http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:40:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age Countdown  (Read 26044 times)
marcusjm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:56:32 PM »

Lots of videos released to Marketplace today and the excitement rises by alot.

So anyone already counting the days until release? I hope the multiplayer is flexible enough to allow
for play with some GT.ers smile.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 10:25:41 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on October 01, 2009, 09:56:32 PM

Lots of videos released to Marketplace today and the excitement rises by alot.

So anyone already counting the days until release? I hope the multiplayer is flexible enough to allow
for play with some GT.ers smile.

Wasn't it confirmed that Dragon Age had no multiplayer element, or was I confused?
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:27:37 PM »

You are totally right and I am totally wrong. I was thinking way too much about Baldurs Gate and how that multiplayer worked.
And here I was looking forward to co-op frown.

Well, there is always DLC to hope for.

After having watched all videos I still feel Fable2 had much better voice overs. They were stunning compared to these stock voices.
I am sure they have good voice actors in Canada slywink. At least they dispensed with the cliché Scottish voices for Dwarves.

The John Goodman sounding voice was cool though (assuming it isn't him).
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:35:33 PM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 02:16:59 AM »

i downloaded all the videos as well.seems like there are quite a few races of people to choose from

glad to see the Dwarf women in there...i thought the Drawves reproduced by just sprouting up from out of the ground icon_wink

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 02, 2009, 02:16:59 AM

glad to see the Dwarf women in there...i thought the Drawves reproduced by just sprouting up from out of the ground icon_wink

You have to pour beer over their heads and start swearing at them first before they sprout into the ground and asexually reproduce.  Or maybe they sprout you into the ground after dumping beer on their heads and swearing at them, I can't remember.

Most of the origin videos were ok to good, altough I wasn't at all feeling the wood elf one. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 02, 2009, 06:28:23 PM

Most of the origin videos were ok to good, altough I wasn't at all feeling the wood

Fixed icon_biggrin

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 07:20:04 PM »

I still dont get what all the blood is for... Is it really neccesary to go over the top like this??

I hope to god I can turn off the blood somewhere, since I'm not 12 anymore or get a hardon by watching blood in bucketloads...

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 07:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 02, 2009, 07:20:04 PM

I still dont get what all the blood is for... Is it really neccesary to go over the top like this??

it's the new shit.  less blood was the old shit.  aren't you watching the music videos?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 08:00:08 PM »

looking forward to it as the next (and only) console rpg now that risen seems to be a bad, bad port. 

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »

There is an extensive FAQ here that seems to have answered just about everything you might want to know about the game.  I haven't found whether it's a save-anywhere game, but the FAQ is huge and I'm still reading.    paranoid

As for the original question:

So anyone already counting the days until release?

Oh, yeah!  My only decision at this point is whether to pre-order or not.

Quote from: Razgon on October 02, 2009, 07:20:04 PM

Agreed.  I know some folks love gory games and movies, but I've seen enough blood in zombie games, CSI shows, and real life to last me.  I hope there is some way to at least reduce the number of blood spots on your character's face.  Yuck.   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:29 PM »

This is actually my main problem with games trying to be "adult". They think showing some boobs and some blood makes the game more mature, when in fact it makes it more attractive to adolscent youth.

To me adult means complex psychology, ethical choices, politics and what else. Like a good book, fantasy or otherwise.

R.Scott Bakker should be hired as writer for the next CRPG smile.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:40 PM »

This is actually my main problem with games trying to be "adult". They think showing some boobs and some blood makes the game more mature, when in fact it makes it more attractive to adolscent youth.

ive always found this funny as well - "mature" = gratuitous swearing, nudity and guts galore eh?  just use "R" (though another thing i find funny - im old, bear with me.  when i was a kid, what is PG-13 now was R then).
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 11:07:15 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 02, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

ive always found this funny as well - "mature" = gratuitous swearing, nudity and guts galore eh?  just use "R" (though another thing i find funny - im old, bear with me.  when i was a kid, what is PG-13 now was R then).

if i have concerns about this game (i canceled my pre-order), it's the way the promo videos so far have almost epitomized this definition of mature. were it being done with a degree of self-referential wit, it'd be easier to take, but i'm not picking up on that - it all looks like pretty straight, hard-core juvenile fantasy to me. i'll be very happy if i'm wrong...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 11:13:26 PM »

I think it will take awhile before current fantasy masters like Bakker, Erikson, Cook, Martin, Abercombie etc makes it into CRPG games. So far they are still stuck at Tolkien, Eddings,Hack Writer type fantasy.

Still waiting for some industrious game developer to co-op with some of the current great fantasy writers (and Sci Fi for that matter).

Alan Wake seems to have grasped the term "adult" pretty good from what I have seen and read.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 11:36:10 PM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 01:09:53 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 02, 2009, 11:07:15 PM

Quote from: Doopri on October 02, 2009, 09:50:40 PM

if i have concerns about this game (i canceled my pre-order), it's the way the promo videos so far have almost epitomized this definition of mature. were it being done with a degree of self-referential wit, it'd be easier to take, but i'm not picking up on that - it all looks like pretty straight, hard-core juvenile fantasy to me. i'll be very happy if i'm wrong...

don't forget that this is Bioware....that name alone sells it for me

just wondering while we are on the subject of gore and violence..i know this is the Dragon Age thread,but how many of you turned off the swearing and the blood when the option came in the Brutal Legend demo?...i kept both on,but i want to go back and see what its like when the beeps are in for the swearing,sometimes,like it says the swearing is funnier when its beeped out

this is still EA publishing the games(Dragon Age and Brutal Legend) we are talking about,so perhaps..an option for the blood to be taken out will be there(can't see there being as much swearing as Brutal Legend in this one)

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 09:26:50 AM »

Metal without swearing and boobs just feels plain wrong slywink.

It's all about context,if it makes sense in the story, obviously it should be in. If it's just a cheap plot device to attract horny teenagers, then it's not for me at least.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »

Is this the final countdown?
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 06:05:33 AM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on October 03, 2009, 01:28:25 PM

Is this the final countdown?

It looks like it... though, of course, until you actually have the game in hand, it doesn't seem that there are any guarantees these days.  As of today, BestBuy is still listing it as a Nov. 3rd release.

The next issue is - if you want to pre-order it - not every store has the same pre-order bonus, so I passed on it today until I do more research on:  A) whether I will want it at all... if it is merely a "blood fix," I will just get back into L4D; and: B) if I do want it, which store should I pre-order from?

BestBuy seems to have Dragon Blood armor, EB has some kind of boots, and there's an XP ring out there somewhere as well, though I'm not sure who has that.  I know one thing, though - the Limited Edition, may - or may not be - worth the price, but it is not worth it to me.  $75 for a metal case, a "making of" disc, and a few in game items, just is not worth the extra money.  I do believe that I'm through with most of those LE's - and certainly the +$15 ones.

I guess, time will tell, on all those details...  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 08:27:33 AM »

Myto,The Blood Dragon Armour when you Buy Dragon Age is an in-game suit for Mass Effect ..doesn't say here anything about Pre-ordering first so it may be a code in the case(i dunno)

EDIT:according to what i just found(below)its for both games(and it says Mass Effect 2),if so then my bad..doesn't say that on the screenshot below however..i think it may be mistaken,not sure

not sure if this is for all games bought from any shop or what

our Pre-Order bonus's(Amazon UK) are the Lions Paw(those Boots that EB are doing for you) and the Memory Band(the XP ring you mentioned?)

found this for the special edition stuff from Game.co.uk
Dragon Age Collectors Edition features:

* Plastic Collectors Box
    * Bonus DVD with a 'Making of' documentary, Soundtrack, Trailers, Wallpaper, Concept Art Video and Strategy tips
    * 3 pieces of exclusive in-game content - Bergens Honour, Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes and Final Reason - PLUS Memory Band (shown below)
    * Unlockable ME2 in-game item: Original purchasers of DAO will receive the Blood Dragon Armour which will be usable in both DAO and ME2....?
    * The Stone Prisoner unlockable bonus quest and unlockable character, Shale

As the spiritual successor to BioWare's Baldur's Gate, one of the most successful role-playing games in the industry, Dragon Age: Origins represents BioWare's return to its roots, delivering a fusion of the best elements of existing fantasy works with stunning visuals, emotionally-driven narrative, heart-pounding combat, powerful magic abilities and credible digital actors. The spirit of classic RPGs comes of age, as Dragon Age: Origins features a dark and mature story and gameplay.

Exclusive in-game items:

Bergen's Honour

When the Grey Warden Bergen knew he was at the end of his life, he descended into the the Deep Roads joined by a full company of the Legion of the Dead. They slew hordes of darkspawn, clearing tunnels that had been lost for centuries. When at last they fell, a lone dwarf brought back Bergen's helm, as well as his defiant and inspirational tale.

Placement: This is a massive dragonbone helmet. So it's end-game warrior fare. At a good price. Besides Corruption at the end of the game, it should be the best helm available.

Stats: Adds +2 to armour. Adds a lot to physical resistance (+25). Adds to attack (+6).

Final Reason

This staff was held by several senior master conjurers of the Circle Tower, passed down from old master to new. Errant students learned to fear it, for when all other forms of discipline failed, the Final Reason would produce obedience at the cost of significant pain and discomfort.
Placement: This is meant to be useable once the player is at 11+ level. It's price, like all the pre-order items, should be very reasonable. It's meant to be the best staff for the mid-levels of the game.

Stats: Adds to damage. Making it do as much as the Dragonbone staves. Adds considerably to spellpower. Adds a good chunk to fire damage.

Grimoire of the Frozen Wastes

Far north of Orthland lies the Frozen Wastes. In these pages are hundreds of harrowing tales describing how the barbarians survive in their icy homeland. The authors' hope their stories will help readers in their times of need. Or at the least prove entertaining.

Stats: When read adds +3 to a player's attributes.

Memory Band

Made by the Formari, these lyrium-infused rings are supposed to help apprentices retain their lessons. They work rather well - too well, perhaps, as less capable students sometimes wear three or four per finger.

Stats: Adds +1% to XP, Adds one skill point

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 08:32:05 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 09:13:11 AM »

KD posted some pretty positive stuff in the PC section about some preview time he's put into the game.  For those who are thinking the marketing is telling the story of what kind of game this will be, the answer seems to be it's totally misleading.  If there is one thing almost everyone agrees with it's that the marketing is horrible for DA.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 09:38:46 AM »

Only marketing I need is the name Bioware. They still have my trust.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:06:34 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 04, 2009, 08:27:33 AM

Myto,The Blood Dragon Armour when you Buy Dragon Age is an in-game suit for Mass Effect ..doesn't say here anything about Pre-ordering first so it may be a code in the case(i dunno)

EDIT:according to what i just found(below)its for both games(and it says Mass Effect 2),if so then my bad..doesn't say that on the screenshot below however..i think it may be mistaken,not sure

yeah, that's the armor.  I doubt I'd use it beyond the initial 'neato, I look kinda like a Cylon' phase.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »

Quote from: Sarkus on October 04, 2009, 09:13:11 AM

KD posted some pretty positive stuff in the PC section about some preview time he's put into the game.  For those who are thinking the marketing is telling the story of what kind of game this will be, the answer seems to be it's totally misleading.

alright, halfheartedly back in - if only to see firsthand what the forthcoming 'greatest game evah!' hype is all about smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:37 PM »

KD posted some pretty positive stuff in the PC section about some preview time he's put into the game.  For those who are thinking the marketing is telling the story of what kind of game this will be, the answer seems to be it's totally misleading.  If there is one thing almost everyone agrees with it's that the marketing is horrible for DA.

One important thing that I've picked up from various previews is that it sounds like the tactical 3/4 view interface isn't available on the 360, just the PC. That makes this a definite PC purchase for me, not a 360 one.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 05, 2009, 01:59:37 PM

One important thing that I've picked up from various previews is that it sounds like the tactical 3/4 view interface isn't available on the 360, just the PC. That makes this a definite PC purchase for me, not a 360 one.

I'm gonna confirm that either way today. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 05, 2009, 02:13:04 PM

Quote from: Farscry on October 05, 2009, 01:59:37 PM

I'm gonna confirm that either way today. 

This is need to know.  I'll cancel my 360 pre-order and get the PC version

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »

I bet they have adapted the GUI for console play so I am not worried. They have done a pretty good job so far with
console games smile.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »

Thanks for all the info, everyone!  I think I'll just wait on this fence for another week or two - there's still plenty of time to decide.  All I know for "pretty sure" is that i won't get the LE... it's bad enough that some of these games add $20 to your bill because they are impossible to play fully without the guide, but adding $15 for the LE, geeze... (lol, look who's complaining - someone who plays most games for 300 hours - or more!)

Btw, what exactly is meant by a "tactical 3/4 view" anyway?  I'm sure I know what it is, just not what it's being called.    icon_confused

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on October 05, 2009, 06:41:51 PM

Btw, what exactly is meant by a "tactical 3/4 view" anyway?  I'm sure I know what it is, just not what it's being called.    icon_confused

icon_razz

If you ever played the old Infinity Engine games on the pc (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and the like), that's what 3/4 tactical view is. Also lets you freely move the camera and select units, rather than the more recent approach of forcing the camera to remain centered on the hero or the currently-selected unit (a la NWN 1 and 2, The Witcher, or any of the recent modern Bioware offerings like Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and KotOR).

For Dragon Age, I'll be playing almost exclusively in the 3/4 view just like the old Bioware and Black Isle rpg's. smile

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 07:40:21 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on October 05, 2009, 06:45:43 PM

Quote from: mytocles on October 05, 2009, 06:41:51 PM

icon_razz

If you ever played the old Infinity Engine games on the pc (Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and the like), that's what 3/4 tactical view is. Also lets you freely move the camera and select units, rather than the more recent approach of forcing the camera to remain centered on the hero or the currently-selected unit (a la NWN 1 and 2, The Witcher, or any of the recent modern Bioware offerings like Mass Effect, Jade Empire, and KotOR).

For Dragon Age, I'll be playing almost exclusively in the 3/4 view just like the old Bioware and Black Isle rpg's. smile

Thanks, that explains why the term was unfamiliar to me - I haven't played a PC game almost since Myst, and that was the most action-oriented game I ever played on PC, lmao.

I am very picky about my cameras' setups, but if I can invert at least the horizontal, then I can usually manage the rest.  That makes one more reason to keep researching before ordering or pre-ordering.  I suspect I won't be able to resist the game, though - unless something is monstrously wrong with it, or too difficult for me to overcome.

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 07:45:41 PM »

You've played Sacred 2 , now you can play anything Mytocles! :-)

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game...I *want* to love it, but I'm afraid I'll get disappointed

A new one
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 05, 2009, 07:45:41 PM

You've played Sacred 2 , now you can play anything Mytocles! :-)

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game...I *want* to love it, but I'm afraid I'll get disappointed

I've felt that way ever since first hearing about "Project Ego" - which eventually became "Fable" - it was a good game, but nowhere near as incredible as Peter Molyneux promised.  Yeah, I know better now, especially with him.

As for Sacred 2... I probably couldn't play it today, because I've force-trained my hands and brain to play Star Ocean 4, and my next game I will be hitting all those buttons for awhile.  Still, the end result is usually well worth the relearning process, so if DA isn't tooo gory, if the cameras can be customized, and if it has good gameplay with a minimum of glitches, well, I'll likely clock 300 or 400 hours on it.  You know, if it's a "short" game for me!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2009, 08:11:40 PM »

i know i would love the game,however with it coming out the same day as MW2(well,a few days before)..it will have to wait i'm afraid...its also out 2 weeks before Assassins Creed 2 icon_confused

just looking on GAME and i had forgotten that the PS3 version comes 2 weeks after the PC/360 versions icon_biggrin

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:40 PM »

As far as controlling the action in battle on the 360, my guess is that Dragon Age is actually going to feel closer to a more tactical version of Final Fantasy XII than it will like Mass Effect or even KotOR, given the detail and "scripting" you'll be able to do for the AI in controlling your party members. So I'm sure it'll still be awesome on the 360, and I'd go that route if I had to; I just want the 3/4 view gameplay more. smile

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2009, 11:49:28 PM »

cool video here on Teamxbox-3.48
http://xboxmovies.teamxbox.com/xbox-360-hires/10525/A-Living-World-Trailer-HD/

shows some cool footage and some great concept art

youtube version if you don't like waiting(but you have to put up with French Subtitles icon_lol)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gyDIjd1QcQ

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 10:05:47 PM »

I'd advise anyone checking out those videos to watch the first one.  It took a while for it to load, but it was very, very impressive.  I already wanted this game, but after watching that... I want it NOW!  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »

DLC Wardens Keep-Day one-560 MSP

+

Additionally, BioWare said another piece of DLC, "The Stone Prisoner," will also be available day one. That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 06:25:28 AM »

I don't get the point of day one DLC for a 50+ hour RPG.  That's like serving someone a table full of food and then asking them if they want to buy some more to go with it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2009, 06:59:58 AM »

The point is to make it way more appealing to purchase new rather than a used copy without making the game worthless without it. I think it's a brilliant move that could do wonders to help the game industry become more profitable. The only caveat is that not downloading the DLC shouldn't gimp the game experience. It's a nice incentive for people to support the industry.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 07:11:25 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 08, 2009, 06:59:58 AM

The point is to make it way more appealing to purchase new rather than a used copy without making the game worthless without it. I think it's a brilliant move that could do wonders to help the game industry become more profitable. The only caveat is that not downloading the DLC shouldn't gimp the game experience. It's a nice incentive for people to support the industry.

how will it know whether old or new?...time limit?,as i must admit that sentence i quoted from Kotaku,doesn't really make sense

That pack is free to those who preroder the game or buy it new. For those who have to pay for it, it will be instantly available for 1,200 Microsoft points or $15.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: