http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 09:34:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 77460 times)
jersoc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 21, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

ok, how in the shit are you suppose to beat redcliffe? I have tried two times and on the 2nd part i just get over ran every god damn time.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 21, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »

Re redcliffe
Spoiler for Hiden:
There are several things you can do to improve your chances.

1) Get oil - near the backend of the town, theres the old store - get in there and find the oil.
2) Get the dwarf - also near the back end of town - he's behind a locked door, convince him to join.
3) Get the elf - he's at the inn
4) Get the innkeeper to help you out as well
5) Get the smith to help out
6) Get the old woman priest to bless the knights

all of those things should considerably get the ods in your favor - also remember, you can heal the NPCS!

A new one
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 22, 2009, 05:50:24 AM »

Here's how I beat the infamous Redcliffe segment:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Put the difficulty on Easy for that part. Tongue

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 22, 2009, 07:22:29 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 21, 2009, 10:01:59 PM

Re redcliffe
Spoiler for Hiden:
There are several things you can do to improve your chances.

1) Get oil - near the backend of the town, theres the old store - get in there and find the oil.
2) Get the dwarf - also near the back end of town - he's behind a locked door, convince him to join.
3) Get the elf - he's at the inn
4) Get the innkeeper to help you out as well
5) Get the smith to help out
6) Get the old woman priest to bless the knights

all of those things should considerably get the ods in your favor - also remember, you can heal the NPCS!

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got most of those, I blew my chance with the old hag already, I figured it was nonsense, plus the knight part is easy so whatever. i missed the dwarf. god damn hairy midgets

I may just have to put it on easy. I'm going to try shale and whiner for having 2 tanks. also, is duel wielding really broken? i kept reading about how daggers suck or something. what's up with that?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #924 on: November 22, 2009, 08:52:04 AM »

Thankfully, it's only daggers that suck right now, and they were never intended to be main weapons, so always equip swords and such in your main hand, and then only use daggers in your off hand until you get the ability to equip full swords/axes in your off hand.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #925 on: November 22, 2009, 09:46:40 AM »

Leliana is dual-wielding daggers in my game, and she easily does the most damage of all my characters. There are some pretty damn good daggers in the game.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 22, 2009, 10:12:50 AM »

Daggers for DEX characters arent as good as they could be right now - for strength characters, i.e. dual-wielding warriors, its awesome.

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 22, 2009, 03:56:57 PM »

Un-modded, daggers are fine when you take the Lethality talent (opens up at Level Cool that allows you to replace your STR modifier with your CUN modifier.  And any rogue worth his salt is going to take that talent anyway. 

Otherwise if you are playing on the PC you can get a hotfix to resolve the dexterity issue. 
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 22, 2009, 06:01:27 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 22, 2009, 09:46:40 AM

Leliana is dual-wielding daggers in my game, and she easily does the most damage of all my characters. There are some pretty damn good daggers in the game.

i have Leliana using Olaf's Prized Cheese Knife from the Stone Prisoner quest and it's a pretty impressive dagger for so early in the game...good damage rating, nice attack bonus, and two rune slots.  i currently have runes on it to add a couple types of elemental damage.  combine those stats with backstab, and she's dealing more damage with each hit than anyone else in my party right now.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 22, 2009, 06:11:38 PM »

I still plan to get this soon. Was wondering does anyone think I'd be gimping myself too bad just getting the vanilla version and not buying any DLC?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 22, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 22, 2009, 06:11:38 PM

I still plan to get this soon. Was wondering does anyone think I'd be gimping myself too bad just getting the vanilla version and not buying any DLC?
wouldn't be gimping yourself at all...there's still a ton of gaming and great story without any DLC.  the current DLC just adds another character for your party and a single quest line, neither of which are necessary by any means.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #931 on: November 22, 2009, 06:53:58 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 22, 2009, 06:21:12 PM

wouldn't be gimping yourself at all...there's still a ton of gaming and great story without any DLC.  the current DLC just adds another character for your party and a single quest line, neither of which are necessary by any means.

No, the DLC adds an awesome character to your party (his lines at time are absolute riots) and a single quest line.

Actually...hold on. Doesn't the DLC for Shale come free of charge with any brand new purchase of Dragon Age? Isn't Warden's Keep (which to be frank, offers little short of some nice armor and items to purchase) the one you have to purchase no matter which version (vanilla or CE) you buy (short of the digital download versions)?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 22, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »

Quote from: disarm on November 22, 2009, 06:01:27 PM

i have Leliana using Olaf's Prized Cheese Knife from the Stone Prisoner quest and it's a pretty impressive dagger for so early in the game...good damage rating, nice attack bonus, and two rune slots.  i currently have runes on it to add a couple types of elemental damage.  combine those stats with backstab, and she's dealing more damage with each hit than anyone else in my party right now.

that had 2 rune slots?  aw crap, I think I sold it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #933 on: November 22, 2009, 07:37:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 22, 2009, 06:53:58 PM

Quote from: disarm on November 22, 2009, 06:21:12 PM

No, the DLC adds an awesome character to your party (his lines at time are absolute riots) and a single quest line.

Actually...hold on. Doesn't the DLC for Shale come free of charge with any brand new purchase of Dragon Age? Isn't Warden's Keep (which to be frank, offers little short of some nice armor and items to purchase) the one you have to purchase no matter which version (vanilla or CE) you buy (short of the digital download versions)?

Shale is indeed free with all versions of the game.  Amazingly he integrates fully with the main storyline and even has some of the best character quests and interactions in the game.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 22, 2009, 08:07:19 PM »

Shale is the HK47 of the game. so hilarious. He's also a great tank and soaks up dmg like no other.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 22, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 22, 2009, 07:04:04 PM

Quote from: disarm on November 22, 2009, 06:01:27 PM

that had 2 rune slots?  aw crap, I think I sold it.

yes it does...pretty awesome weapon for something that you can obtain so early in the game icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 23, 2009, 03:19:50 AM »

"If it must."
"It beckons?"

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 23, 2009, 07:08:44 PM »

I second that the Shale story line is great, and one of the best companion quests.  Shale's strength is not just in tanking, but as an amazingly flexible all purpose companion, based on the situation.  Not too far into the game Shale can already have two lines maxed out, and by mid point, can become your most flexible character.  

I think Allistar makes a better tank later in the game due to better armor and defense, and him being fully ranked up in weapon and shield and templar abilities.  Holy Smite is nasty against mages.  But Shale is more flexible, and can fill a tank, melee dps, ranged dps, and support role at a moments notice.  

On the inspirpation for Shale (major companion spoiler):
Spoiler for Hiden:
There are so many things in DA that seem to be directly influenced from Warhammer 40k.  The golems, and Shale, are like dreadnoughts...which was a very cool reveal.  Calindon (sp?) was just like a 40k dreadnought.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:10:46 PM by Roguetad » Logged
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 23, 2009, 09:49:44 PM »

I finally finished my first playthrough of the game, and was very pleased with the final outcome.  The concluding sequences were every bit as epic and well-paced as I might have hoped, though there were a couple of side diversion portions which I thought could have used editing or omission.  All in all an incredible game, and even with some bugs and minor nits/issues, no doubt one of the best CRPGs of all time.

Something I do wonder about, is with the multiple possible endings (with what I presume are big possible differences), how they will (or won't) manage to make sequel storylines.  Will they choose a particular branch to spawn stories from?  Even if they jump a sequel years in the future, they kind of have to acknowledge the events of this game, don't they?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm talking mainly about who survives, who becomes king, etc. which would be pretty big events in the timeline.  Some of the other stuff I guess they could gloss over like Andraste's ashes and the Anvil, and still be consistent for a seuqel.  Also it seems like one of the best storylines would feature Morrigan's baby, but of course many characters (females) wouldn't even see this plot point, right?

And for the gay-friendly population out there, here's how I interpreted the complete conclusion of my story:

Spoiler for Hiden:
After getting captured by Calidain(?), Alistair and I awake in the prison pretty much naked (I have screenies to prove it!)  One thing leads to another, and let's just say there are no more virgins in the plotline.  He *really* approved of the "gift" I gave him.  After we escape, of course I help him and let him kill Logain so he becomes king.  He whines about it but whatever, that's just Alistair.  I end up doing that slut Claudia Black to save myself but Alistair forgives me since he's pretty much my bitch at this point.  After destroying the darkspawn, I stay at his side as his advisor to help him rule the kingdom, and we live happily ever after!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 23, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »

Maybe they'll do like they're doing with the Mass Effect games and have it scan your save files from the previous game and adjust things from there.

Because I can,
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #940 on: November 23, 2009, 10:54:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 23, 2009, 09:49:44 PM

Endgame spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also it seems like one of the best storylines would feature Morrigan's baby, but of course many characters (females) wouldn't even see this plot point, right?

Actually they can:
Spoiler for Hiden:
the player character isn't the only Grey warden option for that result, Morrigan isn't picky

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #941 on: November 23, 2009, 10:55:57 PM »

Must find time to keep playing...55+ hours in and absolutely nowhere near the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 23, 2009, 11:41:46 PM »

I haven't finished but I strongly suspect that the sequels will take place in other countries and perhaps with a mostly new cast.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 24, 2009, 03:22:30 AM »

I finished this tonight at just under 53 hours, 75% sidequests (according to the achievment) and yet only 48% of DA "completed" on the Hero screen. Huh?

Anyway, I thought it was superb. Definitely my favorite of the Bioware fantasy RPGs that I have finished. Thank god for Easy mode and being able to (mostly) disable friendly fire. Really liked the infusion of some MMO mechanics into their real time tactical combat. That definitely removed some of the tedium I have had with their older games with the constant need to rest, etc.

My main gripes were with the limited inventory (just annoying) and with the need to restart every hour or two to keep the load times under control. Really wish I had a beefier PC as I ended up dialing graphics to low and textures to medium to make this the most playable it could be. The game just flat out doesn't look that great on those settings.

I'll probably play through the other origin stories some time soon, but for now I am ready for Assassins Creed 2!!

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 24, 2009, 03:56:57 AM »

Quote from: JCC on November 24, 2009, 03:22:30 AM

I finished this tonight at just under 53 hours, 75% sidequests (according to the achievment) and yet only 48% of DA "completed" on the Hero screen. Huh?

you get dinged quite a bit on your completion percentage because you haven't played all the different origin stories, regardless of how many quests you've completed or areas you've visited.  the quest completion stats and percentage of areas explored are a better indicator of how much of the game you've really experienced.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: November 24, 2009, 07:10:56 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 24, 2009, 03:22:30 AM

Really wish I had a beefier PC as I ended up dialing graphics to low and textures to medium to make this the most playable it could be. The game just flat out doesn't look that great on those settings.

That's okay it doesn't look that great maxed out either. Tongue
Not that I'm not enjoying the game-I am. It just lloks kind of vanilla and washed out to me. And I played Risen right before it which I thought looked fantastic. Different type of game so not fair to compare-it's just the last one I played.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »

On the ending:

Spoiler for Hiden:
My Dwarf Noble told Morrigan to "Fuck off" since I was in a relationship with Leiliana, but I think the real ending will follow the Morrigan ending. It will be kind of hard to pick up from my save since my character died.  Although, if Bioware wanted that to be the real ending they could have just has Morrigan shape shift into Leiliana...

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 25, 2009, 09:30:33 PM »

this game is good. I noticed my play time, 31 hours. wtf, I can't believe i'm 31 hours in. It feels like I have just gotten started. I only have 1 of the 3 guys for the rally thing. Only had this game for a week too. Scary lol
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 01, 2009, 04:50:20 PM »

I finally got back to playing this last night and immediately found my combat skills out of practice.  had 2 random encounters and both times my tank (sten) went down, leaving 2 rogues and a mage to clean up things.  it's kinda sad when you think about it, big ol' Sten lying on the ground while Leilana, Wynne and my female Noble saves his ass.

One of the encounters was a battle with a bunch of bear traps lying around.  only one got triggered during the fight (don't ask me how the others were missed, I didn't even notice them until after the fight) and there were about a dozen left, which gave me 30 XP each for disarming them.  It was a nice bonus since only one of the Hurloks dropped anything.

I saved the game at the beginning of Redcliffe, but I think I may go back to the Elf segment to finish that up since I started that portion and went to get Wynne before finishing.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 01, 2009, 04:52:04 PM »

I dropped Sten from my party almost immediately because he couldn't hold up in a fight.  Did much better with Dog in my party until I was able to grab Shale. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 01, 2009, 05:01:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 01, 2009, 04:52:04 PM

I dropped Sten from my party almost immediately because he couldn't hold up in a fight.  Did much better with Dog in my party until I was able to grab Shale. 

I thought about trying Shale, but I have a feeling he's not going to fit my playstyle this run through (trying to be good, relatively). I just found some templar armor for Alistair, so I may call him back up from the minors.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 01, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

I thought about trying Shale, but I have a feeling he's not going to fit my playstyle this run through (trying to be good, relatively). I just found some templar armor for Alistair, so I may call him back up from the minors.

Shale is pretty laid back. I've had him in my party for most of the game and he very rarely disapproves of my generally positive actions.  Morrigan is far more problematic from a moral perspective. 

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: December 01, 2009, 06:21:12 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 01, 2009, 05:08:23 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2009, 05:01:15 PM

Shale is pretty laid back. I've had him in my party for most of the game and he very rarely disapproves of my generally positive actions.  Morrigan is far more problematic from a moral perspective. 

Morrigan disapproved of basically every decision I made but I kept her around all the way to the end (well almost). With a few gifts any NPC seems happy to stick around.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:13 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on December 01, 2009, 06:21:12 PM

Morrigan disapproved of basically every decision I made but I kept her around all the way to the end (well almost). With a few gifts any NPC seems happy to stick around.

Yeah, I'm actually kind of disapponted in that aspect of the game.  Pre-release there was a lot of ballyhoo over how companions would leave your party if they weren't happy with your decisions and that you couldn't possibly please everyone, etc but the reality is that it has been absolutely trivial to keep everyone's approval sky high.  Morrigan disapproves of almost every decision I make yet her overall approval is somewhere in the 60s. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 01, 2009, 08:06:03 PM »

just gift them a lot. morrigan isn't giving me too much trouble. she's in the 70's and i've barely done anything with her.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: December 01, 2009, 08:30:28 PM »

Agreed on the whole 'friendly or not' aspect about the characters - it's extremely difficult (from what I've seen) to truly piss them off.

Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 01, 2009, 08:57:02 PM »

This!

Sten gets his ass kicked in every fight.  Dude gets beat like a rented mule every time.

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 01, 2009, 08:59:19 PM »

I think the fact that you only have your standing with party members affected when they are physically with you plays a big role in that shortcoming. I'm fairly certain I could seriously piss off Leilana big time; I may make it one of my goals for my evil play through.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2009, 08:59:19 PM

I think the fact that you only have your standing with party members affected when they are physically with you plays a big role in that shortcoming. I'm fairly certain I could seriously piss off Leilana big time; I may make it one of my goals for my evil play through.

Nah, it really doesn't matter.  I've had Morrigan in my party the entire game.  She disagrees with every single thing I do but her approval is still high.  The game is balanced in favor of gifts- if you give the right gifts they will more than overcome any negatives from decisions that you make.  To really piss someone off you would not only need to have them in your party continuously but also never give them a gift. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 01, 2009, 09:35:48 PM »

There are certainly decisions you can make that will cause that party member (if they are present at the time) to leave your party. I've had a couple of those situations so far, though I usually reload because I'm a wuss.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: