http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:41:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drakensang english demo (win a copy!)  (Read 25996 times)
Eightball
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »

I'm digging this quite a bit.  Got into a situation where now I have to pick sides, with some drastic results.  If I go with one group, the good group, I lose out on the benefits of going with the bad group (including an expanded merchant inventory with better weapons/armor, and the opportunity to train my guys in some advanced combat moves).  Actually kind of tempting to go bad...but then again...the bad guys are real buttheads slywink

Quote from: Shkspr on February 27, 2009, 10:05:00 AM

Quick note:  the way the noncombat Talent system works is that each talent is connected to three attributes.  To succeed at a task you have to succeed at 3 separate d20 rolls against those three attributes.  Your talent level is the leeway you're given to miss those rolls.  Blow a roll badly and you use up all your points fixing it.  Make a roll and save the points for one of the other two.  If you miss the rolls by a combined total larger than the Talent level, you fail at the skill.

Thanks, Shkspr!

One question, when I open up the Console to review the skill checks, I notice something after the "Success" roll that says *TaP (x)...where (x) is a number.  What does that mean?

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2009, 06:47:10 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 01, 2009, 03:59:23 PM

One question, when I open up the Console to review the skill checks, I notice something after the "Success" roll that says *TaP (x)...where (x) is a number.  What does that mean?

I believe that's the number of points you have left in your talent pool after modding the dice rolls.  It would seem to indicate quality of success, but I don't know that that has any implementation in the game.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 01, 2009, 06:51:54 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on February 26, 2009, 09:10:54 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 26, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

I'm kinda liking the Spellweaver.  One of their initial spells summons a wolf rat (and has a -1 underneath it's icon on the shortcut bar, but I can't figure out what that means), which gives you an extra party member for a bit.  the class is also a subset of the ranger class, so it has some melee potential too.

After reading in the manual, I'm betting the -1 refers to the amount of upkeep in astral points the spell requires.

As an aside, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  What the numbers below the spell indicate, for those who don't yet know, is spell intensity - you can up the effects of some spells if you pump more astral points into them.  You should be able to click the plus and minus signs by the numbers to change the spell.  Right clicking in the spell mastery screen will, as usual, explain the effects of modifying the base spell.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:14 PM »

I've noticed an odd disparity between your level and the level of your party members.  I first enlisted the Amazon, who was pretty much level 2 before I even had any XP, and then I found the thief, who starts off at level 3 but I was just getting to level 2 myself when I got him.  picking him up made some encounters easier, like White Fur, who'd kick my butt when I only had 2 people in the party but the level 3 guy made it alot easier.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on March 01, 2009, 06:51:54 PM

Quote from: Shkspr on February 26, 2009, 09:10:54 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 26, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

I'm kinda liking the Spellweaver.  One of their initial spells summons a wolf rat (and has a -1 underneath it's icon on the shortcut bar, but I can't figure out what that means), which gives you an extra party member for a bit.  the class is also a subset of the ranger class, so it has some melee potential too.

After reading in the manual, I'm betting the -1 refers to the amount of upkeep in astral points the spell requires.

As an aside, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.  What the numbers below the spell indicate, for those who don't yet know, is spell intensity - you can up the effects of some spells if you pump more astral points into them.  You should be able to click the plus and minus signs by the numbers to change the spell.  Right clicking in the spell mastery screen will, as usual, explain the effects of modifying the base spell.

Ah, sweet.  Thanks for letting us know.  I just started playing the game and I don't know which character to pick.  Since I never read the P&P rule book for the game, I am at a loss.  I guess I just need to spend more time with the game.  This is one of those games that would have benefitted from a larger instruction booklet.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2009, 02:26:16 AM »

Just picked up the game tonight, started a charlatan... looks interesting so far.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2009, 02:29:10 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on March 02, 2009, 02:26:16 AM

Just picked up the game tonight, started a charlatan... looks interesting so far.

I had a spellweaver.  I think I am going to make a battlemage instead smile

StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on March 01, 2009, 06:47:10 PM

Quote from: Eightball on March 01, 2009, 03:59:23 PM

I believe that's the number of points you have left in your talent pool after modding the dice rolls.  It would seem to indicate quality of success, but I don't know that that has any implementation in the game.

AFAIK, the "leftover" number (TaP*) has no use in case of non-combat talents like Lock Picking - you picked the lock and that's it. It's very important in spellcasting though. It's called SP* and this number affects the power of some spells. For example, if some imaginary Ray of Uberness spell has its damage described as 1D6+SP*, it means that the "leftover" number (the number that is left after using SP number to modify the corresponding three rolls in order to pass them) is added to 1D6.

The whole system seems so overcomplicated in the begining, but once you start understanding it, you realize it's actually quite cool and very flexible. I like the system a lot, although it definitely takes the game out of reach for the nowadays ADD-affected "general public". smile

As for the game itself, it's pretty cool, but it does feel a bit slow for my taste. Running, picking flowers, looting, skinning, barrel-hitting - everything is so slow and these actions take probably 90% of the time I've spent in the game. Looting/skinning the rats takes almost more time than to kill them. The combat is cool, the quests and dialogs are not great but decent, too bad most of my time I spend running.

I really have mixed feelings about this game, I like it a lot when I get to do the fun stuff and I hate it the rest of the time. Which, unfortunately, means that I hate it 90% of the time smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 05:16:55 PM »

there is indeed alot of running, but I think I got used to that while playing The Witcher.  I did notice the click and move option does have a pretty good range, but I wish they had put in an option where you could pull up the map, click on a point and then sit back as your characters automatically run to the target.  I can't stand using Sneak mode though- it seems to be a bit too slow.

Because I can,
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »

So just finishing up Avestrue...and so far the second NPC to join has basically invalidated most of what my main is good at... I may be rerolling to a different main.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:05 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2009, 05:16:55 PM

there is indeed alot of running, but I think I got used to that while playing The Witcher.  I did notice the click and move option does have a pretty good range, but I wish they had put in an option where you could pull up the map, click on a point and then sit back as your characters automatically run to the target.  I can't stand using Sneak mode though- it seems to be a bit too slow.

I literally took an oath "I shall never use Sneak mode again!". smile

So just finishing up Avestrue...and so far the second NPC to join has basically invalidated most of what my main is good at... I may be rerolling to a different main.

Invalidated how? Besides, I heard there is a lot of NPC's available in the game, you don't really have to use that 2nd one you got. Without spoiling things, I will tell you that within maybe 30 minutes of leaving Avestrue, you will have the access to two more NPC's of different classes. If you like the class, just continue playing the game and fine tune your party later on.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on March 02, 2009, 05:26:05 PM

Invalidated how? Besides, I heard there is a lot of NPC's available in the game, you don't really have to use that 2nd one you got. Without spoiling things, I will tell you that within maybe 30 minutes of leaving Avestrue, you will have the access to two more NPC's of different classes. If you like the class, just continue playing the game and fine tune your party later on.

I'm up to 5 options for teammates and it's a pretty good spread of skills. there's certainly overlap but no gaps. I pretty much have two options for each role. I've opted for the all hottie team so far. Sadly I went with a female soldier or something like that and the bowl haircut kills me (luckily I just found a helm with good coverage).

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2009, 06:23:39 PM »

Yeah there's a ton of customization options in this game.  I wouldn't just reroll because of this, if you like your guy already.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 02, 2009, 06:23:39 PM

Yeah there's a ton of customization options in this game.  I wouldn't just reroll because of this, if you like your guy already.

true.  don't forget in most party based fantasy RPG's you're going to have party members to cover all skill sets so you don't miss out on stuff, so you're bound to find at least one that will be similar to your character choice.  if you're enjoying your class just use him as cannon fodder until you find more members and then boot his freeloading arse down to the minors.

Because I can,
ANZAC
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2009, 08:21:13 PM »

Well, have spent some serious time with this one.

For an inexpensive title I do not find anything cheap about the production values. Far better than many full priced games out there now.

Graphics, sound, music, and interface all work very well. Game seems very stable, and runs well with everything at max on my rig which is below the recommended stats machine.

Storyline so far seems quite good. Combat and fedex  are not over done.

It does feel like a cross between Baldur's Gate and NWN Nights, but it seems to take the best from each.

Many games suffer from too much button mashing combat or too many fedex type side quests. Drakensang IMO doesen't fall
into this trap. So far everything seems to further or strengthen the story or game play with out becoming tedious.

I too found the leveling in this game to be a little mysterious in the begining but the longer you play it starts to make perfect sense, just give it time.

Camera control can be a real game breaker in games of this type , but the camera in Drakensang works quite quite well.

SO far there have been no comments with in the game dialog that kick you out of the game and back to reality, which was a fault of Sacred 2. ie: "I know where you left your car, user."

The game is played in areas which are quite large and detailed and very different from each other, which is always a plus.
These areas do not feel as boxed in as they did for me in NWN 2. Also the travel from one area to another seems well done in that it allows you to remain immersed in the game which is something NWN 2 failed in for me.

Finding your way around a big medieval city while investigating a murder is rather refreshing for an rpg. Last time I did that was Baldur's Gate 2. This time you are right down in the streets with your party and the swirling dust. as opposed to the isometric god like view.

I really haven't found the combat system that annoying as some reviews have indicated. It seems to work well and you can pause and stack your attacks and control your party members or fight in real time.

So bottom line IMO, Excellent game, refreshing change from what has been offered lately, well worth the purchase.

Byte me
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2009, 10:25:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 02, 2009, 08:13:33 PM

Quote from: Eightball on March 02, 2009, 06:23:39 PM

true.  don't forget in most party based fantasy RPG's you're going to have party members to cover all skill sets so you don't miss out on stuff, so you're bound to find at least one that will be similar to your character choice.  if you're enjoying your class just use him as cannon fodder until you find more members and then boot his freeloading arse down to the minors.

Very true, I just found it a bit frustrating to have rolled a Charlatan and then get a rogue who was just as good as me at everything I did except my useless spells...and then just an hour later I end up with a charlatan in the party.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 03, 2009, 03:21:35 AM »

RPGWatch now has a specific Drakensang section and its decently active.

I'm currently doing the murder mystery quest and enjoying the game. Main thing that bugs me is that enemies don't have the loot (weapons) on them that is displayed (or at least it seems that way). Not a deal breaker just I hate not seeing getting the weapons they seem to be holding. I do like that my own people do change based on what they wear and their images change too based on what they are wearing.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 03, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »

dang, my thief party member didn't last long, and now he's been replaced by a dwarf- I think I may be screwed for lockpicking but then again I had to quit playing for the night so I'm not sure what the dwarf can do. 

I got out of the starting area last night after finally finding that package of candied tongues- after a half hour of scouring the map I finally turned to GameFAQ's to find out where it was, and there I managed to find a list of codes to give that one farmers wife who asks for one.  I got a mask that raises charisma by 3 points, I'm guessing it was a pre-order bonus or something like that since the code was a jumble of letters and numbers.  On the topic of the candied tongues, I chose the 'eat them' option and after reading his response I reloaded and kept them for now.

the encounters on the overland map are cool, but I'm guessing their not random because I encountered the exact same one in the same spot after I had to reload to avoid failing the tongues quest from the starting area.

Because I can,
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 03, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »

It's actually kind of a slick game.  In one of the earlier areas, you can choose to side with one side or the other, and the other side becomes hostile.  Well, if you choose one way, you can end up allying with the second side anyways...except if you kill one guy.  Which I did, because I wanted his warhammer.

About 10 quests later, the dialogue revealed I made that mistake, and missed out on training and weapons/armor that I haven't had access to until hours later.  Makes me think now about all of the consequences of my actions in this game.  Very cool.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 03, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »

I was looking at a spell vendor last night and noticed some spells were restricted to certain races.  there was a nice fire on, but you have to be a human character to get it.  time to find a human mage.

Because I can,
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2009, 09:06:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2009, 06:34:09 PM

I was looking at a spell vendor last night and noticed some spells were restricted to certain races.  there was a nice fire on, but you have to be a human character to get it.  time to find a human mage.

Ceekay, I am thinking about making a Battlemage...you too?  Or the Necromancer dude smile

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2009, 09:15:54 PM »

While I am still a bit disappointed with my character choice, the game really is great.  I am about to undertake a quest for the thieves guild.  I would love to find a new 2 new party members to replace the amazon chick who annoys the hell out of me and gladys since she is a charlatan just like me.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2009, 12:18:01 AM »

Been watchign some vid's of this and thinking about picking it up.  I have seen many, many barrels, crates and other items smashed and looted.  Is this a constant thing in the game?  I've never been a big fan of 'smash everything because you get free stuff from it' or 'steal everything from everyone's house because it's free' games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2009, 01:58:18 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on March 03, 2009, 09:06:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2009, 06:34:09 PM

Ceekay, I am thinking about making a Battlemage...you too?  Or the Necromancer dude smile

I'm going to stick with my Elven Spellweaver for now.

Quote from: Harkonis on March 04, 2009, 12:18:01 AM

Been watchign some vid's of this and thinking about picking it up.  I have seen many, many barrels, crates and other items smashed and looted.  Is this a constant thing in the game?  I've never been a big fan of 'smash everything because you get free stuff from it' or 'steal everything from everyone's house because it's free' games.

There are barrels to smash, but I haven't seen any instance where you can loot stuff other than attempting to pick pocket people.

Because I can,
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2009, 01:55:12 AM »

I smashed a barrel in game the other day.  If I recall correctly, I got a band-aid and a half eaten apple out of it.

So yeah, the temptation to smash every barrel that comes across your path goes away pretty quickly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2009, 04:30:10 AM »

Quote from: Shkspr on March 05, 2009, 01:55:12 AM

I smashed a barrel in game the other day.  If I recall correctly, I got a band-aid and a half eaten apple out of it.

So yeah, the temptation to smash every barrel that comes across your path goes away pretty quickly.

I've been finding farthings in a bunch of the ones I've been smashing.  It's a barrel, who am I to deny it its purpose in life?

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2009, 04:50:47 AM »

Alas, didn't realize the contest was expired until after I sent in my entry. Oh well smile

Atomic
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2009, 06:10:14 AM »

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out how to travel to Moonbridge Marsh or am I the only idiot? I kept thinking the exit had to be out of the town some where and had completely forgotten that you can scroll the world map. Only some vague random desperate clicking along the bottom of the world map got me going.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2009, 01:52:16 PM »

Quote from: TheAtomicKid on March 05, 2009, 04:50:47 AM

Alas, didn't realize the contest was expired until after I sent in my entry. Oh well smile

Atomic

And I didn't realize it was you before I sent a snarkygram. slywink  My bad.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2009, 03:25:52 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 05, 2009, 06:10:14 AM

Did anyone else have trouble figuring out how to travel to Moonbridge Marsh or am I the only idiot? I kept thinking the exit had to be out of the town some where and had completely forgotten that you can scroll the world map. Only some vague random desperate clicking along the bottom of the world map got me going.

I was bravely venturing through GameFAQ's board for this when I was trying to find the candied tongues and saw a few topic titles about people not being able to figure out where Moonbridge is.

I now have a complete party of 4 (for some reason I was thinking you could only have 3) but since I'm in the middle of the murder mystery I haven't had much chances for combat with the (yet), but I wish they'd have programmed it where your characters sheath their weapons when not in combat.  the only way I've seen to have them put them away is to actually unequip them, which could get annoying having to re-equip every combat.  it just feels odd running through town wielding weapons.  another thing I noticed is that people don't seem to care if you fail your attempt at pickpocketing them.

Because I can,
TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 06, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »

That's ok. I always forget you're Knightshade on the forums, so it's all working out nice and even biggrin

Atomic
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »

posion is not your friend! What I usualy do in an area where enemy's can give you a damage that stays with you is not heal after each infliction because you have limited cures and the next group could be just around the corner. But posion can add up and it really cuts down your strength. I'm kinda stuck in the Marsh now and may have to go back to a bit earlier save.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2009, 12:21:55 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 06, 2009, 09:59:54 PM

posion is not your friend! What I usualy do in an area where enemy's can give you a damage that stays with you is not heal after each infliction because you have limited cures and the next group could be just around the corner. But posion can add up and it really cuts down your strength. I'm kinda stuck in the Marsh now and may have to go back to a bit earlier save.

There's plenty of Golman leaf to make Golman tea...which you can put in your action bar, and then use on other player characters to remove poison.  In addition, there's a spell that removes poison that you may have access to at that point.  You can always head back to Ferdok and stack up on Golman tea btw.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2009, 12:27:49 AM »

Yeah I don't have the spell or a character that has learned the recipe icon_cry I know I can head back but on my quick save I went out on the marsh and got trapped by some harpies that I cannot beat in my weakened state. That's part of the fun, learning this stuff in the game. Hate going back a save though.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:53 PM »

I am pretty much stuck in the marsh... I have myself (charlatan), the Amazon, Dwarf and the other Charlatan... the combat is flat out kicking our ass, my character and the other charlatan drop usually in the first 10 seconds of combat, even if I hang back and send in the dwarf and amazon first, the skeletons still rush the two charlatans.

I am pretty much convinced I need to just restart with a different class at this point, thinking of either the elf fighter or the big ass pirate guy.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2009, 03:25:27 PM »

I'm finding the marsh fairly tough as well. Not so much the skeletons, but those harpies were tough. Is it supposed to take forever to shoot a longbow or am I doing something wrong?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2009, 03:42:27 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on March 07, 2009, 12:21:55 AM

In addition, there's a spell that removes poison that you may have access to at that point.  You can always head back to Ferdok and stack up on Golman tea btw.

I found a vendor with the Cure Poison spell in the Ducal keep section of Ferdok that opens up after you rescue the Archivist from those attackers in the pansy purple tights.  I think it was the Alchemist who gives you a quest to find out how to make a potion and say she will join you when you're finished (unfortunately reading the book she gave me crashes my game when I try and turn the page), or else it was a Devotee.

I'm finding my Charlatan party member goes down pretty quickly as well.  I'm under Ferdok right now, trying to find the soure of the rat problem, and whenever I get ambushed she goes down very quickly, usually within the first few seconds.  luckily I can now summon a wolf so I at least have an extra body when being swarmed by 10 or so of the tougher gray wolf rats.  I do like how they have one dwarven NPC who acts like a warp between the entrance to the brewery basement and the current level of the dungeon I'm in.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2009, 07:11:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 07, 2009, 03:42:27 PM

Quote from: Eightball on March 07, 2009, 12:21:55 AM

In addition, there's a spell that removes poison that you may have access to at that point.  You can always head back to Ferdok and stack up on Golman tea btw.

I found a vendor with the Cure Poison spell in the Ducal keep section of Ferdok that opens up after you rescue the Archivist from those attackers in the pansy purple tights.  I think it was the Alchemist who gives you a quest to find out how to make a potion and say she will join you when you're finished (unfortunately reading the book she gave me crashes my game when I try and turn the page), or else it was a Devotee.

I'm finding my Charlatan party member goes down pretty quickly as well.  I'm under Ferdok right now, trying to find the soure of the rat problem, and whenever I get ambushed she goes down very quickly, usually within the first few seconds.  luckily I can now summon a wolf so I at least have an extra body when being swarmed by 10 or so of the tougher gray wolf rats.  I do like how they have one dwarven NPC who acts like a warp between the entrance to the brewery basement and the current level of the dungeon I'm in.
Spoiler

I have heard the end of this quest is very very tough. People have recommended holding off until you are level 8 or so. I have not finished it so I cannot say for sure.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2009, 10:11:13 PM »

Got this last weekend but just getting around to playing.  I am having a helluva time deciding what class to play and have not seen much discussion on plusses and minuses of each.  I'm leaning towards pirate because how many rpg's can you be a pirate in?  Even if he is the land lubber type.  So what class(es)are all playing/played and how did you like it? 

morlac00 on PSN
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2009, 11:35:21 PM »

I'm more than halfway done with the game (judging by progress in the main quest) and my party is around level 13 or so.  My main is a warrior, I have the dwarf, amazon, and I use the Charlatan.

I notice that the Charlatan is very, very squishy.  Even though I have her using magic and a longbow, enemies will often immediately target her.  Since the Charlatan, and all magic using classes, cannot wear metal armor (well...they can't if you want them to cast spells, that is), you HAVE to be able to train them to fight defensively.  Just letting them attack in close combat with a bow, or with a fencing weapon and no shield, means they'll get spanked when they get attacked by more than 1 enemy.  I've ended up training her fencing skills to max, and training her in shield combat as well.  As soon as an enemy gets close, she whips out her fencing blade and shield.  Shields make a huge difference in combat; that extra parry is a life-saver.  That being said, you should also invest in the armor spell (the one that adds 1 armor across the entire body)...it lasts a pretty decent time, and it can be a real life saver.

My dwarf, on the other hand, I have trained to use a big honking 2 handed axe I found.  Since he's virtually clad head to toe in platemail, he doesn't defend as well...but he really can take a beating.

Also, with harpies (and archers, and a few other enemies you'll run into, like those brewery rats), the real issue with them is they cause wounds, very, very frequently.  You can have 50 hitpoints left, and the moment you take your 5th wound, you die.  Also, wounds have a pretty nasty effect on your character; they immediately decrease your ability to attack and defend (by 2 for each wound).  To avoid wounds, you need to train the willpower skill for each character.  After getting my butt handed to me by the harpies in the marsh, I immediately levelled willpower on all of my guys to at least 12.  It literally was the difference for me in beating the harpies, and getting my butt handed to me.

You can heal wounds with a bandage (which gets tricky in combat), or with the heal spell, as long as you crank up the little spell power thing (indicated under the spell icon in the abilities bar) to a level (equal or greater, I think) to the number of wounds the person has.

Spoiler regarding the Brewery:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Absolutely the mother rat is a real pain in the ass.  From what I've read, the developers put her in as a joke...since rats are usually the easiest enemies you fight in a RPG, they thought they'd change it up for this one.  I couldn't beat her until I was level 8; not only does she have a ton of hitpoints, she summons swarms of really nasty rats as she gets progressively injured.  Even at level 8, with a fully trained group, it took me about 3 times to get it right.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: