http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:47:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - yay? nay? I gots it? I wants it?  (Read 1843 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »

I'm a sucker for simplistic, funny little crazy games.

This one seems to fit the bill.

For example, in the IGN review (8.5 SNAP) they say that:

To top things off, Rocket Slime makes a ton of odd little mentions to the Square universe, including a ton of objects from various Dragon Quest games, as well as funny spin-off names to enemies, areas, and objects (such as the mobile fortress from the forest level called the "Chrono-Twigger"). It really is the adventure equivalent to what LEGO Star Wars has done on consoles, and any Square fan dismissing this one as "too kiddy" is seriously going to be missing out.

Chrono Twigger?  That's awesome!  That's hoTT.  Who is getting it?  And who can persuade me to get it?  Because I want it... I think.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:17:33 PM »

You obviously want it, or you wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating this thread  icon_twisted

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 07:42:33 PM »

I want it.  I *will* have it.  Just probably not this week.  Unless maybe I can come up with a third DS along with Megaman ZX in Best Buy's Buy 2 get 1 free sale.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 07:48:36 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 19, 2006, 07:17:33 PM

You obviously want it, or you wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating this thread  icon_twisted
Oh Eddie, you vagabond you - logic has nothing to do with my thought process!   Tongue

Eh, looked at some vids, reviews, looks like a good, clean, fun time.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 08:35:06 PM »

Supposedly, it's not out until tomorrow.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on September 19, 2006, 08:35:06 PM

Supposedly, it's not out until tomorrow.
That's the way THEE winds blow with 95% of video game releases, matey.  Arrrrr!

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:08:24 AM »

The spot gave it a 7.8.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 12:11:10 AM »

Yeah I picked up this sonuvagun during my lunch break today.  Hopefully I can plug some time into it soon!

I'm blaming it on a self-induced GT forum effect.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 01:34:00 AM »

hehheh...

when i picked up okami, i got so much on my trade-ins that i grabbed this as well, and just finished mucking around with it for an hour. all i can say, so far, is: you want weird? - you got weird! very surprised the game doesn't use the touchscreen, but personally have no problem with that, as i've never thought just because a game's on the ds is needs to. nice graphics, kinda blah but acceptable music, and, well, 'unique' gameplay (i haven't gotten beyond the 'elasto-blast' & carry'n'toss techniques). looks good for short sessions - leave town, grab treasures/monsters, rescue townspeople, and, when you've had enough, hop on a cart, go home, and confess (i think her name was mother glooperior?). definitely a bit different, and probably only silly people need apply...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 02:10:57 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on September 21, 2006, 01:34:00 AM

hehheh...

when i picked up okami, i got so much on my trade-ins that i grabbed this as well, and just finished mucking around with it for an hour. all i can say, so far, is: you want weird? - you got weird! very surprised the game doesn't use the touchscreen, but personally have no problem with that, as i've never thought just because a game's on the ds is needs to. nice graphics, kinda blah but acceptable music, and, well, 'unique' gameplay (i haven't gotten beyond the 'elasto-blast' & carry'n'toss techniques). looks good for short sessions - leave town, grab treasures/monsters, rescue townspeople, and, when you've had enough, hop on a cart, go home, and confess (i think her name was mother glooperior?). definitely a bit different, and probably only silly people need apply...
Silly.  Is good.  I am silly.  semiconscious is silly.  WHO ELSE?!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:34 AM »

Played through the first boss and had a blast with it.  Doesn't seem like it'll be a long game, but it does look like a good one.  Looking forward to my first tank battle, too, but am worried that it will change the game too much.  Not using subject "I."

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 03:25:17 PM »

I will use subject "I" to report that I purchased this game yesterday as well. I played it for about half an hour. I thought it was fun. I didn't think it was great. I look forward to spending more time with it. I will be be playing Okami rather than Rocketslime for the foreseeable future. I thank you.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »

a word of explanation: i'm playing this here'n'there rather than okami non-stop because my wife wants to watch okami as i play...

fought the first boss (twice), met cid, & got the cannon. i do like this game, but agree with rrmorton, it's good (basically a glorified gameboy game), but not great. then again, it's still pretty early (i've only saved 11 slimes), so we'll see...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
depward

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 05:51:52 AM »

So I've put in 2.75 hours and it's been a very fun 2.75 hours.  Sure it's a bit on the easy side, but jesus if it doesn't have a shartload of personality.  Just a fun little game!  The tank battles really are pretty cool, even if they're a bit simplistic in nature.  Though the whole two cannon thing adds SOME kind of strategy in there . . . along with sometimes when baddies shoot across and fly into your tank.  And how you need to elasto over to the enemy tank to strike it in the heart to destroy it.

Anyway, if you're a fan of DQVIII (admittedly I really wasn't, but after playing this I want to go back into playing it!) you'll dig it.  It has some same music in there, some baddie characters from DQVIII, and more.

Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »

Can someone describe the gameplay on this one? Is it more like the GBA Zelda games, more RPGish?

I am on the fence and would like a cool new title for my DS
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 06:59:31 AM »

Finished her up tonight.  Clocked in at 12.5 hours.  100 slimes saved, game complete!

For a review "score" I would very much agree with IGN's 8.5.  It's a fun game that I enjoyed all the way through - it kept on introducing new elements in gameplay throughout (sort of like how you obtain different tools for Zelda games, that sort of thing) and the tank battles were quite fun indeed.  It was a fairly easy adventure, though, the last several tank battles were a little harder than usual.

Poomba - I would say it's more like GBA Zelda-game gameplay.  Quite simplistic, but very fun.

There's some replayability to be had, with collecting, tank battling, and multiplayer, which I'll most likely do.

The 'punniness' doesn't stop through the whole game - even the end-game credits is punny and has the whole "Executive Progoocer" sort of thing to it.  Definately lighthearted.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »

Quote from: depward on September 25, 2006, 06:59:31 AM

The 'punniness' doesn't stop through the whole game - even the end-game credits is punny and has the whole "Executive Progoocer" sort of thing to it.  Definately lighthearted.

It's funny because the puns are one of the things that I really enjoy about the game and yet Gamespot listed it as a negative and I assume docked their review score because of it.  Sometimes gamers take themselves a little too seriously.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 01:45:45 PM »

I played this a while longer. I don't think I like it. I might trade it in today.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 11:02:23 PM »

okay, i messed around with this again yesterday, finally had a series of tank battles, & i stand corrected, this game's more than just 'good', it's totally whacked & a whole lot of dumb fun. if you've got nothing else going on on the ds, well worth checking...

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2006, 11:21:52 PM »

I got this with trade-in credit recently, which made it easier to take the risky plunge.  icon_wink

Lots of fun, lots of humor, I'm really digging it.

And in the tank battles?  you can put other guys into the cannons!

AWESOME!

I hauled off an invader and launched him from one of my cannons, it was great!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 02:39:33 AM »

I just got my 100th slime tonight.  I will of course want to get all the items and recipes and such, so I still have some work to do.  The one thing about the tank battles is found a pretty sure way to win tank battles:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get a knight dude, go break into the other tank, and smash everything there.  Then, I return to the tank and help out with the items.  Even for the tank battles where they get my health down to zero, I just beat off the baddies until my crew gets theirs down to 0.  Then, I kill all their baddies in one go and run over to the tank and destroy it.  Once I figured this out, I never lost another tank battle.  The only tough one after that point was the one in the end realm where the opposing crew was all statues, because I had forgotten how to kill them, if there was a way.

Still, it was a very fun game and I hate that Gamespot knocked it for the puns, because it was very much a part of the charm of the game.  Definitely an easy game, but easy doesn't equate with bad as long as the game is fun and I definitely had a fun time with it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2006, 02:55:07 PM »

I was really hoping this would grab me (since there's nothing else out for the DS right now), but I just couldn't get past the "meh" feeling the entire time I was playing.  I enjoyed DQ VIII and usually like Squeenix games, but Rocket Slime just felt very boring to me. 

My copy's up for grabs in the Trading Forum if anyone wants to take a crack at it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2006, 12:26:44 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 06, 2006, 02:39:33 AM

I just got my 100th slime tonight.  I will of course want to get all the items and recipes and such, so I still have some work to do.  The one thing about the tank battles is found a pretty sure way to win tank battles:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I get a knight dude, go break into the other tank, and smash everything there.  Then, I return to the tank and help out with the items.  Even for the tank battles where they get my health down to zero, I just beat off the baddies until my crew gets theirs down to 0.  Then, I kill all their baddies in one go and run over to the tank and destroy it.  Once I figured this out, I never lost another tank battle.  The only tough one after that point was the one in the end realm where the opposing crew was all statues, because I had forgotten how to kill them, if there was a way.

Still, it was a very fun game and I hate that Gamespot knocked it for the puns, because it was very much a part of the charm of the game.  Definitely an easy game, but easy doesn't equate with bad as long as the game is fun and I definitely had a fun time with it.

agreed - strange, somewhat easy, very fun game - tho, as far as your spoiler, i'm not sure, outside of spending several more hours with the game gathering items for the pot, there is any other way to beat the final few tank battles, especially the last one:

Spoiler for Hiden:
those huge mutha rockets blew my mind!...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: