http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:27:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Game Issues Thread  (Read 9278 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »

Wow, that's your build?  That's awesome!

I use the Ice and Fire combo.  Cone of Ice to freeze enemies, then a fire bomb to blow them up, has a decent chance of just shattering lower level enemies.
Elmo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2009, 09:30:01 PM »

Anyone running the game on a P4 3.0 GHz cpu?  That is below min specs which is why I'm asking.

We don't stop playing games because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing games - Anon.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2009, 02:59:11 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 06, 2009, 08:18:23 PM

Quote from: Alefroth on November 06, 2009, 06:39:14 PM

Quote from: snoleopard on November 05, 2009, 10:03:39 PM

I posted this in the Dragon Age game thread, but thought I'd try it here. I'm 'at the moment' playing the single player only. I got my DLC finally. Now, when I play, the message 'can't connect to Dragon Age server' keeps popping up repeatedly, every 3-4 minutes, and it's getting very irritating. I've tried all that I can think of, but nothing has worked. I really don't have any idea how to fix this. My internet connection is always on while I'm on my computer, but this has never happened before. Am I supposed to do something before starting the game? I tried signing in at the site itself, then starting the game, I looked to see anything that would sign me in before I play, but don't see anything. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Do you login from the main menu? Does it say 'logged in' in the lower left corner of the main menu?

Ale

Same thing is happening to me.  I log in from the main menu and it does say logged in in the lower left corner.  It's irritating as shit.

Ike, I found the answer. Clear the cache under Repair in config.

More info here:
http://daforums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=702572&forum=146&sp=15
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2009, 12:19:17 PM »

Nope.  Still happening.  Tried that, and tried adding a firewall exception.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2009, 01:06:06 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 07, 2009, 12:19:17 PM

Nope.  Still happening.  Tried that, and tried adding a firewall exception.

Weird. Not only did it work for me. I got another copy of the Tome that raises your stats. I bet I could just keep doing it too!

BTW, I did the rename trick, but kept the old files after I cleared the cache since I was in Warden's keep and didn't want it to bug on me.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2009, 03:16:40 PM »

What's the rename trick?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »

Found a minor (but still somewhat irritating bug) in the Codex in relationship to the main quest in Redcliffe.

Spoiler for Hiden:
So, I saved Connor by going to the Circle of Mages for help, thereby preventing Isolde from needing to sacrifice her life so I could enter the Fade. However, the Codex incorrectly reports afterwards that Isolde did have to sacrifice her life to save Connor in both her and Connor's codex entry. I am hopeful this is just a minor bug that only shows up in the Codex, but it's sort of irritating that it logs this info incorrectly.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »

Ike, I found that if I don't log on, and the logged in button says 'not logged in', that I don't get that message anymore. Since I already got my download content, I'm good with not bein logged in while playing if it means I don't get that message anymore.

The quiet one.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

Heh, well, that sounds like it would work.  I guess there's no benefit to me to being logged on, so long as I can use my DLC.  Thanks, snolepoard, I'll give it a try.  Will it let you play with the DLC if you don't log in?  Or do you have to log in and then log out?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:59:06 PM by IkeVandergraaf » Logged

Gamertag = IkeV
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 10:21:05 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 06, 2009, 09:00:23 PM

To be honest though, the community is faster at things than any official support.  There's a lot of people (like myself) who enjoy troubleshooting problems even if we don't enjoy the problem itself.

Minor derail from this thread, but this just reminded me of my recent experience with HP support.  I ordered my netbook with a Wireless N upgrade, which wouldn't work after I installed Windows 7.  So I send in a request saying I can't find a driver for Win 7.  Here's the highlights from their response:

"The cause of the issue is the absence of Windows 7 compatible wireless-N network card driver." (which of course I already mentioned in my original request)

"Windows 7 is too resource heavy to run on the netbook and so HP recommends using only the default operating system"

I reply and tell them resources are not an issue, I've already upgraded the RAM.  I ask if they can tell me the make of the Wireless N card so I can find the driver myself.  They ignore this and tell me:

"Anthony, as per your response I would like to inform you that we have no expertise for window 7"  (btw Anthony was the name of the original customer rep lol - I love that they say they have "no expertise" in an OS that was at the time releasing in a week).

I ask again for the make of the card, and I get:

"I would like to inform you that as it is a customised product we are unable to retieve the information at this moment."  (so they don't even know what is being installed as 1 of 2 options in their netbook products?)

That same day a guy in a forum posts both the name of the card and the location of the driver - which is on their own FTP site, no less!!!  retard  After I bitch them out in email for fun, they tell me:

"Richard, please try to understand that we do have some limitation in which we need to work. I hope you can understand our limitations."

I wanted to tell them their "limitations" were likely from being a bunch of worthless idiots, but I thought that might be a bit uncool.
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 10:33:50 PM »

Is there a way to play the game without having to have the DVD in the drive? If I try without the DVD in I get a message that says it cant locate the DVD.

Thanks
bob
Bcarle
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Jag on November 06, 2009, 03:40:54 PM

Tough DLC question. I have most of my DLC downloaded, however 2 rings are showing up under the 'Downloading' tab in-game. They are currently both at 0% and don't move. I had no problem downloading any other content (Wardens Keep, Blood Armor, etc) so I doubt it's a firewall/anti-virus/admin issue. One of the rings is the memory band.

Any ideas?

I had a simlar issue and it turned out that the Dragon Age service   found when running  services.msc     from the run command was set to manual start. After I started it the DCLs downloaded and installed with no problem.

bob
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 12:01:05 AM »

Well, for the first time since I downloaded the game on release day I am able to run it without using a modified exe.  EA finally got back to me today and added a new CE key to my EA account (which I needed) and also authorized a download using the EA download manager (which I didn't need).  The only thing I had to do was run daorigins.exe as administrator (win7 32 bit) and once it signed in that first time it's working again.  This is version 1.1 downloaded using impulse. 
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 05:38:38 AM »

Quote from: Bcarle on November 11, 2009, 10:33:50 PM

Is there a way to play the game without having to have the DVD in the drive? If I try without the DVD in I get a message that says it cant locate the DVD.

Thanks
bob

You can probably find a NO-CD crack out there already

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 03:47:38 PM »

Quote from: snoleopard on November 11, 2009, 07:48:36 PM

Ike, I found that if I don't log on, and the logged in button says 'not logged in', that I don't get that message anymore. Since I already got my download content, I'm good with not bein logged in while playing if it means I don't get that message anymore.

What the game seems to be doing (and I have no idea if that's what's causing your issues) is connecting to their DLC server to verify if your account is really supposed to have all the DLC's that you have installed. Maybe that's the source of your "couldn't connect" errors. Unfortunately, if it is, it might prevent you from using DLC's that you have downloaded. Or maybe it will just skip authetication if you are not logged in.

Yesterday I've experienced a weird (and funny) behaviour. I was visiting some NPC at some house and saved right in front of the house. So the next day I start the game, load up the save and enter the house. A cutscene starts and I notice Alistair wears nothing but his undies. I thought to myself that it was odd of him to undress before entering some old dude's house but whatever floats his boat. After talking to the NPC, I left his house and noticed that Alistair is still naked. That's when I thought that maybe Alistair is not just being a weird nudist and maybe something is wrong. He was supposed to be wearing armor I've got from completing Warden's Keep DLC, so apparently at the time when I loaded the save, the game failed to authenticate the DLC somehow and striped Alistair naked.

I've seen reports of people losing the DLC stuff (armor, weapons, storage chest) permanently once they save the game without realising that some stuff is missing. They needed to hunt down a much earlier save and reload it.

Just something to be aware of.

[edit] Forgot to mention that all I had to do to stop Alistair from scaring villagers with his undies is to reload the "pre-house" save and he was dressed again. My party will never look at him the same though.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:00:34 PM by StriderGG » Logged
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on November 12, 2009, 05:38:38 AM

Quote from: Bcarle on November 11, 2009, 10:33:50 PM

Thanks
bob

You can probably find a NO-CD crack out there already
PREFACE: I don't use no-CD cracks because I'm a stickler for those types of things ... and I'm afraid doing so will result in black helicopters suddenly hovering over my house, my face behind bars being plastered on billboards, and that family and friends will shun me for the rest of my years even though I bought a legal copy of the game.  Okay, now that's out of the way -

I would be a bit concerned with the game's login/validation service for DLC potentially getting thrown off with a crack.  I haven't heard an uproar from players who had to resort to a crack to be able to play their game wit the initial release troubles, but it still may be something to consider before going that route.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 11:11:05 PM »

My support ticket with EA about my key remapping and mouse wheel issues got a reply today, which included this nugget:

As for the mouse issue, we are currently investigate the cause of this issue and it may have been corrected in the patch that was released today (11/12/2009). Let me know if the patch that was released today did or did not correct these issues.

Either he's high, or a patch new patch should be here very soon... (I don't see one yet...)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »

Did Impulse ever fix the last patch?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 11:32:16 PM

They apparently have an update to 1.01 going up later on this evening, or at least they aim to get it up this evening.  "Zoomba" at the Impulse forums confirmed they at least have one of the issues in hand for regular edition owners (the .par file).
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2009, 01:47:28 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 12, 2009, 11:32:16 PM

They released an update yesterday that fixed everything for me.

- Ash
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2009, 06:22:06 AM »

It's fine now for me as well.  Although I did just reinstall, but even the installation worked fine.

This is impulse's first big game release and it's a relatively small company (relatively).  They also have a lot of good will from their past work for me so I'm willing to let this slide so long as they learn from this experience.
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2009, 01:23:07 PM »

Agreed, Turtle (it's also now working fine for me, as well).  While Sins was a huge hit, and to a lesser extent so was Galciv 2, those were not AAA titles from huge companies.  I think this will be a learning experience both for Stardock and the EA's of the world - while Impulse had more than their fair share of problems, let's not forget the Steam patch that broke the install for a day and the overall issues connecting the DLC to a person's actual game plus the seemingly pointless step of creating a Bioware account.  Thankfully the game is so good that I think most people are going to be able to look past the technical issues in the long run.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2009, 03:37:16 PM »

So I installed the 1.01 patch since I figured that EA must have been talking about that patch when they asked if the patch released yesterday fixed my issue...

It didn't.

And now 3 or 4 of Shale's skills in the quick bar don't show a description or title, just subheaders, but with no data...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 13, 2009, 03:37:16 PM

So I installed the 1.01 patch since I figured that EA must have been talking about that patch when they asked if the patch released yesterday fixed my issue...

It didn't.

And now 3 or 4 of Shale's skills in the quick bar don't show a description or title, just subheaders, but with no data...

The support person was probably referring to the beta patch that is currently making the rounds- I know some people who have reported issues have been approached by Bioware to test it. 
snoleopard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2009, 07:41:22 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 11, 2009, 09:54:01 PM

Heh, well, that sounds like it would work.  I guess there's no benefit to me to being logged on, so long as I can use my DLC.  Thanks, snolepoard, I'll give it a try.  Will it let you play with the DLC if you don't log in?  Or do you have to log in and then log out?

I've had no problems using my DLC. It's there, the rings work, the armor is there, and I just got high enough strength level to use it. Sorry it took so long to reply, family home over the weekend.

Edit to add: Sorry, I should have thought to say that I don't have the DLC of the quests and different areas that people can buy, so I don't know for sure if they'd work or not if the game isn't connected.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 08:01:37 PM by snoleopard » Logged

The quiet one.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2009, 08:19:54 PM »

Well, fired up at lunch and Shale's skill descriptions were back...

I also tried what EA suggested, and hit 'restore default' on the controls, and while remapping the keys didn't work this time for the camera controls, hitting 'invert x axis' for the mouse fixed the direction of the keys.  Brilliant (and yes, I had tried it before to no avail).
map

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2009, 12:21:12 AM »

well, I don't know if I have a problem or not. It tells me my Stone Golem content is downloaded and I go to the pass and get the control rod, but then the golem's location never appears on the map. Is there another flag I have to trip?

Save America, shoot your television.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »

South west quarter of the map... should be yellow...

Are you sure you did enough of the conversation to get the actual location?  I would imagine if you got the control rod then yes, but...
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2009, 02:09:37 AM »

Quote from: map on November 16, 2009, 12:21:12 AM

well, I don't know if I have a problem or not. It tells me my Stone Golem content is downloaded and I go to the pass and get the control rod, but then the golem's location never appears on the map. Is there another flag I have to trip?

After you get the rod there should be a new town opened up just south of the pass.
map

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2009, 02:14:43 AM »

which pass?

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2009, 02:47:10 AM »

map

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2009, 01:40:42 PM »

Thanks, nope that hasn't shown up. I wonder what I do now.

Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 16, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »

LOL, sounds a lot like "A land called Honnalee..."  Do you meet up with little Jackie Paper there?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2009, 11:36:03 PM »

I have a weird shale issue now...

if I talk to him in camp, it does a number of strange things:

- it transports me under the scenery, and I can't get out
 - it gives me the dialog options from when I first attempted to activate shale in Honnleath (e.g. speak the words and try to activate the golem, or do nothing)
 - if I activate the golem, then it says that nothing happens, the words must be wrong, it gives me the stone prisoner quest again, and then it instantly marks the quest as complete.

Is anyone able to talk to him in camp?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2009, 02:33:05 AM »

i've now hit a glitch where i can't finish the main Dalish quest.  every time i win the final battle, the game slows to an absolute crawl during the cutscenes and eventually stops responding completely.  i thought it was a result of the memory leak initially because i had been playing for a couple hours, but even a reboot of my computer and fresh start on the game with it loading at the beginning of that battle won't do the trick.  everything in combat is smooth, but the cutscenes slow down and freeze every time.  this was my first major mission and it looks like i'm not able to finish... mad
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 05:30:55 AM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2009, 05:04:32 AM »

Shale works just fine for me. Been dragging him around with me ever since I got him too. Have you loaded in any non-standard mods or anything else yet?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »

Nope.  I was able to take him with me on quests and stuff... I just can't talk to him in camp.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2009, 07:31:55 PM »

Something is definitely borked then - he works 100% like he should for me as of last time I played (this morning).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 06:39:15 PM »

it looks like i've been hit by another major bug now, in addition to the performance issues i was already having...

in between bouts of massive slowdown, i managed to get in a little playing time last night and leveled up a couple of my characters.  unfortunately, the game has stopped giving me attribute points when i gain a level now.  the first time it happened as my party passed level 8, i thought it was either a fluke or supposed to happen...hit level 9 with multiple characters, still no attribute points, and i pull out the manual to confirm that i should be getting three attribute points with every level.  it's odd because i do gain talents and skills appropriately, but i've now gained two levels with everyone in my party without being given any attribute points. 

i know a lot of people are really enjoying the game, and i really like what i've been able to play so far, but i've now been hit by two major bugs that have pretty much ruined my experience.  thankfully, i haven't invested a ton of time yet (as if ~15 hours isn't a lot), so i may just do a clean reinstall of the game and start fresh to see if that helps...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2009, 02:42:52 AM »

in an attempt to solve my technical issues, i uninstalled DA this afternoon after backing up my character data and started with a fresh install.  i played a little bit with the clean install and everything seemed to be fine, so i decided to try restoring my original character and saves to see what would happen.  i was able to load up my previous game completely intact, with the party camp chest and official DLC active, and played for a couple hours without any problems.  while i don't know if the game will continue running smoothly long term, everything seems to be fine for now.

i still don't have any idea what part of my original install became corrupted to cause so much trouble, but starting with a clean install and restoring my previous game saves seems to be working.  hopefully i won't get hit by the same bug again...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: