http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 08:43:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 Xbox or PC?  (Read 6503 times)
jimmyorr99
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2004, 02:27:58 PM »

i will also wait for the price drop. but in order to run it i will be purchasing a new machine. i wanted to know what you guys recommended, i was thinking amd athlon 2800+, 1gb ram, 80gb hard drive, ait radeon 9800 pro 128mb....
any suggestions?
thanks in advance

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2004, 03:34:01 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I'm sitting with 1gig on a 3.0Ghz 800fsb P4  and an ATI 9800pro (128MB,not 256). Unpacking the pk4 files and changing the one cache to 256MB makes the Ultra @1024 playable with the occasional hiccup. runs at a solid 30fps and upwards of 60, depending on the action.

Purge, do you have a tweak guide handy for Doom 3?  I began reading the thread, but as it is now 26 pages long I didn't go through the whole thing looking for the things you did.  I got the cache part, but what about the unpacking of the pk4 files?

Our machines are similar, so I imagine I should be able to achieve similar results.

I just bought the game and installed it, but have not yet run it.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2004, 08:10:53 PM »

Purge, do you have a tweak guide handy for Doom 3?  I began reading the thread, but as it is now 26 pages long I didn't go through the whole thing looking for the things you did.  I got the cache part, but what about the unpacking of the pk4 files?

Our machines are similar, so I imagine I should be able to achieve similar results.

I just bought the game and installed it, but have not yet run it.

The only thing I changed in the cfg file was
seta image_cacheMegs "256"

Use Winrar to extract all 5 PK4 files into the same folder (Doom3\Base)
MB:              Name:
353,159,257 pak000.pk4
229,649,726 pak001.pk4
416,937,674 pak002.pk4
317,590,154 pak003.pk4
237,752,384 pak004.pk4

Move all 5 PK4 files into a "Doom3\PK4 Backup" folder (create it first).
The game will try to use the PK4 files if they're still in the BASE folder.

I'm tempted to step it down to High; Ultra isn't noticable and the slight hiccups get annoying. I'd rather turn on FSAA smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

So, anybody seen some of the light mods out there? Some of these are just wrong:

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum2/HTML/009361.html?00000

Look closely, and you'll see not only Hello Kitty, but the Batman logo, and even the Thundercats symbol. biggrin

This is why I get the PC version of games when available.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2004, 07:56:13 PM »

i dont know how to feel about that. should i laugh or be very embarassed? that being said, those are very well done, that games looks spectacular.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2004, 11:21:04 PM »

You just have to get the duct tape mod!

I haven't tried it, but I probably will soon!

I love the mod community!

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2004, 11:35:56 PM »

K the hello kitty is funny, and I'd like to see an imp mod where they throw flowers.  (see Hello-Cthulhu.com )

If the maps weren't so narrow, a decent battarang mod to change the soulcube would be doable, with the appropriate black gloves for boxing. smile

But sweet merciful gods of the underworld. Thundercats??

Change the chainsaw to a diminutive sword which, when held with the pommel in your groin area (and shouting HO!) grows bigger. For a short time. until the climax of the battle. Right.*

-------------------Musical interlude--------------------------

A PEEK INTO THE MIND OF PURGE
(wow, there's a lotta room in here!) :shock:

I find that when I watch shows that I've loved in the past, I realize what an idiot I was for liking the crap.This feeling still happens today. I'm no longer surprised by it; rather I'm getting depressed with the same sorry theme.  What could this mean?? :?

My inner dialogue goes something like this :

"*Airwolf WAS a good show, dammit!!*"
" You're right! It is!"
<watches 5 minutes of bad scene cutovers and horrid acting>
" We were an idiot, weren't we?"
" Were? "
:collective sigh:

*I'm also dissapointed with my earlier self for missing stuff, such as thundercats. It boggles the mind that in my pubescent youth I couldn't forulate the blatant phalus references into an opinion that Liono must have a view of Cheetara's changing room from the mountaintop.

-------------------End off-topic rant-------------------------

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2004, 12:24:46 AM »

Hey now, I used to watch Thundercats and such when I was a young un', as well. Having recently had the chance to see an episode of M.A.S.K, He-Man, and Thundercats, I have to say... yikes.

But back then, they were rockin'. I had a sh*tload of He-Man action figures, and an actual small replica of the small Thundercats sword, that (with the press of a button) lit up.

Out of all the cartoons of my childhood, I'd have to say Transformers holds out the best. Er, of course, it also doesn't hurt that I've remained a fan of it to this day. Tongue

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2004, 03:57:57 AM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Hey now, I used to watch Thundercats and such when I was a young un', as well. Having recently had the chance to see an episode of M.A.S.K, He-Man, and Thundercats, I have to say... yikes.

But back then, they were rockin'. I had a sh*tload of He-Man action figures, and an actual small replica of the small Thundercats sword, that (with the press of a button) lit up.

Out of all the cartoons of my childhood, I'd have to say Transformers holds out the best. Er, of course, it also doesn't hurt that I've remained a fan of it to this day. Tongue

True.

I have all 4 seasons (boxset) on DVD.

Tongue Not *all* of the shows I used to watch suck so much ass... just most of em. I mean, come on... ALF?

jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2004, 02:42:57 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
You just have to get the duct tape mod!

I haven't tried it, but I probably will soon!

I love the mod community!

wow thats actaully really cool. thats a great mod. i read the gamespot review and one of the things that the guy was complaining about was the fact that in the 22nd century, there are no flashlights on guns and i agreed with that, but no its fixed i guess

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2004, 06:45:47 PM »

Guys; do *not* unzip the pak files - Robert Duffy from id confirmed that this doesn't increase performance at all.

Linkage

Oh yeah, and as far as the image cache tweak goes be sure to set:
image_cacheEnable to "1"
and image_cacheMinK to a reasonable value (usually image_cacheMegs * 128)

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2004, 10:28:24 PM »

PC

Mods!  It's only been out what a week, and I've already tweaked a bunch of stuff.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2004, 10:57:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Guys; do *not* unzip the pak files - Robert Duffy from id confirmed that this doesn't increase performance at all.

Linkage

Oh yeah, and as far as the image cache tweak goes be sure to set:
image_cacheEnable to "1"
and image_cacheMinK to a reasonable value (usually image_cacheMegs * 128)

Seemed to help for me. I was getting 30FPS on High, and after I was able to get 30-45 on Ultra.  (with only the mods I listed above).

[shrug]  I'm already bored with it. Desensitized to zombies and hellspawn I guess.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: