http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:37:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure)  (Read 3669 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2012, 02:45:57 AM »

Oh hells yes.  

Go here to check out the video and writeup with more details, but all you really need to know is that Double Fine Productions is having a Kickstarter campaign to fund the making of a classic point-and-click adventure game as well as a documentary about the process as it gets made.  

Tim Schafer and Double Fine making a new adventure game...what could possibly go wrong?   icon_biggrin

EDIT: Cripes, they're already up to $50 grand, which is double the amount when I first posted.  Hopefully they reach this goal really quickly and surpass it.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:32:04 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:29:44 AM »

45 minutes later, they're at 80 grand.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:49:47 AM »

I soooo love Kickstarter! This is the 5th project I've backed, and so far I've been happy with every one.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:52:04 AM »

And make that total north of $100,000 already.  Over 1/4 of the way there in less than a couple hours?  Kickstarter rules!  smile

EDIT: and now over halfway there.  This is ridiculous how fast they are getting funding.  And I bet Notch hasn't even woken up yet.  slywink
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 05:48:32 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »

And it's fully funded! I added $30 of my own. smile
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »

Holy crap... it was at ~159k when I went to bed, now it's fully funded?  icon_eek

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:18 PM »

Well, technically it's $162,000 beyond full funding at the time of writing. slywink
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »

I can't believe how fast this is going up, it's already over $560K. I actually just heard about this on my local radio station (RadioU, the morning DJ is a big gamer). The $100 tier is really really tempting, just to see my name in the credits....
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 04:48:39 PM »

Quote from: Calavera on February 09, 2012, 02:40:50 PM

I can't believe how fast this is going up, it's already over $560K. I actually just heard about this on my local radio station (RadioU, the morning DJ is a big gamer). The $100 tier is really really tempting, just to see my name in the credits....

Make that over $660K.  smile  So happy that this made record progress in less than a day.  It just goes to show that people will back games they want.

And yeah, I ended up going with the $100 tier right away last night, but clearly that special thanks section of the credits is going to be a flood of names with almost 1500 backers already.

Oh, and I can't wait until Tim wakes up and gets on Twitter to see the new total.  Clearly he stayed up to see it hit the goal last night.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:51:07 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 07:20:47 PM »

They are up over 800K now.  I gave $250 just as a thanks for all the great games Tim has made.  I wish I wealthy and could afford giving a huge amount of money.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »

This is awesome! I'm very happy for them. Kickstarter just rawks to get projects done.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:42:25 PM »

Oh good grief...ONE MEELLION dollars!   eek  In less than 24 hours!

And thankfully that means Tim has to hold up his end of the bargain:

$955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!

biggrin

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 11:45:22 PM »

I think now that they hit 1 million they should start funding another game, and then another one every million dollars after that.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 11:46:32 PM »

And apparently they broke Kickstarter...

Chordian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

$15 from me and a big mention on my Facebook wall.

EDIT: Increased the pledge later to $30.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:05:50 PM by Chordian » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2012, 11:45:22 PM

I think now that they hit 1 million they should start funding another game, and then another one every million dollars after that.

They won't do that, as that would break a fundamental promise they make in the Kickstarter itself: Any money above the initial $400,000 will be used to improve the quality of the game and the documentary. More money means better and more music, better voice actors, better graphics, etc...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »

It'll probably have unskippable cutscenes like their other games.  blech  ninja
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 10, 2012, 11:28:07 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on February 09, 2012, 11:45:22 PM

They won't do that, as that would break a fundamental promise they make in the Kickstarter itself: Any money above the initial $400,000 will be used to improve the quality of the game and the documentary. More money means better and more music, better voice actors, better graphics, etc...

At 1.2M now... Crazy...

Here's hoping for a Michael Land soundtrack. If Telltale could get him for ToMI, hopefully the co-creators of SoMI can get him onboard for this project...
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on February 10, 2012, 12:18:06 PM

It'll probably have unskippable cutscenes like their other games.  blech  ninja

Well, that is what people in the forums they will set up for development can bitch about.  In fact, I will create that thread myself.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 03:13:50 PM »

Only another 32 days to go!  icon_lol

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 03:43:19 AM »

Funding seems to have slowed down considerably, but they are just on the cusp of $1.5 million.

For comparison, Tim mentioned that the budget for Day of the Tentacle was about $600K, Full Throttle was about $1.5M, and Grim Fandango was $3M.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 09:08:46 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 11, 2012, 03:43:19 AM

Funding seems to have slowed down considerably, but they are just on the cusp of $1.5 million.

For comparison, Tim mentioned that the budget for Day of the Tentacle was about $600K, Full Throttle was about $1.5M, and Grim Fandango was $3M.

Adjusted for inflation?
Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on February 11, 2012, 09:08:46 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 11, 2012, 03:43:19 AM

Adjusted for inflation?

According to here:

DoTT = $600K in 1993 = ~$934K
FT = $1.5M in 1994 = ~$2.27M
GF = $3M in 1998 = ~$4.14M

This is somewhat misleading, though, as it doesn't take into consideration the differences in team sizes and other resources required for the different games...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »

Yeah, inflation really does change the perspective on budgets.  However:

But we are starting to get into Costume Quest/Stacking/Iron Brigade budget territory. Those were around 2 million. Interesting...

The one thing I really want in this game that wasn't in Costume Quest or Stacking is voice acting.  It just adds so much to have it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »

Tim has put out a video update confirming the game will be released on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS and some Android devices.  There will also be voice acting and subtitles for the EFIGS languages, and no DRM on the final version.

Also, they are up over $1.8 million now.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »

Android devices biggrin

Sent from my Acer Iconia A500 using Tapatalk

Go Gunners...
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »

Everybody here is always so cynical about everything, I don't understand why people aren't expressing skepticism that the funds will actually be used for game development, as opposed to, say, buying Tim Schaefer a gold plated toilet with a mink-lined toilet seat.  icon_razz

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 05:27:58 PM »

Because Tim Shaefer deserves to be comfy when he poops too.

PS: Why, are you selling yours?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »

As expected, they have now surpassed $2 million.  They still have 22 days left in the Kickstarter campaign, though pledges have slowed to a trickle the last few days so I don't expect it to go significantly higher.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »

They only have themselves to blame that the money flow has more or less stopped. The Order of the Stick kickstarter is a good indication of how this should be done.

(click to see in full size)

Now THIS is how it should be done. Rich Burlew kept enthusiasm going throughout the entire fundraiser, continually adding new rewards and writing semi-daily updates. By drawing and updating that graph he was able to add goals that the community could strive for the entire way, even now that we're a single day away from its end. The result speaks for itself. There isn't so much a curve as a line. In fact, it gets steeper towards the end!

With Double Fine Adventure being an example for the indie industry, it's a damn shame that they haven't done a single thing to keep the ball rolling. Imagine how far they could go if they actually communicated with the fans and customers at this early stage. Sure, they plan on doing thorough communication later, after the Kickstarter has ended, but then it's too late. I can't imagine why they don't see this.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:36 PM »

Maybe you should tweet that to Mr Schafer.  slywink  I have a feeling that Double Fine were nowhere near prepared for their sort of success and don't have a lot of concrete goals set up like OOTS did for certain books, print runs, etc.  And it isn't like organization and planning are their strong points.

It is very impressive that OOTS was able to keep their momentum going like that.  From the past Kickstarter drives I've watched that line is definitely outside the norm.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:50:17 PM by EngineNo9 » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 11:05:28 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 20, 2012, 10:48:36 PM

I have a feeling that Double Fine were nowhere near prepared for their sort of success and don't have a lot of concrete goals set up like OOTS did for certain books, print runs, etc.  And it isn't like organization and planning are their strong points.

Rich Burlew wasn't prepared, either.  From this interview:

Your project hit its goal within 48 hours of launching! What were you thinking when your project blasted off, and were you at all prepared for how successful it would become?

No, I was tragically underprepared. I never thought we'd get anywhere near the response we've gotten, and it's been a daily struggle to keep up with the progress of the whole thing. What I was thinking when I hit the Launch Project button was something roughly analogous to, "I hope I'm not making a terrible mistake." As it turned out, I wasn't.

And here's a nice snippet of his latest project update showing how appreciative he is:

Before I get on to the other business at hand, let me say this: It's all you. I make silly stick figures for a living, but you're the ones who care about them enough to make this happen. I couldn't have done it without your help—literally, of course, but also in more intangible ways. Nine years is a long time to draw stick figures, and I've had days where I just wanted to wrap the whole thing up early and move on to something else. But now that I know I have this kind of support out there, it will be that much easier to keep going during the hard times. So I'll keep working to make OOTS better and we'll keep this spirit going through the end of the pledge drive, through the rest of the year, and on into whatever the future holds. Thank you.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 12:11:47 AM »

They have put out another update, including more rewards for the $30, $60, $100 and $500 levels, as well as a 35 minute video of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert talking about adventure games and this project and stuff (which took place before the Kickstarter actually went up).

Ahoy, Backers of Adventure!  And potential Backers of Adventure!  And Haters of Adventure who come here whenever they feel like gnashing their teeth and seething with rage!

To the first group, we’d like to say THANK YOU again for the incredible support you've given this project. You’ve changed the way we are thinking about it, and you’ve changed the way EVERYBODY is thinking about a lot of things.

To say thanks to the first group, to entice the second group to join the first group, and to confound and annoy the third group, we are now offering these NEW REWARDS!

• The Digital Soundtrack of the Documentary  ($30 reward tier)  Listen to the awesome game soundtrack at the same time as the awesome documentary soundtrack!  I don’t know if that makes sense, or if it’s even medically advisable, but at least this way you have the option!
  • Special edition box containing both the game disc and a DVD/Blu-Ray of the documentary ($100 reward tier)  Perhaps you’re not hip to this digital download craze.  Or maybe you just like really nice boxes to put on your mantel so that your guests might linger and admire them while you pour another scotch.  Either way, this is gonna be suuuper rad.
  • The Double Fine Adventure Book  ($60 reward tier for a digital PDF, $500 reward tier for a physical copy)  WTF? ART? In your MFing HANDS? Whoa Nellie, this is an exciting new development!  Filled with concept art, developer bios, excerpts from the game’s script, and deep dark secrets, this book will further expand on this entire adventure.  It will be made available both as a super nice, mantel-ready hardcover book in the $500 reward tier, and as a digital PDF in the $60 reward tier for people who just want to read it on the crapper with their iPads. (By the way, never ask to borrow my iPad.)

SO MANY NEW REWARDS!!!!  To memorialize this momentous occasion, we’ve got a special treat for you.  About a month before we launched the Kickstarter we filmed a 35 minute conversation in which Tim and Ron discussed what adventure games are, what it is like to make them, and what different forms they’ve taken over the years.  It’s like watching Bill Moyers talking to Joseph Campbell, but if those guys were cool.

This project has really grown into something much larger than we were expecting, which is-scientifically speaking-awesome.  Many of you have been asking if this means we’ll be taking a bit more time with the production, and the answer is yes. This is not a cute, quick little game anymore. This is the real deal. This is a capital-G Game. This means that some rewards might show up a bit later than originally intended but fear not, it’s all to make sure we provide you with something that is worthy of the love bomb you detonated over Double Fine. Kaaaaa-blooooxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxo!

That’s the sound a love bomb makes.

THANKS AGAIN AND WE’LL BE TALKING MORE SOON!!!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:14:36 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2012, 01:39:42 AM »

With 4 days left they have surpassed $2.5 million, added a new video from Tim, and also added some new rewards:

•  The Collector's Edition will be packaged in a cardboard box reminiscent of the old school games we all know and love.  It will be awesome.

•  Mr. Schafer himself will be signing all of the Double Fine Adventure books.  He'll also gently caress all of their bindings.  I mean, if you're into it.

•  We've added a fancy new shirt to the $100 tier so you may show the world how amazing you are.  Check it out!:

If you haven't done so, now is the time to kick in some cash.  I suggest the $100 range as the sweet spot for the special edition game/documentary, t-shirt, poster and other goodies.   icon_biggrin

And since I'm in here talking to myself, here is an interview with Tim on the PA Report talking about the potential possibilities of Psychonauts 2.

And also a pictorial of what Tim is doing with your Kickstarter money. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:45:19 AM by EngineNo9 » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 10, 2012, 01:39:42 AM

And also a pictorial of what Tim is doing with your Kickstarter money. 

that is freaking awesome.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »

I don't own a $100 t-shirt, and I'm not going to start now. I've contributed, and I'm OK with that.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2012, 04:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on March 12, 2012, 03:35:45 PM

I don't own a $100 t-shirt, and I'm not going to start now. I've contributed, and I'm OK with that.

Well, if you want to go there, it is actually $100 for a t-shirt, exclusive special edition boxed copy of the game and blu-ray of the documentary, exclusive game poster, PDF version of the Double Fine Adventure Book, HD download of the documentary and extras, download of the game soundtrack, download of the documentary soundtrack, DRM-free download of the game, and your name in the credits.  But whatever.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »

You could always wait for the Steam sale.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2012, 05:21:46 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on March 12, 2012, 04:06:02 PM

Quote from: Purge on March 12, 2012, 03:35:45 PM

Well, if you want to go there, it is actually $100 for a :{snipsnip}But whatever.

Tangibles:

T-shirt*
exclusive special edition boxed copy of the game *
blu-ray of the documentary*
exclusive game poster*

PDF version of the Double Fine Adventure Book
HD download of the documentary and extras
download of the game soundtrack
download of the documentary soundtrack
DRM-free download of the game
and your name in the credits*

The starred items are the only things over and above the $60 tier option.
The things that show up? Most of them (IMO) end up dust collectors that I eventually box away and never care about. To then have to pay an extra 10bux for it for shipping? It doesn't make good sense to me.

As for the name in credits? Well, at 2.8 million pledged, I'm guessing that they're going to play "Stairway to Heaven" 6 times over if that list is as big as I think it's going to be (and certainly is going to take that long if the names are readable).

If half the money came from $100 pledges, that means that you're looking down the barrel of a list of approximately 14000 names. The higher pledges (namely, the 10k, 5k, etc) are going to get special treatment, but the rest, if displayed at 20 names/second, are going to take 12 minutes of blurred names.

I appreciate the thought, but here's my money for a game unseen. I don't need its swag, and I don't understand why you think that's a bad thing.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 09:20:07 PM »

You can see exactly how many people have contributed at each level, and it is 8825 at the $100 level right now.  Tongue

Whether you find any of that other stuff worthwhile is clearly up to you, but I'm just saying that it isn't even close to accurate to say you only get a t-shirt for $100.  Personally I gave my money to support a company that makes games I want to see keep being released, all the other stuff is gravy. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: