http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 07:58:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure)  (Read 4681 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:19 AM »

Another video update with some information on how to get a prepaid credit card or something, but mostly just another funny video with Tim.

And tomorrow (Tuesday the 13th) Double Fine will be celebrating the last few hours of campaign with a live Ustream video event starting at 3pm Pacific. 

Also, they're going to crack $3 million soon.  smile

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »

Actually, you need to include the reward tiers above it in your total (currently at 10845), as they include previous tiers. Speaking strictly at a value proposition level, the distribution of said stuff is going to cost them to produce and ship. The intangible stuff means that they have a higher profit margin to be able to direct it to game development.

I'm comfortable with my contribution, and I'm happy to help them out.

They have more than 10k donations not being listed on the page.

Tallying up their current list, it adds up to 2854075 - they're over 3.0million, so there is at least 15,000 not represented by those groups.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 01:33:32 AM »

Final tally from Kickstarter: $3,335,325.  Tim mentioned they had at least a couple takers for their non-Kickstarter large amount backings as well (at least two at $50k), so I guess they made their targets.  smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 10:17:59 PM »

they've re-opened the $15 pre-order for those who didn't get in on the Kickstarter.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 06:27:31 AM »

Rob Gilbert revealed some playable characters for this on his blog.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 06:28:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2012, 06:27:31 AM

No, those are for Ron Gilbert's game that he has been working on for the last year+.  If you're a backer you can see the info they've released in the backer's forums.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 22, 2012, 06:28:59 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2012, 06:27:31 AM

No, those are for Ron Gilbert's game that he has been working on for the last year+.  If you're a backer you can see the info they've released in the backer's forums.

ah, disregard then.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »

Broken Age.

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2013, 09:55:47 PM »

IN!!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2013, 10:54:52 PM »

Kickstarting this game has been worth it for the documentary episodes alone.  They are uniformly great. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2013, 04:10:27 AM »

teaser.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 04:01:38 AM »

a backers only update has naturally been leaked to the rest of us:

Episode 10: Part One of Something Great

We were always planning to release the beta on Steam, but in addition to that we now have Steam Early Access, which is a new opportunity that actually lets you charge money for pre-release content. That means we could actually sell this early access version of the game to the public at large, and use that money to fund the remaining game development. The second part of the game would come in a free update a few months down the road, closer to April-May.

So, everybody gets to play the game sooner, and we donít have to cut the game down drastically. Backers still get the whole game this wayónobody has to pay again for the second half.

And whatever date we start selling the early release, backers still have exclusive beta access before that, as promised in the Kickstarter.

I want to point out that Broken Ageís schedule changes have nothing to do with the team working slowly. They have been kicking ass and the game looks, plays, and sounds amazing. Itís just taking a while because I designed too much game, as I pretty much always do. But weíre pulling it in, and the good news is that the gameís design is now 100% done, so most of the unknowns are now gone and itís not going to get any bigger.

Because I can,
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »

Crazy.  The original goal was $400,000 and they pulled in $3.3M.  And now they need more money.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:45:08 PM by Greggy_D » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »

The game is now available on Steam (through Humble Bundle) for backers. Going to play it right now. smile

Edit: Also, someone should update the thread title to read "Broken Age" instead of Double Fine Adventure.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 14, 2014, 06:06:28 PM

Edit: Also, someone should update the thread title to read "Broken Age" instead of Double Fine Adventure.

Done and done.  smile

th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2014, 05:12:24 PM »

I put in about 45 minutes last night while my two daughter looked on, and all three of us were thoroughly delighted. I was VERY sad I had work to do and couldn't continue playing (and very sad that I won't be able to play tonight either)

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2014, 09:30:53 PM »

Just finished all of Act 1. Have to say I really enjoyed it. The art style is amazing and I really enjoyed the stories. Ending makes the wait for Act 2 unbearable.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2014, 09:40:23 PM »

Just finished it too. The end surprised me, even if in hindsight it shouldn't have. Now certain parts of the early game appear in a much different light. smile
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 16, 2014, 09:40:23 PM

Just finished it too. The end surprised me, even if in hindsight it shouldn't have. Now certain parts of the early game appear in a much different light. smile

Yeah, can't wait to find out what the deal with all that is.  Was a surprise to me as well.  Oh man...and you just made me think a little more about it and I just realized something...

Spoiler for Hiden:
When you're going to lift the creatures with the spaceship...that's you picking up the maidens.  Now, I'm trying to remember...did one of your missions seem to match her escaping from you?  I think when I ended the game, I was so shocked that he was inside the creature that it didn't occur to me to think more about what that might mean.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2014, 03:32:08 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on January 17, 2014, 01:34:33 AM

Quote from: TiLT on January 16, 2014, 09:40:23 PM

Yeah, can't wait to find out what the deal with all that is.  Was a surprise to me as well.  Oh man...and you just made me think a little more about it and I just realized something...

Spoiler for Hiden:
When you're going to lift the creatures with the spaceship...that's you picking up the maidens.  Now, I'm trying to remember...did one of your missions seem to match her escaping from you?  I think when I ended the game, I was so shocked that he was inside the creature that it didn't occur to me to think more about what that might mean.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, it definitely seems like your "rescuing" of alien creatures is actually you picking up maidens. Here's a couple of thoughts about what's going on:

Mog Chothra comes around every 14 or 17 years, from what I recall Vella being told. This likely means that a baby boy is placed inside it and raised by the AI. When he becomes old enough, the Marek program kicks in, and Mog Chothra starts preying on the villages for some reason. Once this happens, something is done with the boy (probably inside the room that Mom wouldn't open for you), another one takes his place, and the cycle begins anew.

Here's a question that will gnaw at you: Is the space traveler you encounter a previous Mog Chothra resident?

More thoughts: Maybe the game occurs in the far future after some kind of disaster on Earth, and Mog Chothra is an advanced program built to preserve a pure strain of the human race? The maidens are gathered to find a suitable genetic match. The selected maid and the boy breed, and their offspring continues the process.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 03:34:23 AM by TiLT » Logged
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

Tilt, which order did you play the parts in?  I did Vella and then Shay, but realized that if I had done Shay first, then the ending might not have been as much of a shock.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2014, 11:19:26 PM »

I did Shay, then Vella, then Shay again.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »

Well, that was shorter than I thought.  It was fun and not too hard.  Maybe I misunderstood the whole so big we have to break it into two parts.  I look forward to part two, but I hope it's a bit longer if it wants to live up to some of the classics.  At least I never ended up fighting the interface more than playing the game.

Was Shay's adventure easier or did I just get back in the adventure game groove after playing Vella?

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 04:11:53 AM »

Yeah, I found it very short as well.  Frankly disappointingly short.  Steam has my play time recorded at 3 hours, and the way I play adventure games is to try and see and hear all the writing and dialog options.

I played Shay's adventure first, but it did seem pretty easy.

Hopefully they can finish the second half of this game at a better pace with the engine in place and most of the characters and scenery done now.  Art creation seemed to be one of the big blockers for this one.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2014, 04:18:00 AM »

I just finished Act 1... and didn't like it very much. Maybe The Night of the Rabbit was simply a hard act to follow (it's the last traditional adventure game I played). I'm disappointed in the quality of the writing and the gameplay in general. The puzzles aren't very fun and the sense of adventure and exploration wasn't there for me. The world and the characters are somewhat interesting, definitely unique, but I never became fully absorbed by any of it.

Cool plot twists...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Reminds me of Ender's Game

I'm hoping Act 2 is better.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »

Steam has this as today's deal for $16.74

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 09:03:06 PM »

Quote from: Caine on March 06, 2014, 06:05:34 PM

Steam has this as today's deal for $16.74

I also have multiple 25% off coupons on Steam for anyone who's interested.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2014, 02:09:59 PM »

Double Fineís Broken Age is coming to iPad in 'a matter of weeks'

Now, six months after the game was launched on PC for backers, Double Fine has announced that the iPad version of Broken Age Act 1 is ďin the final stretchĒ and should be in our hands in ďa matter of weeks."

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2014, 07:04:26 PM »

so, general consensus on this one?  Steam has this for a flash sale at $8.49 today. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2014, 07:09:15 PM »

Quote from: Caine on June 28, 2014, 07:04:26 PM

so, general consensus on this one?  Steam has this for a flash sale at $8.49 today. 

I think it's fantastic.  Well worth $8.50 if you're remotely interested.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2014, 08:42:39 PM »

Itís a well-made traditional adventure game.  For what it is, itís very good.  I found it lackluster only because I think Iíve outgrown traditional adventure games.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2014, 08:31:31 PM »

I quit half way through.  It just didn't grab me and I am an adventure game fan. 
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:20 PM »

Torn on this one for PS 4.   I really only played Monkey Island and Grim Fandango in regard to Adventure games.  Always enjoyed thoughts, but never played others.  Think this would be a good fit?  Kinda in the mood for one.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »

Quote from: Travis on June 29, 2014, 08:31:31 PM

I quit half way through.  It just didn't grab me and I am an adventure game fan. 

I didn't like it. I thought the puzzles were lame and the gameplay extremely repetitive, even compared to the usual amount of backtracking in most adventure games.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »

I gave it a meh
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »

Yeah, I have to go with the crowd and say that it was underwhelming, if decent in parts.  Maybe as an early Kickstarter backer it could never live up to my hopes and dreams, but it just didn't really recapture the magic and humor of the older Tim Schafer adventure games that I love.

However, for the price it was going for (~$8.50) I would have said it's probably worthwhile.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2014, 04:44:28 AM »

I loved it, for what it's worth. The nay-sayers in this thread are just getting old, and that's halfway serious. Expectations are different, but Broken Age delivers on everything it was supposed to and is both funny and charming, with a good story. The problem is that veteran gamers have a very hard (if not impossible) time getting impressed by adventure games after all these years.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2014, 04:54:17 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2014, 04:44:28 AM

The problem is that veteran gamers have a very hard (if not impossible) time getting impressed by adventure games after all these years.

That may be true but I liked The Cat Lady and still play old Sierra games that I think would be considered bad like Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2014, 03:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Travis on July 03, 2014, 04:54:17 AM

Quote from: TiLT on July 02, 2014, 04:44:28 AM

The problem is that veteran gamers have a very hard (if not impossible) time getting impressed by adventure games after all these years.

That may be true but I liked The Cat Lady and still play old Sierra games that I think would be considered bad like Phantasmagoria and Gabriel Knight 2.
Seems like your problem might be with COMEDY adventure games then.  icon_smile
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2014, 03:53:19 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on July 03, 2014, 03:57:41 PM

Seems like your problem might be with COMEDY adventure games then.  icon_smile

Well, along the line of my poor taste I liked all of the LSL games (even the recent remake).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: