http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:37:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest VIII ship date change . . .  (Read 6187 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »

One week earlier!  11/15.  Now all of you crazy people who wanted to buy a 360 AND DQVIII the same day can get DQ one week earlier, beat it in a week, and not worry about having to go back to the PREVIOUS GEN to play a game.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:45:05 PM »

okay - pre-order time...

thanks...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 10:56:15 PM »

Niiiice!

biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 11:58:33 PM »

IN!

I don't even like RPGs but you clowns have done it to me again!
 biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 12:10:17 AM »

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 12:36:07 AM »

Nice, Ponch!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:52:15 AM »

OMFGHI2U!!!!11 SEXUAL HEALING~!!11
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 01:17:43 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
One week earlier!  11/15.  Now all of you crazy people who wanted to buy a 360 AND DQVIII the same day can get DQ one week earlier, beat it in a week, and not worry about having to go back to the PREVIOUS GEN to play a game.

Well, that's a good thing. Here I was worried about me not playing the game at all thanks to Xbox 360 goodness.

Now to try to beat it in a week... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 01:37:37 AM »

In other words, Square-Enix got smart.  Good.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 05:23:24 AM »

Great news!  SquareEnix also released some nice new screenshots to commemorate the occasion - here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 05:33:55 AM »

This is all well and good, but now I can no longer say I'm hyped for 11/22, and when the nub I'm talking to starts yammering about how he totally knows and isn't the 360 going to be awesome, I say, "360?  Not that piece of shit.  DRAGON WARRIOR EIGHT, MORON."

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 07:28:33 AM »

Check out the "Official Movie 1" here for a sample of the new orchestrated music.  Also, Gamespy has posted a great preview  that does a great job of explaining the appeal of the DQ series.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 08:19:13 PM »

There's a thread at GameFAQs with some pictures of the packaging.

One more week!

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »

I wasn't excited about this but lately something has just ...clicked and I am very hyped.  I have watched every video I could find and looked at tons of screenshots.

Next week can't come soon enough.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2005, 04:23:21 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I wasn't excited about this but lately something has just ...clicked and I am very hyped.  I have watched every video I could find and looked at tons of screenshots.

Next week can't come soon enough.

I WANT IT NOWWWWWW!!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »

Gamespot has a very cool new trailer here (Official Trailer 2).  I've read that the fight it shows is near the end of the game, but it's only a spoiler in the sense of what the enemy looks like, not who it is.  There's also some voice acting from Angelo and Jessica, both of whom sound great.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2005, 07:28:24 AM »

So yeah, I pre-ordered this yesterday. I wasn't meaning to originally, since I can't stand the art style, but damn, if the game underneath doesn't tickle my funnybone in a pleasant manner.

I'm still keeping a sideway glance at Magna Carta (and hoping it's a good game). That said, whose braindead idea was it to release this many RPGs at the same time??

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2005, 09:07:52 AM »

Ironically, none of the 3 RPGs being released next week were supposed to be released then.  DQ8 was originally scheduled for the 22nd, but then moved up a week, Magna Carta was scheduled for the 8th, but pushed back a week, and Wild ARMs was delayed several times, finally ending up on the 15th.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2005, 10:12:20 AM »

Even though I don't really want to, it's going to be REALLY hard resisting to pick up DQVIII and Wild ARMs along with Magna Carta and Mario Kart DS next week.

My wallet cries.

bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2005, 12:24:51 PM »

I am trying to decide between DQ8 and the new fire emblem for game cube. I have to actually repurchase either the PS2 or Gamecube to do this so I cant afford both. Is DQ8 going to be good enough to select over fire emblem?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2005, 03:04:02 PM »

Quote from: "bluntman72"
I am trying to decide between DQ8 and the new fire emblem for game cube. I have to actually repurchase either the PS2 or Gamecube to do this so I cant afford both. Is DQ8 going to be good enough to select over fire emblem?

I am really enjoying Fire Emblem for the Cube but I have to say it isn't as good as the ones for the GBA.  So I would buy a used GBA (if you don't have one) and get Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones used - maybe $90 total and then get a used PS2 and new DQ8.

bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 03:05:18 PM »

thanks I have a GBA SP I never use anymore so I will get that and go with the DQ8
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2005, 10:17:04 PM »

I solved the DQ8 or FECubed problem. Yup, I'm getting both.  :shock: People said I was crazy, but I showed them.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2005, 10:24:05 PM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
I solved the DQ8 or FECubed problem. Yup, I'm getting both.  :shock: People said I was crazy, but I showed them.

That's the spirit!  When in doubt . . . buy them both . . .  biggrin

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2005, 11:55:49 PM »

"I solved the DQ8 or FECubed problem. Yup, I'm getting both. Shocked People said I was crazy, but I showed them."
Hah - Crazy is buying DQ8, Magna Carta, and Wild ARMs Alter Code F all on the same day smile

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2005, 12:05:25 AM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I am really enjoying Fire Emblem for the Cube but I have to say it isn't as good as the ones for the GBA.

for what it's worth, same here - & i'm not sure why (possibly fe fatigue? - this's my third one this year!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2005, 12:35:36 AM »

How far along in the GC Fire Emblem are you guys? I think the GC one is much better than Sacred Stones. The map design is much better and there's more variety in each level. I particularly love the optional mission objectives, such as "Don't engage certain enemies, etc...".
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2005, 12:55:55 AM »

Quote from: "depward"
Even though I don't really want to, it's going to be REALLY hard resisting to pick up DQVIII and Wild ARMs along with Magna Carta and Mario Kart DS next week.

My wallet cries.

OMFGHI2U!!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2005, 02:37:20 AM »

Found and read some impressions about the FFXII demo.

Would anyone like to hear/read or would you all rather wait until you're able to play?

Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2005, 02:41:08 AM »

I'd certainly like to hear/read about the FF XII demo.

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2005, 02:48:50 AM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
I'd certainly like to hear/read about the FF XII demo.

I would like to hear about it, but with NO SPOILERS. HI2UFFXII!!! You make my day!!
depward

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2005, 02:49:02 AM »

Ok, well, I'll copy and paste it from the source.  It's basically just some impressions and explaining what the demo will be.

SPOILERS AS TO WHAT EXACTLY THE FFXII DEMO WILL BE!!!!!!!!!!

I have a review copy of DQ8 with FF12 demo I spent a bit of time playing the demo.

Its basically the SquareEnix Party Demo in English. There are two stages to choose Fon Coast and some Ruins.

On FOn Coast you have to kill 3 Selpnir (horse like creatures) to make Rockeater appear (TREX) after you beat it it ends.

In the Ruins you have to find a Dragon key off a monster then fight the boss. There are noe story scenes which im a bit disappointed by.

The demo lets you cast lots of magic spells you cannot enter the menus and there is no leveling up. Its seems the monster dont repsawn after you kill them anyway.

Graphics look great and battle system is pretty cool i think it will be up for debate amongs series fans as its quite a departure from the pevious versions.

Gambits make the battle very automated even for the character you control. As long as you choose attack you can sit back and watch, only interviening to use items as the other characters will heal them selves and you automagically.

Also MP restores automatically when your not fighting by letting it fill all the way you can cast a summon. Vann and Ashe are the only ones who can cast one. The summons replace the other two members of party, they basically attack and use special moves. Once Ashes' summon cast a big more like you typicall summon it takes a bit of time pretty cinematic looking attack but i not sure how I got it to do it as you cant really give them commands.

Overall im impressed but disappointed that the demo is not longer and does not feature any story scenes. I got to play the E3 demo 2 years of go and wish it was that, not sure why they opted not to include those scenes as well.

I have a bit of concern for the Batle system but it does add some freshness to the game, but may alienate some fans.

If you beat both parts of the demo it does play a new never before seen trailer of the games feature lots of new in game footage and lots of the new badguys and things famitsu been showing lately.

There some new game mechanics in the demo such as little exclamation marks over the lead characters head when things of interest are near you. Such as treasure and doors.

Enemies will fight each other and not just you, this can be used to your advantage. The little beams that show who's attacking what have been tone down a lot since the older demo its not as obtrusive.

Vaan can combo attacks i still not sure how but he did 6 hits in a row one time. Characters will path find automatically to enemies as long as you told them to attack.

Theres no voice acting in demo at all the new trailer after you beat the two demo have the japanese voices with english subs.

As for how long it is hard to say my second time thruogh I took more time but its about 30 mins i would say. There just not a whole lot to do in both senarios, its such a tease of a demo smile.

No mention of release date just a thanks for a playing and look forward to the release in 2006 no time frame suggested either.

The Music is good I enjoyed the music from Final Fantasy Tactics and it sounds pretty much like that. The Coast music is better than the Ruins.

The music just plays for like couple mins ir so then loops the battle win fanfare only plays at the end of the stage when you beat the boss. The characters do there win pose there as well its a up close shot and yu can see they are very detailed and nicely textured.

SPOILERS END!!  CONTINUE

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2005, 06:05:04 AM »

Very very very cool.
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2005, 02:31:16 PM »

Thanks for posting the demo information.  It's just the type of info I was looking for.  But about this:

There some new game mechanics in the demo such as little exclamation marks over the lead characters head when things of interest are near you. Such as treasure and doors.

Didn't FF IX have this?

Now playing: Suikoden 2 [PSX], Neverwinter Nights 2 [PC]
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2005, 02:36:44 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
How far along in the GC Fire Emblem are you guys? I think the GC one is much better than Sacred Stones. The map design is much better and there's more variety in each level. I particularly love the optional mission objectives, such as "Don't engage certain enemies, etc...".

I am up to chapter 12.  

What is dissapointing to me is all cosmetic.  The animations for battles were so boring I turned them off and that is something I really enjoyed with GBA games.  I also find the animations for the mounted units moving to be ugly - especially when they move diagonally...it just looks bad.  

I am also very annoyed that you can't full rotate the map.  I mean come on!  You have the power of the Cube and you couldn't make it so I can see every side?

All in all it feels like the built a good game which could go on any system - picked the Cube and did a tiny amount of improvements then shipped.  They just seem to have wasted all the opportunities that more powerful hardware gave them.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2005, 10:43:49 PM »

Quote from: "Qbe"
Thanks for posting the demo information.  It's just the type of info I was looking for.  But about this:

Didn't FF IX have this?

Now that you say that, yes I believe it did.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2005, 08:53:06 PM »

The official website has been updated with new videos, details, and some nice wallpapers, especially the one with the enemies.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2005, 09:13:35 PM »

Ok guys, the problem now remains:
There is a possibility I will get a 360 on the 22nd (much more likely I will sell it if I get it, cash in hand is important now).
Dragon Quest 8 and FFXII demo on the 15th
Magna Carta on the 15th.

I can MAYBE afford one. That means Magna Carta gets left out methinks frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2005, 09:19:39 PM »

The feminiate male lead character of Magna Carta cries that you want to leave him out   :cry:

But really, I mean hey, you gotta think here what's important to you.  So if no MC, then all good.  I mean, I'm sure I'll give impressions along with some other people.

Plus you were gushing the hell out of DQVIII, so that will occupy you.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2005, 09:44:35 PM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I can MAYBE afford one. That means Magna Carta gets left out methinks frown

before buying, you really oughta play the ps magazine dq demo - i was very up for dq, & the demo really helped me make my mind up (cancelled my pre-order, in favor of magna carta - no ffxii demo, load times, girlie-man & all)...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: