http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 11:23:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doom 3 's Gravity Gun...  (Read 3931 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:29:44 PM »

Taken from http://www.quartertothree.com/

How's this for a cool weapon in a first person shooter?
"[It] makes excellent use of the physics engine. This tool allows you to hold and launch just about any imaginable object in the game. See a box, target it, use it as a shield, and then launch it...as a weapon."

Of course, this is a description of the Grabber, or Ionized Plasma Leviation gun, in the Doom 3 expansion, as revealed in this month's issue of CGW. When it comes to game design, I don't worship at the altar of innovation. Some of the best ideas are borrowed, and Half-Life 2's gravity gun is ultimately just an improved version of Anne's arm from Trespasser. But shouldn't you at least, I dunno, add a minor twist to make it seem like you didn't just rip something off from another prominent game?

What the CGW preview doesn't tell you is that the Doom 3 expansion actually reveals the Space Marine's name: Gordon Freidman!

LOL  :lol:

Doom 3 sucks so bad.  The most overhyped piece of too dark garbage I've ever played.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:35:04 PM »

YAWWWNNNNNNN
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:44:26 PM »

Quote from: "Goonch"
YAWWWNNNNNNN

Way to add to the thread?!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 09:25:30 PM »

I enjoyed Doom3.  It wasn't a great game by any means mind you, but I am looking forward to the expansion to see if they'll address the issues that many people had with the original.  I do agree that they should try to add something new besides a different name and model for their gravity gun.  I don't follow detailed game hype as I like to be surprised when I'm playing.  But was HL2's gravity gun in previews, and I find it hard to think that it wasn't, or is this an unfortunate coincidence?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 09:30:48 PM »

As far as I know the Gravity Gun was shown off when they first showed Half-Life 2 at E3 2003.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 09:37:46 PM »

You know, rather than adding a grav gun, maybe id should borrow another technology upgrade. You know ... LIGHTS.

bwahaha. Poor Doom 3 will never live down the lights thing.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 09:41:11 PM »

Goonch seems to be taking over for Paulbot from GG.  YAWN (Not at the game as I rather enjoyed Doom 3)

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 09:47:42 PM »

I enjoyed Doom 3. I'll probably even grab the expansion at some point.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Shifter
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 09:55:17 PM »

I enjoyed Doom 3 also.  I did see a couple of screenshots from the expansion last week and was disspointed to see more dark tunnel-like levels.  

I want to see something completely different, setting wise.  New locations, exterior levels, colors.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 10:02:28 PM »

That was my biggest disappointment with Doom 3-within the first few minutes you'd seen pretty much everything the game had to offer as far as level design. Hell was a welcome but short respite from the endless series of halls and rooms that were collections of pipes and display panels with nifty lighting effects. HL2 really drove home to me how much varied level design goes towards making a game. Id is ripping off the wrong thing from HL2

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 10:41:51 PM »

Doom 3 would've been fun (to me) if they had simply made it like Doom 1 or 2!  in the vein of Painkiller, more arcade, mow-down-the-horde style. That would've been so much more fun, IMO. When I first heard they were making Doom 3, I assumed it would be Doom style gameplay with kickass graphics.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 11:05:30 PM »

I find it incredibly lame that the original Half Life ripped off the shotgun from Doom.  Tongue
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 11:15:17 PM »

That sounds silly.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 11:36:48 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
You know, rather than adding a grav gun, maybe id should borrow another technology upgrade. You know ... LIGHTS.

bwahaha. Poor Doom 3 will never live down the lights thing.

Doom 3 - the only game to ever make black a color. smile

I won't even comment upon their use of the Gravity Gun, as I have absolutely no plans on buying an expansion to the darkest and dullest FPS ever created. Half-Life 2 is so much better.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 11:45:56 PM »

My biggest disapointment with doom 3 was the lack of multiplayer co-op. That could have been the redeeming factor for doom3, but instead, they fudged it all up.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 02:15:10 AM »

They should try adding a game to the expansion  Tongue

I used to be a Doom 3 fanboy, until I bought the game and actually tried to play it. I was almost forcing myself to like the game. I guess I'm just getting too old (44). I will leave these dull FPSs to be enjoyed by you young guns.

Don't forget the duct tape  Tongue
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 02:18:06 AM »

Oh yeah ,  I forgot :

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2004, 03:03:54 AM »

Heh,
I'm right smack in the middle of playing the game, and i've been enjoying it very much.

Too dark?
Nah, I just went into the .cfg file and kicked the gamma up one notch.
Problem solved.

AND NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED!!!!1!!
*cough*Valve*cough

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2004, 03:09:44 AM »

After Doom 3, I vowed to myself to never buy another id game ever. Quake 4 has me interested in that it uses the Doom 3 engine (good), has squad-based combat in the Aliens vein (better) and it's done by Raven Software (even better). So that's just cool. biggrin

My list of problems with Doom 3 is too long to go into now, not to mention the game has exactly one trick up its sleeve and it plays that immediately. After that the game is the exact same series of pipes and blackness again and again.

Now, compare that with Half-Life 2 that is endlessly inventive, takes plays outdoors (shocker) and from what I can tell only repeats textures on dirt and rocks, and has more creativity in its first 2 minutes than Doom 3 had in its entirety. I'm going to wait until early next year then start playing with the Doom mods, which is what I've been waiting for. Hopefully a couple of great total conversions will come out too.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2004, 04:32:54 AM »

I'm still slogging my way through Doom 3.  I enjoy it alot, despite its shortcomings.  For instance, I now use a light mod for my basic weapons, I also use Reznor's soundpak. I consider it the best scary game since SS2.  The bumpmapping and lighting immerse me like no other game has. HOWEVER:

I have not played HL 2 but since I've seen screenshots, and especially jonsauce's movie, I feel I can say that although Doom 3's tech is better, HL 2 does more with less.

Also, since I play alot of Max Payne 2, I got used to being able to count on stuff like replaying certain battles because the physics engine allowed me to pull off really cool action sequences. I'd replay them to try and do new trick moves and see what crazy results I could get, like blasting guys off a balcony or shooting someone backwards through a plate glass window. Doom 3 needs battles like that, so far I haven't really felt the desire to replay any battles over and over again, even though D3 has an advanced physics engine.

More variety in locations, both lit and otherwise, would tempt me into getting the expansion.  So those two things(battles worth replaying and variety in locations) would get me to buy the expansion. New, similar levels + new creatures + new weapons= pass, for me.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2004, 09:04:18 AM »

PLay HL2 and tell me the lighting is better in DOOM 3. HL2 Source engine is a hell of a lot more innovative. Plus the mapping of textures is natural in HL2 and overdone in DOOM 3. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed DOOM 3 for what it is, but it can't hold a candle to HL2 in no way, shape, or form.

When I played DOOM 3 the first time my jaw didn't drop like it did the first time I played HL2.

I've played and beat both, and HL2 is the winner.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »

Well, you've played HL 2 and I haven't but...

In jonsauce's video, Gordon is walking down a hallway towards some 'cops'. The hallway is nicely lit, kinda dark and spooky- immersive.  When you get close though and the cops go into that apartment, their bodies aren't shadowed as cool as the characters in Doom 3, you don't see light playing across their faces(in their cases, masks) or the folds in their clothing like it does in D3.  And when that last cop goes into the apartment, he casts a nice shadow on the ground but nothing along the walls or doorway like he would in D3.

Besides jonsauce's video, I have seen many screenshots said to be at max resolution and settings and none of them show the stuff I'm talking about, that's why I assume HL2 just doesn't do stuff on that level.

HL 2's enviroment looks way more fun to game in, and the character faces are tons better.  That's where HL2 seems to shine, not in the tech but in the game world they've created with that tech.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 02:14:24 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
That's where HL2 seems to shine, not in the tech but in the game world they've created with that tech.

I agree wholeheartedly! I am an absolute giddy old fart while playing HL2. HL2 is everything I wanted Doom 3 to be. That is why I am so disappointed with Doom 3. While FPSs have evolved and taken many steps forward, Id has set idle with their game design decisions and concentrated on creating a super engine.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2004, 02:17:52 PM »

That's where HL2 seems to shine, not in the tech but in the game world they've created with that tech.

I agree wholeheartedly! I am an absolute giddy old fart while playing HL2. HL2 is everything I wanted Doom 3 to be. That is why I am so disappointed with Doom 3. While FPSs have evolved and taken many steps forward, Id has set idle with their game design decisions and concentrated on creating a super engine.

YAWWWNNNNNNN
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2004, 02:49:29 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

YAWWWNNNNNNN

That's how I feel about Investment Analysts  Tongue
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 07:27:17 PM »

YAWWWNNNNNNN

unibrow
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 07:42:14 PM »

YAWWWNNNNNNN

unibrow

How about some stock tips?  :wink:
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2004, 08:41:34 PM »

YAWWWNNNNNNN

unibrow

How about some stock tips?  :wink:

You should have bought Sirius a month and a half ago.  

So, we have this client who has an enormous position in Qualcomm.  I've recommended to him on countless occasions to at least sell half of it.  A Month and a half ago I tried one more time to convince him to sell some of it.  I told him just this one time sell $10K of it and put it into Sirius.  It was selling for $2.80 at the time.  Did he listen this time?  NOPE! frown  Yesterday the stock almost hit $7, and today it's retraced a bit to around $6.17.  Of course now I'll have a voice message when I get back on Friday telling me he is ready to buy it now, after the fact.  Such is life and I guess it's his loss.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2004, 09:36:47 PM »

Nanotechnology is the future.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2004, 09:44:12 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
Nanotechnology is the future.

Indeed.
Semaj

View Profile
Heh
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2004, 09:57:40 PM »

Plastics my boy, plastics are the future.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
Alefroth

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2004, 11:05:27 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Heh,

AND NO INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED!!!!1!!
*cough*Valve*cough

It's so funny seeing you post these messages on an Internet forum.

Ale
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2004, 11:24:38 PM »

I ain't paying $55 to post these messages here, Ale my boy  :wink:

Besides, exactly how long would it take me on 56K to d/l what I need before I could start playing HL2?

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 02:05:56 AM »

To download the game, or to authenticate it?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
maggie-chow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2004, 05:59:34 AM »

Seems to me that the Gravity Gun would be protected intellectual property?  I mean, let's be honest, this Gravity Gun concept was introduced with Half Life 2.  That's brash, to rip it off this soon.

"I spill my drink!"    [Currently playing: Civ IV (PC), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X (PS2)]
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2004, 08:19:05 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"

Authenticate.

I am....Migaloo
XBL Schins67
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2004, 08:28:40 PM »

I don't think that the HL2 authentication for a retail purchase would take very long, now that the first few weeks after release have gone by. I don't have the game - wish I did - but I'd have to hazard a guess of five min or less. There are a few other threads around here that discuss the Steam authentication though - a better place to ask, if you are curious.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 04:02:09 PM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Quote from: "Dafones"

Authenticate.

I'm pretty sure it'd go fairly quick.  And definitely worth it.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2004, 09:06:13 PM »

Quote from: "maggie-chow"
Seems to me that the Gravity Gun would be protected intellectual property?  I mean, let's be honest, this Gravity Gun concept was introduced with Half Life 2.  That's brash, to rip it off this soon.

It's like with all these modern shooters these days.  You know the ones that use real guns with different names, but they're basically the same thing?  (Counter-Strike)

Doom 3 can pull off the same thing, except this time around they're just taking an idea from another game, which, in a way, is even worse.  Since we all already knew Id is severely lacking in innovation beyond graphics engines.
JSHAW
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2004, 05:24:29 PM »

"HEY GOD, it's Satan. Yeah, well it's too dark down here and I've got alot of people complaining because there aren't more lights and basically just poor lighting, so could you be a nice guy and give us more light down here?"
 :twisted:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: