http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:23:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 79180 times)
Fellow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 30, 2009, 04:34:55 PM »

If I didn't already know what the gameplay was going to be like, I would really be scratching my head and wondering it from the last two trailers. I do know they're definitely not marketed towards the demographic I belong to, that's for sure.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 30, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on May 30, 2009, 04:34:55 PM

If I didn't already know what the gameplay was going to be like, I would really be scratching my head and wondering it from the last two trailers. I do know they're definitely not marketed towards the demographic I belong to, that's for sure.

well, unless they changed the gameplay, it looks like combat will be similiar to Baldurs Gate/Neverwinter Nights.  I wonder what the ad campaign would be like if they had not been bought by EA.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 30, 2009, 05:17:50 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on May 30, 2009, 04:06:33 PM

That's the same song in the violence trailer, aka Marilyn Manson, aka New Shit But Still Shit.  You know I'm really starting to get annoyed with this game.  It feels like a giant betrayal.  Bioware comes off the awesome Baldur's Gate series and then pumps out a ton of games that are mostly good and fun, but have such terribly cliched PG13 storylines with black and white morality.  Then they talk about a new IP and make all these promises about being new and different, blurring the lines and they promise it will be PC-exclusive.  Then we find out it's being ported to consoles.  Then we find out the PC version has to be delayed because the console version isn't ready yet and they want a simultaneous release.  Then we see trailers like the violence trailer that scream "HEY 14 YEAR OLD CONSOLE FANBOY, CHECK THIS OUT I THINK YOU'LL LOVE IT!".  And I wonder to myself, is a game that's trying to attract 14 year old console fanboys and that they just might love it, is that a game I'm going to enjoy?  Then I look back at all the broken promises and I just have to shake my head.  Wait and see indeed.

From what I can tell, the actual gameplay hasn't changed at all.  It still looks much like the "Baldur's Gate 2009" that we were all hoping for.  The only thing that has changed is the marketing approach, and - let's be honest here - did anyone think EA wouldn't market it that way?  Can't we wait and actually, you know, play the game before we start ripping on Bioware for "broken promises"?

I may be in the minority here, but have no problem with it being ported to consoles either.  I played KotOR, Mass Effect, and Jade Empire on XBox and loved every minute of them.  In fact, I'm rather glad they ported it over, since there's no way I would have been able to play it otherwise (my aging PC likely won't handle it and I have no $$ for an upgrade right now).  Really looking forward to Dragon Age, even if they use crappy Marilyn Manson music in their CGI trailers.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 30, 2009, 06:33:32 PM »

I'm not dismissing the game outright.  I'll still buy the game if it holds up well under review, hence my wait and see comment.  Still, I can't help but feel frustrated and annoyed at the whole thing.  They did break promises, namely related to platform issues.  It goes from an attitude of PC-only, to PC-first, to equal treatment, to (what these recent trailers, correctly or not, imply) console-first.  This kind of falls back to the old PC vs. console debate (you got your peanut butter in my chocolate blah blah blah), but I don't want my PC game tainted by making it suitable for consoles.  Sure, there are multi-platform games that have worked out fine, but also tons that haven't.  There's a not insignificant risk in ruining the overall experience of a game by making it multi-platform because PC's and consoles have different audiences, different controls, and different expectations.  Not every console player is the raving 14 year old, but enough are that it shapes many of the games made for consoles in a way I don't like.  This probably wouldn't be such an issue if Bioware stated from the start that this would be a multi-platform game because then my expectations would be appropriately adjusted.  But, the way they've slowly moved from PC's to consoles with Dragon Age leads to my feelings of betrayal (which isn't much considering it's still a videogame) and my apprehension regarding the final product.

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 30, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on May 30, 2009, 06:33:32 PM

I'm not dismissing the game outright.  I'll still buy the game if it holds up well under review, hence my wait and see comment.  Still, I can't help but feel frustrated and annoyed at the whole thing.  They did break promises, namely related to platform issues.  It goes from an attitude of PC-only, to PC-first, to equal treatment, to (what these recent trailers, correctly or not, imply) console-first.  This kind of falls back to the old PC vs. console debate (you got your peanut butter in my chocolate blah blah blah), but I don't want my PC game tainted by making it suitable for consoles.  Sure, there are multi-platform games that have worked out fine, but also tons that haven't.  There's a not insignificant risk in ruining the overall experience of a game by making it multi-platform because PC's and consoles have different audiences, different controls, and different expectations.  Not every console player is the raving 14 year old, but enough are that it shapes many of the games made for consoles in a way I don't like.  This probably wouldn't be such an issue if Bioware stated from the start that this would be a multi-platform game because then my expectations would be appropriately adjusted.  But, the way they've slowly moved from PC's to consoles with Dragon Age leads to my feelings of betrayal (which isn't much considering it's still a videogame) and my apprehension regarding the final product.

Unless you think they were lying for a long time, I don't think we have to worry about this particular PC game being "tainted" in any way by the console conversion.  Most indicators are that the console decision was made late in the process, hence the PC delay in release from "Spring" to "Fall."  Now, if the game does well enough to justify a sequel, then you might see some sort of impact, particularly if the console versions sell significantly more then the PC version.

My biggest problem with the recent marketing is that it isn't working.  Look at the console section here at GT: there isn't even a Dragon Age thread.  So far this isn't doing anything but annoying the PC gamers.  Comments by devs over at the official boards suggest that they think they've got the PC crowd already, but from what I've seen on various boards that isn't the case at all, for a variety of reasons.  And one of those reasons is the reaction to recent marketing.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:54:34 PM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2009, 07:18:50 PM »

I am happy about the console port, as now I will have an option besides it running like crap on my 3 year old PC. I do think the recent trailers are horrid and if anything off putting.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2009, 07:23:51 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on May 30, 2009, 06:52:03 PM

Look at the console section here at GT: there isn't even a Dragon Age thread. 

yes there is  ninja

from 2004......

icon_mrgreen

Because I can,
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2009, 09:08:48 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 30, 2009, 07:18:50 PM

I am happy about the console port, as now I will have an option besides it running like crap on my 3 year old PC.

On this topic, why aren't there system requirements for this game? If the game was done on the PC in Spring, which seems to be the common belief of fans and press alike, why can't they reveal the system requirements? What are they waiting for? How much more optimization can they be doing for the pc version if it was ready for release in Spring?

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »

isnt more and more people getting tired of constantly spending a LOT of money on upgrading their pc's? It just seems easier to buy a console, that will last for 5 years, and is alot cheaper, and play the games there?

My bet is, that mouse and keybaord will play a larger role in the next console generation, allowing more traditional pc games like Baldurs gate and dragon age to be ported easier to the consoles.

As for the game itself, I'm sure it will be everything Bioware has promised - they havent failed me yet with their RPGS , and this looks quite good, marketing aside

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2009, 09:58:44 PM »

Quote from: JCC on May 30, 2009, 09:08:48 PM

Quote from: JCC on May 30, 2009, 07:18:50 PM

I am happy about the console port, as now I will have an option besides it running like crap on my 3 year old PC.

On this topic, why aren't there system requirements for this game? If the game was done on the PC in Spring, which seems to be the common belief of fans and press alike, why can't they reveal the system requirements? What are they waiting for? How much more optimization can they be doing for the pc version if it was ready for release in Spring?

There is  now way it was done.  I know that's what EA said but I don't believe for a second that the PC version is sitting at Bioware in it's gold master ready state.  Considering how unoptimized Bioware's PC stuff tends to be, I think Dragon Age PC will benefit quite a bit from the six month delay. 
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2009, 10:25:35 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 30, 2009, 09:35:13 PM

isnt more and more people getting tired of constantly spending a LOT of money on upgrading their pc's? It just seems easier to buy a console, that will last for 5 years, and is alot cheaper, and play the games there?

My bet is, that mouse and keybaord will play a larger role in the next console generation, allowing more traditional pc games like Baldurs gate and dragon age to be ported easier to the consoles.

As for the game itself, I'm sure it will be everything Bioware has promised - they havent failed me yet with their RPGS , and this looks quite good, marketing aside

This I agree on, here where I live we pay BIG time for all things electonic and I have basicaly come to the point where I may do one more upgrade and that is it I am done wasting money on the merry-go-round and if they have come up with a decent controller setup for whatever console is the rage then that is where I'll head cause this money thing is a PIA.

The one thing I would love to see and the main reason I stay PC is the mod scene, Oblivion, FO3, RFactor, flightsims all of those I spend ages mucking around modding them to death .. in fact I think sometimes I enjoy modding them up and getting the mods to work more than actually playing them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »

heh, more of EA's NSFW sex and violence will sell this game marketing campaign.  I can't wait to see what they do with Mass Effect 2's marketing campaign- they'll probably have Shepard bathing in blood with Spybreak playing in the background.

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 02, 2009, 02:49:15 PM

heh, more of EA's NSFW sex and violence will sell this game marketing campaign.  I can't wait to see what they do with Mass Effect 2's marketing campaign- they'll probably have Shepard bathing in blood with Spybreak playing in the background.

ARE YOU MOTHERFUCKERS READY??!!!?   mad mad mad
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2009, 03:25:33 PM »

Baron Harkonnen is getting even uglier.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 03, 2009, 12:25:46 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on June 02, 2009, 03:25:33 PM

Baron Harkonnen is getting even uglier.

what's worse is his special attacks come out of his nipples  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: June 03, 2009, 01:54:11 AM »

Quote from: kathode on June 02, 2009, 03:06:09 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on June 02, 2009, 02:49:15 PM

Yeah, I wish this would come out already too. And I'd wish they'd get rid of the screamy-yelly music bullcrap in the background.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 03, 2009, 03:13:22 AM »

I'm a few more of those trailers away from being uninterested in this title.

gellar
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 03, 2009, 02:24:27 PM »

Quote from: gellar on June 03, 2009, 03:13:22 AM

Indeed.  I trust Bioware to put out a great game, and I realize that the trailers are the giddy work of marketing tools, but at some point it gets hard to ignore the stupid.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 03, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on June 03, 2009, 02:24:27 PM

Quote from: gellar on June 03, 2009, 03:13:22 AM

Indeed.  I trust Bioware to put out a great game, and I realize that the trailers are the giddy work of marketing tools, but at some point it gets hard to ignore the stupid.

it really sucks in this case, because if you punish EA you're punishing Bioware as well.  stupid buyout.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 03, 2009, 03:02:08 PM »

Bioware has been quite emphatic that the marketing stuff is coming from them and not EA. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2009, 03:19:41 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 03, 2009, 03:02:08 PM

Bioware has been quite emphatic that the marketing stuff is coming from them and not EA. 

wow.  they need to clean house in their marketing department then.  I don't find these too horrible but you'd think they would have gone with music that more resembles Lord of the Rings epic nature than something better suited for Gears of War.

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21:40 PM »

Something is definitely afoot with the DA team- evidently the first thing that they are demoing to the press at E3 is the sex minigame.   eek  So the marketing may not be far off from the content tonally.

Pretty marked difference from the way they are handling Mass Effect 2 (which they are doing an excellent job with IMO). 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2009, 03:25:36 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 03, 2009, 03:21:40 PM

Pretty marked difference from the way they are handling Mass Effect 2 (which they are doing an excellent job with IMO). 

so far at least, up until they decide to delay ME2 from the first half of next year to Fall 2010 and have to come up with new ads for E3  icon_wink

Because I can,
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2009, 03:25:46 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 03, 2009, 01:54:11 AM

Quote from: kathode on June 02, 2009, 03:06:09 PM

Yeah, I wish this would come out already too. And I'd wish they'd get rid of the screamy-yelly music bullcrap in the background.

Those are the lyrics from the song smile  It's funny because the song is basically saying "You bought the old stuff so we're just going to throw together some shit and package it up nice and as long as it has sex and violence you'll love it, you idiots."  Interesting marketing angle, that.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2009, 03:26:26 PM »

It's very possible that they've realized the rest of the game itself isn't up to snuff. In that scenario I could see why they'd want to stress said questionable "aspects" to garner more interest.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on June 03, 2009, 03:02:08 PM

If you lay down with dogs...

morlac00 on PSN
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:53 PM »

Something is definitely afoot with the DA team- evidently the first thing that they are demoing to the press at E3 is the sex minigame.   eek  So the marketing may not be far off from the content tonally.

I'm beginning to suspect that they've been given a high sales goal that they need to achieve to continue the series.  So it's all out marketing, trying to get that accomplished so that five years of world development isn't limited to a single game and two tie-in novels.

Just a theory.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2009, 08:34:04 PM »

getting less and less interested in this...not a day one purchase anymore for me - horrible marketing from Bioware? Thats a first, makes me wonder what the game itself is like, and a sex minigame?? Leisure suit larry goes D&D?

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 03, 2009, 08:12:53 PM

I'm beginning to suspect that they've been given a high sales goal that they need to achieve to continue the series.  So it's all out marketing, trying to get that accomplished so that five years of world development isn't limited to a single game and two tie-in novels.

Just a theory.

Interestingly enough, I saw some sales expectations floating around from an analyst recently and the expectation was that Dragon Age would sell 2.1 million across platforms while ME2 would only do 1.1 million.  Which seemed quite weird that ME is already an established successful franchise and should easily do more than 2 million copies.  
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2009, 02:06:57 AM »

You guys place too much importance on the trailers.  All of the gameplay stuff I've seen has looked good.

I'm not saying it's guaranteed to be good or anything, but there are definitely things you should pay a lot more attention to than a trailer.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2009, 03:04:19 AM »

I'm not saying that Tycho from Penny Arcade is the person to be listening to for all things gaming, but his taste and outlook on games tends to mirror mine fairly closely, and his response to these trailers was basically, "I've played the game.  Ignore the trailers, the game is the one we've been hoping it'll be."

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2009, 03:50:42 AM »

no quick hanky panky for you!  icon_lol  one of the things I've always liked about Bioware is the fact you have deeper relationships with your party members beyond what games use to have where they suually ended up being a pack train following you with no personalities.

Because I can,
ScubaV

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2009, 03:07:22 PM »

RPS weighs in on the E3 footage

I have absolute faith in the power of people to be stupid.

My vision is augmented.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »

Quote from: ScubaV on June 10, 2009, 03:07:22 PM

Not really a surprise.  Every single article on this game now talks about the infantile marketing campaign they are in and I just don't understand how Bioware can keep acting like it doesn't matter that their core audience is being turned off by it.  On the official boards for the game they continue to act like they have the RPG crowd "sewn up" and that this shouldn't matter to hard-core fans.  And yet it does, and largely because of how they (Bioware) are promoting the game. 

I think it's quite likely that the sex/romance stuff is nowhere near as lame as it may have appeared in that demo, but that's what Bioware decided to show as part of their decision to promote the sex and violence angle of this game over the RPG angle.  To me the approach seems to be backfiring, but then again, the game is still months away (October 20.)

- American Dad
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2009, 07:04:48 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on June 10, 2009, 06:59:19 PM

Quote from: ScubaV on June 10, 2009, 03:07:22 PM

Not really a surprise.  Every single article on this game now talks about the infantile marketing campaign they are in and I just don't understand how Bioware can keep acting like it doesn't matter that their core audience is being turned off by it.  On the official boards for the game they continue to act like they have the RPG crowd "sewn up" and that this shouldn't matter to hard-core fans.  And yet it does, and largely because of how they (Bioware) are promoting the game. 

Eh, I think to some degree Bioware is right- a couple of really positive first impressions or reviews and the entire PC RPG market will be lining up. 

I'm more concerned with the negative impressions in the press over the combat, quests, voice acting, script, etc- that stuff should pretty much be a given.  Hopefully, as Walker notes in the RPS article, that stuff plays better in the context of the full game. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 10, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »

Anyone think if I fired up Baldur's Gate 2 and it's addon now if I could finish before Dragon Age comes out?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 10, 2009, 07:31:56 PM »

I definitely don't like this new Bioware.  It seems like all they can talk about is sex and gore.  This turn towards the juvenile (while trying to call it "mature") is very disturbing.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 10, 2009, 08:03:52 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 10, 2009, 07:31:56 PM

I definitely don't like this new Bioware.  It seems like all they can talk about is sex and gore.  This turn towards the juvenile (while trying to call it "mature") is very disturbing.

yeah, wtf is up with that? that's not what gamers mean by more mature games. to me a more mature game would be a darker more cynical game. i want a game where the bad guys wins. how cool would it be if in ME1 the plans went to shit and the next 2 you're trying to piece things together before even more hell breaks lose. why does everything have to be so damn feel good. it makes figuring out plots way too easy because no matter what you know you're going to come out ahead. switch up the ball game, folks. i've been playing rpg's for a decade+, they are easy to predict.

let's have the so called moral choices actually be just that. this whole thing with growing horns or whatever is so retarded. who the fuck gives a shit about horns on your head for killing a random guy? no one, that's who. it's even more pathetic that every answer is written clear as day. the witcher was fairly close, lots of grey choices and your actions weren't immediately felt. that's how it should be done.

hooray for virtual boobies if you're 13, though.  Roll Eyes  that's why we have porn.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: June 10, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »

jersoc, I don't know if you've played The Witcher, but based on your comments I think you'd really like it... well, except for the boobs part, of which The Witcher contains numerous examples.

"Mature" is a word that is greatly abused by more game companies than just Bioware though. For the most part when a developer says their game is "mature", they really mean to say that it's "adolescent".
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 10, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »

I have, i even mentioned it Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: