http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 08:49:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest IX on the DS?(confirmed)  (Read 13172 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:56 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 22, 2010, 04:30:29 PM

One complaint I forgot to mention is that when you alchemise armor or weapons, it just shows you the base state that it gives, but doesn't show something useful like how much it would raise or lower those stats for each character, like when you buy something.  It makes it hard to determine whether I should bother making the item.  I have to go to my equip screen and see what the value (attack for a weapon, for instance) is there and then compare manually.  Just one of those little complaints that you wonder why they didn't make it easier.

Yeah, this one bugs me as well.  I also wish you could get an explanation of what the skills in each line do before purchasing them (though I do have the strat guide). 

I still don't have really bad frame rates or am not as sensitive to it.  I have a DSi, but I didn't think it had any better hardware than the previous versions.  Could this be the cause?  Probably not...probably just it not bothering me so much.  I notice something is amiss when running around, but it doesn't seem to be too much worse.

I have a DSi XL and DS Lite and the framerate is identical on both. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:51 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on July 21, 2010, 10:44:47 PM

just as with dq8, i'm having a very hard time getting into this - i've reached the little town north of the castle, & it's just been horribly bland & unimaginative so far (& the generically pleasant background music hasn't helped). but, seeing how it took most of 10 hrs for dq8 to finally click for me, i'll continue to give it my best shot for a little longer...

anyone know if there are ever any storyline companions, or is it strictly make your own party? - if there are no storyline companions, that's a pretty major change to things (as in, no interaction/conversation or back stories, which were things i liked about dq8)...

really? I'm digging this more than 8.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 22, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on July 22, 2010, 07:13:51 PM

really? I'm digging this more than 8.

to be honest, yeah - after an equivalent amount of time into both games, i was liking dq8 more than i'm liking this smile ...

tho i've finally made it to the abbey, which i'm thinking is the equivalent of completing the first dungeon in demon's souls - 'real dq9 starts here'. so we'll see. i definitely would've preferred story-based party characters, but whatever - i'm one of those people that had a waaay better time with neverwinter nights than baldur's gate, so maybe it's just a matter of re-wrapping my head around it. but, after yangus & jessica, the main cast (if you can even call them that) in this game just feels pretty damn empty - there's no one there to like, really, which just feels weird smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2010, 01:51:57 AM »

Aside from Main Character (martial artist w/staff) I have a female blind swordsman who has turned treasure hunter after being kicked out of her line of work for reasons she keeps to herself (sword thief), a boy street urchin who was cast out at a very young age after his parents were terrified of his destructive and unnatural powers (mage), and a female tribal witch doctor who has only known life in the swamps--inspired by Jojen & Meera Reed (spear healer, doesn't wear shoes).
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2010, 04:25:45 AM »

damn! - you're lucky. me, i've got 3 barely-distinguishable-from-each-other cuties, who vanish when i ride the train, & then magically re-appear out of nowhere when i return. so far, anyway smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2010, 12:21:47 PM »

You need more RP in your RPG.  icon_wink
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2010, 01:36:27 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on July 23, 2010, 01:51:57 AM

. . . and a female tribal witch doctor who has only known life in the swamps--inspired by Jojen & Meera Reed (spear healer, doesn't wear shoes).
Not to derail, but when the hell is book 5 coming out!!!

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »

icon_neutral
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2010, 05:57:27 PM »

Passed the 10 hour mark this morning and I'm really enjoying it. I love that they managed to cram such a huge world into a DS game. Of the 10 hours, I'd say at least half of my time has been spent just wandering through the maps exploring. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that they removed the really tough optional monsters that would pop up in DQ8 every so often,

I love the graphics and music and Ihaven't found the frame rate drops in town to be too annoying yet. It does seem that the  the game starts really slowly, even for a Dragon Quest game. The other thing I'm disappointed with is how easy it's been so far. Difficulty is slowly ramping up, but I really liked how DQ8 threw you in the deep end right from the beginning.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2010, 08:02:13 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 24, 2010, 05:57:27 PM

Passed the 10 hour mark this morning and I'm really enjoying it. I love that they managed to cram such a huge world into a DS game. Of the 10 hours, I'd say at least half of my time has been spent just wandering through the maps exploring. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that they removed the really tough optional monsters that would pop up in DQ8 every so often,

I love the graphics and music and Ihaven't found the frame rate drops in town to be too annoying yet. It does seem that the  the game starts really slowly, even for a Dragon Quest game. The other thing I'm disappointed with is how easy it's been so far. Difficulty is slowly ramping up, but I really liked how DQ8 threw you in the deep end right from the beginning.

I believe there are places to run into crazy monsters once you unlock the ship and/or finish the main quest.  I've certainly seen mention of places with super difficult monsters.  I was breezing through the game, but I have run into places where I had to grind a bit in order to beat the bosses, so it isn't an entire cake walk.

I'm about 42 hours into the game now and jut really love it.  t doesn't do anything revolutionary or anything, but I find that I just can't put it down.  I am thinking I am pretty close to the end of the main story and I've done a good bit of optional quests.  I've even taken the time to change classes on a couple of characters and then spent time leveling those guys up.  All in all, it is a very fun game.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 24, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on July 24, 2010, 05:57:27 PM

You may actually be farther than me (I'm just up to Lleviathan) but while I, too, was very disappointed in how easy the game was in the beginning (easiest DQ opening other than DQ4 IMO), I've been pretty pleased to find that difficulty is ramping up nicely. 
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »

You must be ahead of me; I just arrived at Coffinwell (sp?). Good to hear that the game gets more balanced.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:36 PM »

I played alot this past weekend.  Got a main group into the low 30s in lvl.  I just re-jobbed everone to work on some lower level quests for a bit.  I don't think I'll ever kill a metal slime though, it's just too hard to keep them from running.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 26, 2010, 06:11:42 PM »

Have you tried getting everyone the metal slash skill from swords? 
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2010, 06:13:07 PM »

Quote from: Dramatist on July 26, 2010, 05:57:36 PM

I played alot this past weekend.  Got a main group into the low 30s in lvl.  I just re-jobbed everone to work on some lower level quests for a bit.  I don't think I'll ever kill a metal slime though, it's just too hard to keep them from running.

I did it last night to unlock the armamentalist profession.  If you want some help:

Spoiler for Hiden:
What I did was changed my mage's job to warrior and leveled him up enough to give him metal slash.  Then I went to the place where they spawn and just kept trying.  Some flee, but some don't and I was able to get the two I needed in maybe 20 or so minutes.

As for my game, I am really close to the end, but the boss I am fighting keeps kicking my butt.  I just did a bunch of grinding and got Multiheal and some other spell or ability that keeps instadeaths from occurring.  Hopefully that will help when I try again later today.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »

Where you did find the metal slimes?  I can't find where they spawn, and I'd love to finish off that quest.

Also, has anyone had any luck doing the quest for Brusque Lee where you have to use a War Cry on Scarewolves and finish them off?  I hit them with the War Cry and then kill them and it does NOTHING.  Driving me up a wall.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:20 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on July 26, 2010, 06:26:28 PM

Where you did find the metal slimes?  I can't find where they spawn, and I'd love to finish off that quest.

Also, has anyone had any luck doing the quest for Brusque Lee where you have to use a War Cry on Scarewolves and finish them off?  I hit them with the War Cry and then kill them and it does NOTHING.  Driving me up a wall.

Quarantomb, which I believe was the dungeon near Coffinwell.  Just keep running around and you will run into one.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17:27 PM »

Also, has anyone had any luck doing the quest for Brusque Lee where you have to use a War Cry on Scarewolves and finish them off?  I hit them with the War Cry and then kill them and it does NOTHING.  Driving me up a wall.

They have to be in the frightened state when you kill them.  So basically you have to hit the with war cry and then kill them within a turn.  I don't remember if you specifically have to kill them with your martial artist or not.

Update: Here's a thread on gamefaqs about it.  You do have to kill them with your martial artist.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 08:09:17 PM by kathode » Logged
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 26, 2010, 08:22:50 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 26, 2010, 07:17:27 PM

Also, has anyone had any luck doing the quest for Brusque Lee where you have to use a War Cry on Scarewolves and finish them off?  I hit them with the War Cry and then kill them and it does NOTHING.  Driving me up a wall.

They have to be in the frightened state when you kill them.  So basically you have to hit the with war cry and then kill them within a turn.  I don't remember if you specifically have to kill them with your martial artist or not.

Update: Here's a thread on gamefaqs about it.  You do have to kill them with your martial artist.

I just now finished this quest.  I didn't even have a martial artist in my party.  The person with War Cry was a priest during this quest.  I noticed they were almost always going first so I went to try and finish the quest.  My party was all lvl 12ish when I started and finished up lvls 13-14.  It seemed kinda buggy though.  I had to kill a couple extra Scarewolves with seemingly the right way but didn't get credit for them.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2010, 03:29:45 PM »

I can't believe just how much I love this game. I'm blown away with what a fantastic job they did on DQIX so far, and I've only put in around 11 hours yet. I know that the crazy quests annoy some people, but I actually find them entertaining. biggrin It's like going for crazy-ass achievements in 360 games, because they really are completely optional (you can finish the main quest without doing any of the crazier quests).

The amount of content they crammed into this game is staggering compared to my expectations.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2010, 06:32:06 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on July 26, 2010, 06:13:07 PM

As for my game, I am really close to the end, but the boss I am fighting keeps kicking my butt.  I just did a bunch of grinding and got Multiheal and some other spell or ability that keeps instadeaths from occurring.  Hopefully that will help when I try again later today.

Yep, having Multiheal and Alma Mater made the difference.  I even went on and beat the next boss encounter, managing to come back and win after having two of my party down.  I think all I have to do now is make it through this next dungeon piece and do the final boss encounter and then I will have beaten the main story.  Definitely has been fun and I will continue to work side quests after I finish.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:14 PM »

There is so much to do!

I finally figured out how to unlock the Armamentalist and now everyone is back to lvl 1 with new classes.  I think my four characters have close to 5 classes each with the highest being in the low 30s.  I just keep working on side quests, grottos and alchemy components and forget the main story every once in a while.  This is a very fun game.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »

Where/when do you start getting grottos to explore anyway?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:16 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 28, 2010, 07:17:08 PM

Where/when do you start getting grottos to explore anyway?
Spoiler for Hiden:
You get your first treasure map when you complete the quest for Christopher Collapsus, which is the dude that is lying down right at Zere Rocks.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:43 PM »

Has anyone downloaded the new quests?  I believe there have been two released so far, but I'd imagine they're both high-level quests.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2010, 10:22:30 PM »

I talked to the woman who links you up with the DQVC or whatever it is.  I got a message that said "you have new quests" but I couldn't find any more info about them.  I assumed they just get populated into the world and you have to stumble across them.  Is that right?
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 28, 2010, 10:22:30 PM

I talked to the woman who links you up with the DQVC or whatever it is.  I got a message that said "you have new quests" but I couldn't find any more info about them.  I assumed they just get populated into the world and you have to stumble across them.  Is that right?

If you go to your Quest List in the Battle Records section, there will be a new Extra Quest section.  The quests from the download will be in there.  At first, the three I had in there are all had ??? and if you selected them, it would say on the top screen that you can't accept it yet.  One of them recently turned, though, and while it still said ???, the text at the top told me the quest would get started in Upnor.  Not sure what I did to get that to unlock or why the other two aren't.

Edit to add that now that I went to Upnor to accept that quest (Quest 121), it no longer says ???.  So, it probably unlocked once I did the stuff at Upnor and I just didn't know because all I was doing was looking at the fact that it said ??? and not the text on the top screen.  If I had to guess about the other two quests and why they are not telling me where to go, I would guess either I have to do quest 121 or beat the game.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:33:06 PM by The Grue » Logged

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 30, 2010, 03:31:07 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  Two new quests came down for me this morning.  They still say ??? in my log but I'm not too far in the story.  Also the DQVC store had some mid to high level items available in addition to the usual alchemy stuff.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 30, 2010, 03:35:51 PM »

Quote from: kathode on July 30, 2010, 03:31:07 PM

Thanks for the tips.  Two new quests came down for me this morning.  They still say ??? in my log but I'm not too far in the story.  Also the DQVC store had some mid to high level items available in addition to the usual alchemy stuff.

No problem.  By the way, I did Quest 121 and the others are still not available and I added yet another quest today.  I now have two quests that say Story next to them.  I can't do any of the three left in there, so I guess I better get this finally boss battle out of the way so I can do them. smile  I do keep trying to finish, but all my characters are hitting 40, which means I keep getting distracted and going off to do their quests to get their scrolls for their extra abillity.  I did the mage and the gladiator ones which give me a spell that makes all enemies weaker and a skill that sometimes allows me to hit twice in a round, respectively.  The priest one is going to be hard to do as it involves casting Moreheal on a person in your party who only has a tiny bit of health left.  It's kind of hard to get them with that perfect amount of health left.  My Ranger is 39, so not sure what hers is yet.

I think I am at almost 60 hours of playtime (somewhere between 55 and 60) and still enjoying the game.

Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: August 03, 2010, 02:58:50 PM »

I just passed the 100 hour mark yesterday.  I'm still not finished with the main story, I keep getting sidetracked.  I just unlocked the Sage so I made changed everyone to lvl 1 with a sage in the party.  When I head back to the main story I'll have a group with a Gladiator, Martial Artist, Mage and Priest.  I might keep the Priest as a Sage.  Both my Gladiator and Martial Artist can equip shields and they do loads of damage.  Now with the Sage I can change classes in the world and not have to head back to Alltrades, that's awesome.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 11:10:14 PM by Dramatist » Logged
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:06 PM »

A bunch of Best Buys are doing a DQIX Meet'n'Greet event this Saturday.  If you've got one near you it might be worth trying to go so you can complete the tag mode thing at the inn.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2010, 04:05:08 AM »

Quote from: Dramatist on August 03, 2010, 02:58:50 PM

I just passed the 100 hour mark yesterday.  I'm still not finished with the main story, I keep getting sidetracked.  I just unlocked the Sage so I made changed everyone to lvl 1 with a sage in the party.  When I head back to the main story I'll have a group with a Gladiator, Martial Artist, Mage and Priest.  I might keep the Priest as a Sage.  Both my Gladiator and Martial Artist can equip shields and they do loads of damage.  Now with the Sage I can change classes in the world and not have to head back to Alltrades, that's awesome.

How do you get the Gladiator to be able to wield a shield?

I finished up the main story last night after 70 hours of play.  I plan on going around and finishing up extra quests and doing the grottos.  I had 4 quests that I had gotten from download that I couldn't accept.  Upon finishing the game, three unlocked.   I did the one marked as story and it unlocked the last one.

I was level 45 on a couple of characters and 43 on the other two in order to beat the final boss.

Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2010, 04:47:07 AM »

By allocating 100 skill points in the shield ability. Then any class can equip the shield. You can do the same thing with other weapons too.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2010, 06:14:31 AM »

I've now put 20+ hours into the game and I love it. It hasn't grabbed me in the same way that DQVIII did, but I'm having trouble putting the game down so I can do some work. Love the job system, probably spent the last few hours just doing job-related quests.

Going on vacation starting Thursday, so I'm hoping I can get some solid play time in this week.
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2010, 03:04:59 PM »

I've now put it over 150 hours and I beat my first legacy boss last night.  Didn't know what it was til it asked me to donate my exp. for beating it to it so it would lvl up.

My main crew is in the 60s now except my Sage who's lvl 58.  I'm doing Grottos and random side quests.  I'm still having fun and getting to see new content every time I play.  This game has surpassed Final Fantasy Tactics A2 as my most played DS game.
Eel Snave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »

I actually got 35 hours in and decided to restart. I borked my characters at the beginning of the game by having them all level up in weapon techniques instead of their respective class-based skills, so I was getting into some really tough scrapes right around Swinedimples Academy. So I started over, which really doesn't bother me, except for ALL THE FRICKING ITEMS I lost. Ah well.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2010, 05:58:16 PM »

But...  You could've just reclassed them all so you wouldn't lose your progress. Plus you level a lot faster after reclassing because you have more expensive equipment and skills carried over from the previous classes. Plus there are more than enough skill points to go around. Plus there's nothing wrong with putting points in weapon skills first--in fact it's often recommended so you'll be even more able to powerlevel your next class. Plus why would you ever want to completely restart??!!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 16, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »

Just to further illustrate my bafflement, I wanted my thief to be able to use shields so I parked my 3rd and fourth party members and took my thief and main character from level 1-21 a few times via metal slimes and metal slime stacks. Got the thief 100 skill points in a couple hours, viola universal shield equip, back to thievery and the main quest.  It would've been just as easy for you to quickly boost your whole party up to whatever amount of point levels you wanted them to have.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 06:10:13 PM by wonderpug » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 16, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Eel Snave on August 16, 2010, 03:14:05 PM

I actually got 35 hours in and decided to restart.

icon_eek eek

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dramatist
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 16, 2010, 09:29:09 PM »

Yeah, I have changed classes a bunch.  My hero is a lvl 64 Gladiator, 37 Ranger, 34 Minstrel, 28 Martial Artist, 27 Warrior, 23 Thief, 21 Paladin and 20 Priest.  Everyone has the Thief skill half-inch for quicker stealing.  I'm hoping to unlock the Luminary soon and I'll probably start a lvl 1 party over when I do.  My hero also has 148 unused skill points that I'm sure he'll use eventually, but doesn't need them as a Gladiator.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: