http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 04:48:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 Benchmarks  (Read 1684 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: July 22, 2004, 08:04:44 PM »

HardOCP has some benchmarks showing the latest ATI and Nvidia cards running the Doom 3 time demo

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQy

The Nvidia comes out significantly ahead. But personally I think that's just a matter of drivers. I remember seeing a similiar article not too long ago about how ATI comes out significantly better than Nvidia in Half-Life 2 tests.

Still interesting if you're planning on picking up the game before the Xbox version comes out later this year.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 08:13:02 PM »

If? smile

'course, the benchmarks are not really helping me one bit, with regards to determining how well it'll run on my GeForce. I'd be more interested in seeing how it does with nVIDIA's Ti family, for instance.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 08:31:56 PM »

i was very surpised you can run this game suprisingly well on a moderate machine, i was veyr pleased to learn this, of course my screen shots will not look like the ones from gamespot, but as long as i get to play the game im happy.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:46:25 PM »

If the Internet suddenly shuts down it's because fanboy's on both sides are busy flaming each other to cinders.

I can't believe the X800XT-PE was so soundly beaten in those tests.  I would be very interested to see a similar test using Half Life 2.

I don't think ATI can squeeze that much out of their drivers.  We shall see...

4GB of RAM in that machine.  Wow.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 03:39:21 AM »

The general conception is that the ATI cards are better at Direct 3D games, while the NVidia ones are better at Open GL. And the only company that tends to produce Open GL only titles are ID Software...

Even now, this seems to hold true. Go figure.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 04:36:16 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
The general conception is that the ATI cards are better at Direct 3D games, while the NVidia ones are better at Open GL. And the only company that tends to produce Open GL only titles are ID Software...

Even now, this seems to hold true. Go figure.

I had thought about it and believe that is pretty much the case.  The only concern I would have are the titles that will eventually use the D3 engine.

That said, the majority of games do use DirectX, so either way you're in good shape.

I still have an eye out for the XT-PE.  If they don't make them available for normal people to buy I might be tempted by whatever I can find first.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »

Weak.

I wanted to see a system that cost less than 2gs running the game.

I've got a P4 800fsb 3.0Ghz, 1 gig of RAM and an ATI 9800Pro
Nothing that breaks the bank, but enough to make a showing.

Their hardware comparison speaks to a crowd of less than 15% of the PC gaming market. If this was supposed to help NVidia's marketting I hope it does the job. Since most of the games I play are DX, this doesn't really sway me. I'll take HL2 over Doom3 any day.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »

i dont know, i might be reeling from this news, my system is about 1 ghz, and i desperately need an upgrade, but i dont even know if that will come before doom is out on shelves. ill have to wait and see...

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Weak.

I wanted to see a system that cost less than 2gs running the game.

I've got a P4 800fsb 3.0Ghz, 1 gig of RAM and an ATI 9800Pro
Nothing that breaks the bank, but enough to make a showing.

Their hardware comparison speaks to a crowd of less than 15% of the PC gaming market. If this was supposed to help NVidia's marketting I hope it does the job. Since most of the games I play are DX, this doesn't really sway me. I'll take HL2 over Doom3 any day.

I understand your frustration, Purge, but I think you have to look at why they are doing this.  Doom 3 is made for high-end machines.  The technology is the selling point.  Not the innovative game play or the fantastic story (try not to laugh, okay), but for the "wow" factor and eye candy.  As mentioned elsewhere, Doom 3 is basically a glorified technology demo for the engine itself.

The hardcore community that cares about these benchmarks are probably all in the 15% you mention.

I think your system will do just fine with the game as long as you don't go crazy with the AA/AF.

I am much more interested in HL2 because I think it will be more interesting but I will buy Doom 3, even if it doesn't run as well on my card.

It's all about marketing.  Nvidia has a nice little feather in their cap.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 03:59:23 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I understand your frustration, Purge, but I think you have to look at why they are doing this.  Doom 3 is made for high-end machines.  The technology is the selling point.

Not really frustrated, just annoyed that they didn't show a mid-high-end card; rather than showing $500US+ video cards that are hard to get as of yet.

Not the innovative game play or the fantastic story (try not to laugh, okay), but for the "wow" factor and eye candy.  As mentioned elsewhere, Doom 3 is basically a glorified technology demo for the engine itself.

The tech has to be first with iD... they make big bank renting their engine out. Quake3 didn't do so well in the rent dept. There were a few big games, but nothing like Quake2 in terms of adoption.

The hardcore community that cares about these benchmarks are probably all in the 15% you mention..

Bud, I lived in that 15% up until the Xbox was released. Hell, I had the Diamond Monster 3dfx; with Monster II I had the 12MB SLI's. I've dropped big coin on systems in the past; I've grown weary (and wary) of the NEXT BIG GAME (buy buy buy). One game is not enough to justify the cost; otherwise I'd have Steel Battalion right now.

I think your system will do just fine with the game as long as you don't go crazy with the AA/AF.

Being a longtime tech / video game junkie, I know it is. I just wanted to see some numbers. smile

I am much more interested in HL2 because I think it will be more interesting but I will buy Doom 3, even if it doesn't run as well on my card.

It's all about marketing.  Nvidia has a nice little feather in their cap.

Bah. One game using OGL vs. the landslide of DX games. I dunno, it's a small feather as far as I'm concerned. Also, since two of the three console mfgrs are going ATI with their next console, Nvidia is crying in their chocolate milk right now.

I'm with you on the interesting HL2 story; although apparently Doom3 has a story to it and it is told in a much more survival-horror kinda way.

I'm likely going to wait for the Xbox release; I prefer co-op games anyways.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: