http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 03:13:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age: Where to buy?  (Read 12443 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »

Encase anyone is interested, I picked up the CE game and the CE guide at Bestbuy.  All of the Bestbuys near me (Westchester, NY & Fairfield CT) had copies in, while the local Ebgames near me said that the CE versions are not being sold anymore...

The metal case is a dvd style case, slightly bigger and... metal.  It comes with the small manual, a couple of cards with the extra content codes on them, a less-than-decent cloth map, and an extra dvd.  The map is not too bad, but no where near the quality of the Ultima games of course.  It's pretty clear to read, but this thing was folded to fit into the small case so the quality is not great.

The CE guide is over 400 pages.  So far the quality of it seems similar to the Fallout3 CE guide.  There's all the typical character building info, walkthroughs, maps, etc.  Then at the end is a 60-70 page extra section filled with lore and world history.  This section very good as it is mostly words rather than flashy pictures with little written content.  There are also a few pages of concept art.  The book is sturdy and hardcover, with a very nicely designed cover.

I haven't even installed the game or read much of the manual or guide yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the game box or guide.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 03, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on November 03, 2009, 09:39:12 PM

I haven't even installed the game or read much of the manual or guide yet, but I'd be happy to answer any questions about the game box or guide.

could either be used as some type of weapon which I could in turn use to bash in my head while waiting to actually register the game?   icon_wink

edit:  just got off live chat with ea support.  they say the registration problem with keys already being shown as IN USE is a known issue and that they expect to have it resolved within 2 to 3 hours.  good job, ea!   the terrorists have won.  icon_frown
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:54:28 PM by hepcat » Logged

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 03, 2009, 10:24:20 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on November 03, 2009, 09:39:12 PM

... a less-than-decent cloth map ...

That makes me feel a little better about not getting it in the tin can, which I was considering pretty much for the map alone. Loved me those Ultima cloth maps back in the day.  nod

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 03, 2009, 10:41:44 PM »

The cloth map isn't as bad as I was expecting.  It isn't Ultima 7 quality but it's better than the last cloth map I got (can't recall which game it was but I remember the quality being horrible). 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 03, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »

How's the manual? (in the normal box). Is it big or a typical minimalist manual of recent years?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 03, 2009, 11:09:28 PM

How's the manual? (in the normal box). Is it big or a typical minimalist manual of recent years?

A typical MMORY?   icon_biggrin

morlac00 on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »

Minimalist.  It's fine on how to play but it's pretty useless as a reference guide- ie there is no large compendium of skills, spells, tables, etc that you would like from an epic CRPG.  
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2009, 11:35:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 03, 2009, 11:28:42 PM

Minimalist.  It's fine on how to play but it's pretty useless as a reference guide- ie there is no large compendium of skills, spells, tables, etc that you would like from an epic CRPG.  

That's too bad.  I was all ready to print out the manual.  Anyway, I trucked home for lunch to start the download process in Impulse, so hopefully it will be done by the time I get home.  I was only averaging about 500kb/s or so, which is a little disappointing in view of what some folks posted here.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2009, 12:08:03 AM »

Impulse is downloading right now, the only question is which will finish first: the download/install or the Nyquil taking effect.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 04, 2009, 12:13:21 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 03, 2009, 10:41:44 PM

The cloth map isn't as bad as I was expecting.  It isn't Ultima 7 quality but it's better than the last cloth map I got (can't recall which game it was but I remember the quality being horrible). 

I think Icewind Dale had a cloth map, and this is a step below that.  There are strands that hang off the sides, giving it a somewhat cool frayed look, but I know if I tugged at them easily, the whole thing would unravel. 
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 04, 2009, 01:02:07 AM »

I should have known better than to pick digital download.  Nothing but issues all day.  Still not playing even though my download finished around 4 today.  There are now multiple problems popping up with the DE and Impulse not to mention the many issues EA is having right now.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 04, 2009, 01:39:04 AM »

Quote from: ericb on November 04, 2009, 01:02:07 AM

I should have known better than to pick digital download.  Nothing but issues all day.  Still not playing even though my download finished around 4 today.  There are now multiple problems popping up with the DE and Impulse not to mention the many issues EA is having right now.

grab a pirate crack executable.   it's the only way to play your legally purchased game.   slywink

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2009, 01:59:40 AM »

For those having trouble logging into their EA accounts via the activation program in Dragon Age, chalk it up to poor programming.

If you have any kind of special characters like @, &, or #, the program will not accept them as part of your password.  Which is stupid since using those symbols helps make a strong password, and the actual EA website lets you use those symbols.

You'll have to edit your password to not use any of those characters to login to the activation program and enter your serial.

STUPID STUPID PROGRAMMING.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2009, 02:05:26 AM »

The whole thing has been poor programming...and as much as I want to blame Impulse for the download/install problems I know the real problem is EA.  Again.  I should have pirated the game after all...I could have been playing for the past few hours instead of reading forum posts from EA going uh....well....try again in 3-4 hours...maybe... mad
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2009, 02:06:10 AM »

I would believe that except my pass is simpy alphanumeric in content and I still cannot register my key if i use the original executable.

eric, grab a cracked executable and then go to http://forums.impulsedriven.com/368318 for info on how to get your dlc's downloaded and installed.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2009, 02:12:28 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 04, 2009, 01:59:40 AM

For those having trouble logging into their EA accounts via the activation program in Dragon Age, chalk it up to poor programming.

If you have any kind of special characters like @, &, or #, the program will not accept them as part of your password.  Which is stupid since using those symbols helps make a strong password, and the actual EA website lets you use those symbols.

You'll have to edit your password to not use any of those characters to login to the activation program and enter your serial.

STUPID STUPID PROGRAMMING.

The whole Steam digital download has been a serious pain in the ass.  Both activating and decrypting the game, and the whole DLC thing has taken so much messing around to work.  And people wonder why console games generally sell more these days.

Having said that, now that I've finally seemed to fix everything (after a few hours), the game really seems like it's going to be incredible... and it's really the type of game you want to play on the PC.

We'll see.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 04, 2009, 02:36:00 AM »

Thankfully, I had almost zero issues with the Impulse download.  The only thing I ran into was not being able to access the online profile from in game at first, but it was OK a little bit later.  I played for a few minutes and then had to leave for work. 

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 04, 2009, 02:43:45 AM »

Well, I had the pleasure of coming home tonight to find an error in the download process on Impulse.  Looks like I have to start from SCRATCH.  This really sucks.  Guess I won't be playing until tomorrow.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 04, 2009, 03:20:01 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 03, 2009, 09:01:29 PM

Yes, I suspect that's going to be the issue. I bought another game at the same time I pre-ordered and had it moved over from my gmail account (the 'wrong' one) to the account tied to Impulse. I thought it had transferred both but it seems I'll need to repeat the process for DA.

Turned out to be a non-issue, it was there but she didn't see it. Errr... ok. Good thing is it only took a little bit over an hour to download, then not all that much longer to unpack and install it.  thumbsup Now off to see if I have any of these dreaded EA issues...

-craig

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 04, 2009, 03:33:33 AM »

Question for folks who downloaded via Impulse:  Did it take more than a few minutes to "extract" after downloading?  My file seems to have been at that stage for about 20 minutes now.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2009, 03:35:08 AM »

Quote from: kadnod on November 04, 2009, 03:33:33 AM

Question for folks who downloaded via Impulse:  Did it take more than a few minutes to "extract" after downloading?  My file seems to have been at that stage for about 20 minutes now.

I've seen on the forums that some people needed around 30 minutes to extract and verify after downloading.

As for my issues...I gave up on Win7 64 bit.  I didn't have much to move so I went ahead and backed it up, wiped and installed win7 32 bit instead.  I now have a clean install with nothing but Win7, office and impulse and I'm going to start the install of Dragon Age before going to bed.  I'll try it again in the morning and see how it goes...I'm sure I'll still have to install the updated manually but hopefully the "game is misconfigured, please reinstall" message will be gone.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:40:24 AM by ericb » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 04, 2009, 03:35:49 AM »

yeah, that's gonna be the least of your problems tonight, my friend.   slywink

kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 04, 2009, 03:39:52 AM »

Quote from: ericb on November 04, 2009, 03:35:08 AM

I've seen on the forums that some people needed around 30 minutes to extract and verify after downloading.

Thanks.

Quote from: hepcat
yeah, that's gonna be the least of your problems tonight, my friend.

Ha!

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: November 04, 2009, 04:07:59 AM »

Let's see...I grabbed my preorder copy from Gamestop, installed it, and started playing in just a few minutes as I already had a Bioware Social account (from making and uploading my character the other day).

The free DLC it came with took a while to accept into their system (I was afraid the codes vanished into the void) but apparently Bioware's site was just overloading (badly). I was playing and about 30 minutes later, the game nicely told me that the downloads were done and that I needed to restart to run the game with them on. If you've played Oblivion or Morrowind, you'll understand how the mod system works (gotta start the game with them 'active' to have the mods working, and you can turn them off just as easily).

I think it's late enough to grab Warden's Keep. Maybe I'll wait a bit later to see if the congestion goes away.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 04, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »

Quote from: morlac on November 03, 2009, 11:28:33 PM

A typical MMORY?   icon_biggrin

Nice. smile

Well, I had doubts about my PC, but went ahead and picked it up at Target after dinner at my parents' house. (Happy Birthday Mom!)

First off, I had trouble unlocking the DLC that came with it, until I left the "-"s out. Just enter the chars/nums. I did enter capital letters, but I am not sure if that's needed.

So for those wondering here is my low end PC (a hair over the min specs): (Athlon 64 x2 3800, 2G memory, XP, Geforce 7800.) Much to my surprise and delight, so far, the game plays just fine. It put me on basically medium settings (AA turned off. I almost never enable this in any game) at the minimum 16:10 resolution. I have since bumped this up to 1440x900. I tried 1680x1050 but there were a lot of hitches. At 1440x900 it hitches occasionally, but seems fine (though I only played at this resolution for a limited time in an enclosed space so more testing is needed). Without using FRAPS I would estimate my framerate is around 20s-30s. No severe dips into the teens other than the odd hitch. I am pleasantly surprised. (with some caveats)

Early impressions. I played about one and a half hours. Still in the prologue of the mage (I almost always play fighters as my main and decided to try something different.) I am still very much in the prologue at this point, but have completed the first main quest and a couple of small ones after that. I will say I am not all that impressed by the graphics. Characters look good in the conversations, but otherwise I am kind of underwhelmed. They aren't ugly or anything, but I definitely wouldn't call this game beautiful or technically impressive. (again playing on less than optimal settings). I may experiment with turning some quality sliders up and bumping the resolution back down to see if I like things better without giving up performance.

So far, I am extremely impressed with the game. Early on I really, REALLY like the merging of the MMO interface with the BG/PT/IWD interface. NWN and NWN2 sort of did this, but it feels much more like a complete fusion of interfaces here, and I like it a lot. Voice acting and dialog seems well done (though I am very distracted by the mentor of Altair in Assassin's Creed seemingly showing up in every game I buy nowadays to do dialog...) I am still way too early to go into this much more, but the journal (and the codex) are very cool and have already provided a lot of (much needed) background info to the story/world - which is a good thing, because the manual/movie/etc. don't really give you a whole lot of background. Really impressed so far and am delighted it seems more than playable so far.

By the way, should we start a proper impressions thread? I wasn't sure to do this here or in the "looking good" thread...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 04, 2009, 05:44:39 AM »

For people with the Impulse DE edition having issues with the DLC not downloading after redeeming your codes, the fix is here:

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/368287

Next to last post on the first page is what fixed it for me - it tries to install a 'downloader' service on your machine and that either silently fails or just doesn't happen. The file posted there got it installed for me and the next time I went into the game the DLC came down. icon_cool

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 04, 2009, 05:53:24 AM »

following the steps in this post I downloaded, installed, downloaded the DLC and played with no issues.  late adopters FTW!  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 04, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »

Well everyone, looks like I am screwed at this point.  Spent about 7-8 hours downloading the game from Impulse today (two tries) and both times it finished by reporting the error "Downloaded file invalid; MD5s do not match server".  The second time I couldn't even use my computer as I wanted to be cautious.  Anyone know how to get a refund?  This is the last time I will ever do streaming on any files this big.  It is apparent that we are a long ways off in getting this technology to work consistently on PCs.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:20:02 AM by Fez » Logged
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 04, 2009, 06:14:19 AM »

are you sure it's really downloading the full thing? sounds to me like it's not.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 04, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »

Yeah it's downloading the whole thing.  After the verification process it gives me the error.  I am now trying to disable AVG as I let it run overnight.  After reading through tons of posts on Stardock I stumbled across a post by a Stardock CS person saying AVG and Impulse don't run too well together.  I hope this solves it, but what a headache.  Plus, based on the forums I've been looking at, a whole HOST of problems still potentially face me after I get the stupid file downloaded.  Most people are having problems AFTER they download the file! :-/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 06:21:51 AM by Fez » Logged
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 04, 2009, 06:25:09 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 04, 2009, 05:44:39 AM

For people with the Impulse DE edition having issues with the DLC not downloading after redeeming your codes, the fix is here:

Awesome.  That worked for me, too. 

In related news, with the power vested in me by the King of Cartoons, I hereby declare that all future electronic collectors editions must distribute their digital bonus cookies in the main frigging file download. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: November 04, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »

Hrm... Steam worked fine.

/flees

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 04, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

Quote from: Fez on November 04, 2009, 06:19:00 AM

Yeah it's downloading the whole thing.  After the verification process it gives me the error.  I am now trying to disable AVG as I let it run overnight.  After reading through tons of posts on Stardock I stumbled across a post by a Stardock CS person saying AVG and Impulse don't run too well together.  I hope this solves it, but what a headache.  Plus, based on the forums I've been looking at, a whole HOST of problems still potentially face me after I get the stupid file downloaded.  Most people are having problems AFTER they download the file! :-/

If disabling AVG doesn't fix the problem, you might have a faulty harddrive or RAM. Normal Internet traffic is designed in such a way as to guarantee that you receive the correct data in the correct order, so if something goes wrong it's probably happening after the files have arrived on your computer.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 04, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »

imo, don't use AVG. use antiviri, way better.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:27 PM »

No luck on my re-install.  If got to around ~95% and then hung.  Total directory size was around 15.3 GB (so close).  I have deleted it and I'm re-downloading now but it's really not looking good at this point.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 04, 2009, 01:53:42 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 04, 2009, 07:50:14 AM

Hrm... Steam worked fine.

/flees

+1

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 04, 2009, 02:32:06 PM »

Seems like we really need a new topic just for downloading or DLC issues, but I'm gonna continue to pile on here.  icon_wink

Five of my six DE DLC items downloaded fine, even if I had to restart the 'Stone Prisoner' one after it crapped out - at least it picked up from where it left off. However, the last one (Embri's Many Pockets) sits at a Ready status and 0% downloaded with a big red exclamation point ! flashing in the Download tab. Any idea what the heck that means or what I'd need to do to get the dang thing downloaded?  icon_confused

-craig

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:05 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on November 04, 2009, 02:32:06 PM

Seems like we really need a new topic just for downloading or DLC issues, but I'm gonna continue to pile on here.  icon_wink

Five of my six DE DLC items downloaded fine, even if I had to restart the 'Stone Prisoner' one after it crapped out - at least it picked up from where it left off. However, the last one (Embri's Many Pockets) sits at a Ready status and 0% downloaded with a big red exclamation point ! flashing in the Download tab. Any idea what the heck that means or what I'd need to do to get the dang thing downloaded?  icon_confused

Embri's Many Pockets isn't working for me either - it never did on the PC.  Bioware is working on it.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2009, 02:37:49 PM »

Day 2 of the "product key is already in use" error for a lot of impulse (and apparently a growing number of steam and direct2drive customers) users.  Impulse is saying it's up to EA to fix, EA isn't responding or posting any information on the problem, customers bend over and take it from behind.   icon_mad

think i'll blame ea and impulse for oo being down while i'm at it.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2009, 02:39:56 PM »

think i'll blame ea and impulse for oo being down while i'm at it.
Clearly their fault, absolutely.  Bastards.  slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: