and PSP both feature wifi connectivity out of the box. There is no advantage for the DS or the PSP.

The USB wifi adapter is just a way people can get online with their DS if they don't already have a wifi adapter. I am sure they could buy a router or some 3rd party USB adapter, but nintendo is also making one available. I don't see the problem with that.

Anyhow, sorry to let the facts get in the way of your pithy little pot shots.

OUT!
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 04:02:25 AM »

Yeah, tell me something new. I knew the DS owns - I mean, I bought one! And loving it! And loving the news even more! Well, except...

Quote from: "EddieA"
Also, Nintendo announced an RPG based on the Tingle character from Zelda

WHY, NINTENDO?! FOR ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY?!?!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 04:17:13 AM »

EASY.  SAFE.  FREE. \m/

I actually have no complaints about the current PSP WiFi support.  The Socom Beta generally has anywhere from 30-50 people online at any given point during the day, whereas Madden seems to be anywhere from 50-100.

I agree that MLB, while awesome, does suffer from not having anybody online - I think the most people I ever saw online at once (and I check quite a bit) was 4 people.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005, 05:07:43 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Big difference between the two there. You can get on the network if you already have a Wifi network in your house, or a hotspot. It's nice of Nintendo to offer those who don't have wifi a (hopefully affordable) way to get on the network.

From what I'm reading elsewhere, the Wi-Fi adapter will require a PC connected to the 'net via broadband, a free USB port, and $30 to buy their little product.

I think that fits perfectly into the affordable addon price range.

That is a VERY disturbing picture for reasons I can't exactly explain.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005, 05:39:04 AM »

Ah, Miyamoto-san, this was the thing stuck up your ass! HA HA!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2005, 06:21:33 AM »

^ AHAHAHAHAHAHAH what a caption.  Fits *perfectly*.

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2005, 11:27:53 AM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"

Ah, Miyamoto-san, this was the thing stuck up your ass! HA HA!

Heh.  I was thinking it was the new wireless anal probe also.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2005, 01:25:39 PM »

I don't think it because of Nintendo's wi-fi announcement, but, since I won both and can say for certain, the DS is indeed greater than the PSP.  I love them both, though.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2005, 02:42:09 PM »

Anyhow, sorry to let the facts get in the way of your pithy little pot shots.

Sorry if I offended you AC. Thought it was a legit question/issue.

I shoulda known better than to question the Sacred Cow of the CG boards. (Nintendo)

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »

Maybe so, but even at the current $30 guesstimate from this USB adaptor, and based on the "what the PSP already has" argument, it's still cheaper than the $150 difference between the DS and PSP (and you have a choice to buy it or not based on whether you want to use or pass on the WiFi features).

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 04:59:40 PM »

Hmmm... After digging through the site that originally quoted the price, it seems that they reversed their statement. If you're curious as to what the device looks like though, I bring you this shot:

According to that site, there is no official price on the USB Wi-Fi dongle thingy.

And here's a link for a PR for the device:
http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=6569

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: