http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 11:13:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Age 2  (Read 7750 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2011, 07:26:14 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on February 23, 2011, 07:09:46 PM

Everything I've read has indicated that in order to get the signature edition you had to pre-order by January 8th, or something crazy like that.

oh,damn,i just signed up for an email to be sent when the Signature Edition is available...guess i wont be getting that Email

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »

I've got my signature edition all set through amazon, for $20 less due to credit on Killzone 3.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2011, 08:25:50 PM »

Actually that $300 price tag is a super deal! 

What?  The sword and shield aren't real?  Bummer.   icon_neutral

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 23, 2011, 03:41:25 PM

I think the best way to describe it is that mages in DA2 are still just as powerful, but now they're as powerful when in relation to the rest of the party. They work well with the party, and not just as big damage and control on their own. Party members don't just sit around for the purpose of protecting a mage when enemies close, instead now the mage works with the pary to blow stuff up alongside the party.

Again, this does not match my experience at all with DAO. I guess I'll have to download the demo and see for myself.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2011, 09:05:24 PM »

I believe the signature edition has an additional playable character, which is kind of lame, since they gave you the stone prisoner if you just bought the game new last time. Of course, it may really just be a playable character and not a full quest area.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »

The latest PC Gamer has a review for DA2, giving it a 94%, along with the rather bold claim that it features "the best RPG combat ever".  They say that the game really capitalizes on the world setup from DAO, and they praise the characters' personalities and their customizability.  Also,
Dragon Age 2 is the most impressive attempt I've seen at making player decisions mean something...Bioware was free to fill its creation with more character and vitality than any game in recent memory.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:34:40 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »

Posted in the PC forum (bad, I guess... I didn't see this thread for some reason...) anyway, it was ignored, so...

I was pretty bummed on the 360 demo, but I think some of my complaints may have been the result of me not knowing how to do stuff... I played DA1 on PC, so this was quite a bit different... I guess you have to mash the A button a lot to attack.

Can you pause and order on the console versions?  I read in a preview that you can, but I don't know how to do it... I saw where I could pause and access potions and give movement orders, but can I pause and go to specific player and tell them to use a specific spell?  If not on console, can you do that on PC?

I guess I don't get the complaints about the dialog wheel... the icon clarifies your response, which I think is sort of a step in the right direction, as in ME, it wasn't always clear the type of response you were going to give based on just the dialog blurb, and you of course know the type of response you really want to give... I'd rather it was clear.  I guess you could just always go to the same location knowing that's always the 'evil' response, but is that really something to be bothered by?  Is having to hunt for the evil response that much of a fun gameplay element?

Environments did seem sort of bland to me... overall things seemed kind of dumbed down... it's really hard to judge the quality of the story from such a small snippet, but I have reservations about the approach they are taking with this. I always like the feeling of heading out on an epic adventure, rather than revisiting episodic moments in someone's life over time, but maybe it will do the former as part of the latter. I hope so.

I will DL the PC demo and see what I think of that, I guess... hopefully some of the things I want to do are actually in there, I'm just not seeing how to access them.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2011, 03:14:44 AM »

it's funny but the attack controls(X,A and B or RT+X,A and B)are pretty much the exact controls that i am using right now for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2,may be a reason why i felt right at home with the attacking

Quote from: kratz on February 24, 2011, 12:11:30 AM

Can you pause and order on the console versions?  I read in a preview that you can, but I don't know how to do it... I saw where I could pause and access potions and give movement orders, but can I pause and go to specific player and tell them to use a specific spell?  If not on console, can you do that on PC?

if its in there,i didn't see it...but take into account that on my first playthrough of the demo i didn't know about the LT Radial button icon_biggrin

However,there is when you access your characters from the start button,something that looks like the Gambit system from Final Fantasy 12,but again i didn't really look into it,but i am guessing/hoping you can put orders through like FF12,because that rocked in FF12....'heal ally when under 25% health' for example

just restarted the demo to see
press start>>go to Character>>>Tactics

they do look like Gambits IMO,and when your mage levels up,you can then select heal,and have that as one of her Gambits on allies or self(i'm guessing)

another view is that FF12 was amazingly easy with the Gambits,levelling up,for the first time in a Final Fantasy game...was fun,i was absolutely well overpowered when i finished that game,i don't think my character lost any health on the last boss

but as for orders on the fly..not that i can see

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2011, 05:05:36 PM »

I still haven't played the demo, but in DAO you hold the LT to bring up the wheel which pauses the game and from there you can issue orders to all of your party members. To switch players, hit the shoulder buttons.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2011, 05:17:54 PM »

Thanks... I'll check that out... though I played the PC demo last night and that is obviously where it's at for me...
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2011, 02:20:27 AM »

Does the Dragon Age 2 demo contain spoilers about the first game? I downloaded it out of curiosity, but haven't played much of the first game yet. Don't want to load her up if it gives away the goodies on the ending of the first game.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2011, 02:27:45 AM »

Yes, it does contain spoilers for the first game. It hints at major spoilers and outcomes, and it also reveals some major things about a character.

Best reason to play DAO before DA2 is just for understanding of the world and such.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:32:36 AM by Turtle » Logged
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2011, 03:32:12 AM »

Well, that, and the fact that it's really good. icon_cool

I really need to get back to playing Awakening....

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2011, 04:15:54 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 28, 2011, 03:32:12 AM

Well, that, and the fact that it's really good. icon_cool

-Autistic Angel

replaying it now,very so-so

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:23 PM »

Ok. Downloaded the demo last night, and I'm extremely surprised to say that I was not impressed. I don't like the change in art style, and I really don't like the change in combat. It's a very minor change, but now the combat feels more like a button masher. Not good. I'm also disappointed that it looks like character creation has been significantly simplified. I can appreciate that the story they want to tell might not lend itself to a robust character creation, but unfortunately it looks like we are losing the various background stories that started Origins. Those background stories were some of my favorite parts of the game, as I played most of them with different characters to get a feel of what type of main character I really wanted to become.

I do like that they now gave a voice to the main character. It didn't bother me during my first playthrough of Origins, but I played Mass Effect 1 and 2 after Origins, and the silent main character started to bug me when I went back to finish up Awakening.

I'll probably still get this and enjoy it, but I didn't follow any of the news about this game so the demo was a big shock.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2011, 01:56:14 PM »

i am playing through DA:O now,and can't see any difference in the combat(A to engage,X,Y and B to use one set of Attacks/Powers and RT+X,Y and B for anotehr set of Attacks/Powers)

msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:11 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 01, 2011, 01:56:14 PM

i am playing through DA:O now,and can't see any difference in the combat(A to engage,X,Y and B to use one set of Attacks/Powers and RT+X,Y and B for anotehr set of Attacks/Powers)

It's very, very similar. The difference is that in Origins you didn't have to mash the A button to call up a normal attack after you had already engaged the enemy. Beyond that, the combat is much quicker in the demo, and just feels "arcadey".

Yesterday I finished Awakening, and then moved right over to the demo, so the differences really stood out. I plan on trying out the demo as the different characters. My first time through the demo I was the mage, because that's what my character was in Origins. Maybe I'll enjoy it more as a warrior or rogue.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2011, 02:16:49 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on March 01, 2011, 01:30:23 PM

Ok. Downloaded the demo last night, and I'm extremely surprised to say that I was not impressed. I don't like the change in art style, and I really don't like the change in combat. It's a very minor change, but now the combat feels more like a button masher.

The mashing A to attack was just a demo thing, in the full game you have the option to press A once to engage and then you will auto attack. At least that's what I read - I think someplace here on the forum...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:18:36 PM by Nonnahob » Logged

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:38 PM »

ahh,yeah i know what you mean now,,,i usually press A to engage(DA:O)with my tank and then rotate about and look after the other characters,or at least make sure the tactics are working properly

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2011, 02:27:32 PM »

Bioware should definitely update the demo after the game's release. This is also a great example of the dangers of early demos, and probably why so many developers release demos after the game's release.
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 01, 2011, 02:27:32 PM

Bioware should definitely update the demo after the game's release. This is also a great example of the dangers of early demos, and probably why so many developers release demos after the game's release.

Part of what made Dragon Age: Origins so great, IMO, is that it didn't apologize for trying to be a complex and epic RPG. It was very detailed, and reminded me a lot of playing Baldur's Gate and all of those great RPGs for the PC. The demo for Dragon Age 2 tries to cover up as much of the RPG elements as possible, and now instead of rolling my eyes at those people who were bitching and moaning about how Dragon Age 2 is going to be dumbed down, I'm starting to worry that they were correct.

For the record, I went back and replayed the demo as a warrior and rogue, and thoroughly enjoyed it. But it doesn't feel like a Dragon Age game to me. I don't sense any connection to those PC RPGs that I grew up playing, and the connection to Origins is barely there. I'll probably still pick up DA2, and hope that this is just an example of a terrible demo.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:54 PM »

That stretch of barren, linear terrain in the early demo was probably a poor choice to showcase the game (I hope it gets better).  

The jarring leap forward in the demo going from the conversation with Flemith to suddenly helping the pirate lady with the enormous boobs wasn't well done.  They could have neatly ended the demo after the Flemith meeting. It seemed like the developers just wanted to show me some pirate boobs as one last hook to get me to buy the game...which I completely get, because it combines too things I appreciate.  

Cut scene, combat, ogre, cut scene, combat, cut scene, ogre, combat, cut scene, combat, dragon, wimpy templar dies...emotional cut scene, Flemith, giant tanned boobs with blood splatter.  That's my summary of the demo.    

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 06:18:43 PM by Roguetad » Logged
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2011, 03:13:11 PM »

Dragon Age 2 shorter than Dragon Age Origins...but a bit longer than Mass Effect 2

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-02-dragon-age-ii-campaign-shorter-than-das

"The game will take longer with side quests. At the same time, you can get through the story quite a bit faster because so much content is off to the side. Mileage will always vary, just take your habits and extrapolate."

i bet you probably wont even notice

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 02, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »

Three e-mails to amazon and still no word on why they are offering release date shipping on the regular edition, but not the signature edition.

I'm going to end up paying $11.99 for ONE day shipping because I got the signature edition.

Anyone who orders the regular edition gets to pay $.99 for release date shipping.

If I didn't already have my $20 game credit + some gift card money, I'd say screw amazon on this one.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

I liked the demo on the PS3.   I am going with the PC though.    I may pick it up for the ps3 later after a price drop.  I loved playing the rogue, and the way backstab teleports you behind the enemy..
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2011, 09:42:05 PM »

Day one DLC....that you have to pay for if you want it

560 points

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/02/ea-bioware-show-off-day-one-dragon-age-ii-dlc.aspx

Dragon Age II will be available in stores next week, March 8, and the game follows its predecessor's example of day one DLC. Unlike Dragon Age: Origins, however, you'll have to pay to access the content whether or not you buy the game new. If you preordered the game, you're off the hook. If you're curious about what the Exiled Prince offers, BioWare and EA have released a new gameplay trailer.

trailer in the link

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:11 PM »

That's why I made sure to preorder the signature edition.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 02, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on March 02, 2011, 04:04:30 PM

Three e-mails to amazon and still no word on why they are offering release date shipping on the regular edition, but not the signature edition.

That's odd.  I have release date delivery on the PC Sig Edition.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »

That's really shameless. I get trying to make money off people who buy the game used, but making money off people who didn't pre-order the game new early enough?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2011, 11:19:25 PM »

Yeah, it is a bit. I can definitely understand the desire to incentivise new purchases, even withholding content to reward new buyers.

But pre-ordering is a bit silly for a game so high profile. People will just assume they're going to get one of the millions of copies shipped to stores.

On the other hand, they want to get people to pre-order that early so that stores will order more copies of the game, increasing the "shipped" number and the money they get on release day, but this method kind of failed to let people know and now is locking out content to fans who were already confident in their desire to buy the game.

What I read of this DLC sounds like it will be a party member similar to Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2011, 01:27:14 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 02, 2011, 11:19:25 PM

What I read of this DLC sounds like it will be a party member similar to Zaeed or Kasumi in ME2.

Zaeed sucked.  Kasumi kicked ass.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2011, 02:14:00 AM »

Well, Zaeed was just a merc with a grudge, not that interesting, his mission was just the usual merc hunt with 'splosions and an arbitrary good guy bad guy choice.

Kasumi was more nuanced, more a white collar rogue with a heart of gold deal and a great voice. Her mission had a nice bit of variation, and an interesting choice at the end.

Sebastion, the Exiled Prince, seems to be pretty interesting from the trailer they showed, but his character and quest could easily devolve into Zaeed's path, since their stories are similar.

Oh, by the way, they have said there will be an estate in Kirkwall for Hawke and co. So you'll be able to have something like those camp talks.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2011, 03:27:38 AM »

aren't Signature Edition (would be)buyers angry that they had to pre-order this before January,and now here is the DLC up for grabs for just 560 points?...sure you get the soundtrack(not my thing)and a few other pieces of armour(if thats not included in the DLC)with the Signature Edition..but i would be well pissed off,as this DLC would of been the main reason for me pre-ordering the SE

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2011, 03:37:49 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 03, 2011, 03:27:38 AM

aren't Signature Edition (would be)buyers angry that they had to pre-order this before January,and now here is the DLC up for grabs for just 560 points?...sure you get the soundtrack(not my thing)and a few other pieces of armour(if thats not included in the DLC)with the Signature Edition..but i would be well pissed off,as this DLC would of been the main reason for me pre-ordering the SE

wait, you're asking if people are going to be mad about not having to spend money to get DLC they're getting for free?

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:24 AM »

it was announced back in early January that the Exiled Prince DLC is included with every SE preorder, so i'm not sure what there is to be upset about.  if you put in your SE preorder, early then you're pretty much getting everything at no additional charge...doesn't seem like a bad deal to me...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2011, 03:43:41 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2011, 03:37:49 AM

wait, you're asking if people are going to be mad about not having to spend money to get DLC they're getting for free?

no i am asking if people are going to be mad pre-ordering months in advance thinking they were going to get exclusive DLC when actually they are not..and from day one

kinda glad i didn't get the Signature Edition from Amazon now,ordering especially and months early just to save 4.80..LOL

EDIT:

Quote from: disarm on March 03, 2011, 03:41:24 AM

it was announced back in early January that the Exiled Prince DLC is included with every SE preorder, so i'm not sure what there is to be upset about.  if you put in your SE preorder, early then you're pretty much getting everything at no additional charge...doesn't seem like a bad deal to me...

yeah i get that,but the same DLC has just been announced today as day one DLC on the marketplace

look at it this way,The Stone Prisoner DLC that came FREE with every new copy of DA:O cost 1200 points on the marketplace from day one
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 03:46:23 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2011, 03:19:51 PM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on March 02, 2011, 04:04:30 PM

I'm going to end up paying $11.99 for ONE day shipping because I got the signature edition.

Anyone who orders the regular edition gets to pay $.99 for release date shipping.

If I didn't already have my $20 game credit + some gift card money, I'd say screw amazon on this one.

You aren't alone in this.  When I ordered on the 11th I didn't get the release day shipping offer.  I assumed that I would be upgraded later.  Sadly looks like I will be getting the game on the 10th

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 03, 2011, 03:43:41 AM

no i am asking if people are going to be mad pre-ordering months in advance thinking they were going to get exclusive DLC when actually they are not..and from day one

ah gotcha.  nope, not mad.  I don't think they ever said it was exclusive (it was announced as a 'code for an extra playable character', which right there was a giveaway it wasn't exclusive); I actually pretty sure they said it would be available on day one too before the Sinature Edition's pre-order deadline.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2011, 04:22:50 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 03, 2011, 03:39:33 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 03, 2011, 03:43:41 AM

ah gotcha.  nope, not mad.  I don't think they ever said it was exclusive (it was announced as a 'code for an extra playable character', which right there was a giveaway it wasn't exclusive); I actually pretty sure they said it would be available on day one too before the Sinature Edition's pre-order deadline.

ahh i suppose that's okay then,i thought they were trying to screw you over(see i am looking out for you guys Tongue)

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2011, 05:24:09 PM »

according to Major Nelson there is another piece of DLC out on day one for 800 points,called The Black Emporium

not sure if that is included in the Signature Edition though,be good if it was (for you guys of course Roll Eyes)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: