http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 02:06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age: Where to buy?  (Read 12431 times)
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »

Ok, as GameStop isn't selling pre-orders for the CE edition of Dragon Age, it looks like I'm stuck pre-ordering it from Amazon or EBWorld, IF I want to get any preorder bonus items beyond the standard stuff.  Best Buy, GoGamer, both don't have any extra items associated with it.  So, my question is this, has anyone pre-ordered from Amazon or EBWorld before, and if so, how long after release did you get the game?  I'm looking forward to playing this day 1, so I may just preorder at Best Buy or something so I can pick it up the day it is released (although I will lose out on the extra bonus item).
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »

Did you want the actual in-hand stuff?  It's weird but Impulse, the digital distribution service, is actually selling the CE version.  Not sure how it works, but they are.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 09, 2009, 11:18:49 PM

Did you want the actual in-hand stuff?  It's weird but Impulse, the digital distribution service, is actually selling the CE version.  Not sure how it works, but they are.

Here's what the Impulse CE version includes:

Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe Edition contains:

Dragon Age: Origins

Formari Memory Band (Pre-Orders ONLY)*
Made by the Formari, these lyrium-infused rings are supposed to help apprentices retain their lessons. They work rather well -- too well, perhaps, as less capable students sometimes wear three or four per finger.
Adds +1% to XP
Adds one skill point

Warden’s Keep (While supplies last) *
Discover what happened to the Grey Wardens order at their darkest hour and unlock secrets hidden for generations. This new content will lead you on a harrowing adventure with all new achievements, unlockable character abilities, powerful items, and much more!

3 pieces of downloadable game content*
Bergen’s Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack)
Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes: A special book that adds +3 to all attributes when read
Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage)

Additional downloadable in-game content*
"The Stone Prisoner" downloadable bonus quest and downloadable character, Shale

Downloadable "Blood Dragon Armor" for Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins*
An exclusive customized armor set for both Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age: Origins

Bonus Content
Digital Soundtrack
Wallpapers

* – Download codes and instructions will be emailed separately for these items.

if you're going digital and plan on pre-ordering soon, Impulse is the best way.  use the coupon code SURVEY-2009 which gives you 20% off, making it about 52 bucks altogether.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:56:13 PM »

Yeah, but like half of everything else on impulse, its US only... way to go!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 11, 2009, 05:56:13 PM

Yeah, but like half of everything else on impulse, its US only... way to go!

I forget, can you access Gamesplanet in your neck of the region?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 06:08:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 06:20:19 PM »

Assuming you want a physical copy, you can get the following in-game items with your preorder of the CE:

EA Store ($64.95 for PC): Formari Memory Ring (+1% XP, +1 skill point) and Band of Fire (+stamina, + fire resist, + spirit resist)
Amazon ($59.99 for PC): Lion's Paw Boots, + to armor, dodge, evading missles (not sure why that's different than 'dodge')

You also get a nifty cloth map and a metal case with a physical copy, and the need to keep the disc in the drive (although EA is going to eschew SecuROM for this one).  Myself, I'm a little torn - I haven't picked up Elemental yet, so I was planning on using my coupon on that.  Then again, Dragon Age is coming out earlier and I'm a lazy bum when it comes to discs being in the drive despite the fact it takes me all of two seconds to spin my chair and grab one of my meticulously kept boxes ... I'll probably go physical, but it's tempting.  It would be nice to "reward" their good behavior of just having a simple disc check.

As an aside - I wonder how many rings can a player wear at a time, and how long will it take to find better boots than those from Amazon.  Those extra bonuses aren't likely to make a huge difference.  I mean seriously - 1% experience?  That means if you get 100 XP for beating an enemy, then someone with the ring would get 101.  That doesn't add up ver quickly, and if you can just change locations to get someplace that has a spawn for a new enemy, then why bother?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 06:45:57 PM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on October 11, 2009, 06:20:19 PM

Myself, I'm a little torn - I haven't picked up Elemental yet, so I was planning on using my coupon on that.  

I just tried putting another item into my cart on Impulse (haven't pulled the trigger yet on my pre-order) and it applied the 20% off to that item too.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »

I can understand region restricting digital downloads as long as there's a reasonable alternative. In this case however, all the downloads are restricted to the US or are so overprised that I can't see how anyone would ever want to buy it, particularly since it's only available through the EA Store over here. I could go to the store and get it way cheaper than as a digital download, yet both the publisher and developer will receive less money that way. Stupidity in action!
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »

Just curious, TiLT, but what price is it going for via digital download over there? (and where is 'there' anyway?) The Collector's Edition is going to be a pretty consistent $60-$65 over here in retail locations, and download sites are also in line with that.  As for regional restrictions, my guess is there has to be some sort of financial reason behind it.  I know distributors like Stardock and Valve would be more than happy to sell more copies, so it's not a choice on their end.

Of note, I also found a preorder through Best Buy ($64.99 for PC):
"three pieces of exclusive in-game content, including the Lucky Stone, which adds +1 to all stats, the Lion's Paw, which adds to armor, dodge and evade, and the Edge, a dagger that adds a lot to damage, melee crit and attack."

This struck me as odd, as all the other CE's have the following:
"THREE PIECES OF EXCLUSIVE IN-GAME CONTENT:
Bergen's Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack)
Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes: A special book that adds +3 to all attributes when read
Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage)"
... plus a vendor-specific bonus item or two.  Best Buy's listing looks as if it's replacing the standard three that come with the normal CE.
That one gets a serious wtf from me.  I'll have to do a bit more digging and see what's up.

Quote from: CeeKay on October 11, 2009, 06:45:57 PM

Myself, I'm a little torn - I haven't picked up Elemental yet, so I was planning on using my coupon on that. 

I just tried putting another item into my cart on Impulse (haven't pulled the trigger yet on my pre-order) and it applied the 20% off to that item too.
NICE!!!!  Hmm - and Impulse does get you the Warden's Keep DLC for free ... even more tempting!
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

I'm  a CE whore but the one for Dragon Age looks like junk.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 02:44:00 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 12, 2009, 01:45:06 AM

I'm  a CE whore but the one for Dragon Age looks like junk.

yeah yea, we know you don't like anything.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:34:02 AM »

Quote from: Dan_Theman on October 11, 2009, 11:59:48 PM

Just curious, TiLT, but what price is it going for via digital download over there? (and where is 'there' anyway?) The Collector's Edition is going to be a pretty consistent $60-$65 over here in retail locations, and download sites are also in line with that.  As for regional restrictions, my guess is there has to be some sort of financial reason behind it.  I know distributors like Stardock and Valve would be more than happy to sell more copies, so it's not a choice on their end.

"three pieces of exclusive in-game content, including the Lucky Stone, which adds +1 to all stats, the Lion's Paw, which adds to armor, dodge and evade, and the Edge, a dagger that adds a lot to damage, melee crit and attack."

Bergen's Honor: A massive helmet made out of dragonbone (+2 to armor, +25 physical resistance, +6 to attack)
Final Reason: A magical staff of immense power (adds to damage, spell power, and fire damage)"
... plus a vendor-specific bonus item or two.  Best Buy's listing looks as if it's replacing the standard three that come with the normal CE.
That one gets a serious wtf from me.  I'll have to do a bit more digging and see what's up.

NICE!!!!  Hmm - and Impulse does get you the Warden's Keep DLC for free ... even more tempting!
This is exactly why I am so confused.  I'm trying to figure out where I can get the game pre-ordered, get some bonus items for the pre-order, and get the game on time.  I like getting the map and such, but my concern is preordering from EBWorld or Amazon will result in me getting the game some week or two after release?  Impulse sounds like a good possibility.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 03:44:17 AM »

The whole variable pre-order item thing for DA is a mess.  I hope they will eventually patch all of the items into the game.  I may just wait for that--I have plenty of other great games to play.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 04:29:12 AM »

I know it's not the fault of Stardock or Valve. EA just likes to promote their own store, which sells their products at ghastly prices and through their crappy download client. The current price for the "Digital Deluxe" edition at the EA Store is 479 NOK (I live in Norway), which is about $85 according to current exchange rates. There's just no way they can justify that price for a digital edition when competing products (Risen for example) sell for half that price or less.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 04:34:32 AM »

Quote from: Fez on October 12, 2009, 03:34:02 AM

This is exactly why I am so confused.  I'm trying to figure out where I can get the game pre-ordered, get some bonus items for the pre-order, and get the game on time.  I like getting the map and such, but my concern is preordering from EBWorld or Amazon will result in me getting the game some week or two after release?  Impulse sounds like a good possibility.

A week or two? What makes you think that? Both have been known to have 'release day' shipping for titles (not this one, it seems, but still) and even without it you'd have it a day or two later, not a week or two. Unless we're talking about something like GoGamer's "dirt cheap" shipping which can take... awhile.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 12, 2009, 04:34:32 AM

A week or two? What makes you think that? Both have been known to have 'release day' shipping for titles (not this one, it seems, but still) and even without it you'd have it a day or two later, not a week or two. Unless we're talking about something like GoGamer's "dirt cheap" shipping which can take... awhile.

EB/Gamestop aren't even offering the CE anymore so you're best bet would be Amazon if you want the physical discs.

Because I can,
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 04:56:53 AM »

This thread is precisely why I'm just going to walk into Best Buy when the game releases and just buy a copy off the shelf. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 12, 2009, 04:34:32 AM

I've had it happen unfortunately before, and I've read of others having the same thing happen.  Where Amazon doesn't deliver the pre-ordered game for a week after release.  I'd like to avoid that, but it's looking like my options are down to Impulse or Amazon.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:48 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 12, 2009, 04:29:12 AM

I know it's not the fault of Stardock or Valve. EA just likes to promote their own store, which sells their products at ghastly prices and through their crappy download client. The current price for the "Digital Deluxe" edition at the EA Store is 479 NOK (I live in Norway), which is about $85 according to current exchange rates. There's just no way they can justify that price for a digital edition when competing products (Risen for example) sell for half that price or less.

its the same shit here in Denmark - I've decided to preorder the retail version (turn in two games, get Dragon age for 1 Kroner) which gives EA and bioware zero money...but hey, they had their chance...

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »

The way things are looking, I might just end up buying from EA Store because it's the edition that offers the most "bonus content" and I might as well see how their store works (or doesn't). I need to think some more about it.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »

From Bioware's Dragon Age forum:

Posted 10/09/09 02:30 (GMT) by Chris Priestly

Actually, just this afternoon, we finished up the deal, so I can now confirm that Dragon Age: origins WILL indeed come to Steam.

---

Now the next question is if the deal is worldwide or US/Canada only like Impulse and Direct2Drive.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 02:20:10 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 12, 2009, 08:34:27 AM

The way things are looking, I might just end up buying from EA Store because it's the edition that offers the most "bonus content" and I might as well see how their store works (or doesn't). I need to think some more about it.

Doesn't EA's 'store' only allow you to download something so many times, or you can't download it again after so many months, or something extremely goofy (in short, forcing you to burn it to a DVD and hope it doesn't go bad) that makes it far worse than Steam and every other online place?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »

Yeah, I think so. Which makes their treatment of non-US and non-UK customers even more appalling. We're some of the world's most active gamers here in Scandinavia (thanks to the weather and the expensive beer), which makes it extra insulting when we're treated like we don't even exist.
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 02:06:18 AM »

Looks like Amazon ran out of CE pre-order editions.  My options are dwindling.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:37 AM »

Quote from: Fez on October 13, 2009, 02:06:18 AM

Looks like Amazon ran out of CE pre-order editions.  My options are dwindling.

Impulse it is.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 05:41:55 AM »

on another note, I pre-ordered Dragon Age CE along with buying the new Red Faction game, then just out of curiosity tried buying something else using the same code and it gave me the discount again, so looks like it's a unlimited use code.

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 07:55:10 AM »

Tilt, this version contains all bonus content so I can't really see what you mean.
http://downloads.webhallen.com/product/?id=15072

I bought Sims3 via Ztorm and it worked perfectly, unlike Steam you can uninstall everything else but the game and it still works.

I am only interested in the 360 version so for me it doesn't matter.

Why anyone would buy anything from D2D is beyond me, they are the worst of the bunch.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 13, 2009, 07:55:10 AM

Tilt, this version contains all bonus content so I can't really see what you mean.
http://downloads.webhallen.com/product/?id=15072

I bought Sims3 via Ztorm and it worked perfectly, unlike Steam you can uninstall everything else but the game and it still works.

I'm unfamiliar with this site. What is it all about? Is it limited to Swedish residents? I can read Swedish, but it just takes a little longer than Norwegian or English. Tongue

Is this a download version of the game? What are its limitations? Why is the release date almost two weeks earlier than the official one? It all sounds a little sketchy. It's also MORE expensive than the EA Store version.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »

Everything in their FAQ should be perfectly readable for you, if I can understand my Norwegian boss then you should be able to read that slywink.

Webhallen has been around for at least 10 years and are very reliable. Digital Downloads have been around for a few years. It was developed by the same company that did GamersGate but they are different stores.

Webhallen has both physical copies and DD but they only deliver physical to Swedish residents. I didn't bother checking the price but I guess there are benefits from not using EA store. Obviously since they have a physical store just 40 meters from my office I wouldn't bother with any DD option, especially since I am getting the 360 version.

I don't see why there shouldn't be similar offers from Norwegian game shops. Otherwise there are the other usual suspects like amazon.co.uk, game.com, cdon, discshop etc.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:54:15 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2009, 11:24:50 AM »

I think you misunderstand. The issue isn't finding Dragon Age. The issue is finding a Dragon Age digital download. I can easily walk or bike to any of my local game stores and they will have the game on release day, but I prefer the digital version. I find it very annoying when download services such as Steam, Impulse and D2D are forced to restrict my access because I live in Norway.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

This is because they have local alterantives, EA was always very strict with those policies.

However, Webhallens download works fine in Norway but so does EA Store. You also have CDON and others.

http://downloads.cdon.com/?country=no

More specifically

http://downloads.cdon.com/index.phtml?country=no&page=product&dl_gameid=20804

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »

I wasn't aware of all these alternatives. Still pisses me off that they force me to use local alternatives when Steam or Impulse would work much better for me as a customer. Hopefully there's still a chance that the game will be possible to purchase from Steam, but we'll see. Thanks for the help though.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 01:03:59 PM »

Looks like I'll be getting the Steam version.  I had the Amazon CE pre-ordered but even with same day shipping my ETA was 11/6.  So, I'm canceled. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

I'll probably get my copy at the company store, since I get a hefty discount there. slywink  The drawback is that it will take an extra couple of days to get to me.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2009, 11:17:37 PM »

ĘSigh...now I got a mail from Stardock telling me all about how wonderfull their preorder is for Dragonage... Yet, I cant buy it...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 13, 2009, 11:17:37 PM

ĘSigh...now I got a mail from Stardock telling me all about how wonderfull their preorder is for Dragonage... Yet, I cant buy it...

it is wonderful.  I lost 10 pounds, won the lottery and married Kate Beckinsale ever since I placed mine.

Because I can,
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »

I want to pre-order but it comes out the day after I leave the States. Wonder if I will still be able to download it from overseas.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

I'm gonna bite on the Impulse -%20 deal.  Too good to pass up, especially with the Canadian dollar as UBER as it is right now.

I really don't like how they won't let you use paypal with that coupon though.

"Goonies never say die"
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2009, 04:59:15 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on October 13, 2009, 11:33:16 PM

I want to pre-order but it comes out the day after I leave the States. Wonder if I will still be able to download it from overseas.

If that becomes a problem, let me know.  We can make arrangements if needed.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 06:07:55 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 14, 2009, 04:59:15 PM

Quote from: Tokek on October 13, 2009, 11:33:16 PM

If that becomes a problem, let me know.  We can make arrangements if needed.

hmmm...can we make "arrangments" as well, KD? ;-)

A new one
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: