http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest 8 annoyances  (Read 736 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2005, 09:02:10 PM »

I love the game but there are some really really annoying things which actually seem to get worse just because they happen again and again.

1. Why can't I move more than one item at a time out of my 'bag'?  I would like to move as many healing herbs as possible, not just one at a time.

2. Why, if you let a shop keeper 'organize' your inventory do they move all healing herbs out to make room for *one* item?  How about just move one?

3. Why can't I find out what order turns will come in?  Sometimes Jessica is first, sometimes the hero, sometimes Yangus (who normally is very slow).  I   would like a little clue!

4. If I use 'tactics' my team will change *on the fly* but I can't do that so actually it is better to use 'tactics' becuase the outcome will be better!  It shouldn't be better not to plan.

5. Why is the world map so useless?  Maybe it is me, but I can't find crap with that map - should it have town names on it?

6. Why can't recipies be complete?  I am all for having to find them, but it is annoying how little they say.  Stuff like "combine a bronze sword with 'something sharp'"  is not a really helpful description.  I know they want people to experiment but it is annoying.

7. Why is this game so freaking addictive and wonderful that I can't stop thinking about it?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 09:05:35 PM »

5. Why is the world map so useless? Maybe it is me, but I can't find crap with that map - should it have town names on it?

Disagree here- I think the world map works just fine.  Are you using the zoomed in view?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 09:27:02 PM »

I agree with those points, but they haven't annoyed me yet, with the exception of the World Map.  It's actually very helpful, I just wish I could scroll it around.  Close is too close and zoom is too far away for me.

3. Why can't I find out what order turns will come in? Sometimes Jessica is first, sometimes the hero, sometimes Yangus (who normally is very slow). I would like a little clue!
Is there an actual order?  I thought it was based on Agility and using certain moves took a longer time, but I haven't figured it out yet either.  It seems Jessica and Angelo go first about 90% of the time.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 09:31:56 PM »

I agree with your gripes, but they haven't annoyed me too badly yet.  

When do you get the world map?  I'm about 15 hours in, and having to commit the landscape to memory is driving me nuts.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 09:36:52 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
Is there an actual order?  I thought it was based on Agility and using certain moves took a longer time, but I haven't figured it out yet either.  It seems Jessica and Angelo go first about 90% of the time.

I don't think anyone knows.  Most people seem to be guessing agility then some other modifiers, but since you can't see the monsters agility and since your team obviously doesn't follow that strictly....anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 09:37:43 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"

When do you get the world map?  I'm about 15 hours in, and having to commit the landscape to memory is driving me nuts.

For those spoiler sensitive :
Spoiler for Hiden:
You get the map after the quest in Maella Abbey.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 11:42:22 PM »

Who goes first in DW/DW games has allways been dictated by your agility and some times the type of attack can affect it as well. Note, it's not exactly that who has the highest AGL goes first, it's who has the highest AGL has a better chance of going first.

There are some spells in the game that will make your character the last to go regardless of agility. So you can get a good idea based on the agilities of your party member as to who will have a better chance at being first. The series has never had anything that showed battle order, it's part of the randomness of the series.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 12:30:48 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Who goes first in DW/DW games has allways been dictated by your agility and some times the type of attack can affect it as well. Note, it's not exactly that who has the highest AGL goes first, it's who has the highest AGL has a better chance of going first.

There are some spells in the game that will make your character the last to go regardless of agility. So you can get a good idea based on the agilities of your party member as to who will have a better chance at being first. The series has never had anything that showed battle order, it's part of the randomness of the series.

Just becuase they have never had it doesn't make it good - in fact that is kinda why it is an annoyance.  smile

I appreciate the retro aspect of the game but I think with a few simple changes they could have improved the game enormously.

And as to the agility thing it is useless becuase you don't know the enemies agility (unless there is some way to check which I don't know) so even if you know who on your team will go first you have no idea if all the enemies will attack before then, just one, two, etc.

Which gets to my other annoyance about the AI on 'tactics' doing better.  Basically depending on how the round goes Yangus (who "usually" goes last) can cast heal on the team member with the lowest HP if their HP really drops.  A person has to pick Yangus's action before seeing how the round goes which means you may attack when really you need to heal.  To me that is annoying.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: