http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:34:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] Doom 3 remastered in BFG Edition  (Read 1720 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:57:11 PM »

since I never got to play the expansion I may just grab this new edition

According to the press release: "This genre defining game and its add-on pack offers greatly enhanced graphics, deeply immersing the player in the demonic world of this terrifying horror masterpiece.

"Players will also experience a never-before-seen single-player story, The Lost Mission featuring seven heart-pounding levels that will once again have them on the edge of their seats."

The game has been optimised in 3D and feature 5.1 surround sound, Achievements and Trophies, improved rendering and lighting, plus a new checkpoint save system.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:33:11 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »

The only thing Doom 3 defined was disappointment.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 04:13:22 PM »

Hopefully with wondrous new duct tape technology?

Yet another sign that Id is on its way to collapse.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 30, 2012, 04:13:22 PM

Hopefully with wondrous new duct tape technology?

Doom 3 now features the new armour-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 04:41:29 PM »

I still like id software alot, and rage was interesting even though disappointing. I hope they eventually go back to making innovative games again..
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

Big question for me is; will the PC version now have online co-op play like the Xbox version? If it had that I'd definitely buy the 2 copies of the PC version to play over the LAN with my son. And if they added split-screen co-op to the 360 version I'd be in heaven. I still occasionally play and enjoy the XBLA version of Doom 2, so I think I'm a victim to the nostalgia factor with this franchise.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

Repackaging past DOOM games.....again. I hope Bethesda didn't pay too much for id cause I don't see them getting much value out of em so far.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 02:13:02 AM »

That's what I'm wondering also, will the console versions support online play for Doom 1/2/3?
I think it was the Orange Box on consoles that even though it had multiple games, the only one you could actually play multiplayer on was Team Fortress 2. Forget about Half-Life 2 or Portal.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 05:16:25 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on May 31, 2012, 02:13:02 AM

That's what I'm wondering also, will the console versions support online play for Doom 1/2/3?

I'm fairly certain that it was only the Xbox version of Doom 3 that supported online co-op; I'd have to dig out my copy to be 100% on that though. I doubt they'll be removing that in any remake. There wasn't any Vs online mode in it, if that's what you mean.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 03:35:10 AM »

Just saw a video for The Lost Mission and it showed off a chainsaw wielding demon;  were those in the game before?

Because I can,
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:23:25 AM »

There was (at least) 1 zombie with a chainsaw in the original game. Don't remember if he was a boss or not. The sequence that introduced him was a bit like the meeting with the first skaarj in Unreal. Then again, the entire game of Doom 3 was pretty much a rehash of that scene smile
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »

The PC version of this will support the Oculus Rift headset. Which is actually pretty cool-looking.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »

Impressions?  Has anyone ponied up for this?
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »

I saw this comparison video that makes it look like the major graphical improvement is some lighting improvements to make everything brighter and less in hard black shadow.  And motion blur, depending on whether you consider that an improvement.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:18:07 PM »

there seemed to be a couple of parts where it looked like they removed some of the lighting effects.  maybe once this hits 75% off I'll consider it.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:48 PM »

I keep seeing the title as Doom 3 remastered in BFD Edition. retard

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 08:57:20 PM »

Curious in that if you install Doom 3 BFG edition to the HD on a 360, you can't launch the bonus Doom 2/Original Doom:

Twitter user Wario64 discovered the error message seen below. NowGamer reached out to Bethesda and was told by Bethesda's Matt Grandstaff that "we recommend not installing the game" as it will prevent the launch of both Doom and Doom 2. Additionally, "there is no performance advantage to installing the game to your hard drive."

This seems very odd, and I wonder if it also happens with the PS3?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 09:25:51 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 18, 2012, 07:25:48 PM

I keep seeing the title as Doom 3 remastered in BFD Edition. retard

or the BVD one.

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 12:04:43 AM »

I picked it up for the PC and played for about an hour and the game looks better than the vanilla Doom 3 but it isn't that great.  The bald heads still have angles, not even close to being round.  They did fix up some of the textures.  It runs very smooth with a fast frame rate.  I'm playing with a controller and you can use your flashlight at anytime even with your weapon out with the right trigger.  I do think using the flashlight takes away from the game.  It still has decent shadows and it can get very dark.

It's been fun to revisit and since I owned Doom 3 already I got it for $20 but not sure it's worth it.  You can also play Doom and Doom 2 with a controller.

Calavera
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:38 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on October 18, 2012, 08:57:20 PM

Curious in that if you install Doom 3 BFG edition to the HD on a 360, you can't launch the bonus Doom 2/Original Doom:

Twitter user Wario64 discovered the error message seen below. NowGamer reached out to Bethesda and was told by Bethesda's Matt Grandstaff that "we recommend not installing the game" as it will prevent the launch of both Doom and Doom 2. Additionally, "there is no performance advantage to installing the game to your hard drive."

This seems very odd, and I wonder if it also happens with the PS3?

Joystiq's article has a little more information. According to the comments you can still launch Doom/Doom 2 from the dashboard with the game installed, you just can't launch it from within the game. A better error message would have been 'Please launch these from the dashboard' when Doom 3 is installed to the hard drive.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »

Didn't notice the discount for previous owners, at least they did that much.

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 19, 2012, 10:44:27 AM

Where are you guys seeing this discount and how do they verify this previous ownership?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM

Where are you guys seeing this discount and how do they verify this previous ownership?

I am guessing this is for PC then?...as i had the Xbox 1 Version  Tongue

saw it today for 24.99(full price new games are usually 39.99)..I have still been put off a lot by some things that have been said online,and i have a massive amount of stuff to play now(after a game drought through the summer),so i guess i can wait and maybe the price will go even lower

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »

Bought it by accident when I forgot to check my Steam basket before completing a purchase of Crusader Kings II DLC.  Decided it wasn't worth the attempt to try and get a refund (chances of getting that are about .2 percent).  Tried it out to see what had changed.  Realized that every character still looked like Michael Ironside.  Everyone still walks like Robocop.  Textures appear a bit better.  Wide screen is available now.  I'll probably play it a bit more when my backlog gets reduced a bit more...so...2037.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 19, 2012, 12:49:02 PM

it may be Steam only.  fire up Steam and go to the the game's page-  the discount should pop up there.

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »

I just finished both Doom 3 (original campaign, normal difficulty) and Doom 1 (original 3 episodes, Ultra Violence difficulty) from the BFG Edition. These games have kept me hooked for nearly a week now, and I'm not finished. Both games have aged very well. Doom 1 isn't exactly good looking these days, but for the first time in the history of these games, the mouse controls are good. The game is amazingly fun even today.

Doom 3 has also aged well. The criticisms it received are mostly pretty unfair, with people complaining about the lack of features from Doom on one hand (no large hordes of enemies) and the inclusion of features from Doom on the other hand (monster closets were a fundamental part of the original games, but it seems people have selective memory). I've played through the game before, but I still enjoyed myself a lot through my entire second playthrough. The game has become a little more action-focused since its original release, since the BFG edition is somewhat brighter and gives you a lot more ammo. It's still got an incredibly tense atmosphere though, and it'll make you jump. The graphics are dated, but still hold up very well. What really saves them is the lighting and general level design, both of which are done very well indeed.

Looking forward to playing through Doom 2 again, and trying the expansions to Doom 3. I might even try the additional campaigns to the first two games if I'm not tired of the games by then. Tongue
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »

So with the recent Doom 20th anniversary I got interested in revisiting the game. Another thing that had me interested was the Brutal Doom mod that basically makes the gore and guns over the top (see link). With Brutal Doom, and the high-res textures mod installed the game is complete blast to play through again. I remembered E1L1 like the back of my hand but once I got to the second level things became less clear. Could recall some certain sections but not others. And forget remember all the secrets. Triggering some of those are so obscure.

Highly recommend going back to Doom with the new mods if you haven't played it in forever. These mods really bring the game up to date and throw in some nice surprises.

Here's a helpful guide that walks you through the process of installing Brutal Doom with the High Res textures and how to launch it. Got everything downloaded and up and running in about 15 minutes: http://www.mattloveswriting.com/how-to-install-brutal-doom/
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

Brutal Doom doesn't just add gore and high res textures, it can also add a plethora of fun and interesting gameplay additions.

For example, there's head shots, new weapons with reloading mechanics, proper mouse aiming, sneaking, stealth kills, melee kills, kicking, and a whole lot more.

Funny thing is, it actually all improves the game since it's handled in a way appropriate for Doom.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2013, 03:53:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 28, 2013, 10:35:39 PM

Brutal Doom doesn't just add gore and high res textures, it can also add a plethora of fun and interesting gameplay additions.

For example, there's head shots, new weapons with reloading mechanics, proper mouse aiming, sneaking, stealth kills, melee kills, kicking, and a whole lot more.

Funny thing is, it actually all improves the game since it's handled in a way appropriate for Doom.

Yeah I just had an awesome moment where I freed one of the marines that was tied up and he became my co-op partner for awhile. Totally didn't expect that.

Really having a blast playing with this mod. The over-the-top gore and mass amounts of jibs just add so much to the game. Plus the 3rd person fatalities are blast to watch.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 05:05:47 PM »

Something that came up last year when we were discussing this was whether the BFG edition had online co-op like the original 360 edition. I did some posting in forums when Doom3 was being discounted in a Steam sale. I found out that there's a good fan co-op patch for the original Doom3 (Last man Standing) but it apparently isn't compatible with BFG. I never did buy either version, but I think if I do get one it'd be the original with the expansion.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

Yeah none of the mods work with the BFG version. So the BFG comes with the following bonuses:

- High resolutions out of the box (can get mods to improve graphics in vanilla Doom)
- The expansion pack + Lost Missions (can't get Lost Missions outside of BFG)
- Original Doom (ep 1-4) and Doom 2

I have D3 + the expansion on physical disc but ended up getting the BFG. It was $5 and was curious about Lost Missions. I do have to say its nice just launching the game and playing it right from the get go without having to fiddle with mods or having to go through the physical installs (which requires entering keys for both the main game and the expansion). 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: