http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 09:25:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Countdown  (Read 25525 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2009, 08:27:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2009, 08:15:15 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 05, 2009, 07:47:46 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 05, 2009, 07:35:38 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 05, 2009, 07:26:59 PM

FWIW, you can turn the persistent gore off.  I still have it on but I can see how it could annoy people.  I think it's a nice idea in general and I like the idea of an RPG that updates your character appearance based on your actions (blood, dirt, scars, etc).  I expect this is an area that Bioware and others will continue to iterate and improve on.
well, i'd read that it removes it everywhere except the cut scenes (which, of course, is when i'd like to remove it most), but i'll give it a shot later. thanks...
It's the opposite- still get the gore in-game but it removes the blood spatters from the characters in the cutscenes.  

Yup - the option turns off the bloody splattered mess your characters look like after a fight. I frankly thought it looked dumb (I mean, who wouldn't at least wipe off their face after a battle? Ick.) and turned it off ASAP.

thanks again...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2009, 08:29:45 PM »

Do people really think the graphics are ugly?  I thought I was a graphics whore and I really don't have any problem with DAO.  I'm finding the environments immersive, character detail and animations are nice.  The bonus is that I am running everything on highest with 8X AA.  Probably couldn't do that if they went for pushing the envelope graphics.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »

I can't speak to the console versions but the PC version is quite attractive.  A big portion of that is image quality- it's nice to have a game that can run at 1680x1050 w/ max AA and AF at 60 FPS.  The game isn't doing anything fancy with shaders but some areas are pretty stunning.

It is kind of visually inconsistent though.  I think one of the reviews made a comment that it feels like parts of the game were built five years ago and other parts of the game much more recently.  The Kokari Wilds feel like something out of a 2004 PC game and were bland and muddy.  However Ostagar (or whatever that first major ruin was called) and the Tower looked great. 
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 05, 2009, 08:29:45 PM

Do people really think the graphics are ugly?  I thought I was a graphics whore and I really don't have any problem with DAO.  I'm finding the environments immersive, character detail and animations are nice.  The bonus is that I am running everything on highest with 8X AA.  Probably couldn't do that if they went for pushing the envelope graphics.

Your on the PC the complaints have been about the console versions.  Even so I would say it doesn't look as good as The Witcher on the PC (comparing two RPGs on the same platform)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2009, 08:39:32 PM »

I'd say it looks a little better than the Witcher, actually.  But not by any huge amount. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2009, 09:25:05 PM »

13 hrs until i pick my copy up. icon_mad

its been 2 years this month since i picked up Mass Effect..so i am very thirsty for a Bioware RPG..thankfully i wont have to wait long for the next RPG(about 3 months if that)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2009, 09:59:51 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 05, 2009, 08:29:45 PM

Do people really think the graphics are ugly?

not ugly (ps3) - but quite average, & (as kg mentions) noticeably inconsistent, owing to the developement time. it's not like i'm getting traumatized looking at it smile , but, at least to this point, it's just too nondescript to really draw me in...

i think the word for the game's graphics (at least on console) is 'serviceable' smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:54 PM »

Quote from: onnel on November 05, 2009, 04:29:28 PM

Was that HARD fight the
Spoiler for Hiden:
ogre near the top of the tower?  If so, any hints on how to beat it on HARD (by anyone who has) would be very welcome!

Yep!  That was the very fight!  Glad to hear I wasn't the only one that had a problem.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 05, 2009, 10:55:34 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on November 05, 2009, 07:59:05 PM

Quote from: TiLT on November 05, 2009, 07:43:00 PM

What's with all the spoilers outside of spoiler tags in this thread? If it continues this way I'll just have to ignore the Dragon Age threads until I've completed the game.

I'm pretty much of the same opinion.  People just can't seem to avoid revealing things, even in specific spoiler-free threads.  Even in this thread I had a major plot point spoiled because the post indicated they were going to talk about a section I'd already done but inside the spoiler tag were plot impressions that went beyond that point.

I assume you're referring to my post, where I said I was talking about up to the initiation, and then mentioned a plot element after that.  I do apologize for that, as reading back, it was misleading and was certainly not my intention to do so.

I'll be sure to be more specific in the information revealed with any spoiler tags in the future.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2009, 01:19:01 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 05, 2009, 08:17:48 PM

Tom Chick covers the blood soaked face issue in today's Fidget post.

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/11/dragon_age_do_i_have_something.php

ROFL - nice find. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2009, 01:37:45 AM »

Do you all think this game would be tough for someone that rarely plays RPG's? 

I played Fable 2 and loved it, I also played BG2 on the PC and really enjoyed it (didn't finish it though).

Eco

This is why I ask:

Dragon Age: Origins is not for newbs. Itís not for the RPG-squeamish who could barely handle Mass Effect. It is for serious RPG gamers who will no doubt appreciate BioWare going back to its fantasy RPG roots
From TeamXbox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2009, 01:59:46 AM »

If you could handle BG2 then you should be fine with DA. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2009, 03:05:52 AM »

another hour+, & i think i'm getting the hang of it (tho it's really disorienting playing what's fundamentally a computer game on a console, & i'm thinking i'd be lots more comfortable playing the game via the drawn back camera). will likely be putting it aside for at least a couple upcoming titles, but am no longer thinking of just bagging it, so that's progress, right? smile ...

re: the initiation:

Spoiler for Hiden:
i immediately triggered off the next event by accident (just like i've been accidentally triggering off conversations with my mates every other time i try to snag goodies). will i regret not buying a bunch of potions first?...

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2009, 03:51:22 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on November 06, 2009, 03:05:52 AM

another hour+, & i think i'm getting the hang of it (tho it's really disorienting playing what's fundamentally a computer game on a console, & i'm thinking i'd be lots more comfortable playing the game via the drawn back camera). will likely be putting it aside for at least a couple upcoming titles, but am no longer thinking of just bagging it, so that's progress, right? smile ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
i immediately triggered off the next event by accident (just like i've been accidentally triggering off conversations with my mates every other time i try to snag goodies). will i regret not buying a bunch of potions first?...

Regarding your spoiler, if you're playing on normal difficulty, you should be fine.  If you're playing on hard, you're going to have a hard time.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 06, 2009, 04:58:07 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on November 06, 2009, 03:51:22 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on November 06, 2009, 03:05:52 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Regarding your spoiler, if you're playing on normal difficulty, you should be fine.  If you're playing on hard, you're going to have a hard time.

i'm on normal. thanks!...

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:13 AM »

Question:  A friend of mine read in a review, that the tactical part of the game was gimped on consoles, and that some of the  tough battles consisted of pressing buttons in the correct order - anyone ever heard anything about this?

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 06, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2009, 08:57:13 AM

Question:  A friend of mine read in a review, that the tactical part of the game was gimped on consoles, and that some of the  tough battles consisted of pressing buttons in the correct order - anyone ever heard anything about this?

as in QTE?..i bloody hope not,i hate those

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2009, 09:20:20 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 06, 2009, 08:57:13 AM

I've played for about 10 hours and, while I certainly wouldn't call it "gimped", the console version is slightly more action-oriented. It's still fantastic, just different. Also no signs of any QTE's.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »

Thanks Godhugh...what do you mean by slightly more action-oriented? it still seems like the same game in the reviews I've seen so far actually - especially Tom Hicks take on the ogre fight:

http://fidgit.com/archives/2009/10/dragon_age_pwning_ogres.php

A new one
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »

OKAY, there is something really wrong with the reviews my friend has read... He also said to avoid grapple attacks you'll have to "waggle your joypad", and it has microphone support so that if you scream really loud, you'll get bonuses during gameplay????

Is this for real?? What the heck happened to this game then??

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2009, 09:56:47 AM »

Hey Razgon, I've got this really nice tower in Paris that I need to get rid of. You can buy it for cheap if you want. Deal?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2009, 10:31:11 AM »

Sigh...

appearetly, I WILL buy that tower of TiLT - I have the unfortunate genetic disorder of actually believing what people tell me....

please disregard the last two post with questions...I have some serious questining to do of a former friend of mine!

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »

LOL...for the QTEs i was believing,but the screaming down the mic,i suspected foul play icon_biggrin

i just bought the game and the guide from separate shops,when i bought the guide the guy behind the counter gave me the codes for the:
Dalish Promise Ring and Memory Band
i wasn't expecting them,so it was a nice little addition

good to see the guide has the day 1's DLC included(stone prisoner and Wardens Keep)

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2009, 06:31:15 PM »

Move over Batman: Arkham Asylum, I now have a new GOTY!

I wasn't sure if DAO would live up to the hype but so far it hasn't disappointed.  For the first time since Morrowind, I feel totally immersed in a fantasy world.
KJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2009, 06:53:50 PM »

There is a little QTE-esque feel to it at times though... At least early on for my mage wrt cooldowns.

Circle - Mind Blast
Triangle - Drain Life
Square - Arcane Bolt
Square - Arcane Bolt
Triangle - Drain Life
(repeat)

But not the specific kind of QTE that I believe was being talked about. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »

Know what I don't see in here?  Anyone complaining about how easy DA is on the consoles.   As I said, it's still plenty difficult and you'll die plenty in this game. smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 06, 2009, 08:37:28 PM

Know what I don't see in here?  Anyone complaining about how easy DA is on the consoles.   As I said, it's still plenty difficult and you'll die plenty in this game. smile

Ha!  No, it is definitely not easy on the consoles.  I was playing on hard in order to experience some friendly fire from spells, but I had to drop it to normal for the first 'boss' encounter.  And it wasn't because of the friendly fire or the interf different than the PC.  It was just too hard for the party make-up I had.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2009, 08:57:57 PM »

got about an hour or so in,following the Human Nobleman story(warrior)

certainly enjoying the game,i haven't seen any slow down or frame rate problems yet,i did look out from some kind of broken Castle to the ground below,and the trees looked very Call of Duty 1,LOL...very basic,but the immediate area around you works fine(as others have said,not mindblowing)

the Story really seems to be picking up,and i am slowly getting used to the menus and controls

when levelling up...with the green boxes around some abilities..does that mean you have that,or you are on that?

the tutorial is better than Sacred 2,but still very lacking TBH...the game manual has been a good friend

i named my dog Gromit icon_biggrin

i haven't died yet(hey and got an achievement for it,LOL)..but it hasn't been a walk in the park exactly,i have been very low on health(i think your health recharges)at times...playing on Normal

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2009, 08:57:57 PM

when levelling up...with the green boxes around some abilities..does that mean you have that,or you are on that?

i haven't died yet(hey and got an achievement for it,LOL)..but it hasn't been a walk in the park exactly,i have been very low on health(i think your health recharges)at times...playing on Normal

1) When you level, the green box tells you that you can pick this power for your level up choice. Most skills have a level or a stat requirement, so that's why it's there.

2) Yes, health and mana/stamina recharge outside of combat. And it does so inside of combat too, but very slowly.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2009, 11:07:25 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 06, 2009, 09:16:37 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 06, 2009, 08:57:57 PM

1) When you level, the green box tells you that you can pick this power for your level up choice. Most skills have a level or a stat requirement, so that's why it's there.

2) Yes, health and mana/stamina recharge outside of combat. And it does so inside of combat too, but very slowly.

Mages and Bards have buffs/spells that regen stamina while fighting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I just completed the Warden DLC and part of the Warden Armor Set has Stamina buffs/bonuses.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2009, 11:54:17 PM »

Question for people who have passed the Tower Beacon.  There are spoilers for a quest as well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was progressing the Dog quest.  I did the muzzle, I brought the flower to heal him up, and the guy said to come back later to check up on the dog.  The very next thing to do was the battle.  I stopped playing immediately after waking up from the boss fight.  Did I miss the chance to continue that dog quest?  If so, the game didn't let me know I was going to a part of the game I couldn't go back to, which is quite frustrating....
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 07, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on November 06, 2009, 11:54:17 PM

Question for people who have passed the Tower Beacon.  There are spoilers for a quest as well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was progressing the Dog quest.  I did the muzzle, I brought the flower to heal him up, and the guy said to come back later to check up on the dog.  The very next thing to do was the battle.  I stopped playing immediately after waking up from the boss fight.  Did I miss the chance to continue that dog quest?  If so, the game didn't let me know I was going to a part of the game I couldn't go back to, which is quite frustrating....

Spoiler for Hiden:
I got my dog as part of the Origin story so I am not sure, but what does you quest log say? Is it in the completed or ongoing section?
So far I haven't had any issues with quests completing (even with time spaces) and I have completed close to 20 now.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 07, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 06, 2009, 08:37:28 PM

agreed - the difficulty seems just about right (on normal)...

okay, the good news is, i'm definitely getting the hang of combat. really helped when i switched the menu ring from hold to toggle, & i'm now able to stay on top of things pretty well. it is strange to be playing a game of this type from this perspective, & i may eventually fall back on the solution i used in ff12, especially on bosses, which was to view combat primarily from a ranged fighter's or spellcaster's perspective, cuz melee is just too up-close & personal to take in the bigger picture (aside from checking the portraits)...

the bad news is, i'm becoming a bit bored with the amazing amount of conversation going on (i've reached the point where i've recruited 3 characters, btw). it's not that the writing or voice work's bad or anything (it's very good most of the time), it's just kinda over-whelming smile . i'm hoping that slowing down a bit, now that i've got things somewhat figured out, will fix this... maybe smile ...

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #313 on: November 07, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on November 06, 2009, 11:54:17 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You're perfectly fine. Don't worry about it and keep playing.
Spoiler for Hiden:
For my Origin (Human Mage Magi) I couldn't get the dog earlier either, but the first time I tried to travel to the next 'area' the dog came bounding out of nowhere towards me.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 07, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

need help on Broken Circle..which is pissing me right off disgust

Spoiler for Hiden:
i have been transported to the Fade,and after numerous hours i have opened up the inner sanctum,and then i went to the 3 nightmare worlds on the sides and freed my other party members to get ready for the final fight(you usually persuade them that everything isn't real..or do some fighting for your party member..and then the disappear)

however,they haven't actually joined my party once i freed them,and i am not sure how to get them into my party either....i thought maybe when i went to the boss(sloth i think his name is)they would appear,perhaps in a cut scene,but no joy,i just got my arse handed to me by the boss because i was on my own

tried looking in the menu's etc...i know you can only change party members while at Camp,but i can't get to camp while i am in this dream world

so,how the hell do you get your party members into your actual party again?

the guide doesn't help one bit(pretty much throughout the whole game actually)it just says if you free your party member they will be available for the end fight

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 07, 2009, 11:59:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2009, 08:20:31 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
i have been transported to the Fade,and after numerous hours i have opened up the inner sanctum,and then i went to the 3 nightmare worlds on the sides and freed my other party members to get ready for the final fight(you usually persuade them that everything isn't real..or do some fighting for your party member..and then the disappear)

however,they haven't actually joined my party once i freed them,and i am not sure how to get them into my party either....i thought maybe when i went to the boss(sloth i think his name is)they would appear,perhaps in a cut scene,but no joy,i just got my arse handed to me by the boss because i was on my own

tried looking in the menu's etc...i know you can only change party members while at Camp,but i can't get to camp while i am in this dream world

the guide doesn't help one bit(pretty much throughout the whole game actually)it just says if you free your party member they will be available for the end fight

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's really strange. They just rejoined automatically before the Sloth fight for me. I didn't have to do anything. You might have a bug there.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 08, 2009, 01:20:05 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 07, 2009, 11:59:37 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 07, 2009, 08:20:31 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
That's really strange. They just rejoined automatically before the Sloth fight for me. I didn't have to do anything. You might have a bug there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
yup,had to reload an old game save,unfortunately it meant me redoing nearly 3 hrs,LOL...when i came to the fight again,up they popped behind me when i was talking to the boss

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 08, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »

All my DLC seems to be working, but some of the items have to be purchased from the vendors.

For example, the Helm and the Blood Armor set is at the vendor, but you have to purchase the items.
Is this by design?

Kind of misleading if it is by design.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 08, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »

Hmm, that's strange- I think both of those items just showed up in my inventory after I downloaded them.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: November 08, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »

Some of the items (Blood Armor for example) will just drop into your inventory when they're turned on - others yes, you'll have to purchase.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: