http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 09:13:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOMINIONS 3 IS SHIPPING  (Read 2798 times)
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED
Gaming Trend Senior Member

get naked

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2006, 01:37:26 AM »

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/illwinter/Dom3/1.htm

Go buy this game right now.

No, I don't care that the demo is a couple days late.

No, I don't care that the game is an indie title that's $55.

No excuses.  If you have any interest in fantasy turn-based strategy, FFS buy this game.  I need GTer nubs to multiplay with.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 01:44:27 AM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 01:53:47 AM »

I am buying it.

But $54.95?

Damn.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »

Looks cool, but very dated graphics, but I might still give it a try if I heard more.  But $54.95 is absolutely the highest I would spend on a game, so it would have to be pretty godlike to pay that for it.

Any detailed impressions anywhere?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
siege

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 04:30:31 AM »

Never could get into Dominions 2 and this doesn't look much different. I'll stick to the Age of Wonders series for my fantasy tbs.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 04:35:23 AM »

Unless the reviews say dramatically improved interface that even casual gamers cane play, I'm not buying.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:15:39 AM »

The interface has definitely improved.  But it's not a total reinvention.  I don't know if Casuals can just pick up and play it with absolutely no instruction or anything. 

Just Hiro will do.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 02:36:36 PM »

Skipping this one, I picked up Dominions 2 and played it all of 10 times.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 04:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 01, 2006, 04:22:00 AM

Looks cool, but very dated graphics, but I might still give it a try if I heard more.  But $54.95 is absolutely the highest I would spend on a game, so it would have to be pretty godlike to pay that for it.

You should at least try the demo when it comes out.  Dominions is the best fantasy strategy game, IMHO.  There is a lot of info and AAR on the net if you Google for it.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2006, 05:44:07 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on October 01, 2006, 04:22:00 AM

Dominions 2 was not bad and from what I understand Dominions 3 is more of the same but better. The interface whilst not being great was not bad once you get over how it all works. The game - if the idea of controlling Gods and powerful being that can smite armies appeals then it could be the game for you. The game works very well in MP/Turn based. Not sure about SP - never could bring myself to play it in that so would need others to comment. I did hanker for diplomacy in the game - but the idea of the one true God seeking a truce with another true god is against the spirit of things smile

Main screen/map graphics are ok in a Europa Universalis type of style. The battle graphics - reasonably dire but they do the job of clarifying how your troops are working together.

I'm giving it a miss at this juncture - I think for a small dev its overpriced.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
T
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2006, 06:27:14 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 01, 2006, 05:44:07 PM

Tals

I agree and you won't find a bigger Dominions fan than me.  However, to be fair, I will wait for the demo, which I think is coming next week, and some reviews/impressions.  I will most likely eventually buy it, but I would like to get it for $40 or less.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2006, 04:54:02 PM »

Sorry, for 55 bucks, the game needs a COMPLETE overhaul of the UI. From everything I've read, this game doesn't deliver it. I can deal with bad graphics. I can deal with bad sound. I cannot deal with a horrible UI.

Not to mention that I'm only interested in playing single player. Tough to justify 55 bucks for that. Still going to try out the demo though.

Welcome to the Bovine.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2006, 08:21:23 PM »

Tals

Its price is because its a indie game. This isn't a Bejeweled puzzle game but a full fledged game that offers as much "under the hood" as any big AAA title. Its problem is they don't have the money or team size to make all the visual/UI stuff top notch. This isn't uncommen since they arn't in a position to sell 500K like a big retail title. Its the same as titles from publishers like Matrix Games and their WWII turn-based stuff. They appeal to a niche audience that is willing to pay for this content since they can't get it elsewhere.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 09:07:38 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 02, 2006, 08:21:23 PM

Tals

Its price is because its a indie game. This isn't a Bejeweled puzzle game but a full fledged game that offers as much "under the hood" as any big AAA title. Its problem is they don't have the money or team size to make all the visual/UI stuff top notch. This isn't uncommen since they arn't in a position to sell 500K like a big retail title. Its the same as titles from publishers like Matrix Games and their WWII turn-based stuff. They appeal to a niche audience that is willing to pay for this content since they can't get it elsewhere.

If this was a big team i'd buy it. We're talking a team of 2 - so I don't buy that, no pun intended. They sold it at 30$ they would sell a ton.

Tals

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 02, 2006, 09:07:38 PM

Quote from: Jumangi on October 02, 2006, 08:21:23 PM

Tals

If this was a big team i'd buy it. We're talking a team of 2 - so I don't buy that, no pun intended. They sold it at 30$ they would sell a ton.

Tals
I hope you love EA, Tals, because with an attitude like that, that's the only dev/pub house that'll be left soon enough.

And seriously, $30?  Are you high?  The Dominions series is stuffed with content and the third iteration is the most expansive of the lot.  I don't see you bitching about the now common practice of releasing 10- or 12-hour fluff for $40 or $50 retail.

Furthermore, they're already selling a ton at $55.  I kid you not, the copies are selling as fast as they can print them -- I don't think they've even met all the preorders yet.

Finally, what the hell does team size have to do with a game's value?  There is no correlation between the quality of a game and the game's team size, in fact, there's evidence to suggest that there's actually a negative correlation, thanks to the design-by-committee slaughterhouses like EA/Activision/Midway/Acclaim/Atari/Interplay/etc.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 09:36:52 PM by -Lord Ebonstone- » Logged

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:12:57 PM »

I agree that the notion of small dev house = low price doesn't make sense.  I have found that small dev teams usually result in very focused and deep games. But if I pay $55 for a 360 game at least I will be able to get $25 back in trade down the road.  Also there is not a huge difference between Dom2 and Dom3 that I can see. 

That being said I have already placed my order.  Dom2 was by far the best multiplayer TBS game I have ever played.  And Dom 3 looks immense in scope. 

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2006, 11:09:16 PM »

Finally, what the hell does team size have to do with a game's value?  There is no correlation between the quality of a game and the game's team size, in fact, there's evidence to suggest that there's actually a negative correlation, thanks to the design-by-committee slaughterhouses like EA/Activision/Midway/Acclaim/Atari/Interplay/etc.

Do you have any concept of costs - I mean seriously? The only correct statement you make is it has nothing todo with quality, i.e the more money shoved at a game the better it will be doesn't follow.

However at the same time 2 devs (i'm sure their is a reasonable team behind them), selling a bucket load of their game - its Shrapnel's best selling game - so how come it's still as expensive. Yet as I understand it the game has changed very little from Dominion 2.

We will go round on this, I think its over priced - you don't. That's ok smile Lets get some impressions coming to tempt me to part with my wonger smile

Tals

FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 05:33:32 PM »

Marketing 101...You price to what the market will bear.

With x = price and y = volume, the question is, how do you maxmize x * y?

Cost of goods is irrelevant. If you already determined that you can't make a profit after figuring out the correct price to maximize x * y, you don't make the widget.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

Quote from: FlyingElvis on October 03, 2006, 05:33:32 PM

Marketing 101...You price to what the market will bear.

With x = price and y = volume, the question is, how do you maxmize x * y?

Cost of goods is irrelevant. If you already determined that you can't make a profit after figuring out the correct price to maximize x * y, you don't make the widget.

IMPRESSIONS  icon_evil Who gives a stuff whether they make a profit - its over priced - period but if its a great game it will take it. I suspect its not enough of an improvement over Dom 2. Then again it is one of the only really good MP turn based games around so who knows whether I may be swayed.

Tals

Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2006, 07:37:15 PM »

$55?  They're out of their fucking minds.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2006, 08:48:55 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 03, 2006, 05:49:34 PM

IMPRESSIONS  icon_evil Who gives a stuff whether they make a profit - its over priced - period but if its a great game it will take it. I suspect its not enough of an improvement over Dom 2. Then again it is one of the only really good MP turn based games around so who knows whether I may be swayed.

Um, presumably Dominion fans would care whether they make a profit because that means they can make more, you know, Dominions games. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 09:26:40 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 04, 2006, 08:48:55 PM

Um, presumably Dominion fans would care whether they make a profit because that means they can make more, you know, Dominions games. 

We still arn't getting impressions. But as I understand it Illwinter do it as much for love as for making a profit. I'm still on the fence and take the view of others that I may get it but that doesn't mean I like the price and it's certainly making me think hard before taking that call.

Tals

p.s Personally I think its Strategy first making the big profit here IMHO - not the devs smile

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »

Quote from: Tals on October 04, 2006, 09:26:40 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 04, 2006, 08:48:55 PM

We still arn't getting impressions. But as I understand it Illwinter do it as much for love as for making a profit. I'm still on the fence and take the view of others that I may get it but that doesn't mean I like the price and it's certainly making me think hard before taking that call.

Tals

p.s Personally I think its Strategy first making the big profit here IMHO - not the devs smile
We all know Strategy First is a poopy publisher, but to stoop so low as to steal Shrapnel's profits? I doubt they'd be so crude. smile

PLEASE TELL US HOW THE GAME PLAYS somebody.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2006, 10:10:46 PM »

lol my bad smile i'm assuming those with impressions are going to pipe up when they are good and ready

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2006, 10:27:45 PM »

When my copy comes in, sure.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2006, 01:51:27 AM »

My copy shipped today.  I hope I get it before the weekend.

olaf

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2006, 05:16:08 AM »

I got mine Tuesday.  The manual is spiral bound and 300 pages.  About half of that is manual and the other half the Grimoire, ie. the appendix/reference area.  Its a very functional black type on white paper layout.  Havent played a game yet, we are just getting moved into a new house and I got tons of shit to do.  For those interested,  I preordered May 6 and my order shipped out Sept 30 via USPS Priority and arrived Oct 3.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2006, 07:38:08 PM »

For those that haven't realised. Demo is now available

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Illwinter/Dom3/6.htm

Tals

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: