http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 08:16:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DQ8 - questions (may contain slight spoilers)  (Read 930 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:58:18 PM »

As I play I have questions from time to time so I thought I would post here and see if people know answers.

1. Yangus's whistle...how does it work?  I have tried it often outside to see if there are treasure chests around but nothing ever happens.  Does it only work in dungeons?

2. Monster 'collecting'. The guy gave me three pieces of paper with monsters to send his way but how do I do that?  I have fought some of those monsters but never get any special message.  Do I need to give them the piece of paper?

Those are it for now.

Thanks

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 09:06:45 PM »

1.  I think you mean "Nose for Treasure" and yeah as near as I can figure it only works in towns and dungeons- not on the world map.

Whistle is for instantaneously spawning monster encounters.

2.  Yes you need the paper- though it only has to be in your inventory (either character or bag).  At the time you receive the "recipes" you should only have encountered one of the enemies previously- you need to to refight it (hint:  the blue slime is *not* one from the first area).
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 09:16:53 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
1.  I think you mean "Nose for Treasure" and yeah as near as I can figure it only works in towns and dungeons- not on the world map.

Whistle is for instantaneously spawning monster encounters.

Yes "Nose for Treasure"  totally blanked on the name.  

It is annoying that it doesn't work outside becuase that is where I have a hard time finding treasure chests.  Dungeons are closed spaces but outside is huge!

2.  Yes you need the paper- though it only has to be in your inventory (either character or bag).  At the time you receive the "recipes" you should only have encountered one of the enemies previously- you need to to refight it (hint:  the blue slime is *not* one from the first area).

Humm, I had it in my bag and faced on of the kalamari but nothing happened...should I have seen a message or something?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 09:19:30 PM »

Was it a special monster (the kind you can see on a world map) on the beach that the recipe referenced (near the lady bandit)?  If so, then once you defeat it you will get a message the the monster rises up again, looks at your party with respect, and then you will get the choice to send the monster to Morrie's.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 09:21:46 PM »

Humm, I had it in my bag and faced on of the kalamari but nothing happened...should I have seen a message or something?

Was it the right Kalamari?  He's visible before you approach and his name's Squiggles or something like that.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 09:23:40 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Was it a special monster (the kind you can see on a world map) on the beach that the recipe referenced (near the lady bandit)?  If so, then once you defeat it you will get a message the the monster rises up again, looks at your party with respect, and then you will get the choice to send the monster to Morrie's.

No it was one of the babies in a group, so it wasn't the right little twerp.

I think I will go after them tonight rather than working on getting the ship (the next story quest).  It sounds like fun to find them.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 09:31:28 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I think I will go after them tonight rather than working on getting the ship (the next story quest).  It sounds like fun to find them.

If you are where I think you are, you might have to progress just a wee bit more into the story before you can get to one of the three monsters on the list.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 10:51:42 PM »

Anyone know how many monsters are available for the Monster Arena?  

I've only run into maybe five or so named monsters so far.  Do more appear once the arena becomes available?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 10:54:43 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"

I've only run into maybe five or so named monsters so far.  Do more appear once the arena becomes available?

All of the "super tough" (ie appear on the world map) monsters are recruitable.  After you have access to the Monster Arena you can return to previous areas you visited and recruit them.  I also believe that certain monsters only appear at night.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 12:35:35 AM »

Yes, certain named enemies are only around at night, and there are other conditions for them appearing as well.  I just got to Alexandria, and there have been 5 that I've seen so far.  According to the FAQ, there are around 80 monsters to recruit.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 06:28:15 AM »

On the subject of monster recruiting :
Am I only able to hold 4 total monsters?  Is there a way to keep the one's I've already recruited without having to release them to make room for another?  It seems like a pain to have to hunt them down again if I want them back on my team later on.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2005, 01:59:15 PM »

More become available as you beat different ranks.  So once you beat "D" rank there will be more monsters roaming around to collect.

If you are a person who likes guides here is a Monster Area FAQ which details which monsters become available and when.  It also describes each rank, what are good teams, what teams have special moves or bonuses.  It is quite detailed and very useful.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 02:26:23 PM »

(He means the Monster Arena FAQ here)
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 04:33:55 PM »

On the subject of monster recruiting :
Am I only able to hold 4 total monsters?  Is there a way to keep the one's I've already recruited without having to release them to make room for another?  It seems like a pain to have to hunt them down again if I want them back on my team later on.

Once you beat the first rank, you're allowed to keep three monsters as backups. I've only beat that rank so far, though, so I don't know if you get more spaces after that.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »

My Hackzilla / One-Knight Stand / Pain in the Neck team is kicking Monster Arena arse!

Me, I finally got the ship this week and am still loving this game!

Spoiler for Hiden:

When I got to Trodain Castle, I was finding that Trode was telling me I was too high-levelled, which had me concerned since I wasn't powerlevelling, just exploring the gameworld thoroughly.

Fortunately, since receiving the ship and exploring new lands, the challenge of the enemies has ramped up a bit more to make my levels more reasonable once again.  Makes me a happy camper!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: