http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 08:36:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hawke's Adventure (formerly know as Dragon Age II) - Impressions! Mods!  (Read 42045 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 03, 2010, 09:46:24 PM »

There's going to be a facebook mini game coming soon, with unlocks for DA2 kinda like that flash game for DA:O.

link!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2010, 09:23:47 AM »

Worthplaying has some new screenshots, and these look a lot better than the others that have been released.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2010, 09:30:08 AM »

I really wish Steam would get off their Arses and put up the Signature edition for pre-order.

oh, and some gameplay plus screenshots.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 09:35:41 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2010, 06:47:06 PM »

Dedicated PC gamer here. Don't really care about the loss of overhead view.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2010, 07:01:46 PM »

Eirogamer interview where they talk a bit about DA2.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:33 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 08, 2010, 06:47:06 PM

Has this even been confirmed for the PC version yet?  I didn't use it exclusively but liked to zoom way out on occasion to get a feel for the whole 'battlefield'.  Espically when fighting a group of mages who immediatly scattered to the four corners.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2010, 09:37:22 PM »

Joystiq had a hands on with the opening.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 08, 2010, 09:20:33 PM

Has this even been confirmed for the PC version yet?  I didn't use it exclusively but liked to zoom way out on occasion to get a feel for the whole 'battlefield'.  Espically when fighting a group of mages who immediatly scattered to the four corners.

As much as I desperately want the overhead view from the first game, I'd give it up in a second if it meant getting rid of the glass cannon mages. Those were so bad for me that if I was reviewing the game I'd pull a full 10 percentiles off the score because of them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:38 PM »

"if you weren't careful in Origins, you could kind of end up in this branching situation where you have 1,000 quests open and it'd be very easy to lose your way." This new act system will give players the freedom to do things within each act, but when an act concludes, it could jump forward a year, sometimes more. This way, it's "easier for the game to stay cohesive," Darrah said.

I don't think I ever felt overwhelmed in DA1 as far as quests went.  I certainly think he's overexaggerating by a good bit with that 1000 quests open by at least 900, maybe 950.

Because I can,
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 08, 2010, 09:20:33 PM

Agreed...in a large battle the over-the-shoulder view just isn't very effective...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »

Another cool thing in the joystiq article is that they're re-vampng the rogue class, making it feel less like half warrior/half thief and making it stand on it's own  thumbsup

Because I can,
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 09, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 08, 2010, 10:02:26 PM

I'd give it up in a second if it meant getting rid of the glass cannon mages. Those were so bad for me that if I was reviewing the game I'd pull a full 10 percentiles off the score because of them.

What is a glass cannon mage?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2010, 07:07:47 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on November 09, 2010, 06:39:24 AM

I'd give it up in a second if it meant getting rid of the glass cannon mages. Those were so bad for me that if I was reviewing the game I'd pull a full 10 percentiles off the score because of them.

What is a glass cannon mage?

Imagine a cannon, made of glass - this is how mages have been depicted many times in games. Deals insane damage but shatters (dies) at the first blow.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2010, 08:15:10 AM »

From a graphical standpoint, EA and BioWare are aiming for less disparity. The previous game looked great on the PC, but those playing the console versions complained. In the sequel, EA is hoping there won't be such a dramatic difference in graphics between the platforms. "This time, we're able to build more to each platform specifically, so it looks good on all three platforms," Darrah said. "On the PC, we're trying to keep it as close to what we had in Origins. I think, ultimately, Origins on the PC is closer to where it wants to be than Origins on the console was. And we're trying to get the console to where it wants to be without doing undue damage to the PC version."

so we get the dumbed down graphics because consoles kiddies cried!

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2010, 08:42:29 AM »

yeah - the game is sounding better and better...

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:33 AM »

Yeah, far fewer cheese wheels lying around is such a terrible thing...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2010, 09:33:33 AM

you may take my different origin stories, but you will never take my... CHEESE WHEELS!

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 09, 2010, 09:33:33 AM

I hope its okay that I am of the opinion that dumping the game down towards console version of DA both in terms of whats possible in the game, and now graphics as well, is a bad move, is okay?

If you think this is great, fine - I dont.

Streamlining isnt always good - actually, in many cases, especially in games like RPGs, it its a bad thing. Less isnt always more.

An example is Gothic 4 of what is currently being done with RPGs, another is Thief4 where an hours play had around 10 percent sneaking - the rest was a standup, liniear fps game.

So, if I'm being pessimistic about this game, and what Bioware is doing, there is ample reason to do so. I tried the console version, and it was horrible compared to the PC version.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2010, 10:09:38 AM »

Exactly! The consequence in Dragon Age was that whenever an enemy mage appeared, any semblance of tactics went out the window and your only goal had to be to kill that mage as quickly as possible. I find that kind of approach to game magic archaic and frustrating. I'd rather have mages present a different kind of challenge from other enemies instead of being powerful enough to wipe out your entire party before you can even reach them.

Look at the approach D&D 4th Edition has to wizards, for example. They used to be glass cannons in earlier editions and as a result completely dominated the battlefield at higher levels, making other classes more or less obsolete. In 4E they instead take on the role of battlefield control. Their forte is to damage many enemies at once, or present enemies with debilitating effects such as slowness, dizziness, and similar things. They don't present much of a challenge on their own, but combined with a balanced group they can manipulate the battlefield in such a way as to present a better tactical situation for their allies, removing flexibility from the enemy in the process. I really can't even begin to explain how much more fun and interesting this makes combat.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »

don't worry razgon, you're not alone. Bioware is falling quite fast. Sadly, after ME3 I don't see myself buying another bioware title again.

Consoles ruined shooters, save a few and now RPGs. Fucking stupid as shit. We need another video game crash and reset this industry asap.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2010, 02:42:10 PM »

As much as I desperately want the overhead view from the first game, I'd give it up in a second if it meant getting rid of the glass cannon mages. Those were so bad for me that if I was reviewing the game I'd pull a full 10 percentiles off the score because of them.

How do you accomplish this without them being super hero like?  I am using Wynne a ton in my playthrough and she has died the least amount of times compared to everyone else.  She is never near the action as her spells have some nice range on them, plus the stone armour is nice.  Same with Morrigan, though she has less range with her offensive stuff (at least how I have built her).  However if she gets bogged down I just shapeshift her to a bear.  High damage classes always suck at taking damage, there has to be a trade off somewhere or you might as well just have a big WIN button to push.

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 09, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 09, 2010, 09:57:14 AM

An example is Gothic 4 of what is currently being done with RPGs, another is Thief4 where an hours play had around 10 percent sneaking - the rest was a standup, liniear fps game.

Thief 4?  icon_wink

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 02:42:10 PM

How do you accomplish this without them being super hero like?  I am using Wynne a ton in my playthrough and she has died the least amount of times compared to everyone else.  She is never near the action as her spells have some nice range on them, plus the stone armour is nice.  Same with Morrigan, though she has less range with her offensive stuff (at least how I have built her).  However if she gets bogged down I just shapeshift her to a bear.  High damage classes always suck at taking damage, there has to be a trade off somewhere or you might as well just have a big WIN button to push.

I think you misunderstand me. I don't want mages tougher (well actually I do, but see the next point), I want them to be more balanced with the rest of the classes. As it is in Dragon Age, a mage can easily one- or two-shot your party members, dealing damage to ALL of them at once. They deal way too much damage while also causing secondary effects (such as the vastly overpowered fireball with its massive damage, pushback AND knockdown, or the cone of cold... well, you know how bad that one is). I say limit the damage mages can do. If a mage can do light to medium damage to a large amount of enemies at once, that's more than enough. Leave the high damage output to classes that only affect one or two targets at a time, preferably at close range where the risk equals the reward. Make ignoring the enemy mage a choice that is just as viable tactically as ignoring the enemy fighter, only with different kinds of consequences.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 09, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

I played DA all the way through on 360 and am about 10 hours in on PC.  The lack of an isometric view is a pretty minor issue for me.  I was initially very excited to be able to play with that view on PC, but find myself actually using it very little.  The default over-the-shoulder view seems to work best.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 09, 2010, 04:09:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2010, 03:11:32 PM

Thief 4?  icon_wink

yes - Thief 4...why?

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2010, 04:11:57 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 09, 2010, 04:09:07 PM

Thief 4?  icon_wink

yes - Thief 4...why?

not sure if you're being serious or not, but just in case.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2010, 04:11:57 PM

Thief 4?  icon_wink

yes - Thief 4...why?

http://nofrag.com/2010/nov/07/36150/ - its an hours playthrough by these guys that I'm talking about.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 09, 2010, 04:13:45 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2010, 04:11:57 PM

Thief 4?  icon_wink

yes - Thief 4...why?

http://nofrag.com/2010/nov/07/36150/ - its an hours playthrough by these guys that I'm talking about.

gotcha.  It sounded like you had already played it the way you worded it.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:15 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 09, 2010, 03:32:22 PM

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 02:42:10 PM

I think you misunderstand me. I don't want mages tougher (well actually I do, but see the next point), I want them to be more balanced with the rest of the classes. As it is in Dragon Age, a mage can easily one- or two-shot your party members, dealing damage to ALL of them at once. They deal way too much damage while also causing secondary effects (such as the vastly overpowered fireball with its massive damage, pushback AND knockdown, or the cone of cold... well, you know how bad that one is). I say limit the damage mages can do. If a mage can do light to medium damage to a large amount of enemies at once, that's more than enough. Leave the high damage output to classes that only affect one or two targets at a time, preferably at close range where the risk equals the reward. Make ignoring the enemy mage a choice that is just as viable tactically as ignoring the enemy fighter, only with different kinds of consequences.

While Mages can sometimes (use resistence gear) one or two shot you, they can also be just as quickly neutralizied.  Use stuns and knockdwons on them to prevent them from ever casting.  also, you should never try and fight them in a small tight group, spread out and use range to nullify the area effect.  Once you know how to take them down, it's quite easy. 

morlac00 on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2010, 06:35:22 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on November 09, 2010, 11:30:28 AM

don't worry razgon, you're not alone. Bioware is falling quite fast. Sadly, after ME3 I don't see myself buying another bioware title again.

too bad they didn't just stick with PC's  icon_lol

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 06:33:15 PM

While Mages can sometimes (use resistence gear) one or two shot you, they can also be just as quickly neutralizied.  Use stuns and knockdwons on them to prevent them from ever casting.  also, you should never try and fight them in a small tight group, spread out and use range to nullify the area effect.  Once you know how to take them down, it's quite easy. 

Yeah, you just emphasized my point. Thank you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2010, 06:50:50 PM »

from EA Showcase London.

Because I can,
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 09, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »

I know exactly what you're talking about Tilt, but I'm wondering how they would accomplish that kind of balancing in a world where they very clearly put mages on the top of the balance pecking order based on the lore.  In other words, mages are meant to be insanely powerful in this world, feared, and reacted to exactly as you described...priority target that needs to be dealt with or the group dies.  Even in the really cool trailer for DA (where the party npcs look nothing like the in game models) the PC rallies his group and orders them to take down the emissary asap, when faced with hordes of baddies.  Heck, mages are rounded up (Warhammer 40k style) and locked away in the tower for the rest of their lives...or until they are safely tamed, so to speak.   

My easiest and fastest playthrough of DA was as a mage.  It was also fun, although a little easy compared to life as a melee character in DA.  So at least they made the same imbalance of power available to the player  icon_smile

I guess they could make mage spells in DA2 oriented more towards crowd control, but people love blowing stuff up and melting bad guys...or exploding bad guys with blood magic.   
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 09, 2010, 07:54:37 PM »

They're talking about going the same route like they did with the Cerebus Network for DA2.

Because I can,
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 09, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 09, 2010, 06:38:30 PM

While Mages can sometimes (use resistence gear) one or two shot you, they can also be just as quickly neutralizied.  Use stuns and knockdwons on them to prevent them from ever casting.  also, you should never try and fight them in a small tight group, spread out and use range to nullify the area effect.  Once you know how to take them down, it's quite easy.  

NM reread your points and I guess I did Tongue

I think the problem is that all the AI Mages in Dragon Age are damage dealers for the most part and go rather light on the buffs/debuffs aspect.  Yo ucan certainly create a 'support' mage but I have yet to really encounter one out in the wilds.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:13:14 PM by morlac » Logged

morlac00 on PSN
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 11, 2010, 08:02:33 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 09, 2010, 08:09:51 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 09, 2010, 06:38:30 PM

While Mages can sometimes (use resistence gear) one or two shot you, they can also be just as quickly neutralizied.  Use stuns and knockdwons on them to prevent them from ever casting.  also, you should never try and fight them in a small tight group, spread out and use range to nullify the area effect.  Once you know how to take them down, it's quite easy.  

NM reread your points and I guess I did Tongue

I think the problem is that all the AI Mages in Dragon Age are damage dealers for the most part and go rather light on the buffs/debuffs aspect.  Yo ucan certainly create a 'support' mage but I have yet to really encounter one out in the wilds.

Compared to some of the mages you run into in BG1 & 2 the mages in DOA are fairly easy to take down....but then I always thought they over did it in the BG series....
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #236 on: November 11, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 11, 2010, 08:02:33 PM

Compared to some of the mages you run into in BG1 & 2 the mages in DOA are fairly easy to take down....but then I always thought they over did it in the BG series....

Yeah, I'm not mentioning those games for a reason. They're from a different age of game design and archaic in more ways than one when it comes to how the rules are used. Having said that, unless my memory is completely off, mages were (mostly) difficult in the BG games because they artificially gave them instant immunity spells at the start of combat, forcing you to use various means of dispelling to even damage them in the first place. The spells they cast weren't (usually) as powerful as the ones you are subjected to in Dragon Age.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 11, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »

I do seem to remember one of the most difficult fights in Bg1 was the mage you meet at the Inn at the beginning of the game, since he instantly casts magic missiles at you, usually killed you outright

A new one
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on November 11, 2010, 09:10:12 PM

Yeah, I'm not mentioning those games for a reason. They're from a different age of game design and archaic in more ways than one when it comes to how the rules are used. Having said that, unless my memory is completely off, mages were (mostly) difficult in the BG games because they artificially gave them instant immunity spells at the start of combat, forcing you to use various means of dispelling to even damage them in the first place. The spells they cast weren't (usually) as powerful as the ones you are subjected to in Dragon Age.

There so far has been no need to use dis-spelling spells in DOA ( i am about 3/4 thru the game). The strategy is when you run into a spellcaster...take him down first and fast. Then worry about the other guys.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2010, 05:34:50 AM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 12, 2010, 12:36:34 AM

Quote from: TiLT on November 11, 2010, 09:10:12 PM

There so far has been no need to use dis-spelling spells in DOA ( i am about 3/4 thru the game). The strategy is when you run into a spellcaster...take him down first and fast. Then worry about the other guys.

Yes, I mentioned the dispelling as something unique for BG compared to DA. They compensated in DA by pumping up the spell power, which made things different (and in my opinion, considerably worse).
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: