http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:29:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawke's Adventure (formerly know as Dragon Age II) - Impressions! Mods!  (Read 41681 times)
Blackjack
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »

I haven't opened my copy of Dragon Age yet. Now that everyone has spoiled everything in the entire game, I think maybe I'll just sell it on Ebay.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 06:36:51 PM »

that could be Wynne, she had a pretty rocking bod andyesIknowthatwasalimitationoftheenginewhereallthefemalemodelshadthesamebodylook  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on July 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM

My wild-ass guess right now would be that you'll encounter Morrigan and her young child in some capacity in DA 2, with the child growing up and eventually becoming the main villain of DA 3.

- Ash

That would be cool!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 04:03:51 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on July 09, 2010, 08:03:31 PM

Quote from: Asharak on July 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM

My wild-ass guess right now would be that you'll encounter Morrigan and her young child in some capacity in DA 2, with the child growing up and eventually becoming the main villain of DA 3.

- Ash

That would be cool!

or even part 4 or 5.

that said, not liking the new look in the screenshots.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:06:09 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 04:12:32 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 13, 2010, 04:03:51 AM

that said, not liking the new look in the screenshots.

Wow, that looks noticeably worse than DA1.

I'm just gonna chalk that up to an early build on a console version.  (hoping...)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 04:18:43 AM »

yeah, I'm hoping too since it looks like there's no shadow's present, but still kinda dumb to release something like that as 'first screenshots' with less than a year til release.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 04:28:39 AM »

It seems like they took the somewhat unique look of the game and made it look like any generic console RPG instead.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 04:48:12 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 13, 2010, 04:28:39 AM

It seems like they took the somewhat unique look of the game and made it look like any generic console RPG instead.

at least they got the blood splatters right  icon_lol

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 04:57:26 AM »

It's more or less been acknowledged that they are toning down the "realistic" look and going for a more stylistic look.  After all, one of the big complaints from people was that the engine looked "dated."  I don't have a problem with what's been shown so far, but we haven't really seen enough to judge.  Especially on the shadows thing.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 05:28:29 AM »

Way too early to call it. But also glad they didn't go too far into the cartoony style.

Lighting and material shaders makes a very large portion of whether something looks good or not. So those shots, clearly showing an unfinished lighting engine, shouldn't sway opinions either way.

I mean, strip away TF2's unique lighting engine, and you just have some crappy low poly models.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 02:44:20 PM »

save game transfer confirmed; the game will also drop the dialog tree and use the wheel system from ME.

also:

And lastly -- and potentially most controversially -- BioWare revealed that only the PC version of Dragon Age 2 will feature "strategic combat," with the console versions featuring a new system. "Rather than try to mimic the PC experience on consoles, Dragon Age 2 has a battle system more tailored to the strengths of the PS3 and 360," the GI story reads.

perhaps the overhead camera is still in?

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2010, 09:17:01 AM »

Sounds like it on podcasts  (I forget which) a more strategic view should be available in DA2 on PC.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2010, 02:31:23 AM »

I finally got my copy of Game Informer.  The article didn't have a ton of information, though -

The game begins about the same time DA:O did and takes place over the following ten years.  The story will be told in a series of frame stories with various narrators telling tales about Hawke's adventures.  You will be able to see the consequences of your decisions in subsequent stories.  For instance, whether you choose to save a city from attack will affect the future of the region, and you will see these effects as the narrative progresses.

Your companions react differently to your alignment.  They will no longer leave if they don't like you, but they may act hostile or even try to show you up in battle.  The developers want to reward players for being consistent rather than telling your party members what they want to hear.

The three classes - mage, warrior, and rogue - will be more distinct in how they play.  Also, you'll be able to create not only spell combos as in DA:O, but combos with fighting abilities.  The combat in the PC version will be largely the same as DA:O, while the console versions will feature a faster and more fluid variation of the combat seen in the console versions of DA:O.  Both versions are being developed separately to play to the strengths of the system.

From the few screenshots, graphics look like a mixed big.  The faces look much more natural, and the spell effects and a shot of a dragon look great, but the darkspawn look pretty bad.  The developers want to create a unique look for DA2, rather than the generic fantasy look of the original.  It's hard to tell whether everyone has giant freak-hands, though slywink
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:38:45 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2010, 04:09:51 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on July 17, 2010, 02:31:23 AM

From the few screenshots, graphics look like a mixed big.  The faces look much more natural, and the spell effects and a shot of a dragon look great, but the darkspawn look pretty bad.  The developers want to create a unique look for DA2, rather than the generic fantasy look of the original.  It's hard to tell whether everyone has giant freak-hands, though slywink

I got mine today and also noticed this, and it did look like they had shadows enabled in some pics too.  my last hope is they look a lot better in motion.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:46 AM »

It'll probably look better once it's complete. slywink
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:04 AM »

Dimmona has some Comic Con impressions up.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2010, 11:44:36 PM »

here's another preview.  it's kind of spoilerish on how the story is told.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:28 AM »

Alpha Protocol handled this really, really well, I think Bioware can do the same.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 26, 2010, 05:57:28 AM

Alpha Protocol handled this really, really well, I think Bioware can do the same.

I have full faith Bioware can do better than Obsidian, but it's the stuff mentioned in that other thread that have me worried.  hopefully it's just their PR screwing up.

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2010, 07:31:41 AM »

Snagged from Neogaf. It looks like Bioware is giving the big FU to PC gamers, and stripping out the overhead view from the PC version of Dragon Age II. So basically Dragon Age II is now more focused on being an action RPG, the strategic camera is eliminated, and no toolset will be released::

[Mag] Why did you leave/forsake the "a la Baldur's gate" view on PC of the first Dragon Age?
[Mike Laidlaw]For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view. With an aerial view [isometric] we should cover much more ground and so create other textures. Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"

[Mag] Will you release a toolset for DAO 2?
[Mike Laidlaw] To be short, DAO 2 will not have a toolset. I think that DAO I toolset is very powerful but very complicated" [Then they speak of the fan made campaigns possibility for DAO 1 (too little time since last November to create full campaigns, it usually takes years (so only "simple" mods have been produced so far, but this is about DAO I and not DAO II). Once again, Mike Laidlaw does not give any detail on the reasons of this decision.]
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2010, 07:42:19 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2010, 07:31:41 AM

Snagged from Neogaf. It looks like Bioware is giving the big FU to PC gamers, and stripping out the overhead view from the PC version of Dragon Age II. So basically Dragon Age II is now more focused on being an action RPG, the strategic camera is eliminated, and no toolset will be released::

[Mag] Why did you leave/forsake the "a la Baldur's gate" view on PC of the first Dragon Age?
[Mike Laidlaw]For budgetary reasons, we focused our work on a 3rd person view, that asks for very detailed and nice textures so that the player can admire the game with a close-up view. With an aerial view [isometric] we should cover much more ground and so create other textures. Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"

[Mike Laidlaw] To be short, DAO 2 will not have a toolset. I think that DAO I toolset is very powerful but very complicated" [Then they speak of the fan made campaigns possibility for DAO 1 (too little time since last November to create full campaigns, it usually takes years (so only "simple" mods have been produced so far, but this is about DAO I and not DAO II). Once again, Mike Laidlaw does not give any detail on the reasons of this decision.]

There's been a dev followup.  Basically, the toolset isn't changing enough to justify a new one and they are still deciding on whether they need to release an "update" to support the current toolset with this game.  And the overhead view on the PC isn't going away, but it is changing and probably won't pull back as far, though you will still be able to move the camera around untethered to a character.  So changes but not as bad as that article made it seem.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2010, 07:50:08 AM »

faith failing, it feels like they are setting things up to be stripped.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2010, 08:01:58 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2010, 07:50:08 AM

faith failing, it feels like they are setting things up to be stripped.

Eh, I thought the response by the lead designer was reasonable.  PC still gets a pulled back view option, even if it is changing.   And no one has said modding the game won't happen.  But if the reality is that the console version outsold the PC version by a significant margin, then you have to be realistic about what that means, which is that the series will continue with the console version taking precedent and the PC version getting less attention then was the case with the first game. 

As someone who enjoys both types of RPGs that Bioware has recently been making, I'm not all that worried about Dragon Age shifting in the direction of being more console friendly. 

- American Dad
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 08:16:56 AM »

witcher 2>shit>cananda>bioware

what a pathetic company they have become.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 08:29:43 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on August 08, 2010, 07:42:19 AM

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2010, 07:31:41 AM

And the overhead view on the PC isn't going away, but it is changing and probably won't pull back as far, though you will still be able to move the camera around untethered to a character.  So changes but not as bad as that article made it seem.

Did he/she describe the changes? Isometric views aren't too useful if the camera doesn't pull back properly or far enough. I'm touchy on this subject because I used that camera angle often.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:42:15 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 08:37:56 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on August 08, 2010, 08:29:43 AM

Did he/she describe the changes? Isometric views aren't too useful if the camera doesn't pull back properly or far enough. I'm touchy on this subject because I used that camera angle often.

Short answer is no.  Here is the full comment by the lead designer in response to the blowup on the official forums over the French magazine piece.

Hey folks,

Victor managed to hunt me down, and I wanted to clear up a few things with regards to what I'm seeing as the two major concerns on this thread.

First off, let's talk about the toolset issue. Obviously in this community there's going to be some concern that we wouldn't release a toolset, so let me clear the air a little: The tools we're using to make Dragon Age 2 are very, very close to the tools you guys have used to make your mods for DA:O. They're not identical, as we've made a few in-house improvements, but they're almost identical. As such, there isn't a new toolset to release, per se.

While we won't be releasing a toolset update in tandem with Dragon Age 2, we ARE investigating what it would take to update the community toolset to match ours, along with providing DA2 content in the future.

As to the subject of tactical view, I can confirm that we will not be doing a tactical view on consoles, though we are looking into some expanded party control that I think will make console players quite happy.

On the PC, however, we are still working with the camera to keep the key elements of the tactical experience there. I was actually playtesting some new camera code when Victor found me, in fact, so I can give you the latest news on that front.

While we likely won't pull as far up as we did in DA:O, I have always felt that the key to tactical play was actually freeing your camera from the character you're controlling to issue precise orders, which is what we're tuning now. So, this means you can still maneuver the camera around the battlefield and issue orders from a remote location, just as you could in Origins.

As you can probably tell from my phrasing, all of this is a bit in-flux right now, so things may change between now and ship, but I wanted to update you guys on the current direction of things.

Mike..

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 08:38:58 AM »

true, it's a reasonable response plus it gives them enough wiggle room to say 'we never promised anything' to the PC community too  icon_biggrin

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »

His reassurance isn't very reassuring. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Being able to move the camera freely and keeping "key elements" can be quite different from a true isometric view.

I think this post sums up the developer's comments well:

"None of what he has said here means anything in any direction. Let me see if I have this right:

Bioware's tools are not the same as the old tools, but they are not new tools. They aren't going to update the tools, but they're INVESTIGATING updating the tools. There's no "tactical view" in the console versions, but he doesn't say they will keep it in the PC version either, just that they'll keep the "tactical experience", and that it's not really a zoomed out view that helps with that, but free camera mode.

Nothing that he said contradicts anything from the interview. They just realized people were getting mad so he rushed out to say something that sounds like a reassurance without actually saying anything either way, and then says things are "in flux" so when the game comes out and it doesn't have the things PC gamers are asking for, his ass is covered."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:55:08 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2010, 08:43:10 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 08, 2010, 08:38:58 AM

true, it's a reasonable response plus it gives them enough wiggle room to say 'we never promised anything' to the PC community too  icon_biggrin

I could see that with the toolset, but I don't think they will abandon the detached/isometric on the PC version.  After all, they've heavily promoted the differences in the combat between the two and it would make no sense to have the PC version have a different kind of combat but be stuck with the same camera.

My real beef with this isn't that they are changing things, its that they are not really being upfront about it.  The GI article is clearly misleading on this issue of the camera in light of what they are now admitting to be changing.   Bioware should have just been honest upfront. 

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2010, 08:44:43 AM »

So much nerd rage over this, it's funny.

Whatever. If it's a good game, it's a good game.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:37 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 08, 2010, 08:44:43 AM

So much nerd rage over this, it's funny.

Whatever. If it's a good game, it's a good game.

Time will tell, but the camera is one of the most important aspects of a gaming experience. And it is better for those...er...gaming nerds....to voice their displeasure now, instead of waiting until EA releases a product that cannot be changed. Maybe more nerd rage would have saved Deus Ex: Invisible War.  

(yeah, I didn't really think so either.)

If EA is looking to bump those sales numbers, perhaps they should dismantle the inventory system, reduce the RPG elements, and make the camera third person. Call it Dragon Effect. They could even do a comic book-esque cross over, where Shepherd crash lands in Ferelden due to a wormhole mishap.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:10:41 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2010, 09:08:47 AM »

Quote from: Sarkus on August 08, 2010, 08:43:10 AM

My real beef with this isn't that they are changing things, its that they are not really being upfront about it.  The GI article is clearly misleading on this issue of the camera in light of what they are now admitting to be changing.   Bioware should have just been honest upfront. 

it's almost like EA is infecting them.  damn MS for not buying them! crybaby

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2010, 09:17:03 AM »

Can we stop using the term "isometric view" please? It has nothing to do with what Dragon Age has been doing anyway. "Isometric" has a very specific meaning within 3D, and Dragon Age was never even close to satisfying its requirements. "Overhead view" is a much better way of describing it.

Anyway, I don't really see why they're going to limit the overhead view when it worked so well in the first game. They should be careful trying to make this game too much like Mass Effect.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2010, 12:40:03 PM »

Has there even been one complete module made yet for DA? I think these tools are too difficult for the average person and maybe
not worth it. NWvault was a fantastic resource for NWN but they didn't even bother making a vault for DA.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2010, 12:44:18 PM »

I think they have realised that catering for a minimal customer group is not worth it. It is obvious that the market prefers
more streamlined gameplay like Mass Effect 2.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 02:10:39 PM by marcusjm » Logged

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2010, 03:22:16 PM »

"Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"

Hmm.  I thought it sold quite well on the PC?  Anyone have any sales figures?

morlac00 on PSN
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2010, 05:08:31 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on August 08, 2010, 09:17:03 AM

Can we stop using the term "isometric view" please? It has nothing to do with what Dragon Age has been doing anyway. "Isometric" has a very specific meaning within 3D, and Dragon Age was never even close to satisfying its requirements. "Overhead view" is a much better way of describing it.

Good point, the terminologies should be correct. Especially since I'm the guy who always corrects my friends when they constantly misuse the word "Champagne" to describe practically any sparkling wine.   icon_biggrin

Morlac, I haven't seen any sales numbers for the PC. Bioware has stated that it sold well above expectations, but they never addressed what they had anticipated those sales would be.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on August 08, 2010, 12:40:03 PM

Has there even been one complete module made yet for DA? I think these tools are too difficult for the average person and maybe
not worth it. NWvault was a fantastic resource for NWN but they didn't even bother making a vault for DA.

no full modules yet but a lot of other helpful things, like fixing the damage bonus for certain weapons before the devs patched it and the storage locker in camp.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2010, 07:20:56 PM »

Quote from: morlac on August 08, 2010, 03:22:16 PM

"Now, the game mainly sold on console, so we're going the way of the audience"

Hmm.  I thought it sold quite well on the PC?  Anyone have any sales figures?

As always hard numbers are difficult to find.  VGChartz claims the 360 version sold about 1.5m worldwide and the PS3 version about 900,000 worldwide.  If those numbers are correct, that would mean the PC version sold about 800,000 copies, based on the official EA announcement of 3.2m copies "shipped."   

- American Dad
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2010, 08:45:38 PM »

I'm sure there's no way to accurately tell the number of PC copies. No doubt they know the number of hard copies sold in the stores, but the downloaded copies are probably not so clear.

Either way, Bioware became a console company a long time ago. There will never be anything like BG2 from them again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: