http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 06:27:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/XB1/Ps3/Ps4] Dragon Age: Inquisition  (Read 10875 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2012, 12:21:24 AM »

While I haven't been burnt on all the DLC, I must admit it has been creeping towards really bad territory, and honestly crept past the line without me noticing.

I was already not going to buy into the game before reviews (especially forum member reviews) so I've resigned myself to the idea that if they somehow manage to make a good standalone dragon age that makes up for the many negative aspects of DA3, I might stand to pay a little extra. But what I won't do is pay full price sight unseen for the copy and paste fest that was DA2.
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2012, 01:19:36 AM »

I know it's cliché to say, but it's true.  After Bioware was purchased by EA, their overall quality went to crap.  DA3, Strar Wars MMO, Mass Effect (Wasn't bad but could have been so much better. And the ending, oy vey!).  I'm truly hoping for a return to what was so great about DA Orgins, but I'm not pre ordering.  Bioware has lost that ability with me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 01:54:41 AM »

Well, in BG1 you could have the game pause after everyone has taken their combat 'round'. So it more or less was actual 'turn based'. Not sure on the others offhand.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on December 04, 2012, 01:54:41 AM

Well, in BG1 you could have the game pause after everyone has taken their combat 'round'. So it more or less was actual 'turn based'. Not sure on the others offhand.

No, no, no! This was a marketing move to appease AD&D fans. Adding an automatic pause every sixth second in combat (which is what this was) doesn't change squat. It's still real time with pause. Turn based, by its very definition, requires that each character in combat does his actions before the next character in line can do his, and so on, until everyone has moved and it starts over from the top of the list. There is middle ground, but it's not at all similar to the BG approach. An example would be a system where each side in the battle can move their characters in any order they like, moving all of them (perhaps even going back and forth between them. Think XCOM) before the other side can do anything. This is still true turn based gaming. Once you add time as a major factor (with the sole exception of time limits for how long you can spend doing a turn) where every character acts at the same time, the system becomes real time.

There's also something called simultaneous turn based, but that's its entirely own thing, completely separate from regular turn based (and still not at all similar to real time). It's also almost never used, because 9 times out of 10 it sucks.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »

Simultaneous turn based has a significant problem of the player having no control, resulting in having to program way too much ahead of time for a turn, or not having any control.

Honestly, real-time pause-able, and with a time slider or settings is the best way to go if not doing turn based. People can play full real-time if they want, pause it if they want, and if the real-time between pauses is still too much, reduce the flow of time so that you can react to everything.

X-COM Apocalypse's implementation of this is still one of the best I've seen, although I'm sure there's some element of rose colored glasses. The same goes for most RPG of this type.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 04, 2012, 09:44:53 AM

Honestly, real-time pause-able, and with a time slider or settings is the best way to go if not doing turn based. People can play full real-time if they want, pause it if they want, and if the real-time between pauses is still too much, reduce the flow of time so that you can react to everything.

Agreed. I'll always prefer turn based, but the BG/Dragon Age way of handling things works for me. It's just the endless flow of "but BG could be played turn based", an argument that has been around for over 10 years and has been blatantly wrong the entire time, that rubs me the wrong way.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »

DAIII 'stuff' at E3.  I'm guessing a trailer, maybe a demo, probably a release date.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »

Well finally.

They're going to have to do a lot to convince me to buy it though. I appreciated most of what they were doing in DA2, but there's just some other major stuff that I find hard to forgive.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2013, 08:45:12 PM »

Quote from: skystride on November 30, 2012, 11:06:19 PM

I'm recently replaying Skyrim (quit earlier due to bugs) and the world design is simply the best I have ever seen in any video game.  The combat system is lacking though (Bethesda just doesn't get it even after so many Elder Scrolls games).

Wouldn't it be awesome if Skyrim had Dark Souls combat? Or Dragon's Dogma combat, for that matter.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 02, 2013, 08:45:12 PM

I'm recently replaying Skyrim (quit earlier due to bugs) and the world design is simply the best I have ever seen in any video game.  The combat system is lacking though (Bethesda just doesn't get it even after so many Elder Scrolls games).

Wouldn't it be awesome if Skyrim had Dark Souls combat? Or Dragon's Dogma combat, for that matter.

Not for us non twitch players it wouldn't. While I enjoyed most things about Dark souls I had to give up because I never got good enough at the combat.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2013, 04:34:01 AM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 03, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

Not for us non twitch players it wouldn't. While I enjoyed most things about Dark souls I had to give up because I never got good enough at the combat.

But combat in Elder Scrolls games is the worst part of the game. frown 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2013, 05:47:24 AM »

There's ways to improve it without resorting to arbitrarily locked animation systems. There's plenty of ways now to combine need for execution, without the clunky locked systems that those games employ.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2013, 06:38:10 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on June 03, 2013, 05:47:24 AM

There's ways to improve it without resorting to arbitrarily locked animation systems. There's plenty of ways now to combine need for execution, without the clunky locked systems that those games employ.

You say clunky and I say brilliant.  Guess I am alone on wishing for a game that mixed Skyrim and Dark Souls.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2013, 12:57:45 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on June 03, 2013, 06:38:10 AM

Quote from: Turtle on June 03, 2013, 05:47:24 AM

You say clunky and I say brilliant.  Guess I am alone on wishing for a game that mixed Skyrim and Dark Souls.

You obviously got a good handle down on Dark Souls combat that gave you a fair amount of success. The game would be a blast if I could do that. There are other things they could do to help Skyrim and the other Elder scroll games. Get rid of the damn auto leveling. Get rid of the need to be able to go anywhere on the map from day one and have success. Have some very, very tough enemies that could only be defeated by high level characters having exotic equipment they either discovered through arduous quests or arcane difficult crafting. Bethesda, as has been said, are the only people who could make fighting a dragon routine and boring. But this would be a radical departure for the series and will never come close to happening. Also, they sell millions and millions of these games and print money so they have every right to tell me to shut up. Sounds like I hate the series but I don't. I play them through and complete all but the most obscure stuff. But each iteration has been a little less exciting than the last, and I do agree that combat could be a lot more exciting.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »

With Bioware I've come to accept some clunky combat scenarios.  It's the story that I show up to see....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2013, 04:52:09 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM

With Bioware I've come to accept some clunky combat scenarios.  It's the story that I show up to see....

Even Bioware's recent stories seem designed by committee, as if they're sitting in a group and going through a checklist. DA2 got particularly bad because of the way they completely destroyed Anders (I mean, is there a single human being who played the DA1 expansion with Anders in his party who liked what they did with him in DA2? Anyone?), because it felt random, forced and disjointed, and because several stories were so buggy that they were impossible to finish (I couldn't finish my romance subplot because of this, for example).

Bioware doesn't exist any more. There's just EA now. I don't want EA to write my stories, as they appear to write solely based on market research. Dragon Age 1 was bold and interesting, with a story that seemed inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire in its focus on politics and unusual settings. DA2 felt like a cheap cash-in. Combine this with their other two reasonably recent games (Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic), and it's easy to see that everything we loved about Bioware is long gone.

There are far, far, FAR better storytellers among game developers out there. If this is the part of the games that interests you, have a look at the Witcher series as well as the various Kickstarter games that are starting to come out. Expeditions: Conquistador is a good start, a game that is made on a very low budget yet has writing that is a thousand times better than what Bioware/EA is able to regurgitate these days.

Yes, I'm bitter. I hate seeing corporations step all over things I love.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2013, 05:41:23 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on June 03, 2013, 04:52:09 PM

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on June 03, 2013, 04:42:35 PM

Even Bioware's recent stories seem designed by committee, as if they're sitting in a group and going through a checklist. DA2 got particularly bad because of the way they completely destroyed Anders (I mean, is there a single human being who played the DA1 expansion with Anders in his party who liked what they did with him in DA2? Anyone?), because it felt random, forced and disjointed, and because several stories were so buggy that they were impossible to finish (I couldn't finish my romance subplot because of this, for example).

Bioware doesn't exist any more. There's just EA now. I don't want EA to write my stories, as they appear to write solely based on market research. Dragon Age 1 was bold and interesting, with a story that seemed inspired by A Song of Ice and Fire in its focus on politics and unusual settings. DA2 felt like a cheap cash-in. Combine this with their other two reasonably recent games (Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic), and it's easy to see that everything we loved about Bioware is long gone.

There are far, far, FAR better storytellers among game developers out there. If this is the part of the games that interests you, have a look at the Witcher series as well as the various Kickstarter games that are starting to come out. Expeditions: Conquistador is a good start, a game that is made on a very low budget yet has writing that is a thousand times better than what Bioware/EA is able to regurgitate these days.

Yes, I'm bitter. I hate seeing corporations step all over things I love.

I think Obsidian tells some of the best stories in the biz.  It's a shame that they ship a boxed product that is overflowing with roaches....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2013, 05:59:30 PM »

I am out for DA3..  Sorry after ME3 and DA2 I won't be suckered again.  The next RPG I am looking forward to outside of Shadowrun Returns is Project Eternity in 2014

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2013, 06:42:23 PM »

I'm willing to give them one more shot for DAIII in hopes it can be what DAO was for me, which is the best rpg in a decade.  It sounds like they are taking the criticisms of DAII to heart.  I also thin CD projeckt does a great job in storytelling.  can't wait for Witcher 3 and especially Cyberpunk 2077.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt too, but as with any video game I'll wait & see rather than preordering or buying day 1. I think there's still plenty of good storytelling left at Bioware, but a problem I see  is that they have their best writers stretched too thin or they can't hold on to them. They lost Drew Karpyshyn last year to the greater world of writing, and David Gaider spent much of his time during DAII writing novels - he's credited as a major contributor DA II, but his involvement was the creation of the characters Cassandra, Fenris, and Meredith. On a positive note he's supposed to have had much more of his time dedicated to DA III: Inquisition, so that might be the difference that gets it back to the track of DA: Origins. I do generally agree though, that EA is pretty damn poor at instilling strong storytelling in many of their games.
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on June 03, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

Quote from: The Grue on June 02, 2013, 08:45:12 PM

Have you tried Dragon's Dogma?  The combat is not ultra twitchy, it's a bit more complex than Elder Scrolls combat and much much more fluid (which is what I hate about ES combat).  You can see Capcom's fighting game heritage come out in that game.  DD combat (even if they slowed it down a touch so as not to be to great a change) in an ES world would be amazing.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2013, 09:07:03 PM »

Much to the annoyance of CK

it's been pushed back a year to Fall 2014

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 10, 2013, 09:07:03 PM

I wouldn't say annoyance, more like surprise.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2013, 09:12:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2013, 09:09:12 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on June 10, 2013, 09:07:03 PM

I wouldn't say annoyance, more like surprise.

balls,you were nearly crying in the E3 thread Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2013, 09:13:11 PM »

Was not!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2013, 09:13:11 PM

Was not!

cwy baby,cwy baby

or maybe,.....it will be a bit later than 2014 even icon_biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2013, 09:54:02 PM »

That'll be the European release date.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2013, 09:55:56 PM »

Well, the good news is I can take my time finally playing DA1 and 2.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 10, 2013, 09:54:02 PM

That'll be the European release date.
probably right icon_cry

I do still need to play DA2,tried and tried to replay DA1,and i just can't(after getting 1100/1100 achievements for the game in the weekend it was released)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2013, 10:00:03 PM »

I may have to do another DA1 play through after finishing Skyrim.

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:58 PM »

Might be 2016 for me then. I don't buy a game till it gets to $10 on PC. It's fine. I still have plenty of fun stuff to play.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2013, 11:59:20 PM »

might want to drop the 3 from the title.  Think Bioware trying to get away from DA:O (which most fans adore) and DA2 which is generally dislike depending on the person

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 11, 2013, 12:51:39 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on June 10, 2013, 11:59:20 PM

might want to drop the 3 from the title.  Think Bioware trying to get away from DA:O (which most fans adore) and DA2 which is generally dislike depending on the person
Judging by the trailer this might be more of a direct sequel to the original than DA2 was.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 26, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »

*Checks for Ceekay*

Okay,i think it's safe!!

First In-Game Screenshot

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 26, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »

yay!  people standing around!

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:41 PM »

Yoooooooouuu Love it!!

I was actually expecting a Chicken Armour joke from you

Spoiler for Hiden:
Minecraft?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 26, 2013, 06:56:38 PM »

icon_lol

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 26, 2013, 07:48:27 PM »

1 mawaahahahaha... 2 mawahahaha ....3 mwahahahaha more sceenshots(oh...fuck,wrong thread Tongue)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2013, 07:56:22 PM »

more people!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 07:59:08 PM »

and a moon!  BEST GAME EVAR!

Because I can,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: