http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 11:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragonshard Demo this week!  (Read 1460 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2005, 02:25:16 PM »

Atari sent word that we should see not only a demo for Dragonshard, but a MULTIPLAYER demo!  They also are planning a developer chat on MIRC  this week:

The Dragonshard Demo is coming soon! Many of you have been asking for some time about the status of a Dragonshard demo and we're excited to announce that a multi-player demo will be available this week. I'll send out more details to the community very soon regarding the specifics. So be ready, its on the way! Also, I'd like to remind everyone that our next chat with Liquid is just around the corner. So don't forget to tune in this Friday as our friends at Warcry host one of our last pre-launch developer chats.

Here is the info you need if you want to attend the chat:
July 15, 2005 8:30 EST
irc.warcry.com::6667
#dragonshard

For more info, hit our game record.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 06:35:16 PM »

Any word on a single-player demo?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:15 PM »

I hope this game is turns out good. It has a really cool idea behind it.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:23:10 PM »

No, nothing on the single player quite yet.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 04:39:19 PM »

Anyone else playing the demo?  I have no idea how to advance past level 2.  I've seen the AI with level 3 units, so either the computer is cheating or I'm missing something.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2005, 05:21:11 PM »

So is this a Fileplanet exclusive or what?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »

No, just have a FP account and dl LE.

Me and superhiro played a game last night. I am going to wait until I play at least one more to comment at all, but right now I have very mixed feelings-like I said though, I haven't played nearly enough.
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2005, 07:24:35 PM »

Oh, I found out how to get higher level units.  You have to build multiple buildings of the same class.  I think that they have to be built within the same square, but I haven't tested if you don't.

The AI really needs to be tweaked.  I constantly see terrible pathfinding issues and the computer opponent makes terrible decisions.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »

I just uninstalled it.  The game just failed to impress me at all.  

It has some really great ideas, I really like how your units gain xp, and REALLY like how basebuilding is handled.  I even like how there's essentially no builder units, so you can't really get rushed (and your base has walls).  Each race is very distinct.  

But over all of this is a heavy layer of micromanagement.  They make the map sound really big by saying it has above and underground levels, but really, it's just a normal size map cut in half... and then they layer it on top of each other.  Bleh.  You have to go above ground for "Shards" and below ground for "gold".  It is an incredible PITA to keep gathering those (you need to get them with your regular units).  With Warcraft III, DoW, Kohan II, and RoN (each demonstrating the "pinnacles" of RTS), once you set up your resource "machine"... you don't really need to bother with it all that much.  With Dragonshard, I'm doing it constantly.  Oops out of shards, go get shards.  Oops out of gold, go downstairs to clear creeps and get gold.  About 80% of the game is building up your army while shuttling them back and forth to gather resources.  You know  your game has problems when it inspires me to start playing other RTS's again (like DoW).

And one thing I really hate: this is an RTS/RPG... at least that's what they tout about it anyway.  Then why can't you make your own hero character?  Or at least give the heroes available your own name?  What a crock.

IMO, this is looks to be another typical Liquid product:  great ideas but seriously crippled by 1998 gameplay.

Just Hiro will do.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 05:15:30 PM »

Yeah, I tried this also, and yeah, I agree with Hiro.

This is one of those games that I feel bad about hating -- not because there's something good there, but because the utter shittiness of the game is so well-done that, well, it's quite clear there's alot of thought, love, and craft put into it.  Even though the core gameplay ideas are absolutely frickin' atrocious, frustruating, and backward.

It's also one of those games that's going to be horrible no matter how much more work goes into it.  The core concepts are so flawed that the only way to salvage the game is to totally scrap it and start again -- which won't happen, because like I said, it's clear a ton of work's already gone into delicately polishing and cutting this worthless piece of glass*.

*And props to whoever recognizes the game referenced.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2005, 05:34:50 PM »

Quote from: "SuperHiro"
I just uninstalled it.  The game just failed to impress me at all.  

It has some really great ideas, I really like how your units gain xp, and REALLY like how basebuilding is handled.  I even like how there's essentially no builder units, so you can't really get rushed (and your base has walls).  Each race is very distinct.  

But over all of this is a heavy layer of micromanagement.  They make the map sound really big by saying it has above and underground levels, but really, it's just a normal size map cut in half... and then they layer it on top of each other.  Bleh.  You have to go above ground for "Shards" and below ground for "gold".  It is an incredible PITA to keep gathering those (you need to get them with your regular units).  With Warcraft III, DoW, Kohan II, and RoN (each demonstrating the "pinnacles" of RTS), once you set up your resource "machine"... you don't really need to bother with it all that much.  With Dragonshard, I'm doing it constantly.  Oops out of shards, go get shards.  Oops out of gold, go downstairs to clear creeps and get gold.  About 80% of the game is building up your army while shuttling them back and forth to gather resources.  You know  your game has problems when it inspires me to start playing other RTS's again (like DoW).

And one thing I really hate: this is an RTS/RPG... at least that's what they tout about it anyway.  Then why can't you make your own hero character?  Or at least give the heroes available your own name?  What a crock.

IMO, this is looks to be another typical Liquid product:  great ideas but seriously crippled by 1998 gameplay.

Ditto. Not much else I can say about it other than that-oh yeah, the graphics are pretty bad for 2005.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »

Too bad.  I was really looking forward to this one  :cry:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: