http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 04:51:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Countdown  (Read 25609 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »

I'm guessing it will be a code contained in the new game package... maybe that retailers have to remove before selling used, or that the first owner would've already "used up."

I'd say that was a brilliant guess, but I think I remember reading somewhere about it, that it would be a code card or something similar.  Maybe.   icon_confused

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 07:25:33 AM »

DLC included in game packages is nothing new. My purchase of Prince of Persia from Play.com included the DLC expansion for free, for example. It was in the form of a code I could input into the PSN store that unlocked the DLC for my account. After that, the code would be invalid for anyone else attempting to use it.

The only situation in which you'd be able to access the DLC when purchasing used would be if the original owner hadn't unlocked the DLC for himself.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 08, 2009, 07:11:25 AM

[how will it know whether old or new?...time limit?,as i must admit that sentence i quoted from Kotaku,doesn't really make sense

That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

Registration of the copy and serial number.  As the first owner you get that content for free to download.  If you buy it used that serial number's already been registered once so you have to buy the stuff.

Not that pirates and others won't get around it.  It won't suprise me if the files are available in a hacked form within days.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 09:11:04 AM »

Hacks and cracks mean very little when it comes to the 360 and PS3, particularly the latter. Piracy is rare enough that it doesn't cause any huge problems on those platforms.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

It seems I was mistaken in my assumption of what this DLC was. Turns out you HAVE to pay for this one even if you own the game, which changes things considerably. They could at least have held it back for a few weeks to not make it look like such a cash stunt.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2009, 09:47:23 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 08, 2009, 07:11:25 AM

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2009, 06:59:58 AM

The point is to make it way more appealing to purchase new rather than a used copy without making the game worthless without it. I think it's a brilliant move that could do wonders to help the game industry become more profitable. The only caveat is that not downloading the DLC shouldn't gimp the game experience. It's a nice incentive for people to support the industry.

how will it know whether old or new?...time limit?,as i must admit that sentence i quoted from Kotaku,doesn't really make sense

That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

They probably include a code to download the game for free, but only can be used once. So people who buy the game can download it for free, but when they trade or resell the game, the new owner can't use the same code and have to pay $15. Maybe buyers can create a new GfW Live account to install the game and download the DLC then sell/trade the game with DLC by giving the GfW Live account access. Of course this is only for the Windows version. It is probably harder to trade games with DLC on XBOX 360 since DLC can be locked to the machine.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:49:11 AM by Victoria Raverna » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2009, 09:30:21 AM

It seems I was mistaken in my assumption of what this DLC was. Turns out you HAVE to pay for this one even if you own the game, which changes things considerably. They could at least have held it back for a few weeks to not make it look like such a cash stunt.

well,least it isn't Co-OP mode or clothes for your character that sizes up to about 100kb...i suspect it would be a healthy dose of MB..if that's any consolation

as Eddie says its odd releasing 2 DLC packs that seem to be of a so-so/decent size(<<at least),on day one when it's a 50+ game

(someone said on Kotaku it could 800+hr,LOL)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2009, 01:27:25 PM »

is this confirmed?  i was about to say "kudos" for a good use of day one DLC.  but if its pay to play only, well its another shameless cash in for something that should have been in the game to begin with.  or like someone else said, at least hold it back a few weeks to give the ILLUSION of buying us dinner before you $@# us smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 08, 2009, 06:14:17 AM

DLC Wardens Keep-Day one-560 MSP

+

Additionally, BioWare said another piece of DLC, "The Stone Prisoner," will also be available day one. That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

From what I've read elsewhere, the Warden's Keep is free IF you preorder the game via Direct2Drive (or some online only download - so the PC version only). Basically they give you the Keep instead of things like a physical manual and whatnot. Still annoying that you'll have to buy it if you get it any other way.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 01:48:38 PM »

So, once more, you have to check where you buy the game from, in order to get all the stuff that is in the game? I hate things like that...

A new one
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:45 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2009, 06:59:58 AM

The point is to make it way more appealing to purchase new rather than a used copy without making the game worthless without it. I think it's a brilliant move that could do wonders to help the game industry become more profitable. The only caveat is that not downloading the DLC shouldn't gimp the game experience. It's a nice incentive for people to support the industry.

I think Eddie is referring to "The Watcher's Keep" which costs the same amount for everyone I believe.  

Quote from: EddieA on October 08, 2009, 06:25:28 AM

I don't get the point of day one DLC for a 50+ hour RPG.  That's like serving someone a table full of food and then asking them if they want to buy some more to go with it.

I guess it depends on where it fits into the game.  If it's mid-game material then I'd rather it be available early since I would probably want to integrate it whenever I'm the appropriate level (and given how some people play games, they will probably be appropriate level 2 or 3 days after it comes out).  I didn't care for the way Bioware did DLC for Mass Effect- mid game content like "Bring Down the Sky" was useless since I had long since beat the game.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 08, 2009, 01:42:00 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 08, 2009, 06:14:17 AM

DLC Wardens Keep-Day one-560 MSP

+

Additionally, BioWare said another piece of DLC, "The Stone Prisoner," will also be available day one. That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

From what I've read elsewhere, the Warden's Keep is free IF you preorder the game via Direct2Drive (or some online only download - so the PC version only). Basically they give you the Keep instead of things like a physical manual and whatnot. Still annoying that you'll have to buy it if you get it any other way.

I noticed they seem to be charging 5 bucks more for the PC CE, 64.99 instead of 59.99.  Impulse has it at the same price, but there's a 20% off code floating around for them which brings it down to 52 bucks.  since I can't get the CE anymore through Gamestop I'm just going to go through them for that price.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=14405

Part 1 (including my interview with the founders of Bioware) is up!  I'll take questions and answer what I can.

(Also, FYI - I had the flu pretty bad so hopefully it doesn't sound too bad)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:10:49 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 04:49:34 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 08, 2009, 04:07:06 PM

http://www.gamingtrend.com/News/news.php?NewsID=14405

Part 1 (including my interview with the founders of Bioware) is up!  I'll take questions and answer what I can.

(Also, FYI - I had the flu pretty bad so hopefully it doesn't sound too bad)

I read the first paragraph in the spoiler and stopped ....  eek

Anyway, does the 360 support the 3/4 tactical view..

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 04:58:56 PM »

I can't wait, I've never played a title from Bioware that disappointed me.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »

I read the first paragraph in the spoiler and stopped ..
Yea....consequences!  biggrin

Anyway, does the 360 support the 3/4 tactical view..

Still waiting on that answer.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11:49 PM »

November 3rd will not come soon enough for me.  I had decided to pre-order from Amazon to get the bonus I wanted most... but that will mean waiting a few extra days to get the game.  I'm not so sure I won't change my mind on that. 

Being a console player only, I wouldn't know a mod or a toolset if one drove over me in a tank.  It's going to be "learning curve squared" - but I still can't wait to get it into my mitts...   icon_biggrin

Thanks, Ron you're the best!   nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »

Ok, on the semi top-down camera on the console versions.  It's a no-go.  I have to be honest, during my playthrough I used it once or twice in a larger room, but it isn't a huge loss.  It's a 'nice option' kinda thing.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 11:43:32 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 08, 2009, 08:00:16 PM

Ok, on the semi top-down camera on the console versions.  It's a no-go.  I have to be honest, during my playthrough I used it once or twice in a larger room, but it isn't a huge loss.  It's a 'nice option' kinda thing.

* CeeKay adjusts his monocle and twirls his mustache

errrm... yes... once again the PC version proves to be the superior version.

Tongue

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2009, 12:08:28 AM »

At least until the first "OMG my game crashes, this game sucks" rants turn up slywink.
IE usually 15 seconds after the first "OMG I have the Game" post. Which should be approximately 20 seconds before the first
"Was this game betatested at all?" post turns out. About 2 minutes later we should expect the first "What the hell were the developers thinking?".

Did I get them all? Maybe someone should make a release Bingo slywink.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 12:17:03 AM by marcusjm » Logged

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 07:19:14 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 09, 2009, 12:08:28 AM

At least until the first "OMG my game crashes, this game sucks" rants turn up slywink.
IE usually 15 seconds after the first "OMG I have the Game" post. Which should be approximately 20 seconds before the first
"Was this game betatested at all?" post turns out. About 2 minutes later we should expect the first "What the hell were the developers thinking?".

you *really* dont like game(r)s these days, do you?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 07:21:54 AM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 08, 2009, 08:00:16 PM

so,wait....semi top-down is like Sacred 2?...as that was a bit annoying the camera angle in that

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10:13 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 09, 2009, 12:08:28 AM

don't forget the 'OMG the framerate sucks!' which is followed by 'not if you tweak this setting', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'.  or there's the 'I found a bug which won't let me continue' which is followed by 'I hacked/modify this file, you can continue', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'.  or there's the 'these graphics look like shit' which is followed by 'well, I found if you go into the ini file and change this they loook much better', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'. or there is the 'a piece of my hardware just failed' which is followed by 'just run to <insert local computer store> for those parts for a quick repair' which could be followed by 'I mean a RRoD/YLoD on my console'.

Because I can,
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 09:17:08 AM »

you *really* dont like game(r)s these days, do you?

It's true that going over to consoles really changed forum reading to the better slywink.
So great just to pop in the DVD and everything works perfectly.

Making a release Bingo for consoles would be harder since most games work right out of the box. Less clichéposts.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:20:18 AM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 09:30:01 AM »

don't forget the 'OMG the framerate sucks!' which is followed by 'not if you tweak this setting', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'.  or there's the 'I found a bug which won't let me continue' which is followed by 'I hacked/modify this file, you can continue', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'.  or there's the 'these graphics look like shit' which is followed by 'well, I found if you go into the ini file and change this they loook much better', which could be followed by 'wait, I'm playing on a console'. or there is the 'a piece of my hardware just failed' which is followed by 'just run to <insert local computer store> for those parts for a quick repair' which could be followed by 'I mean a RRoD/YLoD on my console'.

Thankfully these problems are rare so it would be hard to do any release Bingo on those slywink.

This is why I will buy the 360 version of Dragon Age. Bioware needs an incentive to ramp up the console support and eventually focus 100% on those formats. Doesn't matter if it's PS or XBOX.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 02:26:33 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 09, 2009, 09:30:01 AM

This is why I will buy the 360 version of Dragon Age. Bioware needs an incentive to ramp up the console support and eventually focus 100% on those formats. Doesn't matter if it's PS or XBOX.

good point.  I weas going to double dip on DA but now I'm just going to get the PC version.

Because I can,
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 06:22:55 PM »

Huh..I'm slowly coming around to this one.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2009, 06:16:01 AM »

well,this video shows 360 gameplay...okay its only 37 seconds long,but as long as the camera can be controlled like it seems in this video,i am fine with the camera angles here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqNbpodmCd0

here's hoping for a more decent Tutorial than Sacred 2

Another vid here showing some of the controls
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 06:22:49 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2009, 07:46:31 AM »

Wow, that looks very fluid. Why would anyone switch to BG view from this?

I will probably get both versions down the line, at some point you would want the player made campaigns but
I doubt they will come anyway near as fast as the NWN modules.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »

Preview 2 of 2 is up, along with a video and high resolution screenshots.  Mmmm....5500 words.....

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=36563.0

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2009, 09:58:06 PM »

Almost catched the spoilers slywink. Good write up.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2009, 11:00:20 PM »

Okay, remind me.  Dragon Age is single player only.  No current plans for any form of MP, correct?

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2009, 11:45:24 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on October 15, 2009, 11:00:20 PM

Okay, remind me.  Dragon Age is single player only.  No current plans for any form of MP, correct?

Correct, but with the mod engine being the engine they used to build the game, it is more than possible.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »

i cant WAIT for this game... which is hilarious because im going to smile

seriously ive been on this one for a while now, but im positive ill wait until around christmas to get it.  itll be hard, ill cry at first, but thatll give me some time to play through the other stuff coming out beforehand and also to perhaps FINALLY succumb to downloadable content.  it seems like this one is going to have some worthwhile stuff, and i figure if i give it a couple months to get out i actually stand a chance of being able to play it for once!

though its really going to hurt watching that thread grow, and not being able to step in...
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 09, 2009, 09:17:08 AM

So great just to pop in the DVD and everything works perfectly.

Making a release Bingo for consoles would be harder since most games work right out of the box. Less clichéposts.

I agree 100%.  If I have the option of getting a game on a console I always take it. I don't have time to fiddle with drivers and performance tweaking nonsense anymore.  It's so nice to just pop the game into my 360 and be playing within 30 seconds at the same level everyone else is.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2009, 09:06:33 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 16, 2009, 04:02:44 PM

i cant WAIT for this game... which is hilarious because im going to smile

seriously ive been on this one for a while now, but im positive ill wait until around christmas to get it.  itll be hard, ill cry at first, but thatll give me some time to play through the other stuff coming out beforehand and also to perhaps FINALLY succumb to downloadable content.  it seems like this one is going to have some worthwhile stuff, and i figure if i give it a couple months to get out i actually stand a chance of being able to play it for once!

though its really going to hurt watching that thread grow, and not being able to step in...

Don't worry, Doopri - when you get yours, I'll probably still be playing it, and maybe I'll be halfway through it... maybe.  I'll be watching the impressions closely as well, though not as long as you - it's an Amazon free-shipping deal, so I won't get it Day One.  But, yeah, soooon (I hope.)   ninja

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2009, 09:22:21 PM »

I'm going with PC this time.  It was a close decision, I played Oblivion/Fallout 3/Mass Effect etc. on console.  It was nice to take advantage of the 60" screen to get immersed in those games.  But with a party based game, I think controls will be better and I hear there is a significant difference in graphics.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »

Eurogamer hands on

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 21, 2009, 12:10:07 PM

Just release it to us already!!!!!
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2009, 12:20:59 AM »

I'm glad I read Ron's impressions as well as others, I almost made the mistake of buying the console version  paranoid

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: