http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 05:00:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 79691 times)
ScubaV
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2009, 04:08:31 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 03, 2009, 01:34:31 AM

but all the atmospherics (story, dialogue, voice acting, visuals, setting, characters) seem rather questionable.
What about them?  I'll try to address them in my writeup if I can.

I'm largely going off the various trailers they've released so far with a little supplemental preview info.  The visuals look really old and the animations look crap.  Does the art direction include anything but browns and grays (plus copious red blood)?  It's not a huge deal, but it's obvious the game has been in the oven for a really, really long time.  Worse is that the voice acting sounds lifeless and doesn't match the tone you would expect from the dialogue and context.  The dialogue itself reads like a fill-in-the-blank Generic Fantasy Cliches Book.  As for the story, characters, and setting, Bioware's message is "dark, gritty, and mature", but my impression is that they apply that message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and without understanding what mature really is (i.e not sex and gore for the sake of sex and gore).

Being a AAA game studio with lots of history and the resources of EA behind it, it's reasonable to have high expectations for Bioware.  And yet, I get the feeling that its product is going to be outclassed by those of smaller, upstart European devs.  The Euros may lack polish and have some lost in translation issues, but I think they more than make up for it with charm, passion, and being different in an interesting way.  By contrast I feel Bioware's recent products (and hence my concern for Dragon Age) are sterile, by-the-numbers, safe bets.  DA isn't a licensed product, but I don't sense that Bioware is really taking advantage of that freedom in a meaningful way.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 03, 2009, 07:43:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 03, 2009, 01:48:53 AM

Quote from: ScubaV on October 03, 2009, 01:03:31 AM

Anyway, aren't Risen and Drakensang its only competition on the PC this year?  I can't think of any other RPGs that came out.

it has indeed been a light year for RPG's, it's sad that Arcania, Two World 2 and possibly Alpha Protocol have all been pushed to next year.  the only one you didn't list )other than MMO's) that I can think of is Storm of Zehir.

Zehir came out last year.  The only NWN2 expansion in 2009 was Mysteries of Westgate.

I'm not worried about Dragon Ages graphics, even though the early reviews are saying they are nothing special.  I don't expect that from an RPG.  As long as they are good by the standards of their release, that should be good enough.  My only concern from the trailers is the rather blank look on the PC's face when they cut to it during conversations.  I'm also convinced that it is probably going to be pretty good game and that the marketing has been horribly misleading, in part because of comments from KD and Desslock, people who've actually played the game.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »

Part of the reasons why the graphics aren't as fine tuned as say, the new Witcher game is that they began development of this game a long time ago, and the game is way more open and less linear.  The game has also been built with modding in mind, similar to NWN but requiring more effort since it's not a tile based game like the NWN games were.  Because of this, the graphics, namely the lighting, has to be able to handle any scene.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 03, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

Knightshade those are very promising words. Even if I wind up not thinking it's the best RPG ever It still sounds like a way better than average game. It is interesting that people who have just seen the trailors and promo stuff are doubtful but anyone who has gotten to play it for a decent amout of time come away quite impressed.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #324 on: October 03, 2009, 10:03:21 PM »

marketing has been horribly misleading
This couldn't be more true.  I don't know what's with those trailers, but they are not good representations of the game by any stretch.  The voice acting without context seems so forced in those trailers, but in context it is quite good. 

I'm largely going off the various trailers they've released so far with a little supplemental preview info.  The visuals look really old and the animations look crap.  Does the art direction include anything but browns and grays (plus copious red blood)?  It's not a huge deal, but it's obvious the game has been in the oven for a really, really long time.  Worse is that the voice acting sounds lifeless and doesn't match the tone you would expect from the dialogue and context.  The dialogue itself reads like a fill-in-the-blank Generic Fantasy Cliches Book.  As for the story, characters, and setting, Bioware's message is "dark, gritty, and mature", but my impression is that they apply that message with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer and without understanding what mature really is (i.e not sex and gore for the sake of sex and gore).
Yea, I'm not sure what's with all of the blood.  The carnage in this game is pretty copious but it's very much accented in the trailers for some reason.  Again, without context it seems like "Look!  We have an M!  M is for murder! Yaaay!"   The art direction opens up quite a bit depending on location.  I spent a ton of time in a large book-riddled tower that was bright and filled with high arches and plenty of color. Again, kinda confused on why they keep showing the same stuff in trailers.  *shrug*   The nice part is that you'll get ~12 different previews on or about the 15th so you'll see their perspective based on the same 10-12 hours of gameplay (albeit in different origin stories). 

Being a AAA game studio with lots of history and the resources of EA behind it, it's reasonable to have high expectations for Bioware.  And yet, I get the feeling that its product is going to be outclassed by those of smaller, upstart European devs.  The Euros may lack polish and have some lost in translation issues, but I think they more than make up for it with charm, passion, and being different in an interesting way.  By contrast I feel Bioware's recent products (and hence my concern for Dragon Age) are sterile, by-the-numbers, safe bets.  DA isn't a licensed product, but I don't sense that Bioware is really taking advantage of that freedom in a meaningful way.
I actually talk a little bit about how long this has been in development (longer than most realize I think) in my interview with the guys at Bioware.  Again, I can't stress enough how much depth and consequence the decisions in the game really have.  Stuff that you decide on very early can have a great deal of impact a dozen hours later. 

I came away more impressed with Dragon Age than I expected.  After watching those same trailers I really expected that the game would be just plain lame, but when in context, I'm literally blown away.  There are a few nuggets of info that I was also completely unaware - I'll toss this out as a nibble:

Did you know you can pull the camera out enough to play the game like Baldur's Gate or NWN?  Yea....you can. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 03, 2009, 10:17:22 PM »

Very promising preview. I mean, when everyone thinks about it, this is Bioware
getting back to Baldurs Gate style campaign so how could the game fail?

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: October 03, 2009, 11:21:24 PM »

It can fail in the same way a lot of other classic RPGs failed.  Interplay died as much from poor sales as bad management.  Hence why they're going with an "EXTREEEEEME!!!1!!" marketing style to nab the Halo generation, while full well knowing that any true RPG fan is already going to buy this game.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 03, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »

I would say that bad management was the cause of bad games though slywink. Interplay started out great but lost it at some point.

Bioware is far from badly managed, it seems to be one of the most tightly run operations in the gaming industry.

My main point though, was that Bioware has gone back to where they started, with a focused single player campaign, at least for fantasy based Worlds.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17:04 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 03, 2009, 10:03:21 PM

Did you know you can pull the camera out enough to play the game like Baldur's Gate or NWN?  Yea....you can.

you must have played your preview on a PC then.  that has been mentioned a few places, but it's my understanding that you won't be able to pull the view out that far on the console versions.  that alone may cause me to hold out on DA until i can afford to upgrade my pc...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 04, 2009, 09:08:01 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 03, 2009, 11:21:24 PM

It can fail in the same way a lot of other classic RPGs failed.  Interplay died as much from poor sales as bad management. 

If Interplay had been an RPG only company that argument might make more sense.  However, Interplay was trying to become the next EA and it didn't work out.  Because their CEO (Brian Fargo) had helped found the company originally as an RPG developer, he let the RPG division do its own thing for years (with varying results), and that's how Black Isle's reputation came about.  Ultimately, however, as Interplay failed it took Black Isle down with it, forcing Black Isle to do thing it probably wouldn't have otherwise chosen to do (like make Icewind Dale 2, for example.)  Of course, Black Isle made their own mistakes, but that ultimately probably had little to do with Interplays overall success or failure.

Compare that to Bioware, which is basically just an RPG developer.  Now that they are part of EA, it should be no surprise that some things have changed.  And it doesn't help that EA has its own problems now and can't afford to let Bioware produce "boutique" PC titles.  And that's exactly what Dragon Age almost certainly would have been had it been allowed to remain a PC only property.

- American Dad
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 04, 2009, 09:20:27 AM »

Companies come and go(short of government bailouts). This is actually something good, it keeps
the industry from getting stale and repetetive. More game proudcers should go bust now and then slywink.

Interplay gave us many years of entertainment and they have nothing to be ashamed of.
Bioware however, still has some mileage left.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 04, 2009, 12:17:23 PM »

Argh.  This is the first time, I've ever been totally torn as to which platform to buy this on.  I'm leaning towards 360, just because I love couch gaming... but I have a new PC that will make it look pretty.

Any comparison charts out there comparing the two versions?

"Goonies never say die"
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 04, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »

That sounds encouraging KD.  I may have to try to purchase Dragon Age used.  That way I can punish Bioware/EA for their marketing, but still enjoy the game without pirating.  I wouldn't want them to get the idea that the marketing was successful and that they should make games that are more like what they showed in the trailers.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 04, 2009, 03:10:41 PM »

So, does the game play kind of like Dungeon Siege, since you don't control the characters directly? I really liked the story etc. of the Witcher, but the combat just wasn't my style. I'm also in the camp that hated all the marketing etc for this one, but a couple of those recent videos and the conversation here are making me reconsider...like I need something else I can't play in front of the kids....I still haven't opened Fallout 3.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 04, 2009, 04:04:03 PM »

I did not care for the Dungeon Siege games so I hope its not like them. I was thinking iit would be like Baldur's Gate. Also the marketing is not bothering me at all...other than that annoying "join us"  all the time. I plan to get The Witcher EE soon as the funds materialize.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #335 on: October 05, 2009, 02:37:42 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 04, 2009, 01:17:04 AM

Did you know you can pull the camera out enough to play the game like Baldur's Gate or NWN?  Yea....you can.

you must have played your preview on a PC then.  that has been mentioned a few places, but it's my understanding that you won't be able to pull the view out that far on the console versions.  that alone may cause me to hold out on DA until i can afford to upgrade my pc...

Come to think of it, I didn't try it on the 360/PS3 versions.  I'll inquire.

As far as hardware, the game was running on a quad core 2.6 or 2.8 (I'll have to look at my notes) running on an 8800 GT with everything maxed at 1900x1600.  Might not need to upgrade as much as you might think...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #336 on: October 05, 2009, 02:38:58 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on October 04, 2009, 03:10:41 PM

So, does the game play kind of like Dungeon Siege, since you don't control the characters directly? I really liked the story etc. of the Witcher, but the combat just wasn't my style. I'm also in the camp that hated all the marketing etc for this one, but a couple of those recent videos and the conversation here are making me reconsider...like I need something else I can't play in front of the kids....I still haven't opened Fallout 3.

You can control all of the characters individually.  I was using WASD and the mouselook to control my character. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 05, 2009, 02:47:48 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 05, 2009, 02:37:42 AM

Quote from: disarm on October 04, 2009, 01:17:04 AM

Come to think of it, I didn't try it on the 360/PS3 versions.  I'll inquire.

Disarm is right about the lack of the BG style view in the console versions from what's been said by the devs on the official forums.  I don't know if it was a technical issue, something they didn't have time to implement, or if they simply decided console gamers would prefer a style closer to what Mass Effect offered.

- American Dad
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 05, 2009, 03:36:22 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 05, 2009, 02:37:42 AM

As far as hardware, the game was running on a quad core 2.6 or 2.8 (I'll have to look at my notes) running on an 8800 GT with everything maxed at 1900x1600.  Might not need to upgrade as much as you might think...

heh...you overestimate my current desktop.  thanks to my 360 and PS3 taking up all my gaming time over the last three years, my current rig hasn't received any updates other than a new PSU and bigger hard drive since i bought it almost six years ago.  i have feeling that my 3.0gHz P4 and Radeon 9800 Pro that were so awesome for playing hours of UT2K4 back in the day just won't cut it this time around...

that said, i've had my eyes on a new rig for a while, and the timing is right with the upcoming release of Windows 7...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 05, 2009, 10:26:37 AM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 04, 2009, 12:17:23 PM

Argh.  This is the first time, I've ever been totally torn as to which platform to buy this on.  I'm leaning towards 360, just because I love couch gaming... but I have a new PC that will make it look pretty.

I've been buying more and more of my games on the console (less hassle, playing on the couch, and prefer console controller for action games), but I'm planning to get this one on the PC.  For me the main difference is that the PC version allows me to pull out to full zoom and give commands to my party members.  Since as mentioned by Disarm and Sarkus the console version does not allow you to pull out to a 3/4 aka isometric viewpoint, I'm definitely going to go PC for this one.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:33:38 AM by ydejin » Logged
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 05, 2009, 03:12:03 PM »

I've decided on PC.  Wonder if it will make it's way to STEAM?

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 05, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 05, 2009, 03:12:03 PM

haven't seen any mention of it there yet but Impulse has it listed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
storz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 05, 2009, 03:41:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 05, 2009, 03:24:58 PM

And if you have finished one of the Impulse survery, you get 20% off coupon code, which can bring the pre-ordering price for Dragon Age to $40.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 05, 2009, 04:17:45 PM »

Orson Scott Card to write DA comic book

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:48 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 04, 2009, 12:17:23 PM

Argh.  This is the first time, I've ever been totally torn as to which platform to buy this on.  I'm leaning towards 360, just because I love couch gaming... but I have a new PC that will make it look pretty.

Pc: Mods and better view options

Console: couching

morlac00 on PSN
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 05, 2009, 06:22:05 PM »

Quote from: storz on October 05, 2009, 03:41:50 PM

And if you have finished one of the Impulse survery, you get 20% off coupon code, which can bring the pre-ordering price for Dragon Age to $40.

Oooh.  Details?

"Goonies never say die"
storz
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 05, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on October 05, 2009, 06:22:05 PM

Quote from: storz on October 05, 2009, 03:41:50 PM

Oooh.  Details?

There is a Stardock Customer Survey 2009 send via email (I think you get it if you ever used impulse to buy stuff), once you complete it, it gives you a coupon code for 20% off purchases over $8.00. and it expires on November 1, 2009 I think.  Perfect timing for pre-ordering Dragon Age.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 05, 2009, 06:51:42 PM »

Found it, the code isn't unique.

SURVEY-2009

Too bad they don't let you pay with Paypal using coupons.

"Goonies never say die"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: October 06, 2009, 01:55:12 AM »

GameInformer (yes, Gamestop's magazine) has reviewed the PC version of the game. Bastards for playing the game already.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 06, 2009, 02:30:32 AM »

Too bad EA doesn't allow people from outside US/Canada to buy Dragon Age from Impulse or D2D. Sometime I wonder if they try their best to push people to pirate their games.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 06, 2009, 09:53:05 AM »

Wow, I've been purposely ignoring most previews for this game largely due to the fact that the few videos I saw were stupid.  After reading that review, this sounds like BG3!  I spent over 300 hours in the Infinity engine games, so I'm pre-ordering this NOW!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 12:11:30 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 06, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »

Probably because they have other Digital Distributors they don't want to anger.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:21 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2009, 01:55:12 AM

GameInformer (yes, Gamestop's magazine) has reviewed the PC version of the game. Bastards for playing the game already.

you'd think they'd not let anyone put in Readers Ratings until it's released.....

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2009, 02:14:21 PM

Quote from: Destructor on October 06, 2009, 01:55:12 AM

you'd think they'd not let anyone put in Readers Ratings until it's released.....

No kidding. Idiots.

Quote from: El-Producto on October 06, 2009, 09:53:05 AM

Wow, I've been purposely ignoring most previews for this game largely due to the fact that the few videos I saw were stupid.  After reading that review, this sounds like BG3!  I spent over 300 hours in the Infinity engine games, so I'm pre-ordering this NOW!

Yeah, I'm getting the impression that the early ads/trailers/etc are aimed at the lowest denominator - to get people who wouldn't buy this game based on past history alone as far as the dev goes to buy it.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 06, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »

When is the GT preview expected? Those are the opinions I care most about.
Especially if we get a comparison with 360.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: October 06, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 06, 2009, 02:55:37 PM

I can't post any more than I have until the 8th.  Then you'll get my in-depth on the editor and my interview with Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk.  On the 15th I can post my 10.5 hour hands-on preview.   smile   Thems the embargos folks!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 06, 2009, 03:08:16 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2009, 03:05:59 PM

I can't post any more than I have until the 8th.  Then you'll get my in-depth on the editor and my interview with Dr. Ray Muzyka and Dr. Greg Zeschuk.  On the 15th I can post my 10.5 hour hands-on preview.   smile   Thems the embargos folks!

at least the 15th is only 9 days away.

9 24 hour long days.

216 hours....

12960 minutes,,,,,

777600 seconds.....

crybaby

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #357 on: October 06, 2009, 03:23:09 PM »

In the mean time, here is a video that doesn't scream "OMG!! LOOK!!  BLOOD!! CHIX!!!"

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=14398

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 06, 2009, 03:25:17 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2009, 03:05:59 PM

Why do you get harder embargoes than the Gamestop mag?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 06, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 06, 2009, 03:23:09 PM

In the mean time, here is a video that doesn't scream "OMG!! LOOK!!  BLOOD!! CHIX!!!"

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=14398

no blood or chix or new shit?

OUT!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: