http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:21:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawke's Adventure (formerly know as Dragon Age II) - Impressions! Mods!  (Read 40558 times)
TiLT
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2011, 07:04:04 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 24, 2011, 02:42:18 AM

Quote from: TiLT on February 23, 2011, 06:50:04 PM

Actually, people were mostly just complaining about the horrible marketing (Blood! Dragons! More blood! Marilyn Manson!)

in a way I kinda miss those ads, but then again they may have gone with Bieber this time around.....

I miss the days when those ads were the worst we had to worry about.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 24, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2011, 07:00:51 AM

Quote from: Sarkus on February 23, 2011, 10:26:56 PM

Quote from: Razgon on February 23, 2011, 07:39:05 PM

I won't buy it - there's actually quite a few great rpg's coming out, that seems a lot more interesting and a lot more like the rpg's I like, for me to purchase this.

While there are quite a few RPGs coming out, almost all of them are much later in the year, as in the fall.  The only one that isn't is Witcher 2.  Which is already an action/rpg and is also showing signs of being changed to try and appeal to a larger and probably eventually console market.  So for now, this is the only RPG game in town.

I don't understand what you are saying - The Witcher 2 has been "conzollized" but DA2 hasnt? Is that your claim right now?

And I'll be getting Witcher 2, niggles aside.

No, my claim is that just about every RPG now (DA2 included) is an action rpg and that most are being made with consoles in mind.  Including The Witcher 2. On top of that, outside of the Drakensang games (a series which is dead), nobody else is even trying to do tactical party-based RPGs anymore.  Despite its flaws, DA2 is pretty much it (other then maybe Dungeon Siege 3).  So getting upset about the moves DA2 has made in the action rpg direction seems an odd complaint from someone who says there are many other rpgs to choose instead.  Especially when none of those even come out for at least six months, with the exception of The Witcher 2.

That all said, if you really hate the art style, Flemeth's rack, and the combat moves that much then I guess I can see where you might say "forget it."  Especially if you really liked DAO.  Me, I guess I'm too much of an RPG whore to pass on a major game from a developer I've generally enjoyed in a setting that I thought was fun.  Especially when there aren't any other RPGs coming out in the same time frame. icon_wink

Even if some of the gameplay decisions are not what I would have preferred.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:29:34 AM by Sarkus » Logged

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:13 AM »

Not really that odd actually - I don't need a new rpg every month so its fine for me. Elder Scrolls Skyrim and Deus Ex which both seems more true to their own roots shall serve me just fine :-)

As for the Witcher 2, we'll see I guess, but I have much higher hope for it than for DA:2.

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:43 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2011, 07:29:13 AM

As for the Witcher 2, we'll see I guess, but I have much higher hope for it than for DA:2.

NO SEX CARDS, NO SALE!

icon_wink

(Just kidding, TW2 is clearly more mature in other ways this time.)

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #404 on: February 24, 2011, 07:43:53 AM »

http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/

A little more video showing a bit more gameplay at a later point in the game. Also shows different parts of the city. Goes on for about 30 minutes so enjoy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:49:49 AM by Turtle » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 24, 2011, 07:43:53 AM

A little more video showing a bit more gameplay at a later point in the game. Also shows different parts of the city. Goes on for about 30 minutes so enjoy.

Somewhat spoilerish in that some of the game's plot structure is revealed as is the entrance of one of the companions.  There's also what may be a *major* plot spoiler late in the clip, though I'm not sure if that was just a poor choice of words or an actual slip.  On the other hand it does show some different environments for those who are concerned it will all be bland and uninteresting.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 24, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on February 24, 2011, 05:15:06 AM

Quote from: EddieA on February 23, 2011, 10:39:18 PM

The latest PC Gamer has a review for DA2, giving it a 94%, along with the rather bold claim that it features "the best RPG combat ever".

Wow. The Xbox demo made the game seem like a button masher to me.

I got the 360 demo but haven't played it yet, but everything I've heard about it makes it sound that way.  of course I kept hitting the number keys in the PC demo so it could be considered a 'key masher'  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 24, 2011, 10:59:06 AM »

Watching that video  and seeing the stuff about the dwarf's crossbow it struck me that I'd love to see Bioware make a steampunk game like this. Either something like shadowrun or even better an Arcanum remake. I'd enjoy having guns and flying zeppelins and  all that kind of stuff using an engine similar to these. Now THAT I'd be first in line for.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 24, 2011, 11:02:36 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 24, 2011, 07:32:43 AM

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2011, 07:29:13 AM

NO SEX CARDS, NO SALE!

icon_wink

(Just kidding, TW2 is clearly more mature in other ways this time.)

it's got to have sex cards!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 24, 2011, 11:03:20 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on February 24, 2011, 08:29:34 AM

Somewhat spoilerish in that some of the game's plot structure is revealed as is the entrance of one of the companions.  There's also what may be a *major* plot spoiler late in the clip, though I'm not sure if that was just a poor choice of words or an actual slip.  On the other hand it does show some different environments for those who are concerned it will all be bland and uninteresting.

thanks for the heads up, going to skip it for now.

Because I can,
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 24, 2011, 05:19:27 PM »

Played the PC demo last night... much better than the console version, I thought.  It wasn't all that different from DA:O, really... I'll be going PC.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 24, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »

Quote from: kratz on February 24, 2011, 05:19:27 PM

Played the PC demo last night... much better than the console version, I thought.  It wasn't all that different from DA:O, really... I'll be going PC.

I need to download both and test them to see which is best so I can preorder the damn thing.  Of course, a few more posts like yours and I can not waste time dicking with the Demos  lol   

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #412 on: February 24, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »

I think it was said already, but there's an option in console versions to make combat like the PC version, where you just hit one button to make your character auto-attack a target, then you just manage special abilities.

Graphics should be mostly the same since one of the reasons DA2 looks like it does now was to make it run better on consoles.

The PC version is still where it's at though, since if you have a decent PC, you can run it in high res, use the mouse interface, have shorter load times, and if you have a current video card, make use of some DX11 features.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 24, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »

Plus pretty much every single game that is out on both consoles and PC's is better on the PC Tongue.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: February 24, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

Well, now this is true, not so much in the early days of this console generation. slywink
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 24, 2011, 08:43:47 PM »

The interface is the real notable difference... so much better on PC.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 24, 2011, 09:04:34 PM »

I actually have problems with the interface, specifically the menus, such as in the tactics screen. For some reason when I mouse over a menu option it doesn't highlight unless I click on some tiny area that I have to search for. I also dislike how when a party member levels up and you click on them in the character screen, you have to click on their picture in just the right spot or it takes you back to the game. Hopefully this stuff isn't present in the final game.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 25, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »

I was having the same troubles as TotalBiscuit with the buttons till I noticed how they worked. When you have a chracter that gains a lvl and you click their pic and it just opens something else...you actually click the arrow up on their little pic. I actually love that feature. Save clicks going through un needed menus.  The again the buttons that would show up on the bottom I had to click the lettering on them to work and I see no reason for this. The whole button on those types should be clickable.

Anyways Im glad I have my pre order in and got it in before Jan 8...think I got mine in Jan 6 smile Looking forward to it. My only problem is I have not played New Vegas in 3 weeks so I dont know how Ill ever finish that.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 25, 2011, 03:10:01 AM »

Quote from: kratz on February 24, 2011, 05:19:27 PM

Played the PC demo last night... much better than the console version, I thought.  It wasn't all that different from DA:O, really... I'll be going PC.

yeah, wasn't impressed with the 360 demo.  of course I knew I'd be going PC anyways.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 25, 2011, 03:36:03 AM »

one thing I don't get is why did they lock the difficulty level for the demo?  I fired it up again to see how it played at a harder difficulty level (normal wasn't a challenge; I didn't die once nor did I ever feel in danger of doing so) and can't.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: February 25, 2011, 07:41:59 AM »

/Slight trolling mode engaged
So, if the game is made to run better on consoles, but people don't like the console version and gets the PC version instead...does this mean we can drop the console version next time, and make it a pc game?
/Slight trolling mode disengaged

A new one
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 25, 2011, 01:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on February 25, 2011, 03:08:11 AM

When you have a chracter that gains a lvl and you click their pic and it just opens something else...you actually click the arrow up on their little pic.

Didn't it work this way in KOTOR?
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:44 PM »

There were over 1,000,000 downloads of the demo.  Looks like we get our two items!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »

Not surprised. Although to get past that last bit we had to wait until XBL silver accounts could download the demo.

The sad reality of AAA development right now is that no AAA game will be made without some form of console versions. Also, the console and PC versions are much more alike now.

Another benefit of making the game geared towards consoles is that it keeps the required system specs on PC low, at least at this point in the console cycle as consoles are now based on 5 year old tech. I honestly think the resurgence of PC gaming has actually been due to the console cycle stagnating a bit, yet helping to keep the mad race of PC tech in check.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: February 25, 2011, 01:40:12 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2011, 01:20:04 PM

The sad reality of AAA development right now is that no AAA game will be made without some form of console versions. Also, the console and PC versions are much more alike now.

Neither of those two points are correct. To take the second point first: All cross-platform titles with PC versions look much, much better on the PC these days. There's no competition. There are also many AAA titles being developed exclusively for the PC. To mention the ones I can think of from 2011 alone:

- Diablo 3
- Guild Wars 2
- Shogun 2
- The Witcher 2 (we haven't had any announcements about a console version yet, at least)
- SW: The Old Republic
- Might and Magic Heroes VI
- Darkspore
- Game of Thrones: Genesis
- Stronghold 3

... among other titles I'm less familiar with.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: February 25, 2011, 02:35:38 PM »

Diablo 3 - Blizzard is a PC developer and this style of game has roots on the PC, but is already heading to console.
Guild Wars 2 - MMO
Shogun 2 - traditional wargame
Witcher 2 - will have a console version eventually
Old Republic - MMO
M&M Heroes - traditional wargame
Darkspore - Diablo-like

Most games you see that are PC only, are such only because they don't lend to being played on consoles. But you can bet that they would love to get on consoles. Mostly you'll see established franchises; Diablo-likes, which aren't on consoles only because no one has really tried, but that Torchlight 2 is making headway into. There's also strategy/wargames, also difficult to put on consoles, but developers have been trying, and MMOs which by their nature are difficult to put on consoles, but once again, people try.

Also, one of the reasons these games are being made now is still because consoles have held PC tech still and have helped drive down PC gaming component cost.

This is not to say I think PC gaming is dead, but you can bet that a lot of games that have both console and PC versions, the only reason why there is a PC version is that consoles stopped the tech creep on PCs enough that older PCs can all run these console titles.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: February 25, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2011, 02:35:38 PM

Most games you see that are PC only, are such only because they don't lend to being played on consoles. But you can bet that they would love to get on consoles. Mostly you'll see established franchises; Diablo-likes, which aren't on consoles only because no one has really tried, but that Torchlight 2 is making headway into. There's also strategy/wargames, also difficult to put on consoles, but developers have been trying, and MMOs which by their nature are difficult to put on consoles, but once again, people try.

Won't argue with you there, but you said:

The sad reality of AAA development right now is that no AAA game will be made without some form of console versions.

... which I showed was false. That there's reasons why these games are PC exclusive doesn't change that fact.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on February 25, 2011, 01:10:44 PM

There were over 1,000,000 downloads of the demo.  Looks like we get our two items!
w00t!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 25, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2011, 02:35:38 PM

Diablo 3 - Blizzard is a PC developer and this style of game has roots on the PC, but is already heading to console.
Guild Wars 2 - MMO
Shogun 2 - traditional wargame
Witcher 2 - will have a console version eventually
Old Republic - MMO
M&M Heroes - traditional wargame
Darkspore - Diablo-like

they're also looking at bringing Guild Wars 2 to the consoles.

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 25, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2011, 01:20:04 PM

Not surprised. Although to get past that last bit we had to wait until XBL silver accounts could download the demo.

Another benefit of making the game geared towards consoles is that it keeps the required system specs on PC low, at least at this point in the console cycle as consoles are now based on 5 year old tech. I honestly think the resurgence of PC gaming has actually been due to the console cycle stagnating a bit, yet helping to keep the mad race of PC tech in check.

That has made a big difference for me. I have bought several games lately that I would not have taken a chance on a few years ago. I hated buying a game only to find out that for some reason it wouldn't play on my machine. Who can afford to constantly upgrade their computer just to play a game or two.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #430 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10:06 PM »

Quote from: kratz on February 23, 2011, 05:40:10 PM

I was pretty bummed on the 360 demo, but I think some of my complaints may have been the result of me not knowing how to do stuff... I played DA1 on PC, so this was quite a bit different... I guess you have to mash the A button a lot to attack.

Can you pause and order on the console versions?  I read in a preview that you can, but I don't know how to do it... I saw where I could pause and access potions and give movement orders, but can I pause and go to specific player and tell them to use a specific spell?  If not on console, can you do that on PC?

I don't know if anyone answered your question, but here's mine:

by holding the LT, you bring up the wheel / pause the game. You can then (while still holding it) hit LB or RB to cycle through your party members, and then issue spell/ability commands. Your wheel can also be used to control the party as a whole.

I'm about to try the PC version to get a good comparison.

My only complaint about the demo (besides not making some of what I just explained clearer from the get-go) was that they mixed in FMV trailers who's audio is different. If they had dropped the FMV mid-game, it would have been better as the game would have felt more consistent.

The other thing is the FMV is mostly of the demo, so it feels like "this is all there is to offer" and shoots the purpose of a demo/teaser right in the foot. They may have made an incredible game, but I find the demo... lacking.

Lastly, not all the women have big boobs, nor are they all porn-star hot. Aveline has a face that screams "My skillset lies in headbutting".

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 25, 2011, 05:32:11 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 25, 2011, 05:10:06 PM

Lastly, not all the women have big boobs, nor are they all porn-star hot. Aveline has a face that screams "My skillset lies in headbutting".

yeah, but put a burlap sack over her head....

Because I can,
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 25, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »

For those of you who pre-ordered the Signature Edition from Amazon, I was able to acquire a $10 refund today.

It seems the Sig Ed is still listed at $60, while the plain jane version is $50.  The Sig Ed was advertised as a "free" upgrade, thus also should be $50.

I e-mailed Amazon with these facts and they refunded me $10.  It's worth a shot.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 25, 2011, 07:49:44 PM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on February 25, 2011, 07:43:19 PM

For those of you who pre-ordered the Signature Edition from Amazon, I was able to acquire a $10 refund today.

It seems the Sig Ed is still listed at $60, while the plain jane version is $50.  The Sig Ed was advertised as a "free" upgrade, thus also should be $50.

I e-mailed Amazon with these facts and they refunded me $10.  It's worth a shot.

I just checked Amazon; the plain version is at $60 now so they must have made a quick change.  I was under the impression that EA was doing their new 60 buck pricing for everything with this one, and the Signature Edition meant you didn't have to buy the extra stuff separately after release.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

Amazon was the only ones offering it for $50 (at least the PC version) so that sucks.  I'm hoping someone has a release day sale - Frys or Best Buy, perhaps.  But it is going to be tempting to go get it at midnight at Walmart, and that would mean full price.

A lot of PC games are moving towards $60 release price now.  Probably inevitable.

- American Dad
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 25, 2011, 09:56:30 PM »

Signature Edition had to be pre-ordered by a specific date.  If you didn't order by that date, tough beans.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 26, 2011, 12:33:41 AM »

by holding the LT, you bring up the wheel / pause the game. You can then (while still holding it) hit LB or RB to cycle through your party members, and then issue spell/ability commands. Your wheel can also be used to control the party as a whole.

There's also an option to make the radial menu a toggle so that you don't have to hold it down.  I found that it works a lot better that way.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 27, 2011, 06:21:57 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 26, 2011, 12:33:41 AM

There's also an option to make the radial menu a toggle so that you don't have to hold it down.  I found that it works a lot better that way.

LB? RB? WTF?  PC! rules  Tongue

Because I can,
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 27, 2011, 03:55:45 PM »

The counter got reset so it is at 848,092 now.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: February 27, 2011, 04:19:26 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on February 27, 2011, 03:55:45 PM

The counter got reset so it is at 848,092 now.

Er... why? Was the counter bugged previously and only now corrected, or did we pass 1 million downloads and the counter itself got bugged?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: