http://gamingtrend.com
November 29, 2014, 01:29:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drakensang: The River of Time + Expansion announced  (Read 2450 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 17, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

The Dark Eye must have done pretty well as they've annnounced a prequel to it.  The attached screenshot looks very cool.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 03:50:26 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »

Were there Drakensang games in Europe after Star Trail?  It seems odd that the series seemed dead for so long (at least in the US) and now there are three games in quick succession.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 03:49:31 PM »

even though this hasn't made it over here yet they've started showing screenshots from an upcoming expansion:  Phileasson's Secret.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »

Strange, I read the other day the company had entered bankrupcy... I'll see if I can find the link

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 07:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on June 16, 2010, 03:55:08 PM

Strange, I read the other day the company had entered bankrupcy... I'll see if I can find the link

From what I can tell this is what is going on:

The publisher dropped the developer after the game was released in Germany, claiming that they franchise wasn't worth much outside of Germany and thus not worth their time and money.  Nevertheless, they control the localization of the River of Time game and keep claiming an English version is planned, but have provided no further details.

Meanwhile the developer (who also owns the source rights) had to file for bankruptcy but was saved by being purchased by another German publisher, one that is focused on casual games.  Publically they are claiming that the developer will continue to work on more games in the franchise, but some people question this since they have apparently not hired back many people who were let go during the bankruptcy phase. 

As far as I can tell, this expansion is being done by the original developer but will be published by their new owner to work with a game that neither controls.  Or maybe it will be standalone.  I guess we'll have to see, but it's irrelevant until the first publisher releases a version for the English speaking markets.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:58:34 PM »

Bummer.  I really liked the first one and was looking forward to more.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:31 PM »

WOOHOO!  no word on the expansion though.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 04:09:03 PM »

very cool. Man there are so many new rpg's out our coming soon. Not sure when I will get to it thanks to the steam sales, but I enjoyed the first game and will play this at some point.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 06:55:42 PM »

Drakensang is one of those games I felt that I should like, but could just never get into it for some reason.  Same thing that happened with NWN2.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »

Drakensang had an amazingly smooth graphics engine (with excellent graphics).  I thought it was a better looking game (and game world) than Dragon Age, and it ran better.  My biggest complaint was that there was no party AI when it came to using skills/spells.  They would just rush into battle and auto attack without any direct intervention.  Every battle required full micromanagement. 

The skill allocations were not always intuitive, which made it kind of confusing how all of the formulas worked under the hood of the combat engine. 

Aside from those complaints, I thought it was a good rpg, and look forward to this one.     
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 03:17:09 AM »

I'd forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this until I got the email from Stardock/Impulse on Tuesday that it was up. Downloaded and installed it but haven't done anything else with it - did anyone bite on this? There doesn't seem to be any kind of manual with their version but from googling around my "handbook" from The Dark Eye should help... need to dig that out.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 04:05:52 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on January 13, 2011, 03:17:09 AM

I'd forgotten that I'd pre-ordered this until I got the email from Stardock/Impulse on Tuesday that it was up. Downloaded and installed it but haven't done anything else with it - did anyone bite on this? There doesn't seem to be any kind of manual with their version but from googling around my "handbook" from The Dark Eye should help... need to dig that out.

I picked it up today and played around with it a bit.  There are tutorial hints and it starts off pretty reasonably, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting back into it.  However, the game has no auto-saving going on at all so don't forget to save regularly - I had to replay the first hour or so after dying and realizing I had no save point to go back to.

- American Dad
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:26:13 AM »

I remember playing the first one and generally liking it.  I didn't end up finishing it as it was on a hard drive that died so I lost my saves.  I remember making it through about 50% or so?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 05:20:39 AM »

I liked the first one quite a bit, though it was oddly structured.  There's this huge world map and everything up to a certain point happens in the top half, making me think I still had a lot to do.  Then I finally was sent to a location in the bottom half of the map and the game ended pretty quickly - maybe 20% of the game was left when the action changed to that area.

My impression early on in River of Time is that it's more of the same, which is fine.  The only negative I've seen so far is that some of the voice acting is pretty bad.  There's a cute girl you work with early on (in what is basically the tutorial section) who was decently cast, but at times it's pretty clear they gave her only one or two attempts at the lines.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »

Direct2Drive has this up now too, kinda hoping Steam gets it.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »

Its a great game... I like it very much - oozes atmosphere, but its clearly a different beast than say Dragon Age. Don't go in expecting something like that.

It's a throwback to games like Darklands and the like, with emphasis on the character stats and abilities, and lots of information both about the mechanics, but also about the story.

Also, some areas are breathtakingly beautifull, which one wouldn't think looking at some of the screens, but the use of light whatever else they use really shine from time to time, even if everythings kinda brownish.

A new one
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »

Yah, some of the voice work is... interesting... including Janah, the tutorial sailor girl. And now that I've bumped things from low to medium to "up" (rather than high) it is rather purty as well with lots of little details and interesting bits of fuzz (seeds I assume) floating around. My Dark Eye manual seems to match up nicely but as noted there is plenty of information about the game functions during the opening / tutorial section.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 07:20:13 PM »

How does it compare to the first game?  I remember getting into all the stats and such, and how they work.  I kind of like that aspect, and in some ways I felt that Dragon Age was missing that element to make it a truly great game.  I don't think I have the heart to go back through the entire first game though.  I recall getting through the forest and city sequences was a bit taxing.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:57 AM »

Steam finally got this today, figure I might as well buy both games from them, but probably not until after Dragon Age 2 hits since I still have Two Worlds 2 also.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »

the expansion, Phileasson's Secret, is now on Steam and Impulse for $9.99.

Because I can,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: