http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:31:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 77209 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: May 28, 2010, 11:49:40 PM »

Warden's Fall part deux.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 07, 2010, 02:25:28 PM »

Dragon Age... THE ANIME!!!

Because I can,
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 07, 2010, 02:25:28 PM

Dragon Age... THE ANIME!!!

I wonder if Morrigan's boobs will be like the ones from Capcom's Darkstalkers Morrigan?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: June 16, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »

Leliana's Song DLC.

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 16, 2010, 08:49:47 PM »

Have they patched Awakenings yet?

It was filled with quest bugs at launch.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:14 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on June 16, 2010, 08:49:47 PM

They are still working on that. 

Just as an aside, I had no problems with Awakening.  So the bugs are not universal, just widespread and probably situation and hardware specific.  Not that that excuses them.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:21 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 16, 2010, 08:52:14 PM

Quote from: KePoW on June 16, 2010, 08:49:47 PM

They are still working on that. 

Just as an aside, I had no problems with Awakening.  So the bugs are not universal, just widespread and probably situation and hardware specific.  Not that that excuses them.

I don't mean technical hardware bugs, I've had no problems with Dragon Age in that sense.  But a lot of the quest issues are flat-out bugs... some people might not have experienced any problems because a lot have to do with optional side quests and certain characters, and depends on the order in which you do things.  But they are definitely reproduceable.

For people who go straight through the main storyline, there weren't really any issues.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »

I was so in love with Dragon Age when I finished and, as a stand-alone product, it's still a *fantastic* RPG.  I have to remind myself of that because Bioware's mishandling the franchise since then is starting to leave a bitter taste.

Excluding "The Stone Prisoner" which I felt was very well integrated into the base game, the other DA DLC has felt like a series of short, chintzy fan mods crudely stapled onto the furthest reaches of the narrative.  Giant Bomb had a Quick Look of "Return to Ostagar," only to realize the quest was so brief, they showed almost the whole thing.  At least it provided some cool armor, while "Warden's Keep" unlocked some new talents and one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

Then Bioware released the "Awakening" expansion pack and announced that you couldn't use any of that cool gear anymore.  People were importing their characters to find they were unarmed and naked.  The bonus talents from "Warden's Keep" don't work and are labeled as "Class Name Not Found."  Several of the expansion quests are badly bugged, and as far as I know, the only option is for players to hunt around for fan-made mods to fix the problems.  The 1.03 patch released alongside "Awakening" even broke elements of the base game, introducing new stability crashes and rendering the Steal skill completely unusable.

I've seen some companies wash their hands of lousy products and I've seen others work hard for years to rehabilitate botched releases into quality games, but Bioware seems hellbent on doing the opposite: taking their popular new franchise and retroactively tearing it apart.  It's really killing my interest in the whole affair....

-Autistic Angel
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: June 17, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »

Yeah it's unfortunate, because the base campaign and the game itself are incredible.  One of my favorite RPGs, certainly as of recent times.

But they really screwed up Awakenings badly.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: June 17, 2010, 07:18:38 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 17, 2010, 03:25:34 PM

I was so in love with Dragon Age when I finished and, as a stand-alone product, it's still a *fantastic* RPG.  I have to remind myself of that because Bioware's mishandling the franchise since then is starting to leave a bitter taste.

Excluding "The Stone Prisoner" which I felt was very well integrated into the base game, the other DA DLC has felt like a series of short, chintzy fan mods crudely stapled onto the furthest reaches of the narrative.  Giant Bomb had a Quick Look of "Return to Ostagar," only to realize the quest was so brief, they showed almost the whole thing.  At least it provided some cool armor, while "Warden's Keep" unlocked some new talents and one of the most powerful weapons in the game.

Then Bioware released the "Awakening" expansion pack and announced that you couldn't use any of that cool gear anymore.  People were importing their characters to find they were unarmed and naked.  The bonus talents from "Warden's Keep" don't work and are labeled as "Class Name Not Found."  Several of the expansion quests are badly bugged, and as far as I know, the only option is for players to hunt around for fan-made mods to fix the problems.  The 1.03 patch released alongside "Awakening" even broke elements of the base game, introducing new stability crashes and rendering the Steal skill completely unusable.

I've seen some companies wash their hands of lousy products and I've seen others work hard for years to rehabilitate botched releases into quality games, but Bioware seems hellbent on doing the opposite: taking their popular new franchise and retroactively tearing it apart.  It's really killing my interest in the whole affair....

-Autistic Angel

In fairness to Bioware, the importation stuff in Awakening was made clear well prior to launch.  I agree that it was stupid, but they did make some effort to make sure people weren't caught off guard by the decision.

But in general I can't disagree with your general statement.  As I noted above, I didn't have any problems with Awakening bugs/crashes/broken quests, but I certainly have seen enough reports to not question that they are real.  For me the bigger issue is the stuttered way they've handled releases of DLC and the strange choices they've made with those.  You can't even blame Bioware in general for it, as most people seem pretty happy with Mass Effect 2 DLC.  So it seems specific to whomever is managing and creating Dragon Age content.  

That said, the DLC just announced seems like the kind of thing they should have been doing all along.  For $7 I don't expect 10 hours of gameplay, but if it provides a couple hours of enjoyment and actually has some meaningful story related stuff in it, I'm going to happily purchase it.  

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 17, 2010, 07:18:38 PM

You can't even blame Bioware in general for it, as most people seem pretty happy with Mass Effect 2 DLC.  So it seems specific to whomever is managing and creating Dragon Age content. 

I have no idea about the technical details, but I recall Bioware was pretty adamant that the reason that ME1 DLC was sparse and lackluster was because they hadn't done enough planning while making the base game which made it very hard to integrate DLC later.  Evidently it was a big priority to fix this with ME2.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age was suffering from similar technical issues ME1 did- the bulk of the design and coding was done without factoring in the addition of DLC later. 
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: June 17, 2010, 07:45:29 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 17, 2010, 07:29:28 PM

Quote from: Sarkus on June 17, 2010, 07:18:38 PM

You can't even blame Bioware in general for it, as most people seem pretty happy with Mass Effect 2 DLC.  So it seems specific to whomever is managing and creating Dragon Age content. 

I have no idea about the technical details, but I recall Bioware was pretty adamant that the reason that ME1 DLC was sparse and lackluster was because they hadn't done enough planning while making the base game which made it very hard to integrate DLC later.  Evidently it was a big priority to fix this with ME2.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dragon Age was suffering from similar technical issues ME1 did- the bulk of the design and coding was done without factoring in the addition of DLC later. 

That may be true, though you'd have thought they had plenty of time to work on that given that Mass Effect 2 came out so soon after Dragon Age.  That was certainly the excuse they gave for not being able to carry over DLC or bonus stuff to Awakening.  Ironically, some people have suggested that the bugs in at least one part of Awakening (where you lose your gear) may be because they game doesn't do a good enough job of removing bonus/DLC stuff and that having some of that stuff in the player inventory causes problems at that point.

I just think they've done a poor job of deciding what to do with DLC.  Warden's Keep isn't too bad but seems to have no point once you've beaten it as it doesn't even serve as a place to have your crew hang out. Ostagar was delivered very late and just reuses areas created for the main game.  The Feast Day stuff was as stupid as Bethesda's infamous Horse Armor.  And the Darkspawn Chronicles was just a really really bad idea that was poorly implemented on top of that.  Bioware can make excuses about needing to learn, but other companies have figured out how to do DLC (like Bethesda) and Bioware should have learned something from that in terms of what people think is value for a RPG DLC.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: June 28, 2010, 04:13:41 PM »

trailer for Leliana's Song

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 02, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »

episode 5 of Warden's Fall.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 02, 2010, 04:46:37 PM »

This is part of Steam's massive summer sale, wish I'd waited.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: July 03, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »

Update on the 1.04 patch:

With the Edmonton team on holiday, celebrating Canada Day and the US team being out of the office on Monday to celebrate independence Day, this week's update is relatively short and doesn't contain new patch items. But we'll make sure to get you a full information update next week.

I know that some of you were hoping to have the patch ahead of the upcoming Leliana's Song DLC. Unfortunately, although we still do not have a release date, I can tell you that it will not be released before Leliana's Song. Hopefully, when everyone is back in the office next week, I can at least update you on where the patch is in the QA and certification process. I amalso  hoping to have the full copy of the patch notes in one of the next updates, along with remaining known issues and workarounds.

Previously reported:
• Fixed pick-pocketing. Characters were successfully stealing, but not receiving any items.
• It is no longer possible for the player to get blocked during gameplay by pursuing both candidates' quests in the Orzammar plot line.
• Instant +100 approval bugs for Awakening companions have been resolved.
• Anders, Sigrun and Velanna's personal quests will properly activate.
• Fixed an issue that would prevent an imported character from detecting traps.
• Red script will no longer appear in the place of tattoos.
• Power of Blood talent will be usable in Awakening.
• Game saves on Xbox 360 were being corrupted if you sold too many items to the same merchant. Saves will no longer be corrupted if you do this.
• Daggers will now properly assign the dexterity-based damage bonus
• Updated audio drivers to fix a number of audio related crashes.
• Switching between Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age: Awakening were resetting options to default settings.
• Multiple transitions in and out of Fade areas were multiplying the number of visual effects running, slowing down gameplay.
• Resolved a number of memory leaks that were causing crashes and increases load times.
• (Awakening only) Players may now receive notes of appreciation from former love interests.
• (Awakening Only) During the Assault on Amaranthine, a bug would
occasionally make some enemies invincible, which impeded game progress.
This no longer happens.
• (Awakening Only) Masterpiece and paragon
silverite runes are now weapon runes instead of armor runes.
•
(Awakening Only) The masterpiece slow rune is now available for purchase
from merchant stores.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Dragon-Age-Origins/Dragon-Age-Origins-News-and-Announcements/Brief-Update-on-the-Upcoming-Dragon-Age-Patch-July-2-2010-3012921-1.html
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 03, 2010, 04:23:36 PM »

Jeez this patch has taken forever to come out.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 03, 2010, 06:31:12 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on July 03, 2010, 04:23:36 PM

Jeez this patch has taken forever to come out.

I had totally forgotten about it  icon_lol

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 04, 2010, 03:15:49 AM »

Question for anyone who bought the DA Digital Deluxe Edition through Steam.  This version is supposed to come with a whole bunch of extras (including weapons, armor, a book that adds +3 to stats), as well as the "Stone Prisoner" and "Warden's Keep" DLC packs.   When I right click on the game in my Steam library and select "View Downloadable Content", it tells me that all the extras download automatically and are accessible during the gameplay.  However, when I launch the game and go to the DLC section, it says I have no DLC installed and that I need to purchase them using "Bioware Points".

Anyone know how to check and see if these extras actually got installed?

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 04, 2010, 03:18:39 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on July 04, 2010, 03:15:49 AM

However, when I launch the game and go to the DLC section, it says I have no DLC installed and that I need to purchase them using "Bioware Points".

Anyone know how to check and see if these extras actually got installed?

that's where they'd be if they were installed correctly.  you created a Bioware account and all that, and the game is logging you into it, right?

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 04, 2010, 03:19:58 AM »

and did you do these steps?

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 04, 2010, 03:25:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 04, 2010, 03:19:58 AM

and did you do these steps?

That got it working, thanks CK.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 06, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »

the newest DLC is supposed to be available today.  I figure I'll check it out after I'm through with Crackdown 2.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 08, 2010, 06:11:14 AM »

Bioware posted the following message on their Twitter - "2morrow will be a great day for BioWare fans. Just sayin'".  DA2 announcement perhaps?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 08, 2010, 07:25:27 AM »

Finally! I couldnt care less about their horrible DLC's, but a second game I'll be rather optimistic about

A new one
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 19, 2010, 11:48:10 PM »

1.04 is out.

http://social.bioware.com/page/da-patches
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 28, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »

even more DLC!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 10, 2010, 04:25:06 AM »

for all of those waiting for the definitive-ish edition looks like it's coming.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: August 25, 2010, 11:59:11 PM »

the final set of DLC.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: September 08, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2010, 11:59:11 PM

in case people haven't been paying attention to the DA2 thread this is out today.  someone said it wasn't getting good reviews though.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: September 09, 2010, 12:42:43 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2010, 06:21:10 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2010, 11:59:11 PM

in case people haven't been paying attention to the DA2 thread this is out today.  someone said it wasn't getting good reviews though.

Apparently it has a widespread bug where it doesn't reflect one of the key choices made by an imported character.  Outside of that, though, is that some people were unrealistically expecting some sort of closure to the relationship with Morrigan.

- American Dad
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: September 09, 2010, 05:14:52 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on September 09, 2010, 12:42:43 AM

Apparently it has a widespread bug where it doesn't reflect one of the key choices made by an imported character.  Outside of that, though, is that some people were unrealistically expecting some sort of closure to the relationship with Morrigan.

Why is that expectation unrealistic? I mean they advertise it as, "Experience the final chapter as the Grey Warden pursues Morrigan and the secrets she carries."

Considering this is the last time you play that character, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect things to be wrapped up at least pretty well in the final chapter.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: September 09, 2010, 05:19:51 AM »

Quote from: cheeba on September 09, 2010, 05:14:52 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on September 09, 2010, 12:42:43 AM

Why is that expectation unrealistic? I mean they advertise it as, "Experience the final chapter as the Grey Warden pursues Morrigan and the secrets she carries."

Considering this is the last time you play that character, I don't think it's unrealistic to expect things to be wrapped up at least pretty well in the final chapter.

It's unrealistic given that the devs have made it very clear that the story of Morrigan doesn't end with this DLC.  What is supposed to end is the story between Morrigan and the Warden, since we aren't going to be playing our character in the future. 

It's also unrealistic because no $7 DLC has any chance of wrapping things up to the level that many obsessed romance/RPG fans would like. 

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: September 09, 2010, 02:44:01 PM »

it seems the gamer might not be saving right once you're done with the DLC.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: October 01, 2010, 12:11:50 AM »

the Ultimate Edition hits October 26th and it will have everything: DLC and Awakening.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: November 14, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »

In my usual "late to the party" style, as I finally installed, updated and started playing original DA:O today after buying it several months ago at Best Buy:

I made a mild videocard upgrade (from ATI/AMD 4670 to 5670) due to some GPU fan issues yesterday, so I wanted some eye candy to test it on. Looks great, no hitches so far aside from one wonky camera angle view during a conversation scene.

The bummer is my code for a free character and DLC quest had expired, though that was before I'd even bought it at all (expired in April, I think I picked this up shortly after).

I gotta say the blood spray becomes almost funny after a while, like Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I leave it on though, keeps me entertained.  icon_cool
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:38:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: November 14, 2010, 04:09:37 PM »

I'm still plugging away at my first play through as well.  Once I finish this up it's on to finish the Witcher finally smile

morlac00 on PSN
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: November 15, 2010, 04:09:08 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 14, 2010, 03:32:25 PM

In my usual "late to the party" style, as I finally installed, updated and started playing original DA:O today after buying it several months ago at Best Buy:

<snipped>

The bummer is my code for a free character and DLC quest had expired, though that was before I'd even bought it at all (expired in April, I think I picked this up shortly after).

Did you actually try the code?  I'm not sure they actually are enforcing the exp. date.  If it has truly expired, I'd try contacting EA/Bioware and see whether customer service will help you out with a working code since you bought the game brand new.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: November 15, 2010, 05:53:51 PM »

I was able to download the free offered content with my game 6 months after the expiration date.....so give it a try.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:38 PM »

Well I just did Landsmeet....made it through on one try.....and I must say...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I felt bad for Lohgain when I finally killed him. I wanted to let him become a Warden but Alistar would have no part of it.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: