http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 10:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: doom 3 on xbox  (Read 1133 times)
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2004, 08:43:18 AM »

I played the demo for pc yesterday, on my aging computer. It's a 1.2 Thunderbird, with 512 MB RAM and a geforce4 t4400. Anyway, the demo only featured the first 3 levels, but I liked them a lot!

The only thing I didn't like was the horrible stuttering on my computer. If it would run smooth though, I would have loved the experience, and most certainly have bought the game.

So, I figured, I'll buy the xbox version. It'll have coop to boot, so someone can hold a flashlight, while the other guy shoots!

Anyone else waiting for it to come out on xbox? I mean, the game has had a lot of criticism on these boards, but I don't really get them after playing the demo... It seems like a very solid game to me, with a really good atmosphere. I really felt like a stranded marine on Mars biggrin
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 02:09:14 PM »

I'm was waiting on it, until I played the pc version.

It's one of the most overhyped games I have played in a long time.  The graphics were fantastic, but the environments were all too dark and the fact that you can't hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time made me have no desire to play it any further.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »

The game itself is an average shooter with great graphics.  It's best played in the dark.  I found that it was almost too intense as there are constant jump-out scares.  I've been playing it off and on since release and I still haven't finished it.  And the flashlight thing really isn't a big deal as there're plenty of health stations and ammo dumps.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 05:28:59 PM »

the fact that you can't hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time made me have no desire to play it any further.

I agree that the game is overhyped, but it bothers me that people complain about this important mechanic to the game.  Obviously the designers could allow you to have the flashlight be on the gun.  They chose to make you switch to enhance the what-is-that, where-is-it-coming-from scare factor.  Which is also why the environments are dark.  

Really, they're trying to make this a Doom game.  When the first Doom was released, one of the most talked about aspects of the engine was that when you fired a weapon, it would light up the dark halls, giving you much needed visibility (whether this was actually a major aspect of gameplay is in question, of course, but it was hyped extensively).  

The bottom line is you have to make a choice on whether to see or shoot, and that increases the tension.

I understand that other games allow flashlight/gun combinations.  I understand that duct tape exists in the future.  id understands those things , too.  Maybe there's a reason why.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 06:21:47 PM »

Quote from: "The Rocketman"
I played the demo for pc yesterday, on my aging computer. It's a 1.2 Thunderbird, with 512 MB RAM and a geforce4 t4400. Anyway, the demo only featured the first 3 levels, but I liked them a lot!

If you don't mind what you got in the first 3 levels for the rest of the game then you'll be happy with it.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:09:38 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

It's one of the most overhyped games I have played in a long time.  The graphics were fantastic, but the environments were all too dark and the fact that you can't hold a flashlight and a gun at the same time made me have no desire to play it any further.

Translation:  He kept getting killed because it's too damn dark so he evetually decided to just give up and quit in frustration.

I think it's a great game, but not the be-all-end-all of first person shooters as many people make it out to be.  It drips with atmosphere, which I love, and it was a blast to play.  (Always scores points with me when the game is actually fun.)  I played it from start to finish and had a pretty good time, barring a few frustrating moments here and there.  As soon as I get another 512MB of RAM I plan on installing it again and trying to finish it on Nightmare.

Glycerine

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 09:36:58 PM »

By the way, the game stops getting scary after the first few levels.  It's not because you get powerful enough that it's not scary, it just becomes so utterly predictable that even the graphics can't save it.

Imagine those first three levels, now imagine them doing the same things they did in those first three levels through the entire game.

All that'll happen are creatures pop out at you every damn time you grab an item off the ground.

Although there are a few scenes which are really creepy, they're more rare.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 09:49:41 PM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"

Translation:  He kept getting killed because it's too damn dark so he evetually decided to just give up and quit in frustration.

That certainly describes my experience. It sure was pretty though.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2004, 12:22:12 AM »

I have a feeling the coop will devolve into someone holding the light, and the other guy shooting.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2004, 12:35:32 AM »

Quote from: "Glycerine"

Honestly, I didn't get stuck, I just got tired of it and gave up.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: