http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:39:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Countdown  (Read 25533 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2009, 09:54:39 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 02, 2009, 09:40:00 PM

well, while the game may be fun on the Xbox , I dont understand the reasoning to make a dumped down version to the consoles - and thats exactly what it seems like this is

Seems like it's an interface issue- the PC interface allows for increased tactical direction so the encounters need to be scaled harder to account for that.  If they kept the difficulty static at the harder section then it would be much more cumbersome for console players to perform the same actions as PC players.  
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM »

indeed, and that makes it a dumped down version of the pc game, right?

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »

Time is actually in issue for me, I never had time to finish BG2 so anything that makes it possible
to see it to it's conclusion is a bonus for me. Fable2 was also called "dumbed down" but to me it was the best game experience
i had so far on 360.

I will get the 360 version just so I can play it in a comfortable sofa and then later PC version to try out cool mods.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2009, 10:03:52 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

Um, yes?  I'm just trying to explain why Bioware felt the need to lower the difficulty a bit.  

These types of interface issues aren't uncommon and it's often the PC version that ends up being easier- for example the case of a FPS that is easier due to mouse look.  It's just that Bioware actually tried to rebalance the game to accomodate both styles of play.  Personally I think they should be commended but I know not everyone sees it that way.  

But given that many reviews of the PC version are citing inconsistent difficulty as a negative, an easier console version may still present a fair challenge to most gamers.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2009, 10:14:42 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2009, 10:03:52 PM

These types of interface issues aren't uncommon and it's often the PC version that ends up being easier- for example the case of a FPS that is easier due to mouse look.  It's just that Bioware actually tried to rebalance the game to accomodate both styles of play.  Personally I think they should be commended but I know not everyone sees it that way. 

For all the times that we PC gamers complain when we just get a simple (read: shitty) port of a console game (read: Borderlands), I personally commend Bioware for making a 'different' game to take advantage of not only PC strengths, but for the average player as well (that had played Bioware games in the distant past).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2009, 10:19:54 PM »

I agree - the pc version seems perfect...why shouldnt the reviews reflect this and the fact that console versions are simply dumped down versions due to inability to make a functional interface that allows the same opportunities as on the pc version? I'm pretty sure it states exactly the same on the back of the pc version and the xbox version. and *that* is what I'm annoyed with.

Essentially, I'll be paying to get less than I could if I went out and bought the xbox version.

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »

so,is it tactical gameplay or tactical view that's in the PC version?...i heard it plays like Final Fantasy 12 with the Gambits,if it plays like that with the game footage i posted on an earlier page(not tactical view) then i am fine with it,don't like the tactical view..even if the console version is dumbed down

the character creation not being in the console versions is an odd decision,i was just expecting a Mass Effect copy on there,but again,if it really isn't in the console versions,its a shame,but i can live without it....i used the default version of Shepherd in ME1

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2009, 10:43:00 PM »

Well, I have both the PC and 360 version of Fallout3(a game I thought would suck btw). I still prefer the 360 version, even though it has less bells & whistles. It is just so much more comfortable to play in a sofa.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2009, 10:46:40 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on November 02, 2009, 10:43:00 PM

Well, I have both the PC and 360 version of Fallout3(a game I thought would suck btw). I still prefer the 360 version, even though it has less bells & whistles. It is just so much more comfortable to play in a sofa.

why what else did Fallout 3 have on the PC version?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2009, 10:54:42 PM »

Am I the only one who thinks Bioware made the wrong call in lowering the difficulty of combat instead of actually fixing the console version so that queued commands ARE kept when you switch characters? I definitely have soured on the console version now, and don't think my PC can handle it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2009, 11:28:06 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 02, 2009, 10:19:54 PM

I agree - the pc version seems perfect...why shouldnt the reviews reflect this and the fact that console versions are simply dumped down versions due to inability to make a functional interface that allows the same opportunities as on the pc version? I'm pretty sure it states exactly the same on the back of the pc version and the xbox version. and *that* is what I'm annoyed with.

Essentially, I'll be paying to get less than I could if I went out and bought the xbox version.

That's ridiculous. How can you say the PC version is perfect when you haven't played it? Especially in light of the glowing impressions of BOTH versions of the game. The game has been tailored to the strengths of each system. That doesn't mean one has been dumbed down. If you prefer a more tactical version, then play PC. If you want to sit on your couch and would enjoy a more action-oriented version, then play the console version.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »

"dumped" down? Don't you guys mean "dumbed" down?

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2009, 11:39:20 PM »

This was necessary partly because the change in the interface, and the way characters shift completely over to AI when you soul-jump to another party member, as opposed to the PC version, where characters retain their command queue and movement orders even after you have selected another party member.

ya count me in with a few other people here that think this is complete bummer frown
not a deal-breaker to be sure im still incredibly excited for the game but why take this out???  it doesnt seem that hard to let me queue up commands, then swap off to someone else and issue a few more specific commands and basically romp around tossing in "my 2cents" every now and then...???
i could even live without movement commands (aside from "moving to the target").  but letting me tell my wizard to fire off two magic missiles then go in for a touch attack (assuming this game has the equivalent of course) only to have him immediately forget it if i switch off to the fighter seems really... annoying

KD stripped down impressions of how much this comes into play perhaps? (i dont want to read your full ones quite yet smile )
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2009, 11:41:32 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 02, 2009, 10:54:42 PM

Am I the only one who thinks Bioware made the wrong call in lowering the difficulty of combat instead of actually fixing the console version so that queued commands ARE kept when you switch characters? I definitely have soured on the console version now, and don't think my PC can handle it.

I think everyone needs to either wait on concrete reviews of both versions tomorrow or try and rent it.  Because all Bioware have stated are that they adjusted difficulty settings to fit each versions interface.  What we don't have a solid opinion on is which difficulty is most appropriate.  It could be that the PC version is so hard that it's frustrating and the console versions may be a smoother experience for many.
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »

I can't wait. Got my call from Ashley.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2009, 11:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2009, 11:41:32 PM

I think everyone needs to either wait on concrete reviews of both versions tomorrow or try and rent it.  Because all Bioware have stated are that they adjusted difficulty settings to fit each versions interface.  What we don't have a solid opinion on is which difficulty is most appropriate.  It could be that the PC version is so hard that it's frustrating and the console versions may be a smoother experience for many.

You'll still die plenty in the console version, trust me.  The change in difficulty isn't that much.  It's just to compensate for the lack of precision aiming on the consoles.  Unless you play both, you'll never know the difference.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2009, 11:49:52 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 02, 2009, 10:46:40 PM

Quote from: marcusjm on November 02, 2009, 10:43:00 PM

why what else did Fallout 3 have on the PC version?

Cool mods, which is a strong argument for games like these.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on November 02, 2009, 11:44:12 PM

I got a call from her too even though I canceled my pre-order a month ago.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Owain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 03, 2009, 12:06:20 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 02, 2009, 11:55:46 PM

I got a call from her too even though I canceled my pre-order a month ago.

The perky bitch didn't bother to call me.  Instead all I got was a txt message.  Think I will go buy it from best buy now!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 03, 2009, 12:17:50 AM »

The epic struggle between good and evil has resurfaced and this time threatens to exterminate the inhabitants of Ferelden, and the world. The darkspawn's numbers have grown and is rumored to be led by a powerful legendary archdemon. The only hope for the inhabitants of this peaceful land rests squarely in the hands of an ancient order known as the Grey Wardens. With so few to stand against this blight, the Grey Wardens need your help to beat back this growing terror.

Really? 

That has to be the most generic story premise ever.  Ugh.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2009, 01:18:02 AM »

wow, that does sound like the back of a choose-your-own-adventure book from 1985, doesn't it? biggrin

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:21 AM »

She IS rather perky.  nod
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2009, 02:05:21 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on November 02, 2009, 11:41:32 PM

+1

Bioware has never "done me wrong" so I think I will get the game, play it and judge.  I am sure the console version will be different but I think they both may be great in their own ways.  Bioware has earned a lot of trust from me.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:25 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 02, 2009, 09:55:33 PM

That was bugging me too.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2009, 02:09:46 AM »

Quote from: Greggy_D on November 03, 2009, 01:35:21 AM

I'm glad they have her say the game name now. Used to break the immersion for me  icon_lol

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »

Quote from: DamageInc on November 03, 2009, 02:09:46 AM

I'm glad they have her say the game name now. Used to break the immersion for me  icon_lol

Oddly enough, I got the call, then got the text message about 3 hours later.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2009, 03:36:59 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 03, 2009, 02:46:24 AM

Quote from: DamageInc on November 03, 2009, 02:09:46 AM

I'm glad they have her say the game name now. Used to break the immersion for me  icon_lol

Oddly enough, I got the call, then got the text message about 3 hours later.

Same thing happened to me except I got two phone messages about 3 hours apart.
I just thought she missed me  slywink Apparently she gets around though.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 02, 2009, 11:28:06 PM

Quote from: Razgon on November 02, 2009, 10:19:54 PM

That's ridiculous. How can you say the PC version is perfect when you haven't played it? Especially in light of the glowing impressions of BOTH versions of the game. The game has been tailored to the strengths of each system. That doesn't mean one has been dumbed down. If you prefer a more tactical version, then play PC. If you want to sit on your couch and would enjoy a more action-oriented version, then play the console version.

no tactical view
No queuing up orders

that is less, right?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:20:11 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2009, 07:23:52 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 03, 2009, 07:18:06 AM

that is less, right?

Are you arguing semantics or gameplay?
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2009, 07:51:28 AM »

well, if it doesnt matter to you, it wont matter what I'm arguing - but it IS gameplay...BG was a tactical rpg, and this was touted to be in the same vein. Now we find some of the features that makes it so, hasnt been included in some versions.

Anyways, I'll shup up about it, since it seems I cant make a dent in most of you guys beliefs in the might of Bioware

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2009, 08:45:43 AM »

No seriously, it sounded like you just wanted someone to say "yes, that is less" as if that is more important than anything less. Of course the 360-version features less than the PC version. Nobody can argue otherwise, which makes your question rather strange, to put it mildly.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2009, 08:55:17 AM »

I'm just mad I guess :-) I have such high hopes for this game, and was very pleased that its coming for a platform where I can run it perfectly without worrying about drivers, finetuning and so on.... Then, I find out that the game is not all that it could be on those versions, because of the restraints due to control schemes. To me, tactical gameplay is one of the things I loved about both BG's. Thats why it means a lot to me that some of the things adding to the games tactical depth was removed. Actually, it seems like a pretty big thing to me.

Now, when I try to convey that disappointment here, some agree, some disagree - those that disagree are the ones I want to show *why* I feel disappointed. I may have been doing a rather poor job of it, though - coming off angry and irrational, but thats what I was...

hope the above wasnt quite as strange....

A new one
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2009, 09:03:48 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 03, 2009, 08:55:17 AM

I'm just mad I guess :-) I have such high hopes for this game, and was very pleased that its coming for a platform where I can run it perfectly without worrying about drivers, finetuning and so on.... Then, I find out that the game is not all that it could be on those versions, because of the restraints due to control schemes. To me, tactical gameplay is one of the things I loved about both BG's. Thats why it means a lot to me that some of the things adding to the games tactical depth was removed. Actually, it seems like a pretty big thing to me.

Now, when I try to convey that disappointment here, some agree, some disagree - those that disagree are the ones I want to show *why* I feel disappointed. I may have been doing a rather poor job of it, though - coming off angry and irrational, but thats what I was...

hope the above wasnt quite as strange....

It's not strange, but the warning bells went off in my head as soon as they announced they weren't going to offer the full pulled back camera option on the console versions.  At that point the game went from being the next BG2 to being the next KOTOR, at least on the consoles.  Both are fine games, but there is a difference.  Essentially, the PC version seems to be catering to the BG2 crowd while Bioware/EA went the safe route and tuned the console version towards the same folks that were happy with Mass Effect, KOTOR, etc.

I don't think the console gamer is really getting screwed in any way, but I do think the experience is going to be a bit different.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 03, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »

I doubt any game will ever be able to meet the impossible standards some gamers have.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 03, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 03, 2009, 07:51:28 AM

well, if it doesnt matter to you, it wont matter what I'm arguing - but it IS gameplay...BG was a tactical rpg, and this was touted to be in the same vein. Now we find some of the features that makes it so, hasnt been included in some versions.

Anyways, I'll shup up about it, since it seems I cant make a dent in most of you guys beliefs in the might of Bioware

All I think people are saying is why don't you play both versions yourself first, then come back and give us legit impressions.  Otherwise you're just spouting speculation.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 03, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »

You obviosuly didnt read what I wrote then.... I said my pc cant handle the game, thus my need for the console version. As for speculation - those things *are* missing...whats speculative about it?

A new one
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 03, 2009, 09:41:04 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on November 03, 2009, 09:16:11 AM

I doubt any game will ever be able to meet the impossible standards some gamers have.

Oh no, not you again... the individual Bioware Defense Force.  =P

Like I said to Razgon, let's wait until we all personally play the game.  You can't be sure this is a great game yet.

(btw I have the Digital Deluxe Version pre-ordered on Steam, so don't accuse me of hating Bioware)
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:07 AM »

Quote from: Razgon on November 03, 2009, 09:38:58 AM

You obviosuly didnt read what I wrote then.... I said my pc cant handle the game, thus my need for the console version. As for speculation - those things *are* missing...whats speculative about it?

Not necessarily those technical things.  It just seemed to me that you were making a definitive judgment that the console version is much worse overall than the PC version.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

To me, it's possible that both versions will be great even if they're different.  As others have said, they can be different styles.  That doesn't necessarily mean one is worse.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 03, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

Your'e right - I was making that judgement ;-)

anyways, I guess we'll see...I'll be waiting to see what people say about it though, and if the console version *is* lacking as I fear it is, I'll sit this one out

A new one
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on November 03, 2009, 09:41:04 AM

Quote from: marcusjm on November 03, 2009, 09:16:11 AM

Oh no, not you again... the individual Bioware Defense Force.  =P

Like I said to Razgon, let's wait until we all personally play the game.  You can't be sure this is a great game yet.

(btw I have the Digital Deluxe Version pre-ordered on Steam, so don't accuse me of hating Bioware)

Actually you are the one bitching about Razgons valid criticism (according to him at least). It is Razgons money after all and
I wouldn't dare judge him over his purchases.

Sometimes I wonder if making Baby Food actually targets a more adult market than games.

Don't worry I am sure Bioware/EA can stomach it, they can look at their bank account slips if they ever get too depressed biggrin.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:15:48 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: