http://gamingtrend.com
November 24, 2014, 09:46:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 80867 times)
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 22, 2009, 04:40:23 PM »

Eurogamer basically acknowledged that DA won't be an immersive virtual world at all.

This kind of statement would depend on your definition of "immersive virtual world" and I am pretty sure Eurogamer didn't say anything about Dragon Age being not immersive. In fact, I am pretty sure that every single (p)review I've seen so far, mentions how incredibly immersive and well-written the game world is.
Aganazer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 22, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 22, 2009, 04:40:23 PM

Eurogamer basically acknowledged that DA won't be an immersive virtual world at all.

This kind of statement would depend on your definition of "immersive virtual world" and I am pretty sure Eurogamer didn't say anything about Dragon Age being not immersive. In fact, I am pretty sure that every single (p)review I've seen so far, mentions how incredibly immersive and well-written the game world is.

"Immersive" is too subjective I agree. For me immersion is defined by a consistency of the game world and realism (fantasy realism? Yeah I think it exists). Things like zoning, auto-difficulty scaling, static NPC's that stand in the same place all day/night, timered respawns, and gamey convenience features all tend to work against immersion. Just my opinion though. I'm sure it means different things to different people.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 22, 2009, 07:49:24 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2009, 04:18:56 PM

Also it isn't an open world game- areas only open up after you are given direction to go there so you can't game the system by trying to visit everything early on and making them all low level.
At roughly the 8-10 hour mark you'll have access to the world map and can visit a good chunk of it.  It's not open world like Oblivion though - you "Gather your party before venturing forth", are presented with a map, click the destination, fight any random encounters, and then arrive there.
So travel between areas is pretty much like NWN2 (go to area exit, select destination on world map, then fast travel with intermediate random encounters fought on a small arena/piece of map)?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 22, 2009, 08:42:05 PM »

Ii definitely sounds better than Oblivion, but I could still see problems.  What if you open up a new area, but decide to do some side quests first before visiting it?  Then if you go to the area, find the enemies scaled too highly, you're out of things to backtrack to for leveling.  Any kind of scaling system makes me wary.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 22, 2009, 09:06:18 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on October 22, 2009, 08:42:05 PM

Ii definitely sounds better than Oblivion, but I could still see problems.  What if you open up a new area, but decide to do some side quests first before visiting it?  Then if you go to the area, find the enemies scaled too highly, you're out of things to backtrack to for leveling.  Any kind of scaling system makes me wary.
My understanding is that there will always be some "grind" opportunities available for you.  They may be meager and therefore would take quite some time to help, but they would still be there.  That, or you could just work at the game a bit more - this isn't supposed to be some hardcore-most-difficult-ever kind of game, afterall. 

However, I do agree with you that leveling doesn't engender warm fuzzy feelings in me.  On the other hand, I can somewhat understand it in this case: the blight is spreading over time.  The longer you take to get someplace, the tougher your opposition will wind up being.  If you strike at an area early on, you'll face opponents who haven't had the opportunity to bulk up and get reinforcements yet so there's a bit of tactics involved.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »

Ii definitely sounds better than Oblivion, but I could still see problems.  What if you open up a new area, but decide to do some side quests first before visiting it?  Then if you go to the area, find the enemies scaled too highly, you're out of things to backtrack to for leveling.  Any kind of scaling system makes me wary.

EDIT- Nevermind.  I misunderstood the comment. 
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 23, 2009, 01:27:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2009, 04:28:22 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 22, 2009, 04:19:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2009, 02:36:19 PM

Well, the web site is up, I don't think the actual game is.

LOL, I saw 'click to play' and figured it was for the game. 

unless they're following the Metal Gear Solid format...

BTW, now it's up smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 23, 2009, 01:30:24 AM »

The first time you visit it it remains static so doing side quest and gaining exp. should make it easier when you revisit it.  Since a large portion of the 'map' opens up early on I would guess there should be plenty of stuff to backtrack on if you find it too difficult.  80 + hours is a crap ton of sidequest.  It's the best of both worlds imo.   The fact that it scales somewhat means you do not have to necessarily do things in a set order but have some freedom to do what you want when you want whiles still having some stuff 'unlock' at set times in the game to keep you from accidentally advancing things to quickly.  Honestly,  I can't believe it hasn't been done like that before as I think it's a great blend of open wolrdness add linearity.

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 23, 2009, 01:42:30 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 23, 2009, 01:27:41 AM

BTW, now it's up smile

Playing now.  So far it is very slick for a Flash game.

Edit:  Ok I have played enough to know i want to save this for my business trip to San Francisco next week.  Good stuff.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:10:52 AM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 23, 2009, 02:22:15 AM »

Quote from: morlac on October 23, 2009, 01:30:24 AM

The first time you visit it it remains static so doing side quest and gaining exp. should make it easier when you revisit it.  Since a large portion of the 'map' opens up early on I would guess there should be plenty of stuff to backtrack on if you find it too difficult.  80 + hours is a crap ton of sidequest.  It's the best of both worlds imo.   The fact that it scales somewhat means you do not have to necessarily do things in a set order but have some freedom to do what you want when you want whiles still having some stuff 'unlock' at set times in the game to keep you from accidentally advancing things to quickly.  Honestly,  I can't believe it hasn't been done like that before as I think it's a great blend of open wolrdness add linearity.

Besides, unless you are going through the game the second time, you wouldn't even notice the scaling system, it sounds to be completely transparent. Just play the game normally, i.e. if you got into some "advanced" dungeon and found out that it has too strong enemies, don't load the previous (pre-dungeon) save, just exit the dungeon normally, go level up somewhere and come back to this dungeon. The enemies that USED TO BE too strong will be waiting for you in the "state" you left them, they won't autoscale to match your new level (like it used to be in Oblivion IIRC).

At the same time this system ensures that whenever you enter this "advanced" dungeon *for the first time*, it will always provide certain challenge, so that (if you are up for this challenge) you can try and tough it out.

IMO it's the best of both worlds. It doesn't have those static, supposedly hard quests that became too easy by the time you got there just because you completed a couple of extra side quests prior to that. At the same time you are not matched against super strong enemies all the time, allowing you to level up, come back and kick some butts.

Playing now.  So far it is very slick for a Flash game.

Yep, I am pretty impressed so far. But then again, I don't play that many Flash games.

I really dig the idea though. Having this kind of minigame 10 days before the release allows me to have some quality time, get familiar with the system (attributes, spells, etc.), learn some stuff about the game world AND gives me an item reward that can be used in the "main" game. Awesome idea.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: October 23, 2009, 07:56:52 PM »

Dragon Age: Origins went gold for PC, 360, AND PS3!   -> http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=14480

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 23, 2009, 08:17:14 PM »

Since I'm at work I supposed the naked happy dance of joy would be inappropriate, so instead I shall do the shorts down around the ankles while sitting on the toilet happy shuffle of glee instead.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 23, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

Wow... really didn't need that image in my head.  icon_eek

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 24, 2009, 01:27:37 AM »

the guys at Penny Arcade did a short mini-series for the game.  I'm thinking it will make more sense once we know more of the world, but these templars seem to be a nasty bunch.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 24, 2009, 07:23:25 PM »

a bit about the toolset.

also available in HD.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 27, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »

PC Gamer: RPG of the Decade with a 94.

ONE WEEK!!!!

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 27, 2009, 08:25:21 PM »

I asked this on QT3 and got ignored. Wardens Keep is to be downloaded the day the game is released. Anybody wondering if the servers are going to get clogged up? Or is the DLC already on the disk and we just have to unlock it? I want to fire up this puppy as soon as I get it wioth everything in place. I don't really want to spend 2-3 hrs trying to hook up to a server.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »

I'm pretty sure they said that the Day One DLC is not on the disk but I don't have a link offhand.

I'm assuming that Warden's Keep is at least a little ways into the game so I'm not worried about getting it Day One. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 04:08:35 PM

ONE WEEK!!!!

PC Gamer is also the place that called Half-Life 2 the "greatest game of all time" with a 90-something score.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2009, 08:57:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 27, 2009, 08:53:56 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 04:08:35 PM

ONE WEEK!!!!

PC Gamer is also the place that called Half-Life 2 the "greatest game of all time" with a 90-something score.

Considering HL2 is one of my favorite games of all time then that's hardly something to make me question their taste.  Their Doom 3 review on the other hand....

However this is actually the PC Gamer UK review, not the US branch.  However it is reviewed by John Walker (one of the Rock Paper Shotgun guys) so it's certainly a good sign.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 27, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »

Would 2000 be considered part of this decade?  If so then they're saying it's better than BG2.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 27, 2009, 10:37:44 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 27, 2009, 09:46:13 PM

Would 2000 be considered part of this decade?  If so then they're saying it's better than BG2.

Indeed--that is the critical question.  2000 was a key gaming year.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 27, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »

Desslock, who is reviewing it for PC Gamer US, has said that it's the best Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 27, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 27, 2009, 10:54:16 PM

Desslock, who is reviewing it for PC Gamer US, has said that it's the best Bioware game since Baldur's Gate 2.

Emphasis added. He then said (this is all on QT3 by the way) it wasn't the best RPG in the last year, but hasn't clarified that part.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 28, 2009, 12:30:10 AM »

Sure but he's a huge fan of Bioware games anyway so it's not like he meant it as a slight. 

But my point was that he wasn't saying it was better than BG2. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:11 AM »

I don't know, I loved Mass Effect and Jade Empire more than their previous games, possibly even more than KotOR, so hopefully I'm not let down.

Because I can,
Knightsabre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 01, 2009, 04:26:22 PM »

So my PC just barely - and I mean BARELY - meets the minimum requirements.  Has anyone heard anything about how it plays at the low end of the scale?  I just really want it to run smoothly from the BG2 isometric view!

Xbox gamertag - Knightsabre1
Bibbity boppity, gimmee the zoppity.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 01, 2009, 04:40:25 PM »

Quote from: Knightsabre on November 01, 2009, 04:26:22 PM

So my PC just barely - and I mean BARELY - meets the minimum requirements.  Has anyone heard anything about how it plays at the low end of the scale?  I just really want it to run smoothly from the BG2 isometric view!

I will be anxious to hear this too. I don't think I want the 360 version, but I really doubt my PC is up to this. So... I am probably looking at 2010-11 before I ever try Dragon Age.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 01, 2009, 05:27:17 PM »

Anyone have any experience with Steam pre-loading? I got the CE edition when they had the billing snafu, and it says Pre-Loading starts today, but either can't find it, or its not up yet. Any info on how the whole process works?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: November 01, 2009, 05:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 01, 2009, 05:27:17 PM

Anyone have any experience with Steam pre-loading? I got the CE edition when they had the billing snafu, and it says Pre-Loading starts today, but either can't find it, or its not up yet. Any info on how the whole process works?

generally noon pacific at best, possibly later. It should show up on their news page.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:04 PM »

I didn't much enjoy the BG games (I did buy BG1 in its day, but I guess I'm a mundane hack'n'slasher at heart). So I guess I'm going to be disappointed then?  icon_lol
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 05:47:56 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: November 01, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 01, 2009, 05:31:50 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on November 01, 2009, 05:27:17 PM

generally noon pacific at best, possibly later. It should show up on their news page.

Never mins, looks like it opened up about 20 minute ago, you may need to restart steam, then you can right click dragon age in your games list and select view pre-load info... or click the preload now button on the news page when it pops up. If it says try again later, wait a minute and try again.

I'm 1% pre-loaded, woohoo! Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 01, 2009, 08:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on November 01, 2009, 05:45:04 PM

I didn't much enjoy the BG games (I did buy BG1 in its day, but I guess I'm a mundane hack'n'slasher at heart). So I guess I'm going to be disappointed then?  icon_lol

If you are a mundane hack and slasher at heart then it may not be up your alley. From what I understand, Dragon Age (like BG2) is more focused on a deep tactical combat system, plot driven story, and dynamic character interaction. 
fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 01, 2009, 11:01:52 PM »

Have we seen a list of items included in the retail versions? I want to support Steam 1st but might have to go retail again if the book/map is like the original BG2.

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #514 on: November 02, 2009, 12:13:44 AM »

Come on...somebody big break the street date on this so I can play it early... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 02, 2009, 06:15:14 AM »

anyone been playing Journeys?  I'm about halfway through it and it's pretty decent.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: November 02, 2009, 06:43:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2009, 06:15:14 AM

anyone been playing Journeys?  I'm about halfway through it and it's pretty decent.

I meant to start it this weekend at work, but work was crazy busy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 02, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 02, 2009, 06:43:14 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2009, 06:15:14 AM

I meant to start it this weekend at work, but work was crazy busy.

ugh, just hit a part where you encounter the 'big boss fight right after finishing another fight without any chance to heal' syndrome.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #518 on: November 02, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »

Dragon Age: Origins is currently preloading on steam.

That is all. slywink

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #519 on: November 02, 2009, 12:40:03 PM »

Welcome to yesterday's topic in this thread. slywink
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: