http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:20:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 79029 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 15, 2009, 03:04:41 PM »

Ah, good.  I was hoping he would score the game.  I loved his music for Prince of Persia. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: October 15, 2009, 04:32:31 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 15, 2009, 02:38:17 PM

Quote from: StriderGG on October 15, 2009, 01:02:41 PM

Dude, it's the 15th! Where is the second part of the preview?! smile

I can't wait.

+1  Ron is slacking WTF!!!   Tongue   crybaby  2nd preview up, please!

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=36563.msg603840

biggrin

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:37 PM »

Yeah, I was stoked when they announced Inon Zur was scoring it, as he composed the soundtrack for Baldur's Gate 2 (can't remember if he did BG1 though). smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:21 PM »

Inon Zur didn't make the music for either of the Baldur's Gate games, but he did make the excellent music that was added in the Throne of Bhaal expansion. He also made the music for Fallout 3 (which sucked. Come on, you don't have to use orchestral instruments for EVERY soundtrack you make), Crysis (cool and fitting, but forgettable), and the latest Prince of Persia titles (kind of anonymous soundtrack) among other things. He's good, but he also suffers from being stuck too much in a rut, although not to the extremes of composers like Jeremy Soule who will cry uncontrollably if you take away his brass instruments.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: October 15, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »

I think they should have gone entirely with Marilyn Manson for the soundtrack.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 16, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 15, 2009, 08:44:21 PM

Inon Zur didn't make the music for either of the Baldur's Gate games, but he did make the excellent music that was added in the Throne of Bhaal expansion. He also made the music for Fallout 3 (which sucked. Come on, you don't have to use orchestral instruments for EVERY soundtrack you make), Crysis (cool and fitting, but forgettable), and the latest Prince of Persia titles (kind of anonymous soundtrack) among other things. He's good, but he also suffers from being stuck too much in a rut, although not to the extremes of composers like Jeremy Soule who will cry uncontrollably if you take away his brass instruments.

Ah, ok, I didn't realize Zur only did the Throne of Bhaal expansion. And yes, the Fallout 3 soundtrack is entirely forgettable.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 18, 2009, 06:40:35 PM »

there's going to be a browser based prequel, a 2D tactical RPG called Dragon Age Journeys.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 19, 2009, 11:15:45 AM »

That looks pretty good actually.

morlac00 on PSN
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: October 19, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »

So, anyone got a short synopsis of what the point is in this game?  Are we eventually supposed to save the land from some Dragon or evil whoever?  Or is it more just a character-building rpg where the crux is to roam around and adventure here and there and build a badass character? 

Just hoping it is not another World of Warcraft type of thing.  Oh, and I did not play through Baldur's Gate. Got bored about an hour in.

The videos I watched had some nice character interaction with npc's, but that is about all I could tell from them.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 19, 2009, 01:20:58 PM »

While I don't know what the overall plot or goal is, it will be a very plot driven RPG like previous Bioware RPGs (Mass Effect, BG 1&2, KOTOR, Jade Empire).  However I believe there is a large emphasis on sidequests and IIRC you didn't care for those much in Mass Effect so I"m not sure if the game would really be for you. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: October 19, 2009, 02:01:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2009, 06:40:35 PM

I like this idea, but those screenshots look like ass.

Off-topic:  Speaking of browser-based strategy games, whatever happened to the HOMM browser game that was supposed to hit over the summer?   Seems like that one dissappeared.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #451 on: October 19, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 19, 2009, 02:01:57 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2009, 06:40:35 PM

I like this idea, but those screenshots look like ass.

For a flash game I'd say they look pretty good.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 19, 2009, 02:41:59 PM »

I need to pick up the second Dragon Age novel that just came out.  The first one wasn't terrible (like, say, the Mary Sue-laden Mass Effect books), and since I just finished the last book I was reading, I should have time to wrap it up before the game comes out....

-Autistic Angel
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 19, 2009, 05:09:10 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 19, 2009, 12:27:59 PM

So, anyone got a short synopsis of what the point is in this game?  Are we eventually supposed to save the land from some Dragon or evil whoever?  Or is it more just a character-building rpg where the crux is to roam around and adventure here and there and build a badass character? 

Just hoping it is not another World of Warcraft type of thing.  Oh, and I did not play through Baldur's Gate. Got bored about an hour in.

The videos I watched had some nice character interaction with npc's, but that is about all I could tell from them.

There is a Dark swarm overtaking the land and you join up with the grey wardens and try to defeat it. I think that is pretty much all that is known so far. Which is great because I don't want to know spoilers anyway. Did you just play BG1 or was it BG2 that bored you. BG1 was kinda vanilla but Bioware rpg's are pretty similar in play and if you didn't care for those you probably wouldn't be crazy about Dragon Age either.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: October 19, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »

And two reviews have popped up already. I can't confirm them, but I wouldn't be surprised if these were true:

PC Gamer UK review 94%:

"A truly astonishing game. Vast, vivid and microscopically detailed. Dragon Age is the RPG of the decade"

"'But coming out the other end of an epic 80 hours first playthrough, I leave with memories that feel like more than simple events in a game.'"

"The main negative they mention is the difficulty levels. The reviewer says he had to play through some parts on easy and even then there were some incredibly tough battles."

PC Gamer France review 95%:

Rough translation: "Old-school gameplay with a fast rhythm and a foregrounding of the story, this title mixes together the best of what BioWare has done in the last few years. The intensity of a Baldur's Gate and the depth of a good book series, what more could you ask for?"

The November issue of PC Gamer Sweden will feature a 13-page* Dragon Age review. Rumoured it's got the highest rating on a game that they have given a game on 4 years.

The reviewer summarizes his review with: "Epic roleplaying game with unsurpassed feeling."

Please be this good...please be this good...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: October 19, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »

"The main negative they mention is the difficulty levels. The reviewer says he had to play through some parts on easy and even then there were some incredibly tough battles."
Wuss.  slywink

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2009, 06:12:15 PM »

I understand that if you sign up for bioware's social site, you can get a free in-game item.  I signed up, but can't for the life of me figure out how to claim my item.

Can anyone help?

And if this game really is the spiritual succesor to the BG series... oh god!!!

"Goonies never say die"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: October 19, 2009, 06:13:18 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 19, 2009, 06:12:15 PM

I understand that if you sign up for bioware's social site, you can get a free in-game item.  I signed up, but can't for the life of me figure out how to claim my item.

Can anyone help?

I thought you had to create a character and upload it to their social site in order to get it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 19, 2009, 06:25:37 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 19, 2009, 06:13:18 PM

I understand that if you sign up for bioware's social site, you can get a free in-game item.  I signed up, but can't for the life of me figure out how to claim my item.

Can anyone help?

I thought you had to create a character and upload it to their social site in order to get it.

Ahhh, ok.  I haven't tried the char creator yet.

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 19, 2009, 07:41:13 PM »

Can anyone help?

And if this game really is the spiritual succesor to the BG series... oh god!!!

When you're in game type /claim  icon_twisted

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #460 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

While I don't know what the overall plot or goal is, it will be a very plot driven RPG like previous Bioware RPGs (Mass Effect, BG 1&2, KOTOR, Jade Empire).  However I believe there is a large emphasis on sidequests and IIRC you didn't care for those much in Mass Effect so I"m not sure if the game would really be for you. 

You remembered correctly.  I typically only like the main story line as I just don't play that much anymore, so, no time for 80 hours of rpg'n.  I can see the quality in it though.  Might wait for a good walkthrough that shows you how to get to the heart of the matter and then pick it up and run through.  I love me fantasy themes though.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #461 on: October 19, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »

Long ago the Dark Spawn were created, a blight of demon kind on the world.  It was created by a mages, or a mage, can't remember exactly, but magic basically caused it.  This is why people don't trust magic users, and all those who can use it are taken away to be trained to control it, or killed if they cannot.

The dark spawn seem to return periodically to the world, and often require a LOTR style army made up of many nations to stop them.  The Gray wardens, as far as we know, link themselves to the Dark Spawn's blight that allows them to feel when another blight is nearing.  Not sure what other abilities it gives them.  But that act makes gray wardens feared as much as revered, especially with everyone's hatred to magic.  I guess they're a bit like Witchers.

The game seems to open on the eve of a new dark spawn attack, but the defense against it is thwarted by treachery and politics.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 20, 2009, 12:40:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 19, 2009, 11:23:53 PM

But that act makes gray wardens feared as much as revered, especially with everyone's hatred to magic.  I guess they're a bit like Witchers.

Yes, but Witchers are sterile and can't carry STDs, which makes them popular with the ladies.  Now if they include that in DA:O . . .   icon_wink

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:13 AM »

first review

http://gameinformer.com/games/dragon_age_origins/b/pc/archive/2009/10/05/review.aspx
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: October 21, 2009, 01:50:05 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on October 19, 2009, 10:03:38 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 19, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

You remembered correctly.  I typically only like the main story line as I just don't play that much anymore, so, no time for 80 hours of rpg'n.  I can see the quality in it though.  Might wait for a good walkthrough that shows you how to get to the heart of the matter and then pick it up and run through.  I love me fantasy themes though.

FWIW, a reviewer on Quarter to Three has just stated that most of the sidequests are actually tied to the main plot so that it doesn't feel like you are delaying the main quest to save the world so you can go help a farmer get his cat out of the tree. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: October 21, 2009, 04:19:14 AM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 21, 2009, 01:42:13 AM

That wasn't exactly an in-depth review... in fact that was a pretty horrible and super short review.

I'm gonna have to hear more from other sources before deciding.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 21, 2009, 04:27:29 AM »

Quote from: vizionblind on October 21, 2009, 01:42:13 AM

old review.  we've even already made fun of the idiots giving the game user ratings icon_twisted

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 21, 2009, 02:40:14 PM »

here's the Eurogamer hands on to go along with GT's.  2 weeks!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 02:41:49 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »

I have heard on QT3 that the Eurogamer review has some spoilers in it. Just a friendly warning.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 22, 2009, 02:36:19 PM »

Journeys is live.

Because I can,
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 22, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »

I read somewhere that DA has some form of level scaling for enemies.  Ugh, please no.  Anyone got info on that?

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 22, 2009, 03:54:17 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on October 22, 2009, 03:48:31 PM

I read somewhere that DA has some form of level scaling for enemies.  Ugh, please no.  Anyone got info on that?

From what I've read each area has a basic template- if it's supposed to be a hard area then enemies will be a couple of levels above you, normal they will be your level, etc.  However once you have unlocked an area it stays static.  So if you get into an area that is too difficult you can still go off and level up and make that area easier.  Or revisisting an early area you will still find the same enemies that used to be there and at the same power level they always were.  However there are certain predetermined encounters that don't scale (dragons are supposed to one I believe). 

Also it isn't an open world game- areas only open up after you are given direction to go there so you can't game the system by trying to visit everything early on and making them all low level. 

So if your worry is that it's like Oblivion, then it sounds like it's not.  Seems quite reasonable to me. 
Aganazer

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 22, 2009, 03:55:41 PM »

At your service:
http://www.dragonagecentral.com/single/1255926780

They try to pretty is up, but translated from marketting-speech the answer is clearly "yes". Eurogamer basically acknowledged that DA won't be an immersive virtual world at all. I was wary already, but this pushes me over the edge. I'll wait to borrow a copy from a friend instead of dropping $50 on it. I don't mean to dissuade anyone else. Its looking like its just not my kind of RPG despite the awesome production quality.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »

I can't recall from the earlier conversation but did you enjoy the previous Bioware RPGs?  They have never really been in the virtual world business so I can't say that I'm surprised they aren't doing it in Dragon Age. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2009, 04:08:28 PM »

yeah, I don't remember a lot of going back to older places to do stuff in any of their other games.  also, the description in the linked posts does not sound like the scaling in other games, like it is in Oblivion.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 22, 2009, 03:54:17 PM

I read somewhere that DA has some form of level scaling for enemies.  Ugh, please no.  Anyone got info on that?

From what I've read each area has a basic template- if it's supposed to be a hard area then enemies will be a couple of levels above you, normal they will be your level, etc.  However once you have unlocked an area it stays static.  So if you get into an area that is too difficult you can still go off and level up and make that area easier.  Or revisisting an early area you will still find the same enemies that used to be there and at the same power level they always were.  However there are certain predetermined encounters that don't scale (dragons are supposed to one I believe).  

Also it isn't an open world game- areas only open up after you are given direction to go there so you can't game the system by trying to visit everything early on and making them all low level.  

So if your worry is that it's like Oblivion, then it sounds like it's not.  Seems quite reasonable to me.  

That is the most well thought way of scaling enemies I have ever seen/heard.  And a great example of how well thought out this game appears to be.  I have no doubt this game will be fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:18:21 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2009, 04:18:56 PM »

At roughly the 8-10 hour mark you'll have access to the world map and can visit a good chunk of it.  It's not open world like Oblivion though - you "Gather your party before venturing forth", are presented with a map, click the destination, fight any random encounters, and then arrive there.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 22, 2009, 04:19:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2009, 02:36:19 PM

Well, the web site is up, I don't think the actual game is.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 22, 2009, 04:28:22 PM »

Quote from: StriderGG on October 22, 2009, 04:19:25 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2009, 02:36:19 PM

Well, the web site is up, I don't think the actual game is.

LOL, I saw 'click to play' and figured it was for the game. 

unless they're following the Metal Gear Solid format...

Because I can,
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 22, 2009, 04:34:36 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 22, 2009, 04:18:56 PM

At roughly the 8-10 hour mark you'll have access to the world map and can visit a good chunk of it.  It's not open world like Oblivion though - you "Gather your party before venturing forth", are presented with a map, click the destination, fight any random encounters, and then arrive there.

Yes, but it's still story-driven. It's not like, once you have access to the world map, you can go to the end-game dude, visit his lair and lock it at your current level. You'll get access to that area when you are supposed to in the story, you can't completely ignore the main quest and go explore everything on the entire continent. Hence the "it isn't an open world game" comment. At the same time, it's not 100% linear, which is great.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: