http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 04:27:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 4  (Read 1069 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »

after being declared 'not cancelled' by Bethesda it appears that someone may have gotten their hands on some screenshots from the game.  it'd be cool if these were real, because it looks like it will be Hell on Earth  icon_twisted
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:37:38 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:03:16 AM »

Not sure what you saw there; all I saw was a solid black screen.

Btw, shouldn't this be called Dark 2: Die Darker? 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »

good point-  those pics aren't solid black so they must be fake slywink

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 09:49:14 PM »

id's mobile game division has been shot down to focus on Doom 4 and other games, which will be released 'when they're done'.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »

they talked about Doom 4 at Quakecon.  The progress on the game was reset at some point:

“It wasn’t one thing,” Willits tells IGN. “It wasn’t like the art was bad, or the programming was bad. Every game has a soul. Every game has a spirit. When you played Rage, you got the spirit. And [Doom] did not have the spirit, it did not have the soul, it didn’t have a personality. It had a bit of schizophrenia, a little bit of an identity crisis. It didn’t have the passion and soul of what an id game is. Everyone knows the feeling of Doom, but it’s very hard to articulate.”

When asked what Doom 4 was prior to its reset (and likely transition to next-gen consoles), Hines says bluntly, “Not Doom 4.”

Neither Bethesda nor id could recognize Doom in the game they were making, so they agreed to start over on the next Doom -- a game which Willits emphasizes was never formally announced, but revealed in job listings.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »

Arguably, Rage didn't have the spirit either. The entire Id crew has lost touch with the spirit. I could tell you real horror stories about working there. It's no wonder they sold to Zenimax.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »

to me, id never made good games, they always made an excellent engine that others later used as a backbone for the real killer stuff.  unfortunately for them, i cant remember the last time theyve created a new game changing engine - devs have moved on to the toolsets created by others
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 06:35:26 PM »

Turtle, are you in the DFW area?

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »

No, but I've met people from there, word gets around in the industry. There's a reason why Rage was delayed after the Zenimax sale. Whatever pioneering spirit Id has is long gone.

I honestly think that Zenimax got a bad deal. They're not getting a well supported engine, the megatexture tech is already integrated into every other engine as a GCN architecture standard. The IPs, while venerable, don't carry anywhere near AAA levels of interest that Zenimax is interested in.

Any kind of "vision" that Id might want to impart to this Doom 4 is likely to be pretty backwards and tainted by the terrible studio environment.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:53:57 AM »

Ah, okay.  I worked in the building that id moved into a couple years back.  It was fun to see them rip out the middle of the building so that their people wouldn't be troubled by having to carry badges between their two floors like the rest of us plebes, and their stadium-seating theater. biggrin

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 06:19:01 PM »

When I hear id software I think of Carmack being a really smart guy but not much else.

Yea Doom in the day was a blast, and Quake with being a early landmark game with 3D graphics engines but man that was 15+ years ago. I truly wonder what of value Zenimax got from id Software besides the attention id gets with Quakecon.

The gaming world has moved the FPS genre beyond what id helped start and they just seem to think its the 90's still.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:03:11 PM »

<YAWN>
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »

I think where Id went wrong was becoming too focused on online play and neglecting the Doom franchise for almost a decade. I see Quake 1 and 2 as the cause of a lot of that. Despite being 2 of their best sellers, the popularitiy of the online play took may by surprise and once Unreal Tournament became solid competition, Id seemed to go horse-blinders with online. As much as I enjoyed the Quake games, I think the Doom games were better for the adventure aspect. Doom3 was a let down to me though; even though it had a much better campaign than the earlier games, it fell quite a bit below the industry standard that was established by the time of its release.  They seemed to get on a good track with Quake 4, which despite some performance bugs and some poor design decisions had a decent story. And IMO the 1st half of Rage was keeping with that better track too, but they seriously dropped the ball in the 2nd half.

I'm skeptical of Doom 4, because IMO Id has never released a game that hit on all fronts. Unless they've done some serious overhauling of their dev staff, I don't see it adding much to the genre, or even being a game with a decent SP campaign.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 09:25:35 PM by kronovan » Logged
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:11:49 AM »

I hope they bring back the sheer fun of Doom I and II: hordes of enemies and powerful weapons! They can make the rooms dark if they want though, just keep it action filled! That's the Doom spirit for me.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

I actually think Doom can actually be a great mix of action and suspense.

I'd love to see a Doom game more like system shock, but more survival oriented where you have to survive on mars against the forces of hell. But leave that for a spin-off with a different subtitle. But think about it, it's a great premise, and the different demons and demonic situations would make for a much more interesting game than the zombies that are usually used.

That said, either go whole hog into the action and hordes, or try to do more than monster closets and overwrought lighting as your only trick to make things scary.

In many ways, a proper horde of seething demons can definitely add to the horror stuff.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 11:22:14 PM »

I'd love to see a Doom game more like system shock, but more survival oriented where you have to survive on mars against the forces of hell. But leave that for a spin-off with a different subtitle. But think about it, it's a great premise, and the different demons and demonic situations would make for a much more interesting game than the zombies that are usually used.

I'd play that game.

Because I can,
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 12:29:26 AM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on August 05, 2013, 07:11:49 AM

I hope they bring back the sheer fun of Doom I and II: hordes of enemies and powerful weapons! They can make the rooms dark if they want though, just keep it action filled! That's the Doom spirit for me.

Its called Serious Sam.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 07:22:12 AM »

Quote from: Jumangi on August 06, 2013, 12:29:26 AM

Quote from: The Rocketman on August 05, 2013, 07:11:49 AM

Its called Serious Sam.

I see what you mean, but I disagree. Yes, Serious Sam is a first person shooter featuring hordes of monsters, but there the comparison ends. The tension, atmosphere, levels, weapons, enemies... they all feel quite different from a Doom game.

Anyway, I also didn't like the 'horror shooter'-feeling they went for in Doom III. I finished the game, and thought it was encredibly scary in some parts, but it didn't really feel like Doom to me. Just like Duke Nukem Forever didn't feel like Duke3D.
We have enough of those generic shooters which try to tell a scripted story with scripted encounters and slow movement speed and coverbased mechanics etc etc. Bring back the unique levels filled with keycards, puzzles, booby-trapped rooms, explosive weapons and insane movement speed biggrin

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:24:17 AM by The Rocketman » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on August 06, 2013, 07:22:12 AM

We have enough of those generic shooters which try to tell a scripted story with scripted encounters and slow movement speed and coverbased mechanics etc etc. Bring back the unique levels filled with keycards, puzzles, booby-trapped rooms, explosive weapons and insane movement speed biggrin

The funny thing is that the new Rise of the Triad is very much this.  It's far from perfect, but the single player is full of that old school feeling and all of those things you want.  A nice bit of nostalga for $15.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »

It's not possible for me to care less about a new DARK game. I've said for years that id makes engines, not games, so this will be an extended tech demo of their new lighting scheme and little else.

I agree with the assessment that they've lost that pioneering spirit and love of games. Which is a shame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: