http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 01:22:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Install Problems with 64bit Win 7?  (Read 4052 times)
Rowdy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2009, 06:40:01 AM »

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere in the other posts... I scanned but couldn't find any issues like mine.  I can't even install the damn thing!  Just got home with a DVD copy from Best Buy, and 10 seconds into the install I get an error on install.  Running a brand spanking new copy of Win 7 64 bit, with practically nothing on it yet except the newest drivers from ATI.

I see on the BioWare boards lots of other folks with the same problem, except it seems to be different files for everyone causing trouble.  No consensus yet on whether it's a Win 7 issue or a corrupt media issue.  Anyone else having this problem?

crybaby icon_mad

Would love to be able to install the brand new PC game I just spent $60 on!  Bugs in a game are one thing but not being able to install is new.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »

Sounds like the disc copy protection is throwing out errors with your CD drive.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 01:47:41 PM »

Also make sure you don't have any antivirus software running.  BTW, what's the error?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »

I'm running 64 Bit Win 7, installed from the DVD, and haven't had any issues. 
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 05, 2009, 02:02:10 PM

I'm running 64 Bit Win 7, installed from the DVD, and haven't had any issues. 

ditto, and got it from bestbuy Tongue
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »

running windows 7 64 bit and got it from Bestbuy as well. I did not run in to issues
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »

Mine installed fine on Win 7 x64.

Here's something to try that I discovered when Crysis would not install for me:  Update the firmware on your DVD drive.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »

Something else to try- right click on the setup icon and select "Run as Administrator".  I doubt that's the problem but it's worth a shot. 
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 02:44:48 PM »

Retail DVD from walmart. 

No problems with win 7 64.

The Witcher on the other hand crybaby

"Goonies never say die"
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 03:46:53 PM »

Does Windows 7 Hate Dragon Age?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »

Quote from: Jag on November 05, 2009, 03:46:53 PM

Not on my box, it doesn't.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 03:53:37 PM »

Another possible remedy from the Bioware forums:

Hi guys, I had this issue too and finally got it to work by choosing custom install and changing the default directory name. So instead of going to c:\program files\Dragon Age I changed it to c:\program files\Dragon Ages with an extra "s" and it worked.

Hope this helps.

I had bought 2 copies of the game and both discs failed with this error, so I don't think it's the media - more like something with the installer and how it stores the unzipped files.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »

Looks like it's not Windows 7 related.  I tried to install on my XP box, with the same results.  About 5 seconds in I get 'Dragon Age Installer has encountered and error and needs to close' on XP.  On Win 7 it was a different error message but similar amount of time into the file copy process.

So is this a problem with corrupt media?  My DVD drive firmware is up to date.  I tried changing the path from C to another drive letter with no success.  I do have anti-virus running, but in 2009 I don't believe that's the problem.  I've installed hundreds of games with anti-virus running without problems.  I suppose I'll try that.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:58:57 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on November 05, 2009, 06:48:01 PM

Looks like it's not Windows 7 related.  I tried to install on my XP box, with the same results.  About 5 seconds in I get 'Dragon Age Installer has encountered and error and needs to close' on XP.  On Win 7 it was a different error message but similar amount of time into the file copy process.

So is this a problem with corrupt media?  My DVD drive firmware is up to date.  I tried changing the path from C to another drive letter with no success.  I do have anti-virus running, but in 2009 I don't believe that's the problem.  I've installed hundreds of games with anti-virus running without problems.  I suppose I'll try that.

I would definite try without the A/V. Is the same A/V on both machines? If it's not the A/V then it sounds like a bad disc maybe. I've been following the DA:O thread at GamersWithJobs and there have been some to get bad 360 version discs.

If it's not working on either of your machines, I'm not sure what else it could be.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on November 05, 2009, 06:58:57 PM

Quote from: Rowdy on November 05, 2009, 06:48:01 PM

I would definite try without the A/V. Is the same A/V on both machines? If it's not the A/V then it sounds like a bad disc maybe. I've been following the DA:O thread at GamersWithJobs and there have been some to get bad 360 version discs.

If it's not working on either of your machines, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Different A/V on both OS.  It's a dual boot, so same machine.  I suppose that means the single point of failure would be the dvd drive, but with so many other people reporting similar issues on BioWare's forums, I can't see how that's possible.  I guess I can try and copy all the files off the disc and see if that works.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »

I installed my copy from Best Buy yesterday and right in the middle of it the DVD drive started making wierd noises, first thought was my DVD drive died, but it kept installing and eventually the noises went away. 

Windows 7 and new laptop.

bob
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2009, 07:58:01 PM »

I don't have Win 7 on my Dragon Age system, but I can say from experience that it sounds precisely like a disc check error.  I once ran into that as part of an old SecuROM protection scheme that made me think my DVD drive had died.  I went and bought another, same results.  Then I found the problem was in how the DRM was reading the drive itself.  As EA's DRM for the game is now supposedly inhouse, I suspect there will be a patch to fix that issue shortly.  Knock on wood.

As an aside, check to make sure that the transfer method for your drive hasn't been changed - sometimes when the system picks up multiple "read failures" it will step down the data transfer speed in an attempt to find a workable level because the OS thinks your drive is broken (DMA will switch to PIO, for instance).
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2009, 10:08:08 PM »

It's definitely a problem with the installation files.  I've copied the contents of the disc to a folder (successfully, so no issue with the DVD rom) and tried to run the install from there.  It fails in the same place again, this time only running off the hard drive.  Don't understand though how files on one disc can be corrupt when they're being mass printed by the millions?  Unless it's another issue?  Do DRM errors still come into play if I'm installing from a folder on my HD and not from a disc drive?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2009, 10:18:06 PM »

Quote from: Rowdy on November 05, 2009, 10:08:08 PM

It's definitely a problem with the installation files.  I've copied the contents of the disc to a folder (successfully, so no issue with the DVD rom) and tried to run the install from there.  It fails in the same place again, this time only running off the hard drive.  Don't understand though how files on one disc can be corrupt when they're being mass printed by the millions?  Unless it's another issue?  Do DRM errors still come into play if I'm installing from a folder on my HD and not from a disc drive?

DRM shouldn't come into play off the hard drive, and really shouldn't come into play when installing off the DVD either, that is if the DRM is just a simple disc check at game load time, which is what DA:O uses. There is no securerom drm in Dragon Age. That was explicitly stated by the developers. The only thing it does is a disc check at the start of the game.

So, did you ever try after disabling the A/V?

Also, check your Windows running processes and see what's going on there. Lastly, can you post the exact error message you're getting?
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2009, 03:36:23 AM »

Quote from: Jeff on November 05, 2009, 10:18:06 PM

Quote from: Rowdy on November 05, 2009, 10:08:08 PM

DRM shouldn't come into play off the hard drive, and really shouldn't come into play when installing off the DVD either, that is if the DRM is just a simple disc check at game load time, which is what DA:O uses. There is no securerom drm in Dragon Age. That was explicitly stated by the developers. The only thing it does is a disc check at the start of the game.

So, did you ever try after disabling the A/V?

Also, check your Windows running processes and see what's going on there. Lastly, can you post the exact error message you're getting?

As I mentioned, it's two separate A/V on XP and Win 7, but I tried disabling MS Security Essentials on the Win 7 install and re-running the install.  It made no difference.  The install fails when trying to copy "\packages\core\data\anims.erf".  The error message on Win 7 is meaningless - "Dragon Age: Origins installer has stopped working.  A problem has caused this program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the problem and notify you if a solution is available."  It then offers to try it with different compatibility settings - doing that also makes no difference.

This is a fresh install of Win 7, and I'm an IT pro by trade so my system is clean.  I've reviewed the process list via task manager and don't see any processes that shouldn't be running.  According to ccleaner, the only programs starting up are Windows Sidebar, Windows Intellitype and Intellipoint, and Windows Security Essentials.  The ATI control center is also there but was disabled previously by me.

After reading on BioWare's self-help forums that many people have similar install problems, I've opened a support ticket with EA.  One person in the BioWare thread indicated that they were given a code to download the files from EA's download manager and that resolved it, and that they were told by EA that there had been some faulty DVD's manufactured.  I'm a bit skeptical, however, since EA would have no way to verify that I actually purchased the game, and I can't imagine they'd hand out codes to download the game for free without some kind of receipt of purchase.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: