http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 02:27:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawke's Adventure (formerly know as Dragon Age II) - Impressions! Mods!  (Read 43564 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »

mark your calendar.  I imagine we'll start seeing info at E3, but this gives us almost a whole year of pent up anticipation!

oh, wait..

a whole year...

crybaby crybaby crybaby
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:30:16 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »

I could do without another annoying
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.
Finished one up just now and it stunk out loud.  icon_confused

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 02:36:50 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 12, 2010, 02:35:16 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.

maybe the whole game will take place in there  Tongue

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 02:57:58 AM »

Eh, the engine is done, and we know they're already working on it from other developer statements.  They've got a good tool set to make a sequel quickly too.

They are making some improvements to the engine, as stated by one of the devs a little while back.

I'm looking forward to it, it's a quick sequel, but so long as they keep the story, characters, and more interesting, I can deal with some gameplay elements being the same.

They did make some nice improvements to the gameplay in Awakening though, from the video livecast I saw, so this is a good sign for the full sequel.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 03:09:42 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2010, 02:36:50 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.

Count me out then unfortunately. Something about the game just doesn't do it for me. Can't really seem to get into it unlike pretty much everything else they've done.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 05:03:10 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on March 12, 2010, 03:09:42 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on March 12, 2010, 02:36:50 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.

Count me out then unfortunately. Something about the game just doesn't do it for me. Can't really seem to get into it unlike pretty much everything else they've done.

don't say out, I used a smiley!  A SMILEY!!!  I was only kidding!!!! crybaby

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 05:54:36 AM »

There's a lot of speculation over whether the DA game announced for next year is a sequel or not, but I guess we'll know by E3 if that is the date they are shooting for. 

Personally, I have a hard time believing that they are going to be able to produce another full game plus all the DLC they've been claiming they have planned (which has amounted to one very delayed item since launch so far) all at the same time.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on March 12, 2010, 05:54:36 AM

There's a lot of speculation over whether the DA game announced for next year is a sequel or not, but I guess we'll know by E3 if that is the date they are shooting for. 

Personally, I have a hard time believing that they are going to be able to produce another full game plus all the DLC they've been claiming they have planned (which has amounted to one very delayed item since launch so far) all at the same time.

They could pull a Left 4 Dead 2.

I just don't know why they don't release full featured XP packs like Awakening.  Forget about DA2.

"Goonies never say die"
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 01:58:29 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.

I'm in the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade
hating camp too.

"Goonies never say die"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »

hopefully we'll know by the end of next week!

Because I can,
Appollo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:08:31 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on March 12, 2010, 01:58:29 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade area.

I'm in the
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fade
hating camp too.

put me in that basket, almost walked away because of it.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 12:07:54 AM »

Count me in for the 360 version. I am one of those who think the console version was the best, never finished it on PC. I just
think it is more immersive when you are up and close to the action. The graphics need improvements though.

I also wish for something more refined storywise, the evil hordes story is getting old by now.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 12:11:49 AM »

I haven't touched it since beginning of April I think.

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 05:46:02 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2010, 03:28:04 PM

hopefully we'll know by the end of next week!

We'll see.  There was a report the other day of someone claiming to have seen DA2 and ME3 listed on some E3 floorplan, but EA came out and specifically denied both.  They could be lying, of course, but it could also be that either a) Feb 2011 is something DA related that is not a sequel or b) they really aren't going to push it at E3.

- American Dad
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »

I've been waiting for a patch to allow me to play the game without crashes to desktop.  I've tried just about every driver known to humanity, turning SLI on and off, reinstalling Direct X, and I still can't play.  I've got an Alienware 17x with 4GB, 280M cards in SLI, Vista 64 and I can't get the game to run for very long before a CTD happens.  Love the game, but not the crashes.  I'm thinking now it may have something to do with the sound drivers, but I can't find any updated drivers for my machine.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:48 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 12, 2010, 02:57:58 AM

Eh, the engine is done, and we know they're already working on it from other developer statements.  They've got a good tool set to make a sequel quickly too.

it has occurred to me that they should indeed try to get the most mileage from the engine.  it wasn't too bad and since the dev cost would be lower they could probably funnel more money towards the next iteration of the engine.

Because I can,
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:24:28 AM »

Quote from: Fez on June 16, 2010, 04:14:04 PM

I've been waiting for a patch to allow me to play the game without crashes to desktop.  I've tried just about every driver known to humanity, turning SLI on and off, reinstalling Direct X, and I still can't play.  I've got an Alienware 17x with 4GB, 280M cards in SLI, Vista 64 and I can't get the game to run for very long before a CTD happens.  Love the game, but not the crashes.  I'm thinking now it may have something to do with the sound drivers, but I can't find any updated drivers for my machine.

Turn off all but 1 cpu core .

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:12 AM »

Quote from: Kagath on June 13, 2010, 12:11:49 AM

I haven't touched it since beginning of April I think.

I keep meaning to do another playthrough but never get around to it.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:46 AM »

Devs have said that they already fixed a lot of the issues people had with the character art such as faces and animation. That statement was made pretty soon after DA1 released. So it's safe to assume DA2 was in the works right after the team got back from the after wrap vacation.

Bioware has teased a big announcement today. So I'm thinking DA2. Looking forward to it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 01:55:32 PM »

And announced.

Looks like you play an entirely new character, they'll have more info around Gamescom.

Your character starts as a destitute refugee and works his way up to the ruler of the realm.

Nothing said about importing choices or characters from DA1 though. But DA2 takes place over the course of a decade, so that'll be interesting.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 02:08:13 PM »

VE3D has some info up:

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

# Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
# Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
# Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
# Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
# Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

all I got to say is w00t w00t!

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »

Also more info on Joystiq:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/08/dragon-age-2-revealed-on-game-informer-cover-praise-andraste/

Also, a really big thing that you can see in the GI magazine cover is that they've switched art styles. It looks like they have some serious stylization going on now instead of the semi realistic look they had before. That's a weird change, don't know what to think of that. It will give it more visual identity and allow them to make some art assets more quickly.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 02:16:13 PM »

doesn't GI do their own cover art?  maybe it's just the style they decided to do for it to make it look more exciting.  or else it could be 'the new shit'  icon_twisted

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »

Nope, it really is the look for DA2. They've also posted concept art of a female character (also with a clawed hand like the male character) in the same style.

Keep in mind though, the concept art for the original dragon age had much more stylization then the final product, and I think that style was lost in DA1's push for realistic graphics. The current DA2 art shown is slightly more stylized than original DA1 art, it's in a solid gouache painting color style, definitely not cartoonish. Kind of like a mid way between DA1's realism and, say, Prince of Persia 2008.

I'm all for stylization since it helps to give games a more distinctive look. And it's way, way easier for developers to work in a stylized way. That final 10% polish to get things looking right in full realistic game art practically doubles the art asset creation time, not to mention adds more processing and memory overhead. This could mean we'll have even better character customization in DA2, and it would be easier to make a character that looks good.

However, it's going to be weird to see how past characters look in DA2.

Edit: Uh oh, took a look at a bigger shot of the character art, it looks way more cartoon-like. Not old style wacky cartoons, but more like the recent high end american anime stuff like Batman Gotham Knights and even Avatar, but with more shading and darker tones. But, my statements above still stand. Bring on the new art style, so long as the gameplay is good.

And, of course, bring back Leliana, Morgan, Allistair, and even Wynne if that old bat is still alive. slywink
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:29:06 PM by Turtle » Logged
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »

I hope the graphics are better on 360 this time around. Gameplay wise I thought it was superior compared to the PC, you
get more attached to your characters when the viewpoint is close. Nevermind the couch effect smile

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 02:32:53 PM »

I kind of have to agree. As much as enjoyed the strategic overhead view of the PC version, you'd often just see and treat them like generic units.

Even though a close in camera (which necessitates more actiony controls) has its own issues, you react more to things.

I suspect PC players won't even get the choice to pull back the camera this time.

Let's hope that they at least keep the modding aspects on the PC version, because I suspect one of the big reasons why they went with this art style was to make it easier run on aging console architecture. 512mb is a serious limit for any RPG.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 02:48:44 PM »

I didn't really use the overhead camera, but I did enjoy they fact that PC modders were able to fix some of the shortcomings and bugs before they managed to get patches out.  the extra storage mod in the camp was very nice, and the possibility of getting that again automatically rules out the console version for me.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 03:40:15 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on July 08, 2010, 02:32:53 PM

Let's hope that they at least keep the modding aspects on the PC version, because I suspect one of the big reasons why they went with this art style was to make it easier run on aging console architecture. 512mb is a serious limit for any RPG.

I hope they do too, that way if people don't like the art style then hopefully some people can re-texture it like they've done with DA1.

Because I can,
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 08, 2010, 02:08:13 PM

VE3D has some info up:

Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

# Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
# Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
# Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
# Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
# Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

all I got to say is w00t w00t!

All that is well and good, but will I ever be able to "finish" my romance with Alistair or not?!?!!   icon_twisted
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »

more from Joystiq.  looks like it has already been delayed since the insert in Awakening said February and now they're saying March  icon_lol

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 11:59:40 PM »

after the first game it looks like people aren't too happy with the idea of no multiple origins.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 02:47:53 AM »

Not surprising.

Sad to see it go, but the realities of high end RPG development means that things eventually get cut, or else you end up with 5 year development cycles like the original DA.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 03:37:32 AM »

I really enjoyed DA and will certainly be IN for the sequel, but am I the only one really disappointed that you don't continue with your character from the first game? I anticipated a big save game import ala Mass Effect 2. Of course it would be a bit more complicated due to the different character options, but still, the main things saved would be your decisions over the main plot of the game. Also, it certainly seemed like some uh... personal decisions/hanging plot thread in the main game would carry over into the 2nd... or maybe they were resolved in DLC...?

Quick Edit: In fact, I thought that was the whole point of the first game being called "Origins". As in you create the origin of your character that you would play through the series as...

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 04:49:11 AM »

Quote from: JCC on July 09, 2010, 03:37:32 AM

I really enjoyed DA and will certainly be IN for the sequel, but am I the only one really disappointed that you don't continue with your character from the first game? I anticipated a big save game import ala Mass Effect 2. Of course it would be a bit more complicated due to the different character options, but still, the main things saved would be your decisions over the main plot of the game. Also, it certainly seemed like some uh... personal decisions/hanging plot thread in the main game would carry over into the 2nd... or maybe they were resolved in DLC...?

Quick Edit: In fact, I thought that was the whole point of the first game being called "Origins". As in you create the origin of your character that you would play through the series as...

I'm not disappointed at all.  For one thing, it was very possible for your main character to die at the end of the game.  What do you do then?  No one ever said Dragon Age was going to be a trilogy or anything, they always said it was going to be a new fantasy setting.  The whole point, and they were not secretive about it, was that the games were not going to be direct sequels to each other.  Another thing is that once your main character defeats a demi-god and saves the world, what are you going to do next that's anywhere near as epic? 

Now, given that it sounds like (from what's been revealed) that this takes place relatively quickly after the events of the first game I do hope and expect they will incorporate at least some of what happened, even if they have to go the KOTOR 2 route and have someone ask you some questions in-game.

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 05:26:55 AM »

I was also looking forward to seeing where my characters relationship with Leiliana might go.  of course there's always the chance they might revisit the Origins storyline with another game since this is a franchise.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 08:25:24 AM »

A lot of people think "Orgins" refers to the origin of Morrigan's child, though the devs said it has multiple meanings, such as the different origins you could choose in the first game as well, being the first game in the franchise, and being a reference to Bioware own "orgins" in fantasy RPGs. In fact, a lot of people thought the Hawke character was meant to be that child until the devs said that was not the case since the game doesn't take place that long after the events of DAO, though it does take place over a 10 year period of time. 

- American Dad
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

I hope there's at least some reference to the child this time around, otherwise I'm going to forget who sired the bastard.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 04:22:19 PM »

Yeah the whole thing with Morrigan's child was creepy-in a good way. I would hope that that part of the story is continued in some way. But if you aren't importing a save from Origins, I can't see how that would fit in.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM »

My wild-ass guess right now would be that you'll encounter Morrigan and her young child in some capacity in DA 2, with the child growing up and eventually becoming the main villain of DA 3.

- Ash
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 06:31:45 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on July 09, 2010, 04:40:00 PM

My wild-ass guess right now would be that you'll encounter Morrigan and her young child in some capacity in DA 2, with the child growing up and eventually becoming the main villain of DA 3.

- Ash

There's a white haired mage in one of the two concept art pages released so far, who also appears on the Game Informer extended cover, who a lot of people are speculating is an older Morrigan.  I could see her as a potential companion in the new game, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the other companions from the first game make an appearance as well.

- American Dad
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: