http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:49:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest 8 impressions  (Read 1443 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2004, 08:14:12 AM »

IGN and Gamespot have posted their impressions of the Japanese version of Dragon Quest (Warrior) 8, which was just released in Japan.  I really wish I knew Japanese right now slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 03:47:37 PM »

I should just learn Japanesse.  It would save me so many months of waiting.

Oh well.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 06:10:03 PM »

I've thought this too. I wonder just how difficult the language is to pick up. I imagine it would be a little easier since I'm interested just in reading the language, rather than speaking it or hearing it. Still, isn't Japanese supposed to be notoriously difficult for Westerners to pick up?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 06:16:32 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Still, isn't Japanese supposed to be notoriously difficult for Westerners to pick up?

That's what I've heard too.  I spent about a month in Japan while I was deployed on a submarine and a friend of mine on the ship knew the languange very well but admitted that it had taken years of studying and was much more difficult than the Romance languages.  Considering that trying to learn French in high school kicked my butt I'd be hopeless with Japanese.
wankerjr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 06:56:59 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Still, isn't Japanese supposed to be notoriously difficult for Westerners to pick up?

That's what I've heard too.  I spent about a month in Japan while I was deployed on a submarine and a friend of mine on the ship knew the languange very well but admitted that it had taken years of studying and was much more difficult than the Romance languages.  Considering that trying to learn French in high school kicked my butt I'd be hopeless with Japanese.

It's all about memorization of characters and the grammar. Of course I'm basing this off my study of Mandarin Chinese. Once you figure out the grammar it's all about memorization which I really have a hard time doing.

How does this work again?
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 07:22:28 PM »

My last semester of college, I needed three more elective credits to graduate, so I took a semester of beginning japanese thinking it would be easy.  Well it was probably the hardest class I took during college with the exception of 3D calculus.  In all honesty, it was the last semester of my senior year and studying was not a priority, but it was still quite difficult.  Multiple alphabets, crazy inflections, symbols that relate to nothing whatsoever in the western experience (even the cyrillic alphabet has some similarities to the Roman letters).  I wouldn't recommend trying to pick it up unless you're a big masochist.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 07:30:57 PM »

Japanese is frickin' hard.  Just wait for localization.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 08:13:02 PM »

Japanese is pretty hard.  I'm in my third semester of it right now.  I can read the words in the screenshots, but I couldn't tell you what they mean <G>

Travis

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 09:00:42 PM »

I've been working on learning Japanese on my own (i.e. no classes) since late July.  From what I've always heard, learning the language well enough to play RPGs can take years, and I believe it.  As previously mentioned, you have 3 different writing systems, one of which consists of thousands of characters imported from Chinese.  The grammar is quite different from most any other language and, of course, you have a whole new vocabulary to learn.  And don't forget politeness levels.  Doing it on your own can be a big challenge.  I'm having a great time, but YMMV of course.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 12:31:33 AM »

I want that game so bad it's not even funny.  Can't wait for localization!

I relish the days of kicking blue slimes' butts playing DW1.  The music rocks in that game too.  Oh, and I want that blue slime controller that was posted awhile ago along with the game   biggrin

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 02:44:24 AM »

Ahhh... The only game for PS2 I care about anymore. I can't wait.

Do they still have to release these on the weekend in Japan? (To avoid people ditching school or work)
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 03:06:34 AM »

Quote from: "Belgedin"
Ahhh... The only game for PS2 I care about anymore. I can't wait.

Do they still have to release these on the weekend in Japan? (To avoid people ditching school or work)

Yep I heard it was released on a Saturday.  I dunno, I personally enjoy skipping classes so I can pick up a new release on a Wednesday.  Though, I don't see that happening in about a year in a half when I'm out in the "real world."

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: