http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 06:35:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 Xbox or PC?  (Read 6284 times)
naednek
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2004, 10:35:30 PM »

Well  I was going to do a poll but I don't see that option frown

Anyways what version are you going to get.

Generally FPS games suck on Consoles, however there are a few exceptions like Riddick.  

Coop doesn't really excite me so that doesn't matter to me.

I personally will be getting it for the PC, since it will have better controls, modability (yes it's a new word Tongue) and will look and play better.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:43:21 PM »

Only because I now have a system that will handle it...

PC

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 10:52:26 PM »

PC

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 03:22:13 AM »

If I get it, I'll probably get it on PC, but I really want online coop on the Xbox version.  

On the one hand, someone will probably hack in coop to the PC version fairly shortly.  On the other hand, even if they do, the people I'd be playing with don't have computers that would handle the PC version, so I may wind up with the XBox one anyway.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 03:25:25 AM »

I'm torn... I was sure I would get it for PC initially, but the coop is tempting... on the other hand user mods are just as tempting.

I can't justify buying it twice, though. Hehe.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 03:32:14 AM »

Probably PC now that I have one to play it on.  I will try the Xbox version though, whether that be renting or whatever.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 03:45:57 AM »

Is the X-Box version only Co-op over live?

DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 05:18:45 AM »

Yep - the xbox supports multiplayer only via system link or live (guess that's just too much detail to try and do twice on one system)

Me? I finally just bought a new PC so I'm getting the PC version on release day and assuming I don't absolutely hate the game I'll get a copy of the Xbox version as well when it's released.

I did play the Xbox version at E3 and found it quite enjoyable. Didn't exactly feel drawn into the game story-wise or anything like that like I expect from Half-Life 2, but for sheer twitch factor I enjoyed it quite a lot.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 12:23:14 PM »

[heresy] I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get it [/heresy]

***GASP***

If I do cave, it will definitely be for da PC.

I was born a Mouse/WASD man, and I'll die one. Often..., I'm sure.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2004, 12:52:47 PM »

PC for me.  I like playing FPS with a keyboard/mouse and the graphics will be sweeter on the PC.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »

As long as ATI gets off their buts and ships their Radeon x800 XT to stores in quanities, I'll be all set to play the PC version in two weeks. My 9700 Pro is getting old. smile

PC.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 07:20:09 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
As long as ATI gets off their buts and ships their Radeon x800 XT to stores in quanities, I'll be all set to play the PC version in two weeks. My 9700 Pro is getting old. smile

PC.

Amen, brother!  Let me know when you spot one in stores.  The 9800 Pro isn't getting old, but I feel the need for that XT!

I'm really hoping to see some nice mods for this game.  Besides the mouse/keyboard combo, I can't imagine missing out on the mods.

On the other hand, I am hoping the co-op is as fun to go through as it was in Halo.  I don't even own Halo, but I played through it on co-op over multiple visits to a friends house.  Good times there.  Just don't ask me about my multiplayer deathmatch performance :oops:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2004, 10:55:52 PM »

Oh, co-op on Live only, eh? PC for me then.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 02:07:55 PM »

pc man, imo fps's were made for the pc. i think the wasd controls and the mouse moving your head is more practical then the double joystick, but maybe its because im a pc fanboy  biggrin

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »

This is a no-brainer. Get it on the PC. It will look much better, and I think you can feel safe that a mod that allows co-op multi-player will be out for it long before the X-Box version hits the shelves.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2004, 04:42:12 PM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"
pc man, imo fps's were made for the pc. i think the wasd controls and the mouse moving your head is more practical then the double joystick, but maybe its because im a pc fanboy  biggrin

Now, see there's got to be a better way to control FPS games.  The keyboard and mouse were originally used to control them because there was no option other than the joystick, which doesn't work well at all.  But a keyboard and a mouse?  Somebody, someday, is going to have  revelation regarding FPS control and release a must-have peripheral that makes it more intuitive.  WASD is too intimidating for newbie-gamers, especially in fast-paced games.  Just a thought.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Now, see there's got to be a better way to control FPS games.  The keyboard and mouse were originally used to control them because there was no option other than the joystick, which doesn't work well at all.  But a keyboard and a mouse?  Somebody, someday, is going to have  revelation regarding FPS control and release a must-have peripheral that makes it more intuitive.  WASD is too intimidating for newbie-gamers, especially in fast-paced games.  Just a thought.

I use the arrow keys and do pretty well. biggrin   The ability to remap the keys is also helpful, and I can have the same layout for every game I play.

There are peripherals just like the ones you envisioned:

Nostromo SpeedPad n52
The Claw

The keyboard is nice because it has over 100 keys, but I could live without it.  The mouse, on the other hand, is invaluable because the joystick isn't nearly as accurate or easy to aim with.  While I am with you on the keyboard (to some extent) I can't imagine anything better than a mouse for aiming.

Halo has some of the better FPS controls I have used on a console, but even those took a lot of time to get used to.  Movement with one thumb, aiming with the other.  To me that is much less intuitive.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2004, 04:10:56 AM »

Quote from: "jimmyorr99"

WSAD is soooo limited. It's a digital switch. 1 or 0; not varying speeds. I've got a feeling Doom3 is going to incorporate more stealth in it; I'm leery of running around at full speed allatime.

Also, hardware inconsistancies and driver problems were also made for the pc. If you can have software tailormade for your console, it's not all bad. Plus the 5.1 sound setup and the 51" HD screen I'll be playing it on (or I could use my small TV ... 30" VVega 16:9)... both of em beat out my 19" monitor by a landslide.

Sounds like I'm saying console; I probably am. I dunno, I've got a lot of work in August (we's transitioning hundreds of servers from Toronto to Winnipeg due to an aquisition) and I likely won't have the time. Sept has Fable in it (and HL2) so I may just hold off until I can compare em directly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2004, 04:20:33 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
There are peripherals just like the ones you envisioned:

Nostromo SpeedPad n52
The Claw

MS released something called the Strategic commander, and it was a terrific replacement for FPS WSAD controls with one minor problem... the snapback to centre would have to be tightened up big time.

The controller had 6 macro buttons that could be programmed into 4 groups (three alt-buttons), and it shifted on it's well-weighted base. It was intended to use to scroll around maps in RTS games which is why it's snap-to-centre was so lax.

One helluva controller though with the mouse in the other hand. too bad they never released it with a mouse for Xbox gaming.. <sigh>

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2004, 05:46:02 PM »

i dont know, i mean im not running, i have a walk button, and you can have a sneak button (look at hitman) i have the 5.1 speakers on my computer and a 19" flat screen, so i will be playing that. i have considered it for my xbox, as i also have a 40" and 5.1 system there too, but i think fisrt of all, my system, that will arrive about a week before doom3, will render it better than the xbox (but i see your point, on my present computer i would rather have an xbox, as i have alot of problems with keeping up with newer games, seeing as how i have a 1 ghz and 128 mb geforce 2mx and 256 ram) secondly, i dont like the fact that i accidentally make my guy crouched when im fighting, especially if im scared, which looks like it will happen in doom. i tend to puch down on the joystick. i honestly find the pc controls easier to use for fps's but i will not trounce the xbox's they are very good, and blow ps2 away imo.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2004, 03:03:54 AM »

I can see the crouching thing happening to me too.  Cool
I hated the variable speed introduced with the mousewheel in Splinter Cell PT on PC... but you are absolutely right on FPS's, with rare exceptions I do prefer them on PC.

I hate having my left hand cramp up after an hour or two of gameplay though. <sigh> ah well... as long as the cramping goes away before Nov. 9th, I'll be fine  :lol:

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 01:25:58 PM »

Supposedly Best Buy has broken street date on this and it should be out on the shelves no later than Sunday (many already have it on the shelf).

However, this may be an early strike because Circuit City will have Doom 3 for $44.99 when they release it via their ad for next week.  So, pay $10 more to get it now or wait?  Have fun...

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004, 02:36:09 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Supposedly Best Buy has broken street date on this and it should be out on the shelves no later than Sunday (many already have it on the shelf).

I heard about this. Now I'll have to swing on by my local BB, instead of waiting 2 more days for my local EB. biggrin

Want to see the official Doom III trailer? File Rush has it via this link - no registration required.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2004, 02:42:34 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

However, this may be an early strike because Circuit City will have Doom 3 for $44.99 when they release it via their ad for next week.  So, pay $10 more to get it now or wait?  Have fun...

You can always bring back your receipt and the ad and get the difference back.  I've done this fairly often.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 03:08:26 PM »

yeah thats not a bad idea either, ive done it before. thats part of curcuit city's big thing isnt it, dont they try to make up the difference to you.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 08:36:41 PM »

Well, it runs like crap on my PC, probably because of the 64mb graphics card.  I would highly recommend not buying it for the PC if you have a 64mb graphics card.  I got about 15 fps at 640x480 with Low Quality graphics.  Woowee.  

Frankly, I think that's silly.  There are games that have been out for 2+ years that run ~60fps on my computer, and look better than Doom 3.  Great new game engine?  Maybe, but how 'great' is it if you have to buy a new $2500 computer to play it?

Frankly, Chronicles of Riddick looks better and doesn't have any stutter.

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 09:20:31 PM »

You do realize that the Xbox version is essentially the same as the PC version set to Low Quality mode (i.e. the mode you run it in on a 64MB video card).  Seeing how the Xbox only has 64MB of *total* memory, don't expect a better looking/better running experience than a PC even at Low Quality.

I'm running Doom 3 on medium quality, and it's still better than anything else I've seen out there (Far Cry is the only thing that's even close, with Riddick a distant second).  I plan on trying the Xbox version as well simply for the co-op, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that it will look light years better than it does on your low end PC right now...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 02:05:40 AM »

By the way, for a frame of reference:

Smooth performance (just over 30fps I'd guess with the occasional hiccup down to maybe 27) on my system:

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
768mb PC333 Corsair RAM
AMD K7 2 Ghz
1024x768 - High settings (not highest, but one notch down)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 03:01:47 AM »

Just played this for about 45 min with the lights off and the volume cranked (wife and kids went to store smile) and nearly shat myself.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 05:55:45 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
You do realize that the Xbox version is essentially the same as the PC version set to Low Quality mode (i.e. the mode you run it in on a 64MB video card).  Seeing how the Xbox only has 64MB of *total* memory, don't expect a better looking/better running experience than a PC even at Low Quality.

I'm running Doom 3 on medium quality, and it's still better than anything else I've seen out there (Far Cry is the only thing that's even close, with Riddick a distant second).  I plan on trying the Xbox version as well simply for the co-op, but I wouldn't get your hopes up that it will look light years better than it does on your low end PC right now...

BUT ... no driver issues. And lower cost. And co-op mode.
BUT BUT ... no mods. <sigh>

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 07:54:36 PM »

I doubt I'll play the XBox version.  I'll probably just wait to play it until I upgrade my rig, which may be a while.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 09:19:57 PM »

I'd say the game is a good blend of System Shock and Half Life, I'd not miss that just because I don't have a rig that can run it.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 01:34:11 AM »

Multiplayer is weak; Quake3 was at least interesting.

-_-; This game *needs* some mods.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 01:42:17 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Multiplayer is weak; Quake3 was at least interesting.

-_-; This game *needs* some mods.

Personally I am very happy to have a (hopefully) solid single player game.  If I want multiplayer I have UT2k4.  I am always terrified that everything will become multiplayer only.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 12:01:08 PM »

If nothing else, the game gives a GREAT first impression. And I absolutely love those clear and crisp touchscreens/movies-within-screens.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 01:48:22 PM »

Thanks goes out to Tim for pointing this out:

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

Seems that this little config tweak would help those of us with copious amounts of RAM to run the game better. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2004, 02:59:14 AM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Seems that this little config tweak would help those of us with copious amounts of RAM to run the game better. smile

I knew that 2GB of RAM would come in handy sooner or later! :lol:

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2004, 05:09:06 AM »

Personally I am very happy to have a (hopefully) solid single player game. If I want multiplayer I have UT2k4. I am always terrified that everything will become multiplayer only.

My sentiments exactly. Besides if UT2K4 isn't your thing, Ravensoft is working on Quake 4, surely that will have a bigger focus on Multiplayer

I knew that 2GB of RAM would come in handy sooner or later!

Muahahahaha! I only have one gig, but judging by the posts that should be more than enough. Hell I could probably spare 512MB.

Many thanks for the link, Mr. Burke.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2004, 05:23:38 AM »

My sentiments exactly. Besides if UT2K4 isn't your thing Ravensoft is working on Quake 4, surely that will have a bigger focus on Multiplayer

Muahahahaha! I onl have one gig, but judging by the posts that should be more than enough. Hell I could probably spare 512MB.

I'm sitting with 1gig on a 3.0Ghz 800fsb P4  and an ATI 9800pro (128MB,not 256). Unpacking the pk4 files and changing the one cache to 256MB makes the Ultra @1024 playable with the occasional hiccup. runs at a solid 30fps and upwards of 60, depending on the action.

The game, IMHO (which is rarely ever humble) is that it's a wildly unimaginative corridor crawl.

There is some inventive stuff in the game and the detail is amazing, but the game itself isn't worth the price tag at this point. (hence the mod comment earlier).

The visuals are astounding, but there is something missing... I think it has to do with the monsters themselves. They almost take away the suspense that iD built up in the first few levels. I dunno. The problem with amazing environment visuals is that since we're used to blockier models of the same design, it doesn't have as big an impact.

IF we've mastered teleportation and space travel, you'd think that we could at least have some sort of light emission from an assault rifle. I mean, down in the mines. Where it's dark. And scary. Sheesh. I realize it's used as a game mechanic; I really shouldn't have to make excuses for them though.

One last gripe : WHAT THE HELL DO THE MONSTERS DO BEFORE THIS ONE NEAR-INVINCIBLE MARINE SHOWS UP? Stare at the health powerups it's guarding to spring predictable ambushes? I know, I know, it's Doom. There *isn't* any justifiication.

I think I'd prefer playing co-op mode.  <sigh>

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2004, 07:03:16 AM »

I'm sitting with 1gig on a 3.0Ghz 800fsb P4 and an ATI 9800pro (128MB,not 256). Unpacking the pk4 files and changing the one cache to 256MB makes the Ultra @1024 playable with the occasional hiccup. runs at a solid 30fps and upwards of 60, depending on the action.

On Ultra? Very cool.

There is some inventive stuff in the game and the detail is amazing, but the game itself isn't worth the price tag at this point. (hence the mod comment earlier).

Yeah, I'm gonna wait for the price to drop to the high 30s/mid 40s. I never pay 50+ dollars for a  game (before tax, I mean)

I think I'd prefer playing co-op mode.

The mods. Once they start coming you'll remember why you went with the PC version slywink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: