http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 06:44:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drakensang english demo (win a copy!)  (Read 26741 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 11:10:03 PM »

Oh hip hip horray, this is fantastic news. Thank you so much Knightshade  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:13:41 PM by Vindel » Logged

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2009, 04:37:10 PM »

now Gamestops site is listing a ship date of the 23rd instead of backordered.  I stopped in the local GS and they looked but all they could find that it was off the reserve list.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 03:22:15 PM »

So has anyone picked this up yet? If so what do you think of the full game? Impressions please. Cannot wait for my copy to arrive  icon_biggrin

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on February 23, 2009, 03:22:15 PM

So has anyone picked this up yet? If so what do you think of the full game? Impressions please. Cannot wait for my copy to arrive  icon_biggrin

I can't find a copy to pick up.

Because I can,
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

My GS got them in on Friday. I live in So Cal. And I believe Fry's and Best Buy got them as well.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2009, 05:02:52 AM »

Quote from: Vindel on February 23, 2009, 05:16:00 PM

My GS got them in on Friday. I live in So Cal. And I believe Fry's and Best Buy got them as well.

still no luck with gamestop, and there's no local Best Buy that's easy for me to get to.  I'm guessing I'll just order it online after I finish up with Oblivion.

Because I can,
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 24, 2009, 05:02:52 AM

Quote from: Vindel on February 23, 2009, 05:16:00 PM

still no luck with gamestop, and there's no local Best Buy that's easy for me to get to.  I'm guessing I'll just order it online after I finish up with Oblivion.
It looks like GamersGate has it for download.  I'm debating on whether to do the DL or stop by Frys tomorrow.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2009, 12:28:41 PM »

I would love a digital download version, but would prefer to deal with either Impulse/Stardock or Steam.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:26 PM »

OK, so I wandered into the local gamestop and they had a copy sitting on the shelf so I grabbed it.

Because I can,
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »

Cool, if you get some time with it, post some impressions if you can. I am still awaiting my copy.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2009, 01:07:25 AM »

I tried the demo yesterday for a bit and it played decent on my ancient barton 2500. Think my 7600GT and 2GB ram help. Running at 1440x900 w Med settings and no shadows. Looks good for a rig as old as mine. Should look way better on high and w/ the higher res textures on. I still need to run fraps to see my fps but it feels fine. Didn't do any quests yet just running around the start area talking to people and getting quests. Seems good enough so I went ahead and took the plunge to get the game since its $30 and I had a $5 coupon from BB (Been saving it for Stalker Clear Skies but they have been out of stock forever now). Trying out the Prospector Dwarf since I liked how he looked (Makes me think of a tech dwarf in Arcanum).

EDIT: Played with fraps for a second and I get mostly a steady 20-25 fps. I thought it would be higher as it still feels really smooth. Probably care if it was an FPS but since I can pause its no big deal. Like I said though it feels smooth which is more than acceptable to me on my ancient rig. Do wish there was some way to change mouse2 and mouse3 as it would make it control more like NWN1 (Never played 2), but I don't see it in options (only key mapping changes and mouse sensitivity/invert) or in any ini type files. Manual seems decent for this day and age (50 pgs). The box sort of sucks since after removing the cover its a blank dvd case so I cut up the outer box to make it fit in the dvd case.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:40:41 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2009, 02:28:56 AM »

well, I installed it and put in the hi res graphics.  I don't have the demo anymore, so I cannot compare the two, but here's some shots.  the beginning area is exactly the same as the demo:

my Elven Spellweaver:

Looks like she has a wedgie:

Nice Bump Mapping  unibrow

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on February 25, 2009, 01:07:25 AM

The box sort of sucks since after removing the cover its a blank dvd case so I cut up the outer box to make it fit in the dvd case.

even the DVD case feels cheap.

Because I can,
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »

Very nice screen shots. I cannot wait to play this game.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 03:27:46 AM »

Still in the start area. Mainly using my plant lore skill to get plants. Bought 2 plans so I can use different plants for a salve or poison cure. So far I really like the character gui. Right click most things to get a nice pop up full of info. Hover over skills and it will show you which attributes affect it. Probably in the book but after years of poor manuals I really don't read them anymore. I have some skill points to use but not sure where yet. So many decisions.

One bad thing I noticed during buying stuff. There is an accept but no cancel option so I'm not sure if there is anyway to negate a purchase after you click to buy it. Hitting ESC seemed to be the same as accept. Buy screen has the good right click feature to where it tells you more about the item. Still needs a cancel though.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 03:29:32 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 06:10:36 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on February 25, 2009, 03:27:46 AM

One bad thing I noticed during buying stuff. There is an accept but no cancel option so I'm not sure if there is anyway to negate a purchase after you click to buy it. Hitting ESC seemed to be the same as accept. Buy screen has the good right click feature to where it tells you more about the item. Still needs a cancel though.

In the demo at least, when you 'sold' items they weren't sold until you hit okay. At that point, they'd show up in a different color on the shopkeeper's screen, so you could click to take the item back.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2009, 04:36:45 PM »

one thing I was hoping that got left out of the demo due to space was more VO work, but alas it doesn't seem to have changed.  I've gotten spoiled with Oblivion and the Witcher having all the dialogue spoken  crybaby

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2009, 05:40:53 PM »

Seems like a fairly deep rpg system.  How is the manual?

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »

Quote from: morlac on February 25, 2009, 05:40:53 PM

Seems like a fairly deep rpg system.  How is the manual?

it looks to be decent length, but I haven't actually read it yet- hopefully I'll get time to sit down with it tonigh.  I'm hopng to finish Oblivion before committing to another RPG, but from the looks of it that might be hard.

just looking at the 'expert mode' for creating a character makes me think you're right about it being deep.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:07 PM »

Still wprking my way through the opening area. Overall my impressions are fairly positive. Graphics are good. Nice big areas to explore. However I could do without the big question marks popping up on the map showing me where to go to complete the quest. Can't you just give me enough info to point me in the right direction so that I feel a bit of accomplishment when I find it? Battle is kind of on the slow side, but at least it gives you time to fire off your spells. It is scratching my rpg itch.
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

I hope my copy shows up soon. I want to play.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on February 25, 2009, 08:53:00 PM

You forgot to read the fine print of the contest.
You only receive the game once everyone who entered and lost plays it first.
The last person will send the scratched cd and tattered box to you by pony express.

Congrats!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 09:13:04 PM by stimpy » Logged
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 09:13:56 PM »

Quote from: stimpy on February 25, 2009, 09:11:11 PM

The last person will send the scratched cd and tattered box to you by pony express.

Congrats!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo LOL

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on February 25, 2009, 09:13:56 PM

Quote from: stimpy on February 25, 2009, 09:11:11 PM

Congrats!!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo LOL

and just think, while you're salivating, waiting for your copy mine is just sitting there as I play Oblivion  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 04:47:23 AM »

hmm.. apparently there are no spell listings in the manual  thumbsdown

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2009, 05:38:52 AM »

Any chance we can get this thread title changed to something more generic?  I guess it doesn't matter that much but...

Anyway, some revised first impressions.  The full version installed without incident.  Manual is a bit sparse, as CK mentioned no spell listings, and also surprisingly no class listings.  I believe this game is based on a famous German RPG system, I seem to remember an old game which used this system as well.  I only mention that because I get the sense they've tried to port over a lot of that system into the game, and it is/was fairly complicated and detailed, perhaps more so than D&D.  They try to cover quite a bit of these details in the manual; I wonder how much of it is really applicable to the computer game and how much is part of the PnP RPG system.

With the full version you get access to a ton of classes (over the demo).  It's actually a bit odd they give you so many choices but don't mention much about the classes in the manual.   The bad news is graphically you don't get to change anything, it's completely locked into what class and sex you choose.  My elementalist guy looks like some renegade Aladdin wannabe, I would have loved to be able to change him up a bit but whatever.  I am kind of curious how much difference it makes to choose a different starting class.  Nothing I've seen so far seems to indicate a reaction to a different race/class.

As before, the environmental graphics look absolutely amazing.  This may be the best looking game I've played in a long time, if not ever.  Granted I haven't seen a lot yet but thus far it's gorgeous.  Once I adjusted the camera speed (I like 0.5), I really felt the engine worked very well.  I don't know if the better textures have kicked in, but definitely this is a great looking game (everything maxxed). 

This time around, I took a slightly different path, perhaps more of the "intended" path, and I think it worked out better.  I felt more engaged in the game, and came across more action.  I also picked up a second party member, and it made more sense to me since I was coming across a number of locked chests with no way to open them my first playthrough.  Of course maybe it was just having more time to play or being familiar with the game a bit, or maybe a class I liked better, I don't know.  In any case, I liked what I saw a lot more this time.  There's a nice feel somewhat like a cross between Dungeon Siege 2 and NWN 2.  Obviously a deeper RPG system than DS2 but just a good feel.  The pausable party-based combat is very D&Dish, but allowing it to play real time makes it fairly exciting. 

I don't 100% understand the levelling and progression yet.  Apparently you earn XP and adventure points.  The latter is used for your overall level progress, and the first you can spend points to improve your skills and stats.  Apparently you can do this any time you want.  So for instance you can spend 10 points to boost your stamina or 8 to improve your ability to heal wounds.  It's an interesting system, but I don't know exactly how they determine what you are allowed to improve.  I guess it is all class/race based?

I'm really hoping the story becomes more engaging because I like a lot of what I've seen of the engine.  It's clearly not going to be a substitute for Dragon Age but hopefully it will satisfy in other areas and make its mark as a nice bridge between the D&D games and DA.  If nothing else, the excellent engine should get some good use (it looks like a sequel is in the works and you can download more content).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 05:43:12 AM by rittchard » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 26, 2009, 05:38:52 AM

I believe this game is based on a famous German RPG system, I seem to remember an old game which used this system as well.  I only mention that because I get the sense they've tried to port over a lot of that system into the game, and it is/was fairly complicated and detailed, perhaps more so than D&D.  They try to cover quite a bit of these details in the manual; I wonder how much of it is really applicable to the computer game and how much is part of the PnP RPG system.

You are correct - there are some classic PC games from the DOS era that use the same game system...Realms of Arkania I think it's called. Not sure if that's it though.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2009, 03:23:04 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 26, 2009, 02:08:03 PM

Quote from: rittchard on February 26, 2009, 05:38:52 AM

I believe this game is based on a famous German RPG system, I seem to remember an old game which used this system as well.  I only mention that because I get the sense they've tried to port over a lot of that system into the game, and it is/was fairly complicated and detailed, perhaps more so than D&D.  They try to cover quite a bit of these details in the manual; I wonder how much of it is really applicable to the computer game and how much is part of the PnP RPG system.

You are correct - there are some classic PC games from the DOS era that use the same game system...Realms of Arkania I think it's called. Not sure if that's it though.

yep, that's the series.   for some reason there was a rumor going around that you'd be able to import your character from Shadows over Riva, which was odd considering how old that game is.

I'm trying to find a good source for a description of the spells but so far I'm having no luck.  I figured maybe they'd have a tooltip for them, but the only thing that pops up is some abbreviations.  that's a serious minus in my book, especially for a game based of a German RPG that I don't think I've ever seen over her.  they could have at least put something together in a pdf file on the DVD.

I'm kinda liking the Spellweaver.  One of their initial spells summons a wolf rat (and has a -1 underneath it's icon on the shortcut bar, but I can't figure out what that means), which gives you an extra party member for a bit.  the class is also a subset of the ranger class, so it has some melee potential too.

I've heard the game has around 80 hours of playtime, which would be very nice for a 30 dollar title.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 26, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

yep, that's the series.   for some reason there was a rumor going around that you'd be able to import your character from Shadows over Riva, which was odd considering how old that game is.

Who exactly would still have their character data after all these years? Maybe if you DOSBoxed it or something, but...wow. Although, that would be kinda cool. biggrin

I'm kinda liking the Spellweaver.  One of their initial spells summons a wolf rat (and has a -1 underneath it's icon on the shortcut bar, but I can't figure out what that means), which gives you an extra party member for a bit.  the class is also a subset of the ranger class, so it has some melee potential too.

While I don't have the game, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's -1 to your level or something. Or maybe it's just a mark to tell you it's a summoned mob or something.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »

That -1 is under my silly little light spell as well. I have no idea what it means.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »

I discovered that the basic rules of play of the PnP game are available in English for $15.00 at DriveThruRPG, so I took the plunge and picked them up.  A quick perusal shows in depth sections on character generation, skill progression, and spells, so if they didn't change the game too much, this should answer lots of questions about the mechanics.
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2009, 09:10:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 26, 2009, 03:23:04 PM

After reading in the manual, I'm betting the -1 refers to the amount of upkeep in astral points the spell requires.
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:58 PM »

Ordered the game from Amazon.  I hope it comes in soon smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2009, 10:50:36 PM »

Thanks shkspr!

Because I can,
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2009, 03:33:15 AM »

played the demo and loved it. buying it
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2009, 08:09:59 AM »

D'OH!  if you right click on something in your spell/stat/skill windows it'll give you a full description  icon_redface

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »

and hitting J changes the currently selected characters stance between Passive and Aggressive.  Passive is the default stance, aggressive makes them automatically attack.

Because I can,
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »

Quick note:  the way the noncombat Talent system works is that each talent is connected to three attributes.  To succeed at a task you have to succeed at 3 separate d20 rolls against those three attributes.  Your talent level is the leeway you're given to miss those rolls.  Blow a roll badly and you use up all your points fixing it.  Make a roll and save the points for one of the other two.  If you miss the rolls by a combined total larger than the Talent level, you fail at the skill.

When you level up a combat skill, you can divvy up the points between attack and defense.  So if you have 8 points in Swords, you can put 6 points in one and 2 in the other depending on how your character prefers to fight.

There is a chart for levelling up talents - in general, the more munchkin the skill, the more expensive it is.  So throwing daggers are cheaper to level than two-handed swords.  Lore and Social skills are cheapest to level.

Experience points are simply unspent adventure points.  You improve your skills over the course of a level, rather than "dinging".  In fact, "activating" skills (learning them for the first time) in the PnP game actually costs more as a character gains levels.  I'll have to see if it costs more to activate alchemy at level 2 than it did at level 1.  However, the player may be well served to activate as many skills as they can afford as early as possible.

I've totally got to dig out my Realms of Arkania disks after reading these rules. smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2009, 03:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Shkspr on February 27, 2009, 10:05:00 AM

There is a chart for levelling up talents - in general, the more munchkin the skill, the more expensive it is.  So throwing daggers are cheaper to level than two-handed swords.  Lore and Social skills are cheapest to level.

I noticed that last night.  Elves get a -2 to social skills, so everyone that my character has started out at -2.  it cost practically nothing to get them back into the positive which made the penalty kind of pointless.  I like how you can spend your XP whenever you want to and not just when you get enough AP to level up, but I didn't realize the combat skills had 2 seperate settings like that.

Because I can,
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »

Only spoke to one guard but he didn't seem to notice we were all in our undies. The dwarf is one furry guy.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:40:07 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »

There's no patch needed for the US retail release, yes? I assume it would ship with the latest (1.02?) version but can't find anywhere it will show me what version it is currently. Reason I ask is I got a nasty "NEBULA ASSERTION" crash yesterday with the whole 'Display driver has stopped working and has been restarted' shenanigans, so wondered if there was a patch.

Code:
*** NEBULA ASSERTION ***
programmer says: Lock() on vertex buffer failed in nD3D9Mesh()
expression: FAILED(hr)
file: ..\src\gfx2\nd3d9mesh_main.cc
line: 516

Updated drivers (only one release back, I think) but haven't play again to test it yet. May try disabling the "high res texture pack" and see if that helps.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: