http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:01:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 77524 times)
Sarkus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: January 15, 2010, 08:10:26 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2010, 07:57:33 AM

I do like more stuff for my games, but in the old golden days, Devs who loved their games released patches witch were practically mini-expansions instead, or released full-fledged expansions.

I've been gaming for a long time and I don't remember too many incidents of real "mini-expansion" content being delivered.  Sure, they would give away some of the stuff that sold today, like sprite packs or music packs for certain strategy games, or horse armor and the like for some RPGs. That stuff is totally stupid, and doesn't sell all that well from what I can tell anyway.  What is new is short content DLCs like the day one Warden's Keep product for Dragon Age or the oft-delayed Return to Ostagar thing.  At $5 a pop, though, it's not exactly a hardship anymore then it's actually necessary to play the game.  But who ever gave away that kind of stuff in the past?  I can only think of a few examples; it was never standard procedure.  Instead the standard was to release $30 expansions months later.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: January 15, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »

I'll have to look that up since I dont remember specifics. But I do remember clearly when things changed and instead of patches with new stuff we came to know what is now called "DLC"....Bethasda's horse armor actually! Thats the turning point as I see it, where companies suddenly saw that Hey - all the post-production stuff we do, we can get paid for that too!

Btw, take a look at Stardock and their Sins of a solar empire -that game has both expansions AND a lot of new stuff added to the core game. AI Wars is another example - currently at version 3.0 with new interfaces and new stuff that has come through twice now. It still happens, and thats the kind of developer I'll support!

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47:31 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 15, 2010, 08:30:00 AM

I'll have to look that up since I dont remember specifics. But I do remember clearly when things changed and instead of patches with new stuff we came to know what is now called "DLC"....Bethasda's horse armor actually! Thats the turning point as I see it, where companies suddenly saw that Hey - all the post-production stuff we do, we can get paid for that too!

Btw, take a look at Stardock and their Sins of a solar empire -that game has both expansions AND a lot of new stuff added to the core game. AI Wars is another example - currently at version 3.0 with new interfaces and new stuff that has come through twice now. It still happens, and thats the kind of developer I'll support!

Well, for one thing I'm differentiating between strategy games and RPGs.  What has been standard in one has not necessarily been standard in the other.  Yeah, I can think of plenty of strategy games that introduced major stuff via patches, but that's more along the lines of interface changes requested by users or game balancing moves.  Paradox in the past was legendary for the changes they would make.  Compare that to Bioware or Black Isle, where the patches are pretty much just that - fixes to something that doesn't work as opposed to bonus material or content.  About the only "golden age" example of free content on an RPG I can think of was when Black Isle gave away a pretty decent expansion for one of the Icewind Dale games after there was a fair amount of fan backlash against how shallow an official expansion turned out to be.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: January 15, 2010, 02:07:56 PM »

Offhand the only major free content I can recall for an RPG before the days of DLC was for Icewind Dale (Trials of the Luremaster?) and that was only because word of mouth for the Heart of Winter expansion was withering.
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: January 15, 2010, 04:26:40 PM »

The last decent sized RPG freebie I remember was when Blizzard released a couple of free chapters to their RPG style  "Warcraft 3:Founding of Durotar" campaign. 

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: January 17, 2010, 04:45:47 AM »

Finished my second play through as a Mage, clocked in just under 40 hours with 92% of the game world explored.  Did quite a few things different:

Spoiler for Hiden:
- Talked the Lady of the Forest and her werewolves into wiping out the Dalish Elves
- Allowed the demon that possessed Connor to escape, in the Epilogue it said he later grew ill and disappeared
- Defiled the ashes of Andraste for the cult, then promptly wiped them out along with the high dragon
- Told Brother Giovanti of the defilement, who must of told Wynn because she screamed at me when I returned to camp and left the group for good
- Allied with Prince Bhalen, and decided not to destroy the Anvil of the Void
- Spared Loghain, and allowed him to join the Grey Wardens, thus forcing Alistair to leave
- Refused to save Alistair from getting executed, the look on his face as they took him away was priceless
- Refused Morrigan's ritual, and allowed Loghain to make the final sacrifice, redeeming himself in the end
- Asked the Queen to make the Circle of Magi independent and release it from the templars

I think I did almost every side quest this time, except Wynn's for reasons listed above.  I know I did several that I didn't run into the first time.Now it has me at 84% of the game complete, picked up a couple cool achievements for not getting knocked out the entire game.  I think I'm ready to shelve it until the expansion, then I'll start my rogue.

I did go back and do the dwarf common origin, the only one I hadn't tried.  Didn't really think it was that great, but at least it was quick.  Here's my player profile on Bioware's Social site:

http://social.bioware.com/playerprofile.php?sku=dragonage1_pc&nid=2300434368
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:56:55 PM by Glycerine » Logged

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: January 17, 2010, 07:45:08 AM »

bad dlc=whatever the 7 buck one with the chest is. that's bad dlc. bad dlc is fucking horse armor. i'm sorry, but if you're going to charge me 1/10th of the game price i expect 1/10th of the content. 5 bucks better be 2 hours at least. stop throwing together some stupid ass scripted story that took two people four hours to build. that's a money grab and i will not and can not support that what so ever. how can valve continue to update TF2 and make maps and weapons for free while bioware and other companies give us shit like that? it's inexcusable and this trend needs to die. Oh, blizzard is still supporting Diablo 2. DIABLO TWO. this game is over a decade old. fuck off with this dlc shit.

At least we're getting an expansion pack, but i'm leary of that as well. I bet it's 12 hours long and for the price they want, no thanks.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: January 17, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 17, 2010, 07:45:08 AM

bad dlc=whatever the 7 buck one with the chest is. that's bad dlc. bad dlc is fucking horse armor. i'm sorry, but if you're going to charge me 1/10th of the game price i expect 1/10th of the content. 5 bucks better be 2 hours at least. stop throwing together some stupid ass scripted story that took two people four hours to build. that's a money grab and i will not and can not support that what so ever. how can valve continue to update TF2 and make maps and weapons for free while bioware and other companies give us shit like that? it's inexcusable and this trend needs to die. Oh, blizzard is still supporting Diablo 2. DIABLO TWO. this game is over a decade old. fuck off with this dlc shit.

Look at the amount of content you get with the retail game, though.  Bioware could have shipped Dragon Age with half the content and still sold a bazillion copies, but they didn't.  They earned my goodwill (along with Bethesda and their RPGs) by providing a huge amount of content on the disc, and as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they want with the DLC.  I doubt I'll buy any of it, but I already have a complete game without it, and if the higher profit margin of the DLC allows them to make more games with epic scope and tons of content, then more power to them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: January 17, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »

I'm finally digging into this game, and am having troubles.  I'm at about the 4th level of the Mage Tower, and I'm out of healing potions.

Party is:

Me Dwarven FIghter lvl 7
Wynne
Lilianna
Sten

Am I screwed?

"Goonies never say die"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 17, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

My plan is to pick it up today. Can't wait. I'm so far behind everyone else.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: January 17, 2010, 01:26:05 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on January 17, 2010, 12:52:46 PM

I'm finally digging into this game, and am having troubles.  I'm at about the 4th level of the Mage Tower, and I'm out of healing potions.

Party is:

Me Dwarven FIghter lvl 7
Wynne
Lilianna
Sten

Am I screwed?

Wynne is a great healer, so no , you'r not screwed. Also, if you are finding the battles too hard, turn it down a notch and regulate once you'r on top again.

There's  a lesson there as well - make sure you have a ton of healing potions before entering these kind of places :-)

A new one
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 17, 2010, 07:55:39 PM »

Ok I now own DA:O.

See if this sounds right.

I am going to play through as a goody goody first. I plan to NOT get Shale because I want to save him for my evil play through. OOoorrrr should I get him anyways and use him in both play throughs?

Also this Blood Dragon Armor....get it for both play throughs also?

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1132 on: January 17, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »

There's really no reason to wait for the evil play through.
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:46 PM »

There's no reason not to at least get Shale in your first playthrough.  You can leave him in your camp if you really don't want to use him.  You can chat with him there, and all of your party members will have somewhat of an impact before the game is through.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: January 18, 2010, 12:42:12 AM »

I would get all the characters on both plays through.  Sometimes you are forced to make choices, though.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: January 18, 2010, 02:44:38 AM »

Ok grabbing Shale and the Armor. It looks like its going to download some kind of herb carrying belt too.  Im not buying the Keep addon though.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:23 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 17, 2010, 01:26:05 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on January 17, 2010, 12:52:46 PM

Party is:

Me Dwarven FIghter lvl 7
Wynne
Lilianna
Sten

Am I screwed?

Wynne is a great healer, so no , you'r not screwed. Also, if you are finding the battles too hard, turn it down a notch and regulate once you'r on top again.

There's  a lesson there as well - make sure you have a ton of healing potions before entering these kind of places :-)

yeah, Wynne has the heal spell but she also has Group Heal.  I don't think she initially has a tactic set up for it, and I found the best way to utilize it was to keep an eye on everyones health level and then, when necessary, switching to her and casting it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: January 18, 2010, 03:55:03 AM »

I think I just made the tactic slots:
 if "party member's health is <25%" then "cast heal"
 if "party member's health is <25%" then "cast group heal"

They do the tactics in order, so while the heal spell is cooling down, she casts the group heal.  And more than likely if she's needing to cast a second heal spell on someone, it's more than likely that the rest of the party could use healing too.  I also manually cast it as I saw fit as well.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:29 AM »

I tried that set up, but more often than not it seemed like she was wasting the group heal, and I also set her heal at <50%.  that tied into another tactic I used for most of the game was to only worry about getting lesser healing potions and telling all my party members to use the most powerful heal potion available at 50% health.  it seemed telling them to wait until <25% mostly ended in them dying before getting the healing benefit.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: January 18, 2010, 07:29:53 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on January 17, 2010, 08:41:08 AM

Quote from: jersoc on January 17, 2010, 07:45:08 AM

Look at the amount of content you get with the retail game, though.  Bioware could have shipped Dragon Age with half the content and still sold a bazillion copies, but they didn't.  They earned my goodwill (along with Bethesda and their RPGs) by providing a huge amount of content on the disc, and as far as I'm concerned, they can do whatever they want with the DLC.  I doubt I'll buy any of it, but I already have a complete game without it, and if the higher profit margin of the DLC allows them to make more games with epic scope and tons of content, then more power to them.

No, they can't do whatever they want with DLC because it sets a terrible, terrible precedent. That attitude got us people buying horse armor that justified this entire bullshit of a model. People will buy it and further justify this bullshit. So no, please don't give the "i dont give a shit" attitude because this is why games today are sucking ass and half finished.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: January 18, 2010, 07:53:19 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on January 18, 2010, 07:29:53 AM

So no, please don't give the "i dont give a shit" attitude because this is why games today are sucking ass and half finished.

You, sir, lack historical perspective. Your nostalgia is getting the best of you. Tongue
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 18, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »

Got to the part where I'm to d oa ritual to join the Wardens. I stopped right there and saved it for today.

I', love'n it. Oh Im a male human noble btw.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 18, 2010, 08:48:00 PM »

I'm going to grab me some mods. The only one I recall offhand is the cool robe for Morrigan. of course I'd remember that one! smile  I think I bookmarked the mod site. Hope I did.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 18, 2010, 08:48:00 PM

I'm going to grab me some mods. The only one I recall offhand is the cool robe for Morrigan. of course I'd remember that one! smile  I think I bookmarked the mod site. Hope I did.

Most recommend you stay away from mods on your first play through (other then the ones that have utility value, like a camp chest, etc.)

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 18, 2010, 09:00:07 PM »

I'm debating whether or not to continue with my city elf playthrough while waiting for ME2. Maybe I'll play a bit and find a good stopping point before next Tuesday. 

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 18, 2010, 11:03:55 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on January 18, 2010, 08:59:50 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on January 18, 2010, 08:48:00 PM

Most recommend you stay away from mods on your first play through (other then the ones that have utility value, like a camp chest, etc.)

I only downloaded 2 mods after all. A new Morrigan look. Its a new model..based on the real girl they used..and a hair mod for it....

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 18, 2010, 11:26:23 PM »

I'll have to check out that hair mod. If I like it I'll add it into the mod thread.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 18, 2010, 11:53:25 PM »

Ya theres some very nice hair styles in it. Im only using the one on Morrigan though. I set it not ti use any on any other npcs.

Actually I think Ill go back to stock Morrigan for the first play through. The way I first saw her. Next time I'll go back to this mod.

Here is a last pic of her that I just took in her hut.

Right pretty it is.

Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 19, 2010, 02:21:16 AM »

Am I the only one a bit weirded out by that mod?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 19, 2010, 05:00:32 AM »

I don't like that mod, mainly because it looks too much like a model and not like someone who's grown up in a wilderness.  On top of that, Morrigan is more then just the physical model they used as a template, just as was the case with HL2's use of real people as models.  The stock model incorporates enough of Claudia Black (the voice actor) to make the whole thing work.  And there are other mods that manage to clean her up without losing that aspect of things. IMHO, obviously.

But there are always people who want to mess with things.  Hence the HL2 mods where Alyx suddenly becomes a big busted bimbo.   Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 05:02:11 AM by Sarkus » Logged

- American Dad
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 19, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »

Gotta agree with Sarkus here. Morrigan is fine the way she is, because they captured the mysterious, sort-of-evil, witch appearance perfectly. Part of the adult theme of Dragon Age lies in its characters I think. If you start changing them into pretty dolls, it's just another generic rpg.

Well, off course it's not, but it would detract a bit from the global experience I think. But hey, that's why they're mods, to change a game into something you like more.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 19, 2010, 02:06:47 PM »

My only niggle, and it's not even really one about this game, is that you almost get thrown in TOO quickly.  It's overwhelming to have level 5 or 6 characters with a full compliment of spells and abilities and having to battle without knowing what they do.  At least the infinity engine games started you at the beginning and eased you in.

Oh well, just an excuse for another playthrough.

"Goonies never say die"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 20, 2010, 01:15:39 AM »

Where might be best to go after Lothering? I was thinking of doing the forest area. I dont own the Soldiers Hill addon or whatever it is called. I thought I could build myself up some before going to the magi, the elves, or redcliff. Good idea?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 20, 2010, 01:22:40 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2010, 01:15:39 AM

Where might be best to go after Lothering? I was thinking of doing the forest area. I dont own the Soldiers Hill addon or whatever it is called. I thought I could build myself up some before going to the magi, the elves, or redcliff. Good idea?

I did the Mage tower after Lothering because it gives you a valuable party member.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 20, 2010, 01:31:55 AM »

Hmmmmmm. Where bouts is Shale? I have that one but dont know what town he is in now.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:08 AM »

I'm wondering how that artist got the long hair mesh to move properly on the model.  He'd have to tie it into existing bones, or make new ones for the hair, tough work on an existing game model.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 20, 2010, 01:43:45 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 20, 2010, 01:31:55 AM

Hmmmmmm. Where bouts is Shale? I have that one but dont know what town he is in now.

IIRC his quest is triggered by a random encounter while traveling between spots on the map.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 20, 2010, 01:44:30 AM »

O I C. TY.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 20, 2010, 01:53:42 AM »

So far the choice is pretty moot. Out of the 4 times I've left camp I've died 4 times. I always encounter something and die. I've tried different party members and such. I've met my end by ghosts, wolves, wolves, and bandits.

EDIT: Finally made it to the tower. I sure die a lot though on normal and Im very low on potions. Sure is hard to get potions too.  Double whammy.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:54:28 AM by Daehawk » Logged

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:41 AM »

You can switch the difficulty at any time.

That said give Morrigan a healing spell as soon as possible and your life will be much easier.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: