http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:20:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] Don't Starve  (Read 813 times)
Covenant
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »

Anyone else playing this?  It's currently in beta, but if you buy it you get instant access.

Gameplay is sort of a combination terrarria/roguelike where you run around collecting stuff, crafting items, and trying to stay alive, but once you die, the game is over.  I really dig the concept of learning how to survive little by little, figuring out how to feed yourself, how to survive the evenings, how to build up a base.  The game is extremely stable already, and the developers are adding updates at a failry decent clip. And these are real updates adding all new systems and things to do.

It's only $12 on Steam right now, and you get an extra copy to give away with your purchase, so try it out!
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »

Linky-link to the Steam page. Does look kind of interesting. And here's the link to the developer's site. There are more videos there to ponder.

Covenant, do you have some impressions of the beta?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:02:13 PM by jztemple2 » Logged

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »

For those (like me) looking for further info on the game, I found a YouTube channel my SuperMrJayster Roll Eyes that has a series of beta playthroughs of Don't Starve.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 02:05:45 AM »

Well, this teaches me to try a beta. I ordered the game through Steam and installed. However, it crashes within five seconds of starting gameplay icon_frown. So I would stay far away from this for now, since numbers of other folks are also reporting the same problem.

Apparently they put out a hotfix earlier today and it broke the Steam version. They just put out another update and now it's working again icon_biggrin. I'll keep plugging away.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:46:14 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 02:40:19 PM »

This game is well worth $12!  It's very unique, and has active loving developers who actively solicit ideas and feedback from the forums. 

I don't know if it's still available, but you used to be able to play a demo via the official website (but not via Steam).
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »

There are five pages of discussion on this over at OO if you want to take a peek. And the devs are very actively changing / updating this.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:43 PM »

Wow, I haven't been over on the OO forum in ages. Will give it a look.

Also, I have a second copy for Don't Starve on Steam to give away. First person who wants it and sends me a PM can have it. According to Steam I need either your email address or your Steam ID. Be sure to post a message here in the thread so I know you sent me a PM.

I'll post in this thread as soon as it's been given away. Please only ask for it if you really want it, although now that I've played it a while, I'm thinking it's pretty good icon_biggrin

I've given away my second copy of Don't Starve  icon_wink
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:39:37 AM by jztemple2 » Logged

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 05:16:16 PM »

I'd love to pick this up but splitting it with someone would be even better. Anyone interested?

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 10:12:30 PM »

My best effort so far. I'm holding off playing for awhile, probably till the next update.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 01:17:54 AM »

The new Winter Update is available, lots more ways to die!  icon_eek

Update Notes - Feb 26th

WINTER:
-Winter comes every 20 days or so, with snow and a new audio landscape.
-Ambient air temperature is modelled, and Wilson will get colder the longer he stays out in the open.
-Getting too cold for too long will cause freezing damage. You can extend your time away from the fire by wearing warm clothing.
-Nights are longer, and vegetation does not replenish.
-Bees and butterflies don’t leave their houses in the winter.

IMPROVED MOD SUPPORT:
-There is a new mod API that should make mods break less when the game updates, and allows multiple mods to work at the same time. There is some documentation on how to create
a mod at: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?10817-TUTORIAL-Creating-a-Mod-using-the-Mod-System

-Language packs are now actually supported. The game supplies a 'strings.pot' template file with every update, and the game can load .po language files. This should make maintaining translations a lot easier, and allows the usage of industry-standard tools. For more info, go to: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?10819-TUTORIAL-Creating-a-translation-using-the-PO-Format

NEW CREATURES:
-MacTusk the Walrus - Sets up camp in an igloo, and then hunt you with blowdarts and hounds.
-Deerclops - He’s big, he likes to smash stuff, and he’s really hard to kill. You should probably just run away.
-Winter Koalefant - You can harvest his warm winter trunk.
-Snowbird - A winter bird that drops a new type of feather.
-Mosquitos - Spawn from ponds or Maxwellian traps. They eat too much and explode!
-Ice Hound - Comes instead of the Fire Hound during winter.

NEW ITEM DROPS:
-Blue Gem
-Walrus Tusk
-Deerclops Eye
-Tam o’Shanter
-Snowbird Feather

NEW CRAFTABLES:
-Ice Staff
-Winterometer
-Blow Darts (damaging)
-Winter Trunk Vest

ADVENTURE MODE (CONTINUED):
-This update continues the development of Adventure mode, and seeks to refine the difficulty curve.
-Varying summer/winter lengths
-Varying day/night lengths
-New resource-starved worlds
-Island chain worlds with lots of wormholes

SANDBOX MODE (CONTINUED):
-Added a new world creation screen. There are only a couple of options enabled currently, but soon you will be able to unlock more!

SANITY TUNING:
-From our testing, we determined that sanity was coming on too early for new players, but was also easily avoidable by established players. The intention is for sanity to be a long-term lurking danger, so this was the complete opposite of what we were going for. Here are some changes to help rectify this:
-Vegetables, crock foods don’t regen as much sanity.
-Monsters cause more sanity drain when near.
-Player’s Initial sanity is higher.
-Pure darkness causes a large drop sanity (instead of a gradient around a light source).
-Shadowbeasts show up later in the sanity curve, and are unattackable when you are not insane.
-The crawling horror is weaker and the Terrorbeak is tougher.
-The invisible monster deals sanity damage when he hits you.
-The sanity effect jiggles more slowly, so as to be less nauseating.

TUNING/FIXES:
-Rabbit traps work again
-Maxwell leaves traps for you in adventure mode
-Armour is less effective
-Player attacks are less powerful
-Pigs can’t be stunlocked, have less windup animation before an attack, attack less often, have more health, take longer to respawn, and attempt to kite their targets
-Bees run around between attacks
-Meat healing and health values adjusted
-Dead rabbits respawn slower
-Beefalo drop fewer meats
-Honey doesn’t heal as much
-Honey generates more slowly in bee boxes
-Spider dens have more warriors, and cycle through levels faster
-Spoilage is a bit faster in general
-Stale food has less of a hunger penalty
-Healing values are a bit lower in general
-Ponds show up in more places
-Eyebones turn to ash during teleportation even if you hide them in a backpack
-Teleportato pieces are more scattered, and have little setpiece scenes surrounding them
-Panflutes require a mandrake to craft
-Darts shouldn’t miss targets that are walking away
-More effective bushhat

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: