http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:47:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age is looking good!  (Read 80251 times)
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 11, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »

Yeah, I had started a fresh new game with the 1.02 patch and never encountered the Shale Bug.  I did get caught by the Leiliana Romance Bug which was specifically addressed in the patch notes, though, so maybe I just got lucky.

-Autistic Angel
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 11, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 11, 2010, 04:40:57 PM

Yeah, I had started a fresh new game with the 1.02 patch and never encountered the Shale Bug.  I did get caught by the Leiliana Romance Bug which was specifically addressed in the patch notes, though, so maybe I just got lucky.

-Autistic Angel
Yeah, I've heard about the Leiliana issue still showing up for people - apparently the thing to do in order to avoid the problem is to not give her a bunch of gifts until after she's warmed up to you.  Again, I didn't run into it myself, but I think that one is still out there in the wild.  I'm guessing another patch will issue within the next month for Origins just considering they'll likely find something to patch up on Awakenings, and if they've already got the code opened up ...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 16, 2010, 07:13:25 AM »

well I patched my Impulse version up to 1.03 using the regular patch since Awakening is due out later today and they still haven't released anything patchwise via Impulse.  playing around with it everything seems to be fine, so hopefully I can download the expansion tonight when I get me from work and continue the tale.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 17, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »

well Awakening downloaded fairly quickly, it's only 2.15 gigs.  soon I shall be returning to Ferelden....

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1284 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 01:30:23 AM

well Awakening downloaded fairly quickly, it's only 2.15 gigs.  soon I shall be returning to Ferelden....

It's worth it.  My review is going up tonight.  Just gotta finish writing...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 17, 2010, 05:37:25 AM »

played a bit of it tonight, it doesn't waste time getting you into action.  there are some new level 20+ talents, a few new skills and  new specializations.  they give you an additional specialization point so you won't have to worry about missing out on the new ones, and I'm going to have to go back to another character to see if the expansion patches this into the main game since it's possible to make it to level 25 in the original campaign.

as Autistic Angel pointed out in another thread, any DLC items will not carry over into the expansion.  I'm not sure if this includes the Dragon Armor but just to prepare you if your main character uses it and you import it over you might start the game a bit naked and/or weaponless.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: March 17, 2010, 02:48:59 PM »

regarding the NPC character classes you get access to pretty quickly (and I haven't even finished the keep yet):

Spoiler for Hiden:
they don't waste time getting you a healer this time around.  whether or not he stays is another question, but it's nice to have the Holy Trinity almost right out of the gate.  of course if you're not playing a thief character then that statement doesn't apply to you.

Because I can,
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 17, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 05:37:25 AM

as Autistic Angel pointed out in another thread, any DLC items will not carry over into the expansion.  I'm not sure if this includes the Dragon Armor but just to prepare you if your main character uses it and you import it over you might start the game a bit naked and/or weaponless.

One curious note: my imported character had her non-DLC twin daggers unequipped and replaced with the longbow she had in her alternate slot.  The daggers were simply moved into the inventory so all I had to do was reequip them, but people might want to check everything over at the start to make sure things are they way they want.

-Autistic Angel
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1288 on: March 17, 2010, 06:47:19 PM »

My review: http://www.gamingtrend.com/Reviews/review/review.php?ReviewID=1395

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 17, 2010, 06:30:36 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 05:37:25 AM

One curious note: my imported character had her non-DLC twin daggers unequipped and replaced with the longbow she had in her alternate slot.  The daggers were simply moved into the inventory so all I had to do was reequip them, but people might want to check everything over at the start to make sure things are they way they want.

-Autistic Angel

same thing happened to me. I had to reload the last save game from the OC to see what I had equipped.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: March 17, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 17, 2010, 06:47:19 PM

you messed up the title for Return to Ostagar in the last paragraph.  Other than that great review!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:35:07 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1291 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 17, 2010, 07:31:53 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on March 17, 2010, 06:47:19 PM

you messed up the title for Return to Ostagar in the last paragraph.

Sure did.  Was writing while watching Ninja Assassin.  I was...distracted.  biggrin

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: March 17, 2010, 08:52:50 PM »

so this allows me to keep playing my first character, right? i haven't installed it yet, but just wanna make sure i dont need to plan a new guy.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:34 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 17, 2010, 08:52:50 PM

so this allows me to keep playing my first character, right? i haven't installed it yet, but just wanna make sure i dont need to plan a new guy.

yeah, you can import your old character. Just remember any DLC items don't carry over, so if you use any of them you might want to load the end of game save from the OC and grab equipment that won't be gone.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: March 17, 2010, 09:15:16 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 17, 2010, 08:52:50 PM

Yup, my Rogue was Level 33 when I finished the expansion. smile  The ability to buy a re-spec for 6 Sovereigns is nice too!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: March 18, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »

played some more last night and found the returning party member:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Oghren!

I went back to see if the new skills and talents showed up on a character outisde of Awakening, and they don't.  it would have been cool if they had made them available in the OC; sure, they're not unlocked until level 20 but with a level cap of 25 you could at least access some of them.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: March 18, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »

I started playing today and I'm a bit confused.  Yesterday, in anticipation and after reading that the Return to Ostagar stuff did carry over, I loaded up my post-ending save and requipped my guy with Ostagar stuff and made other changes.  So when I went to start Awakening, I choose that character (not in the advanced mode of choosing, just the regular) and it was the most recent save that it imported.  But I'm wondering if that will impact the world since it's not my actual "final" save.  I guess I'm confused about the whole thing in terms of whether post-ending saves all give you your ending or not.

As for Awakening, I'm far enough in to have three companions but haven't finished the opening location yet.  So far it doesn't seem to hard.  The way they handled the returning character when you first see them was funny, though.  icon_lol

Edit: I've played along futher to the point where the monarch shows up and all signs indicate that this is the conclusion to the main story I completed with this character that is being used.  So that's good - the game does consider the post-completion saves, even though that theoretically is taking place earlier, to count in terms of character inventory.  So it's using the most recent save for gear while applying the results of the ending you got.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 02:36:54 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: March 23, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on March 18, 2010, 10:15:54 PM

As for Awakening, I'm far enough in to have three companions but haven't finished the opening location yet.  So far it doesn't seem to hard. 

yeah, the beginning is pretty easy.  even the first boss fight, while taking awhile to whittle the guy down, wasn't a challenge.  still, this is Dragon Age, it'll lull you into a sense of complacency and then kick you in the jimmies.

Because I can,
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: March 23, 2010, 10:39:58 PM »

I'm crashing fairly often after applying the 1.03 patch on my tripped out laptop.  Looking at the Bioware technical forums, it appears plenty of other people are experiencing the same issues. 

As everyone here seems to be having a good experience with the game, I'm curious about your computer systems, especially the graphics card and drivers you're using?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: March 23, 2010, 11:01:24 PM »

I haven't played the original game since 1.03 came out, but Awakening has crashed on me 3 times now where the first game never has.  Since I quicksave all the time it's not like I lose anything when it happens, but it is still annoying.  There also appears to be some bugs related to the import of DLC items.  Officially, only items from the Return to Ostagar DLC are supposed to import, but apparently some others do anyway and that can bug things up severely.  I've been lucky in that regard, but others haven't been.

As for difficulty, I'm pretty far into the game now (part way through the third of the three big "do these in any order" part of the expansion) and it's mostly been pretty easy.  One major boss fight was pretty hard the first several times I tried it on normal difficulty, but was easy when I came back to it the next day.  The next major boss fight I beat on my second try.  As the game progresses your party gets pretty ridiculous in terms of damage it can do which makes things rather easy.  My only complaint is that my main (2H warrior) is getting left behind because I haven't found a replacement 2H sword for what I started with while the other 2H warrior has a hammer and axe that do significantly more damage per hit then I can do.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: March 24, 2010, 04:07:07 PM »

Alienware is giving away free DLC codes for the PC version.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 25, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

I finally finished Awakening today.  It's really a pretty uneven experience, which I'm pretty sure is related to it's likely being a cobbled together assortment of stuff that was originally intended to be released as seperate DLCs.  For example, in my previous post I mentioned the lack of a good 2H sword.  Well, it turns out that after not finding anything in the other mid-game areas, the last one I went two included not just a better 2H sword, but the ability to have an even better one made.  If I'd hit that area first, it would have made the other parts of the game even easier then they already were.  The whole thing is like that, with the feeling that they needed more time to polish and balance this thing.

Still, as a DA fan I can't complain (except for the price, of course).  More content is always good and I'm hoping DLC is still the plan.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1302 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:34 PM »

Finished it as well, and wow, I encountered a lot of bugs.  There was one bug that caused my main character to lose all his gear.  Thankfully, except for a particular sword, I was wearing a lot of stuff from the old game and it replaced my current gear.

Twice I've had newly recruited party members jump up to +100 approval for no reason, and with one of them she started at +100, but still counted as being neutral, so I never got to do anything related to approval, like her personal quests.

There's also a lot of scripting oversights dealing with timing and more, clearly things that would have been fixed had they had more time to properly QA this.

However, overall it was a good experience, and in many ways better than the original.  I loved how you were actually making more tough decisions during the game.

For DA2 they're going to have to pull something like Mass Effect 2's overhaul though.  I love classic RPGs as much as the next guy, but there were a lot of aspects that were just plain backwards.  A lot of the inventory clutter was pointless, all those extra potion types to carry around, salves and balms that last for less than a single fight.  You can keep a lot of the classic RPG aspects, but streamline the stuff that doesn't really matter.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 26, 2010, 02:13:07 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 26, 2010, 01:51:34 PM

For DA2 they're going to have to pull something like Mass Effect 2's overhaul though.  I love classic RPGs as much as the next guy, but there were a lot of aspects that were just plain backwards.  A lot of the inventory clutter was pointless, all those extra potion types to carry around, salves and balms that last for less than a single fight.  You can keep a lot of the classic RPG aspects, but streamline the stuff that doesn't really matter.

but without all those useless balms, salves and potions I wouldn't have had enough gold to potentially buy half of Ferelden!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 01, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »

April Fool's Day DLC!

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:37 PM »

My mom wants me to pick out a game as my b-day present, so I'm thinking of maybe finally picking this up. I don't think it's my kind of game (maybe it was my kind of game circa 1995 or so but not now), but if it's not on my dime, it's finally my chance to know for sure.  icon_cool

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:08 AM »

how about some sword replicas.  also, word is more DLC is on it's way in the form of The Darkspawn Chronicles.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: May 05, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »

info on the Darkspwan Chronicles.  it's a 'What If?' scenario, and I'm guessing it'll be combat heavy.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: May 05, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 05, 2010, 08:41:49 PM

info on the Darkspwan Chronicles.  it's a 'What If?' scenario, and I'm guessing it'll be combat heavy.

My initial reaction is that I'm not very interested in this.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: May 06, 2010, 11:43:27 PM »

here's a trailer for the Darkspawn Chronicles.  definitely gives me a 'meh' feeling.

Because I can,
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: May 07, 2010, 02:10:50 PM »

I wonder whether EA is responsible for this lame-DLC disease Bioware has contracted.  My gut says yes.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: May 07, 2010, 02:16:47 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on May 07, 2010, 02:10:50 PM

I wonder whether EA is responsible for this lame-DLC disease Bioware has contracted.  My gut says yes.
I think one can only blame the players in general cause if people weren't buying DLC and microtransactions in droves (in all sorts of games, by all sorts of publishers), the publishers wouldn't do it more and more. For better or worse.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: May 07, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 06, 2010, 11:43:27 PM

here's a trailer for the Darkspawn Chronicles.  definitely gives me a 'meh' feeling.

Agreed.  I'm definitely in the 'partly cloudy' camp on this one...

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: May 21, 2010, 11:48:23 PM »

Darkspawn Chronicles reviews.

one word:

Ouch.

Because I can,
PeterJacobson80
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: May 25, 2010, 11:56:17 AM »

Looks like too many people are talking about how buggy the game is. Wanted to try it, but now discouraged((( icon_neutral
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: May 25, 2010, 12:43:59 PM »

Other reviews mention its about one hour long, makes little sense, and is poorly executed...

Too bad, seems like a moneygrab to me.

A new one
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: May 25, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 25, 2010, 12:43:59 PM

Other reviews mention its about one hour long, makes little sense, and is poorly executed...

And this would be different than the other Bioware Dragon Age DLC how...?

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: May 25, 2010, 01:58:22 PM »

I only have the Wardens keep to compare with, which I didnt pay for, but I liked... What I meant was compared to the game itself, its a shame, since the game is goddamn-hickity-awesome, that the DLC is so poorly done

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: May 25, 2010, 02:11:48 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 25, 2010, 12:43:59 PM

yeah, I don't think I saw any players screaming 'Let us play Darkspawn!!!!!1!'.  this one will be a skip, I still haven't finished Awakening or even touched Return to Ostagar.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: May 26, 2010, 12:06:18 AM »

some machinima: Warden's Fall

Because I can,
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: