http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 04:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dreamcast Online  (Read 851 times)
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2005, 03:27:21 AM »

Ive been thinking about going online with my dreamcast. Is this still an option at all? I know there was a broadband adaptor made for it, b is online still a possability with the dreamcast?
Andrew Wonser
Gaming Trend Senior Member

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 07:02:56 PM »

Had a friend that got Phantasy Star Online in an auction and sure enough he could play it online. I'm not sure it that stands for all the games though.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 01:01:40 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Wonser"
Had a friend that got Phantasy Star Online in an auction and sure enough he could play it online. I'm not sure it that stands for all the games though.

Have they kept the servers up?  I thought Sega announced they would be shutting the DC servers down at a later date.

Never got the broadband adapter, but I used it with dial up a couple times just to see the web browsing.  Not a problem since I bought the keyboard for Typing of the Dead.  I have the mouse, too, but don't think I ever used it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 01:31:56 AM »

yes, absolutely!

you can start at:   dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com  forum, for info on going online (i think i have a few more good links, i'll check).

broadband adaptors go for about 80 to 100 bucks,  i think many people just use 56K.  i'm pretty sure you also need a newer version of the Dreamcast browser (maybe 2.0 or higher) to register your own ISP.  i'll double check on that too.

one of the best games to go online with is Phantasy Star Online ver. 2, and you can get it together with "Dreamkey" and go to a UK site to play.  these are not cheap either, expect to pay about 45 or 50 for one - if you can find one.

just off the top of my beanie little head, some of the games you can go online with are PSO, Ferrarri 355, and Starlancer.  Quake 3 Arena was one but i thought i saw somewhere that it was dead.  some people are hosting their own sites, too.

start with the above website, there's tons of info there and the games you can still play online - and i'll get back with more...

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 02:53:05 AM »

4 X 4 Evolution is another game with online availability.

at the first site i gave, "tech guides" is probably your best bet.

also try:
http://www.planetdreamcast.com/ ...very good site, check the forums or do a search for online gaming, and;
http://www.ukrockers.co.uk  (kept timing out on me, couldn't verify anything)

good luck, and remember to keep an eye on dates, there's still a lot of really old stuff on the web.  even the summer of '04 info may no longer be true.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 06:30:20 AM »

Wow, 80 to 100 bucks for a broadband adaptor? I think ill have to pass unless I can find one cheaper. Ive got Xbox live so im not desperate to get online. Ive payed PSO a ton and am done with it. I was thinking for Star lancer mostly. Anyways, unless I can find a broadband adaptor for cheap doesnt sound worth it to me. Thanks for the info though guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: