http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:50:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age: Where to buy?  (Read 12301 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:43 PM »

20gb that's insane.

That's 1/3 of my monthly bandwith cap.  Anyone know if you can cancel Impulse pre-orders?

"Goonies never say die"
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2009, 01:54:55 PM »

Steam will supposedly start pre-loading the game tomorrow, according to a reply someone got from Steam support.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 29, 2009, 01:31:43 PM

20gb that's insane.

That's 1/3 of my monthly bandwith cap.  Anyone know if you can cancel Impulse pre-orders?

You'll just have to cut back on your pron allotment for the rest of the month, that's all. biggrin

Quote from: Sarkus on October 29, 2009, 06:41:44 AM

Word on the official boards is that Steam will announce it as well soon.  However, Steam is showing a Noon PST/3 PM EST release for the game compared to 10AM PST/ 1PM EST release listing for D2D.

Doesn't surprise me - Steam did the exact same thing with Borderlands a few days back. The price you have to pay to save a few bucks (from tax) by using Steam I guess.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

I'm seriously tempted to pick this up at retail if I can cancel my pre-order.  I get charged 1$ a gb bandwith overage, could make the game more expensive.  Not to mention I'm drowning in new games as it is.

"Goonies never say die"
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 29, 2009, 06:25:43 AM

Direct2Drive is the first to announce they'll be pre-loading the game.

20 gigs? 

Wowza, I was really thinking about going the Steam route, but at 20gigs it will take me 4 days to DL the game. Boxed version for me.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2009, 07:23:48 PM »

Impulse has confirmed there will be no pre-load.  Chatter is that Steam will announce pre-loading tomorrow

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

I'm actually confused about the 20 gig download number.  Is this thing shipping on multiple disks for the 360 and PC then?  I hadn't heard that.  Plus, the system requirements say that you need 20 gig HDD space.  So normally that means that the download would be compressed, right?

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 29, 2009, 07:56:52 PM

I'm actually confused about the 20 gig download number.  Is this thing shipping on multiple disks for the 360 and PC then?  I hadn't heard that.  Plus, the system requirements say that you need 20 gig HDD space.  So normally that means that the download would be compressed, right?

On the DA forums one of the Devs stated it's probably 16 or so gigs. People are rounding up to 20

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 29, 2009, 08:40:11 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on October 29, 2009, 07:56:52 PM

On the DA forums one of the Devs stated it's probably 16 or so gigs. People are rounding up to 20

I think they're just going by the specs released by Bioware.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »

Just about the last chance for the 20% survey discount from Impulse, as it expires on 11/01.  Use it once, use it a million times - just use it and save some serious money!*

* - this message was brought to you by a moronic goofball who is in no way employed, related to, or connected with Stardock apart from posting on their boards ... under yet another pseudonym.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »

There a note on impulse now saying that the download package should be about 8 gigs and unpacks to 15 gigs.  So, I don't know who to trust anymore.

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/367786
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 30, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »

My guess: the game take up 15 - 16 GB, and there's some type of swap file that totals up to 20GB of space being needed on the hard drive.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »

Well, I'm still torn on where to get this.  Looks like its between Impulse and Steam.  I've used Steam before, most recently to get Torchlight, and the negative is that Steam's "Off-line" mode is a bit less intuitive than Impulse, which doesn't require you to stay connected to play the game and doesn't appear to require any special settings to run off-line.  I'm looking for the deluxe or CE edition and I wanted to pre-order to get some goodies.  So I think I'm really leaning towards Impulse, or just buying the CE edition in stores when it comes out, although I'll miss out on the pre-order goodies.  Anyone have a good or bad experience with Impulse?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2009, 07:48:46 PM »

Quote from: lex on October 30, 2009, 05:17:33 PM

There a note on impulse now saying that the download package should be about 8 gigs and unpacks to 15 gigs.  So, I don't know who to trust anymore.

http://forums.impulsedriven.com/367786

That sounds more realistic and was the point I was (badly, I guess) trying to get across.  If the game takes about 20gb of HD space and comes on 2 DVDs (which appears to be the case) then I would expect the download to be smaller then 20gb. 

And to respond to Fez' comment, I don't know if I'd expect there to be CE versions available in stores.  They seem to have sold out on a lot of websites, which suggests limited availability.   I guess I could see some showing up at Best Buy, but I'd be surprised if anyone else has extra copies to put on the shelf.

- American Dad
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »

Quote from: Fez on October 30, 2009, 07:44:16 PM

Well, I'm still torn on where to get this.  Looks like its between Impulse and Steam.  I've used Steam before, most recently to get Torchlight, and the negative is that Steam's "Off-line" mode is a bit less intuitive than Impulse, which doesn't require you to stay connected to play the game and doesn't appear to require any special settings to run off-line.  I'm looking for the deluxe or CE edition and I wanted to pre-order to get some goodies.  So I think I'm really leaning towards Impulse, or just buying the CE edition in stores when it comes out, although I'll miss out on the pre-order goodies.  Anyone have a good or bad experience with Impulse?

Impulse gets high marks from me for the reason you mentioned and good comments here, too... generally, though you'll find a issue or two posted earlier in this thread. I use both but went with Impulse for this one, with the "SURVEY-2009" coupon code (good for 20% off until tomorrow) it was only $51.99 if I recall correctly.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 30, 2009, 08:18:24 PM

Impulse gets high marks from me for the reason you mentioned and good comments here, too... generally, though you'll find a issue or two posted earlier in this thread. I use both but went with Impulse for this one, with the "SURVEY-2009" coupon code (good for 20% off until tomorrow) it was only $51.99 if I recall correctly.

i still haven't gotten a definitive answer if that coupon will actually work since Impulse doesn't charge your credit card (or paypal) until the game is released.  Since the coupon is only good until the 1st and the game won't be charged to your card until the 3rd, some folks are saying that Impulse won't be honoring the discount come release day.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2009, 10:21:09 PM »

That's just crazy talk.

ps. Just sent an email off to Stardock to verify this, one way or the other.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 10:26:50 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2009, 10:44:11 PM »

As an aside, I'm a big fan of Impulse, though.  The download speeds they consistently give me just blows Steam out of the water.  Plus, I like the fact that they don't mess with the install paths/directory structure of the games like Steam does.  I still have a ton of games from Steam but my preference is Impulse when I have a choice.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

Thanks.  Looks like I may purchase from Impulse later.  I bought Torchlight through Steam, and it took some figuring out on how to get that first mod in the right directory, and I don't like the offline issues as I travel a bit.  Any negatives to Impulse?
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2009, 11:11:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 30, 2009, 09:10:00 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 30, 2009, 08:18:24 PM

i still haven't gotten a definitive answer if that coupon will actually work since Impulse doesn't charge your credit card (or paypal) until the game is released.  Since the coupon is only good until the 1st and the game won't be charged to your card until the 3rd, some folks are saying that Impulse won't be honoring the discount come release day.
You may not take this as gospel because I'm not Brad, but I can pretty definitively say it will work.  The payment agreements state clearly the precise amount that will be deducted, and note that it occurs when the game is released on Impulse.  besides, comments about using this for Dragon Age preorders have been everywhere, including on Stardock/Impulse forums and not one person has said it wouldn't work - staff included.

Quote from: Fez
Any negatives to Impulse?
Only that they don't have Torchlight at this time. 
Soulchilde

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 31, 2009, 12:17:53 AM »

Preloadfor steam on 11/1

NiM$
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 31, 2009, 02:39:14 AM »

Too late now.  I went with Impulse due to the coupon.  On top of that, I picked up the Witcher for the same sale price as on Steam.  Hopefully Impulse will allow a preload too.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 31, 2009, 10:19:29 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 31, 2009, 12:17:53 AM

Preloadfor steam on 11/1

Yay! We Europeans don't get the game until next Friday, and because of no pre-load I was afraid I wouldn't be able to play it until Saturday.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 31, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »

I am a huge fan of Impulse.  If a title is on Impulse I will buy it from there over any other service if at all possible.  I have never encountered a single issue with Impulse, download speeds are way better for me then from Steam.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 31, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 30, 2009, 07:48:46 PM

And to respond to Fez' comment, I don't know if I'd expect there to be CE versions available in stores.  They seem to have sold out on a lot of websites, which suggests limited availability.   I guess I could see some showing up at Best Buy, but I'd be surprised if anyone else has extra copies to put on the shelf.

If the Collector's Edition of Mass Effect is any indication, the only people picking up the CE of Dragon Age in stores will be people who preordered very early or Best Buy employees who had them set aside in the stock room.  This isn't like Saints Row 2 or The Sims 3 where you can find premium-sized boxes choking store shelves a year after release.  If you want the CE, reserving one now from someplace like Newegg is your best shot to avoid inflated E*Bay prices.

-Autistic Angel
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2009, 03:01:36 PM »

okay, my two fears are now addressed:

1) Someone on the boards at impulse posted the reply they got back from their customer service regarding the use of the 20 percent off coupon on the pre-order:

"Since your preorder is already accepted into our system, the coupon code has already been used and we will not have a problem accepting it when Dragon Age is released."

2) the download is actually only 8 gigs (expands out to 15 or so gigs).  with the speeds impulse gives me for downloads, i may actually have the game up and running before quite a few steam buyers.   icon_wink

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »

Since I now know that Walmart has already received their copies, I'm going to buy a regular version either late Monday night (at a 24 hour store right after midnight) or early Tuesday morning at the closer store (which is not 24 hours).  Either way I will be playing before any of you digital buyers.   icon_twisted

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2009, 06:27:26 PM »

I may nit even have a chance to play on Tuesday.  A coworker may have an extra ticket to see bob Dylan Tuesday night.

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2009, 06:27:26 PM

I may nit even have a chance to play on Tuesday.  A coworker may have an extra ticket to see bob Dylan Tuesday night.

forget bob dylan...regardless of how much fun the gameplay of Dragon Age turns out to be, i can pretty much guarantee it will sound better...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 31, 2009, 07:19:55 PM

I may nit even have a chance to play on Tuesday.  A coworker may have an extra ticket to see bob Dylan Tuesday night.

forget bob dylan...regardless of how much fun the gameplay of Dragon Age turns out to be, i can pretty much guarantee it will sound better...

still mad no one appreciates your love of Brooke Hogan songs, eh?

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2009, 12:18:48 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on October 31, 2009, 01:04:34 PM

I am a huge fan of Impulse.  If a title is on Impulse I will buy it from there over any other service if at all possible.  I have never encountered a single issue with Impulse, download speeds are way better for me then from Steam.

I second that Arkon smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2009, 01:50:55 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 31, 2009, 07:19:55 PM

icon_lol good point.

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2009, 07:26:01 AM »

I'm the opposite. Steam is my platform of choice. Impulse really is no better than any of the other download services whereas steam has additional candy on top.

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »

I hope the pre-load does start later today so I can pre-load the game before I board the plane and fly overseas on Monday night.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Tals on November 01, 2009, 07:26:01 AM

I'm the opposite. Steam is my platform of choice. Impulse really is no better than any of the other download services whereas steam has additional candy on top.

except when it comes to download speeds.  I always get downloads 2 to 3 times faster on impusle.  plus, as mentioned earlier, i'm not a big fan of steam's directory structure for downloaded games.   impulse closely resembles the game's original install structures after downloading and installing.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »

Amazon has my CE order in 'Shipping Soon' status!

Probably won't get it till Tuesday, but it is better than their original estimate of Thursday!

Can't wait!
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 01, 2009, 03:07:55 PM

except when it comes to download speeds.  I always get downloads 2 to 3 times faster on impusle.  plus, as mentioned earlier, i'm not a big fan of steam's directory structure for downloaded games.   impulse closely resembles the game's original install structures after downloading and installing.

Steam is zipping along nicely. Should be done very soon.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2009, 03:49:09 PM »

I wonder what time Impulse will release the game.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2009, 04:08:23 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 01, 2009, 03:07:55 PM

except when it comes to download speeds.  I always get downloads 2 to 3 times faster on impusle.  plus, as mentioned earlier, i'm not a big fan of steam's directory structure for downloaded games.   impulse closely resembles the game's original install structures after downloading and installing.

I was getting ~1.9MB/s (byte, not bit) on my preload this morning.

That's what, just over an hour for 8GB package? I'm thinking it would take that long to get it from the store. smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »

I rarely see anything over 500kb on my steam downloads (usually more like 300 to 400), while my impulse downloads usually range from 1.5mb to 2.0mb. and it's been that way for two different ISP's.  for me, impulse is much, much faster.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: