http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 06:11:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 79190 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 12, 2009, 08:12:23 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 12, 2009, 04:23:05 PM

I hear that at a place not mentioned there is a statue of a fighter holding a hamster.......anyone seen that?

Umm, where?   Bioware Reps have mentioned that they wasn't a easter egg in the game

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 12, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 12, 2009, 08:12:23 PM

I hear that at a place not mentioned there is a statue of a fighter holding a hamster.......anyone seen that?

Umm, where?   Bioware Reps have mentioned that they wasn't a easter egg in the game

a guy on another forum mentioned it but apparently didn't want to give away the location.................."There is a certain statue in a certain location(not telling where Tongue) with a warrior holding a hamster in his left hand...."
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 12, 2009, 09:16:14 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 12, 2009, 09:07:03 PM

Quote from: Soulchilde on November 12, 2009, 08:12:23 PM

a guy on another forum mentioned it but apparently didn't want to give away the location.................."There is a certain statue in a certain location(not telling where Tongue) with a warrior holding a hamster in his left hand...."
Geek Legend?

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 12, 2009, 09:32:39 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 12, 2009, 07:21:00 PM

Now that would be a fantastic homage if that were true. biggrin

Does it say where it is or anything? There's a LOT of statues in the game world.

on loading screen there are quotes of this kind as well :-)

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 12, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »

Question re side quest in Mage tower

Spoiler for Hiden:
I really cant figure out the side quests - the statues in the great hall...I press the one with the bowl, nothing happens, the one with the lowered sword, nothing happens, the one with the raised sword, nothing happens...what am I doing wrong?

A new one
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 12, 2009, 09:40:14 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 12, 2009, 09:36:05 PM

Question re side quest in Mage tower

Spoiler for Hiden:
I really cant figure out the side quests - the statues in the great hall...I press the one with the bowl, nothing happens, the one with the lowered sword, nothing happens, the one with the raised sword, nothing happens...what am I doing wrong?

Press them in the correct order then you'll get the final prompt telling you something happened. There are 4 total.

Nothing happens at all when you click on them individually, kinda wierd.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: November 12, 2009, 09:42:06 PM »

re statues

Spoiler for Hiden:
and what is the fourth one?? I'm obviously missing something here :-)

sorry folks, spoilered it up!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 11:22:36 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 12, 2009, 10:01:05 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 12, 2009, 09:42:06 PM

re statues

and what is the fourth one?? I'm obviously missing something here :-)
keep going.  you'll see it soon. 

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 13, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »

Gamebanshee has an equipment database up.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #849 on: November 13, 2009, 06:04:42 PM »

Finished it, loved it.  It was, however, more a throw back than a new CRPG, but those older elements are what made this game possible since they allowed it to be released on consoles.

Overall I didn't have that many tough choices since I put points into persuade early, but the big ones, of course, came towards the end.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: November 13, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 13, 2009, 06:04:42 PM

Overall I didn't have that many tough choices since I put points into persuade early, but the big ones, of course, came towards the end.

I'm kind of curious what you mean by this.  Unless you've played the game multiple times (or perhaps have the guide book), how do you know for certain that some decisions you made early on weren't a bigger deal than not?  I suppose some choices may just not have seemed tough at the time, or maybe it's the not knowing what the ramifications could have been that makes it seem like they weren't tough?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #851 on: November 14, 2009, 01:23:05 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on November 13, 2009, 09:20:04 PM

Quote from: Turtle on November 13, 2009, 06:04:42 PM

I'm kind of curious what you mean by this.  Unless you've played the game multiple times (or perhaps have the guide book), how do you know for certain that some decisions you made early on weren't a bigger deal than not?  I suppose some choices may just not have seemed tough at the time, or maybe it's the not knowing what the ramifications could have been that makes it seem like they weren't tough?

I had persuade pumped pretty early and there were still plenty of tough choices. Just because an option has (persuade) next to it doesn't make it the right choice.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #852 on: November 14, 2009, 02:30:18 AM »

For the first three story missions I was able to reach a pretty good compromise, it still involved death and struggle, but ended up well enough for everyone.  Orzammar no compromise can be made, and same for many of the ending scenes.

That's why I say that I, personally, didn't have many tough decisions since I easily navigated myself to find the compromises that worked for a vast majority of the game.

Persuade options don't always make it the right choice, but it makes it much easier to reach the right choice.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #853 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »

I'm starting to wonder if Bioware took some inspiration for part of this game from a module I made for Neverwinter Nights. Before you laugh at me, here's an overview of the things that are pretty much exactly the same:

Spoilers for Village of Haven section of the game:
Spoiler for Hiden:
You arrive at the secluded village of Haven (yes, it's the same name) looking for a specific person who has gone missing, where you are greeted by a very unfriendly guard who only reluctantly lets you pass. The people in the village act strangely and are hostile towards you, though they don't attack. Entering a cave nearby, you discover that the villagers are hiding a large secret that both threatens and protects their village, and that they worship this secret. The actual stuff in the temple is way different from my module, but everything before that is suspiciously familiar.

This is the link to my module: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=2904

What do you think? Coincidence or not? It would be cool if they actually did play my module and were inspired by it. It was a somewhat popular module as well, so it wouldn't be surprising if they had played it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #854 on: November 16, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »

I think you're giving yourself too much credit.  slywink

Paul on OO already posted on how that exact same premise has been used in fiction for a very long time now.  Lovecraft loved using that premise.  But plenty of other video games also use the premise, with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and more.  Heck, every RPG known to man probably has "A Town With A Secret".

It could be said that you're the one pulling inspiration from the same sources Bioware pulls inspiration, and thus being less original.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: November 16, 2009, 07:13:57 AM »

You know, the line between spoilers and not-spoilers is getting pretty thin in this thread...

Can we all just please be carefull, since I dont wany any of the good stuff ruined...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #856 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:34 AM »

Razgon...

The blight is your father...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #857 on: November 16, 2009, 07:29:06 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 16, 2009, 07:13:57 AM

You know, the line between spoilers and not-spoilers is getting pretty thin in this thread...

Can we all just please be carefull, since I dont wany any of the good stuff ruined...

It's like this in all the Dragon Age threads both here at GT and at OO. I actually made a complaint about it in the Forum and Site Feedback part of the site. I have no idea what it is about Dragon Age that makes people post spoilers without giving it a second thought, particularly since this almost never happens with other games.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #858 on: November 16, 2009, 07:38:03 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 16, 2009, 07:18:34 AM

Razgon...

just don't tell him about the Morrigan Crying Game scene.....

Because I can,
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: November 16, 2009, 01:14:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 16, 2009, 07:38:03 AM

Quote from: Turtle on November 16, 2009, 07:18:34 AM

Razgon...

just don't tell him about the Morrigan Crying Game scene.....

That was not as distrubting as the hound romance scene imho. (hint, don't gift your hound the <hero's name> bone).

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: November 16, 2009, 01:15:38 PM »

I guess that's a no...

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: November 16, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »

Everytime a game like this comes out I want to believe its the one that will win me over. I love the whole concept of a deep story driven RPG. But when I actually get down to playing them I just feel like most of my time is taken up with micromanagement that I don't like.

I guess what I really don't get excited about is the whole party thing. For me it looses the immersive aspects of just playing one character, you.

Beautiful game though. I've been trying to dig in, but once again the fun factor is drastically reduced when I have to constantly keep the party "tuned up and viable".

I probably also prefer to do my reading from books. I find in games like this that the dialogue and options surrounded it are too much.

Its not that I'm a "now generation" type. What I like from PC games is fun distraction for a hour or two. I would love this game to bits if I didn't have to be involved in a NPC party and all that entails.

Anyway, I can certainly appreciate why people would love this game and those like it. The work that must have gone into this is staggering.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: November 16, 2009, 02:27:20 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on November 16, 2009, 02:06:17 PM

Beautiful game though. I've been trying to dig in, but once again the fun factor is drastically reduced when I have to constantly keep the party "tuned up and viable".

Did you try turning on the auto-level up feature for your party members and set the game difficulty to easy? While you still would need to swap out weapons and armor as upgrades came along, it would take out some of the "tuning up".
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: November 16, 2009, 03:18:01 PM »

one thing I noticed last night that kinda bugs me:  when you go into conversation with a party member they keep their current armor on plus any blood splatter, but their helmet disappears for the whole conversation.  minor, I know, but now it's going to bug me everytime I talk to one of my party members.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: November 16, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 16, 2009, 03:18:01 PM

one thing I noticed last night that kinda bugs me:  when you go into conversation with a party member they keep their current armor on plus any blood splatter, but their helmet disappears for the whole conversation.  minor, I know, but now it's going to bug me everytime I talk to one of my party members.

That's a good thing.  A lot of the helmets are pretty hideous and even those that are cool looking would still take a fair amount from the scene because it restricts the facial animation you can see.  I had a bug in the game where the headgear stayed on my character in cutscenes (fixed with a reload) and I couldn't get it off fast enough.  If they didn't automatically remove headgear for cutscenes then I just wouldn't have any characters where the stuff. 
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: November 16, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »

I guess what I really don't get excited about is the whole party thing. For me it looses the immersive aspects of just playing one character, you.

For me, it's the complete opposite. I wish someone made a game to go through WoW dungeons while controlling all 5 group members.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: November 16, 2009, 04:39:39 PM »

Quote from: Toe on November 16, 2009, 02:27:20 PM

Quote from: Arclight on November 16, 2009, 02:06:17 PM

Did you try turning on the auto-level up feature for your party members and set the game difficulty to easy? While you still would need to swap out weapons and armor as upgrades came along, it would take out some of the "tuning up".

I did see that option wasn't sure how well the game would handle it. I'll give it a try and see if it streamlines things a bit better for me.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: November 16, 2009, 05:18:07 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 16, 2009, 03:24:14 PM

That's a good thing.  A lot of the helmets are pretty hideous and even those that are cool looking would still take a fair amount from the scene because it restricts the facial animation you can see.  I had a bug in the game where the headgear stayed on my character in cutscenes (fixed with a reload) and I couldn't get it off fast enough.  If they didn't automatically remove headgear for cutscenes then I just wouldn't have any characters where the stuff. 
I agree that it's better to have them off than not, but my preference would be to have the caracters at least holding their headgear.  That doesn't even rank as a  minor quibble of mine, however - just a mild preference that likely isn't worth the extra coding involved. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #868 on: November 16, 2009, 05:28:52 PM »

it would have been cool to see them take the helmet off at the start of the cutscene. 

i played past the post joining section yesterday and into the first village.  i'm seeing a number of different ways to go about many of the non fight encounters, and i've already reloaded it a few times to see what changes. 

Quote from: Turtle on November 16, 2009, 02:23:00 AM

I think you're giving yourself too much credit.  slywink

Paul on OO already posted on how that exact same premise has been used in fiction for a very long time now.  Lovecraft loved using that premise.  But plenty of other video games also use the premise, with games like Resident Evil, Silent Hill, and more.  Heck, every RPG known to man probably has "A Town With A Secret".

fallout 3's instance of this was particularly notable.  hell, they had a few of them. 

Toe

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: November 16, 2009, 06:40:04 PM »

I did like 4-5 reloads at one pivotal point to see how things played out. Was suprised at all the differences.

Spoiler (Landsmeet)

Spoiler for Hiden:
When I went to Landsmeet I was suprised how things went down. The first time I did not get a chance to pick the option that calls out Loghain for selling elf slaves. I saw the option but I picked something else first with intentions to bring it up later for a coup de grace. It did not show up and the majority sided with Loghain.  I reloaded, picked it first, and brought up that we need to focus on blight (instead of accusing him of withdrawing at Ostagar) and everyone sided with me.

At first I tried to save Loghain cause I knew he could be a party member (so kinda felt I was suppose to). Alistar got really pissed though, so reloaded and ended up killing Loghain, then I thought maybe it would make him more kingly if Alistar killed Loghain instead. Turns out his daughter gets royally pissed and does not go through with their marriage.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: November 16, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »

Amen to that!  My main guy (mage) has this hideous hat on which looks like something Genie on I Dream of Genie would wear.  The only more hideously gay hats (and not in a good way) I've seen in a game were in Aion lol.  And my Alistair has some plate metal helm on which makes him look like a robot, so I would not want to have to see him animated with that thing on all the time.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: November 16, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

That's a good thing.  A lot of the helmets are pretty hideous and even those that are cool looking would still take a fair amount from the scene because it restricts the facial animation you can see.  I had a bug in the game where the headgear stayed on my character in cutscenes (fixed with a reload) and I couldn't get it off fast enough.

I agree: as a point of personal preference, I really like the fact that cutscenes play out sans helmets.  Bioware worked so hard to change up the camera angles, animations, and facial expressions during conversations, it all plays a lot better when the characters aren't burdened with clunky (and often ugly) headgear.

-Autistic Angel
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #872 on: November 16, 2009, 07:03:02 PM »

Totally agreed as far as headgear goes. And for that matter, I wish I could play with them off all the time. Like with most games, the helmets/headgear tend to look...horrible. And they totally block the customization you put into your character.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: November 16, 2009, 07:25:45 PM »

I bet they will add a "Hide Helm" toggle in a future patch.  That's become almost an expected feature in most crpgs (mmorpgs).  

I noticed what I think is a bug with the skill Berserk.  It makes sense from a roleplaying point of view that berserk would not be a true sustainable ability between battles...so it shuts off between fights.  What doesn't make sense is that it shuts off any time I open a menu of any kind during fights.  That has to be a bug.  It's not fatigue related, since my character is mostly topped off on fatigue when it shuts off from opening menus.  When berserk is up, combined with momentum, carnage ensues.  The stamina drain/stamina regen penalties are not too bad once ranked up to the 3rd berserk skill.

Regarding Shale and his storyline while adventuring on the Orzimarr quest (no spoilers...but just in case you don't want any tips at all):
Spoiler for Hiden:
I recommend taking him with you all the way to the finale encounter in the deep roads.  I missed that opportunity by not taking him along...which I regret now.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 07:30:44 PM by Roguetad » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: November 17, 2009, 03:28:59 PM »

I finally got around to applying the Impulse patch last night, and either combat has finally clicked with me or they made it a lot more easier on normal than their patch claims.  I just finished up the Circle Tower:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the Fade portion was cool, but I'm not looking forward to going through it again even though I'm interested to see how they handle Shale in that segment.  it felt too long, and I wish they gave you more options with the 'ambush' with the sloth demon that put you there; all demons I encountered up to that point were bad, so why would I stop to talk with him and not charge in fireballs blasting?

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on November 16, 2009, 07:25:45 PM

I bet they will add a "Hide Helm" toggle in a future patch.  That's become almost an expected feature in most crpgs (mmorpgs).  

they wont - there's a dev comment on the forums about this - they keep saying, as they do about respec as well "The game is about choices" - this argument appearnetly also applies to the choice of helmets :-D

A new one
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: November 17, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »

Yeah, I love that headgear comes off for conversations.

And holy SHIT the mage cowls are idiotic looking... what's wrong with a nice hood?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: November 17, 2009, 05:27:19 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 17, 2009, 05:19:59 PM

And holy SHIT the mage cowls are idiotic looking... what's wrong with a nice hood?

Yeah, it's weird that there is all of this pre-production artwork with Morrigan in a hood but I've yet to find one in the game. 
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: November 17, 2009, 05:34:17 PM »

Total coneheads.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: November 17, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 17, 2009, 05:27:19 PM

Quote from: kratz on November 17, 2009, 05:19:59 PM

Yeah, it's weird that there is all of this pre-production artwork with Morrigan in a hood but I've yet to find one in the game. 

you know, combat did become easier after I put that mage hood on my main character to free up an inventory slot.... maybe they're that way distract the enemy with laughter....

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: