http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 09:42:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Mass Effect get better?  (Read 2617 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2008, 06:24:28 PM »

Without spoiling it for me, is the story going to get better?  Right now I have played maybe 3-4 hours and I am not finding it great.  The combat seems worse than KoToR, the interface is worse, the characters don't seem as interesting, and I don't even think it looks as good.  I am hoping the story will really kick off here once I leave the Citadel and can explore the galaxy but so far it isn't blowing me away.   Maybe it is the travel time.  I wanted to manually go to each location first so I could run into any extra quests but going from the embassy to the lower wards takes forever!  Run, run, run, then wait on an elevator...etc.  It does give a sense of how bit the Citadel is but it is so dull! 

So, without spoilers, will it get better?

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I just left the Citadel and completed a planet where you pick up an extra party member.  I find that I am forcing myself keep playing waiting for the game to click.  So far I'm not feeling it.

I feel like I should be loving it.  But I'm not.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »

The Citadel was the most boring part by far.  Sci-fi walk and talk.  I definitely thought it got better once you left and got onto the planets themselves.  I would give it through at least one of the main quest planets past the Citadel before passing judgement.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 06:38:25 PM »

I hear the last 8 hours or so of story are pretty awesome.  I'm in the same boat as you guys, so I've basically decided to skip all side quests and move the story along to try to get to that awesome.  The suck leading to the awesome is pretty significant though.

gellar
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 06:50:49 PM »

Seconded: Get out of the Citadel ASAP and do the first few main quest planets.

Also, when you are in the Citadel, use the fast transport things instead of the elevators; they're faster.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2008, 06:50:49 PM

Seconded: Get out of the Citadel ASAP and do the first few main quest planets.

Also, when you are in the Citadel, use the fast transport things instead of the elevators; they're faster.

I was in the same boat as you guys.  I had been in the Citadel for a couple hours and it made me put the game down for a few weeks.  I picked it back up, got through the Citadel and then the fun began afterwards.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 07:10:56 PM »

Here I am to be the odd one out again.  I love the SciFi walk & talk.  It's all part of the entire package.  I spent hours in the citadel alone and it was fun.  I really enjoy talking to the characters you meet.  They each have a story and it makes my imagination soar.  The Volus are cool looking.  The entire story of the Quarian's and their personal quests and their nomadic lifestyle is mesmerizing!  It's an amazing, completely new universe they created.  Enjoy all the little things too!  You can't just blitz through games like this.  They are to savored and enjoyed to the fullest!  Even the architecture and scenery and the non-speaking characters you walk pass are fun to admire.  Don't you ever walk pass a character in the game and wonder what planet he/she/it is from?  Why they are there?  Who they are talking to?  I love this stuff.  It's the little things.  Like Liara commenting on how pretty the lake in the citadel is and Ashley responding:  "I wonder how many people drowned in there."  icon_lol  These are the little things you miss out on when you just race through a game.

It seems that it's more and more like people want just the beginning, skip to the middle and jettison to the ending.  Why doesn't anyone like to enjoy the in-between stuff anymore?  I bet that if some people who are not enjoying the game (or any other game for that matter) would take the time to really soak it in and enjoy "everything" the game offers they would probably enjoy it more.

Or am I just crazy?   slywink

I also don't understand the complaint about the elevators.  It's only about 10-15 seconds and you hear story updates (especially those from adventures you completed) or listen to your teammates banter back and forth or you can just enjoy looking at Liara's hot ass!  thumbsup  I guess most gamers have ADD or something.  icon_wink
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:13:10 PM by Starshifter » Logged

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 07:15:49 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on January 24, 2008, 07:10:56 PM

Yes.

gellar
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 07:16:41 PM »

It seems that it's more and more like people want just the beginning, skip to the middle and jettison to the ending.  Why doesn't anyone like to enjoy the in-between stuff anymore?  I bet that if some people who are not enjoying the game (or any other game for that matter) would take the time to really soak it in and enjoy "everything" the game offers they would probably enjoy it more.

I also don't understand the complaint about the elevators.  It's only about 10-15 seconds and you hear story updates (especially those from adventures you completed) or listen to your teammates banter back and forth or you can just enjoy looking at Liara's hot ass!  thumbsup  I guess most gamers have ADD or something.  icon_wink

Many gamers are getting a bit older and have more time pressures. Waiting on elevators just feels like wasted time, conversations that go nowhere are wasted time. We want the meat and potatoes whiel the kids still asleep, no time for boring veggies, he could wake up at any moment!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »

In looking back after finishing it, I would give the start of the game a solid 'B'. I think there was some content cuts, and even though Bioware are awesome at smoothing it over, the start of the game just felt a little bit 'meh' to me.

However, the end of the game straps you in and takes off. It's a hell of a ride though the last couple of missions, and the story -really- takes off. A+ stuff. Definately worth the bit of slowness at the start.

(All IMO, of course).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 07:29:19 PM »

Friendly retort.  Even if you're doing a "take your time and enjoy the scenery" approach, you have to admit that the encounters you take your time with are much more interesting once you leave the Citadel.

Mild amusement.  I have to say that if you're going to pick an interesting species to highlight, the Elcor are even better than the Volus and the Quarians.

Quiet parenthetical.  Though I admit the Quarian story is pretty neat.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 07:33:09 PM »

I wish I was more like Shifty. 

I want to care about the little details.  But I just can't get past the clunky combat and inventory management system.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:50:27 PM by denoginizer » Logged

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 07:37:47 PM »

I liked the whole plodding at the beginning of the game, but yeah, once you get out of the Citadel and through the story-advancing missions, the game really shines, imo.  The inventory management could have been done a whole lot better, as is the case with the Mako.  The last mission at Virmire was fantastic.

The side missions were hit-or-miss, I thought.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:21 PM »

Mass Effect is utter crap. I've finished the interminable citadel, went to the planet where you picked up the last party member, and am just about finished with the ice planet. First, the engine is complete garbage. You can't walk six steps on the ice planet without the game stuttering and the frame rates aren't that much better anywhere else. The combat is completely broken. Any time you're in a firefight in an enclosed area, the AI completely breaks down. And so far there's so few skills and variety of enemies that combat gets old really fast.

Then there's the story. It's laughably bad. There's a sequence where you fight against one of the main bad guys and the cut scene after the fight is so utterly ridiculous that I was laughing all the way through it. The background of the universe is spoon fed to you through dry codex entries rather than through character interactions. Have they never heard of "show, don't tell?"  And don't get me started on how all the optional planets are just thinly-veiled collect-a-thons.

The sad thing is that there's a good 10 hour action-adventure game struggling to get out of a completely boned 20-30 hour RPG. I hope for the sequel they jettison all the character building, random planets, and ridiculously stupid side quests and focus on improving the combat and building on the elements of the story that worked.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 07:38:46 PM »

Quote from: gellar on January 24, 2008, 07:15:49 PM

Yes.

gellar

Wow, plus so many.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 07:39:20 PM »

The last 10 hours or so of the game, and the entire straight shot from Noveria-Feros-other planet-finale is just incredible, tremendous gaming. Great story, writing, acting, combat, etc.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 07:44:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 24, 2008, 07:33:09 PM

I wish I was more like Shifty. 

I want to care about the little details.  But I just can't get past the clunky combat and inventory managemnt system.

I actually do care about the little details and agree with Shifty for the most part, but even then, I think it went on too long.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 07:56:01 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 24, 2008, 07:38:21 PM

Mass Effect is utter crap. I've finished the interminable citadel, went to the planet where you picked up the last party member, and am just about finished with the ice planet. First, the engine is complete garbage. You can't walk six steps on the ice planet without the game stuttering and the frame rates aren't that much better anywhere else. The combat is completely broken. Any time you're in a firefight in an enclosed area, the AI completely breaks down. And so far there's so few skills and variety of enemies that combat gets old really fast.

Then there's the story. It's laughably bad. There's a sequence where you fight against one of the main bad guys and the cut scene after the fight is so utterly ridiculous that I was laughing all the way through it. The background of the universe is spoon fed to you through dry codex entries rather than through character interactions. Have they never heard of "show, don't tell?"  And don't get me started on how all the optional planets are just thinly-veiled collect-a-thons.

I am almost in the exact same spot as you and I have to agree with everything you say there. 

greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 24, 2008, 07:39:20 PM

The last 10 hours or so of the game, and the entire straight shot from Noveria-Feros-other planet-finale is just incredible, tremendous gaming. Great story, writing, acting, combat, etc.

Yep. I made the mistake of hitting that other planet
Spoiler for Hiden:
Vimire
at about 10:30 or so one night (weekend or holiday).

After that point, things -really- take off.

I beat the game at about 6 or so that morning. The fighting sequence near the end (a long walk, those that have gotten there know what I'm talking about) was a blast. smile
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »

Wow, so Vimrire is the end? Of the initial 3 "plot" planets I have done 2 of them. Now in my main tasks I have the 1 remaining and Vimrire (neither of which I have been to). Is that really all that's left of the main game? I didn't realize the main plot was so short.Of the 2 main plot planets I have done, Feros was awesome. The other one where you get the blue chick was good, but not as great. I have just been doing side quests since.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 08:52:32 PM »

No Virmire is not the end.  It's just that events kick into such high gear there that you'll want to play through to the end as fast as possible. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 08:54:13 PM »

Here I am to be the odd one out again.  I love the SciFi walk & talk.  It's all part of the entire package.  I spent hours in the citadel alone and it was fun.  I really enjoy talking to the characters you meet.  They each have a story and it makes my imagination soar.  The Volus are cool looking.  The entire story of the Quarian's and their personal quests and their nomadic lifestyle is mesmerizing!  It's an amazing, completely new universe they created.  Enjoy all the little things too!  You can't just blitz through games like this.  They are to savored and enjoyed to the fullest!  Even the architecture and scenery and the non-speaking characters you walk pass are fun to admire.  Don't you ever walk pass a character in the game and wonder what planet he/she/it is from?  Why they are there?  Who they are talking to?  I love this stuff.  It's the little things.  Like Liara commenting on how pretty the lake in the citadel is and Ashley responding:  "I wonder how many people drowned in there."  icon_lol  These are the little things you miss out on when you just race through a game.

Shifty this may sound like a weird question but do you read a lot of books?  Because given your preferences for world detail, character interaction, etc, I would think you'd eat up some of the sci-fi book series out there. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 09:01:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 24, 2008, 08:52:32 PM

No Virmire is not the end.  It's just that events kick into such high gear there that you'll want to play through to the end as fast as possible. 
Apparently it's not a spoiler either smile
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »

Quote from: kathode
The Citadel was the most boring part by far.  Sci-fi walk and talk.  I definitely thought it got better once you left and got onto the planets themselves.  I would give it through at least one of the main quest planets past the Citadel before passing judgement.

This is *exactly* what I said to a couple friends who are getting ready to start the game.  I powered through the Citadel quests in a single sitting and as I saved before exiting the station, I thought to myself, "Boy, I don't think I like this game much at all."

Once you get out into the galaxy proper, things really start picking up.  The main quest missions are quite good, and even though the optional side quests aren't nearly as deep, they still offer up some interesting moral choices that help define your character.  Reaching higher levels also opens up more interesting abilities and more varied weapon upgrades, and as you face off against increasingly powerful enemies, you'll discover there's more tactical depth to the game than you'd expect at first.

Mass Effect has a lot of room for improvement, particularly with the interface, the depth and quality of the side missions, and the lack of "punch" in the combat, but I agree with kathode 100% about the way it improves once you get off the Citadel.

-Autistic Angel
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »

It grabbed me right away. What killed my was when I started doing side quests and exploring random planets, the buggy controls drove me nuts, and I had the most powerful weapons and more money than what I knew what to do with before I even started the main quest. Shelved it for a week and tore through the main quest, which is really good, though the last few hours didn't blow me away as some people were raving about.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on January 24, 2008, 07:16:41 PM

Many gamers are getting a bit older and have more time pressures. Waiting on elevators just feels like wasted time, conversations that go nowhere are wasted time. We want the meat and potatoes whiel the kids still asleep, no time for boring veggies, he could wake up at any moment!

+1 

The feeling of not loving the game really hit me when I realized that I had played 2+ hours last night and nothing happened except I was a bit higher level.  At least nothing in terms of the story.  It is nice that the hooker err consort got her name cleared but did I really need to talk to her, go a bar 4 minutes away, talk to the general, travel another 4-5 minutes to the diplomat, then walk back to her?  All totaled the mission probably was 1/2 an hour and nothing really important happened! 

With the baby situation I probably won't have a block of time that long to play for the rest of the week....and I wasted it with nothing happening!  That is annoying, very annoying.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »

I'm with Shifty. I agree with some of you that it'd be nice if the side-quests had more of an impact in the game, but they are what really fleshed out the universe and made it more interesting. Adds a lot of backstory and information as well. I enjoy them.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on January 24, 2008, 06:24:28 PM

The combat seems worse than KoToR, the interface is worse, the characters don't seem as interesting, and I don't even think it looks as good.

I think you need to have either your eyes or your TV examined  icon_biggrin  Mass Effect is absolutely beautiful, with some of the best graphics I've ever seen, whereas KoTOR looked little better than a PS2 game.

I agree that ME does not start that well.  I usually enjoy the non-combat stuff, and seeing all the alien designs was great, but the Citadel went on too long, and the sidequests were not up that interesting.  Then, when you get off the Citadel, the early combat is way too hard.  I'm finally getting into the good stuff now, but what kept me going was the amazing character interactions.  The world and characters (especially the aliens) are fascinating, the conversations and voice acting are the best I've ever seen in a game.    My first conversation after rescuing Liara was one of those unforgettable video gaming moments for me, when it almost seemed I wasn't playing a game, but having a conversation with a real person.

Bioware hasn't yet had a game where they put everything together, but I have a feeling that Mass Effect 2 and 3 will finally bring all their strengths together in one package.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 10:16:45 PM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 10:42:14 PM »

Quote from: nymanium on January 24, 2008, 09:34:29 PM

It grabbed me right away. What killed my was when I started doing side quests and exploring random planets, the buggy controls drove me nuts, and I had the most powerful weapons and more money than what I knew what to do with before I even started the main quest. Shelved it for a week and tore through the main quest, which is really good, though the last few hours didn't blow me away as some people were raving about.

This was my feeling as well.  I actually really enjoyed the Citadel, and had no problem with the slow pace and storytelling.  In fact, some of the side-stories you encounter there were the best part of the game.  However, I got bored with the same-ish side planets right away, and absolutely hated the vehicle controls.  Not being an FPS player, I thought the combat was 'meh', but the main storyline kept me fairly interested.  My only gripe with the ending is that it felt very abrupt. 

I really enjoyed the game overall, but it certainly had it's warts.  Graphics would certainly not be one of them, but YMMV I suppose.  My guess is that anyone who isn't typically an RPG player would absolutely hate the pseudo-FPS style and slow start, but I liked it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »

I think it gets better as you go along...but honestly if you dont like it right off, its not your game (and likely not your genre) and your time is better spent doing something else.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »

Quote from: olaf on January 25, 2008, 06:53:07 PM

I think it gets better as you go along...but honestly if you dont like it right off, its not your game (and likely not your genre) and your time is better spent doing something else.

That's a bit over the top, isn't it?  If you like RPGs with an interesting storyline and a sense of discovery as you explore the universe, you could spend 6 hours in the Citadel without seeing any of that.  That's like saying if you don't like the opening Baldur's Gate 2 dungeon or killing rats at the start of Fallout 2 then you won't like the rest of the game.
noun
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2008, 07:08:37 PM »

On the plus side, you can make a choice to play a brief 12 hour adventure or a 30+ hour planet crawl to see absolutely any and everything. If you want the former, just do the main story quests - citadel, bust out and hit the three planets the main story tells you, and after that the main story path becomes really obvious to complete.

I totally understand the tedium complaints. I didn't really get into Mass Effect until I was level 20 or so, and a lot of that was getting used to the interface. But I can honestly say the final third of the game rocked like no game I've played in years. Consider that for a moment - when's the last time the FINAL third of a game was better than the rest of a game? Usually, it's the reverse, especially for RPGs.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2008, 08:56:26 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on January 24, 2008, 08:54:13 PM

Shifty this may sound like a weird question but do you read a lot of books?  Because given your preferences for world detail, character interaction, etc, I would think you'd eat up some of the sci-fi book series out there.

I use to read a lot of books.  Not so much now.  Mainly fantasy types (i.e., Dragonlance Series, Eternal Champion books (Michael Moorcock), John Carter of Mars, Forgotten Realms etc.).  Surprisingly, I read very little Sci Fi.  I think my preference to detail, character interaction and story dates back to my days playing Wing Commander on the PC.  I was so attached to my character and attached to the other characters in the series that to this day I continue to have deep, vivid and fond memories of my experiences in the Wing Commander universe.  That series alone defined how I approach and play games even to this day.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2008, 08:59:54 PM »

Hmm, well then I would certainly recommend that you get back into reading- I think you would likely find there is a ton of stuff out there now in both fantasy and sci-fi that would appeal to your interests. 
davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »

The sad thing is that there's a good 10 hour action-adventure game struggling to get out of a completely boned 20-30 hour RPG. I hope for the sequel they jettison all the character building, random planets, and ridiculously stupid side quests and focus on improving the combat and building on the elements of the story that worked.

LOL, I'm really trying to figure out if this post attempting to be ironic. When you take a scifi RPG and jettison "character building, random planets, and ridiculously stupid side quests and focus on improving the combat" you get...a action platformer?!  Roll Eyes I get that RPGs are not for everyone but I think most people know when you buy a Hummer you don't expect 50 MPG...

davidf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 24, 2008, 06:29:58 PM

I'm kind of in the same boat.  I just left the Citadel and completed a planet where you pick up an extra party member.  I find that I am forcing myself keep playing waiting for the game to click.  So far I'm not feeling it.

I feel like I should be loving it.  But I'm not.

Same way I felt about Witcher. I think some game either vibe with you, or they don't. This one for me was the best RPG I've ever played. The story just keeps getting better and better, and finishes into the best RPG/movie experinces I've EVER had!!!  Of course it has it down sides

First section on Citadel was the weakest element of the game
I loved that I could explore, or not. I did a lot at the begining but petered off later
Some of the side quests and stories were interesting, especially the paty memebers side quests!
Doesn't mark locations you've already been to, and doesn't grey out previously explored dialoge options
The interface is not the most intuitative, takes about 10 hours before it becomes second nature, and by then you are getting to the really REALLY good stuff!
The inventory system, they keep making the same mistakes here, jemini Crickets create a sort by type feature of something! RPG are supposed to have the acces points built into the windows, I think it would have been more intuitive if inventory management such as item combining had a on screen selection. I think this would have helped navigate easier when your just starting.
Exploring with the Mako could be very annoying on some planets, it was frankly one of the weaker elements of the game
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:48:33 PM by davidf » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 04:06:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2008, 07:29:19 PM

Friendly retort.  Even if you're doing a "take your time and enjoy the scenery" approach, you have to admit that the encounters you take your time with are much more interesting once you leave the Citadel.

Mild amusement.  I have to say that if you're going to pick an interesting species to highlight, the Elcor are even better than the Volus and the Quarians.

Quiet parenthetical.  Though I admit the Quarian story is pretty neat.

Explicative.  Fuck, you rock!

Smiley.   thumbsup

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2008, 04:44:57 PM »

Quote from: davidf on January 26, 2008, 03:36:34 PM

LOL, I'm really trying to figure out if this post attempting to be ironic. When you take a scifi RPG and jettison "character building, random planets, and ridiculously stupid side quests and focus on improving the combat" you get...a action platformer?!  Roll Eyes I get that RPGs are not for everyone but I think most people know when you buy a Hummer you don't expect 50 MPG...

The RPG elements in Mass Effect suck and are broken beyond repair. That doesn't mean I don't like RPGs, it just means that I think Mass Effect is a lousy RPG. The game's strengths are its story, graphics, and combat. My point was that they should stick with the things that work in the sequel and just make an action game, otherwise the sequel's going to be just as bad as this one. I expected to buy a Hummer but what Bioware gave me was a Corvair.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2008, 05:12:30 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on January 26, 2008, 04:44:57 PM

My point was that they should stick with the things that work in the sequel and just make an action game, otherwise the sequel's going to be just as bad as this one.

I hope the sequel is just as "bad" as this one.  I loved Mass Effect and finished it twice.  And I thought it was a great RPG.  Not perfect and there were some obvious flaws (mostly with the inventory and UI) but I liked it a lot more than Jade Empire or Oblivion and just as much as KOTOR.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon
The RPG elements in Mass Effect suck and are broken beyond repair. That doesn't mean I don't like RPGs, it just means that I think Mass Effect is a lousy RPG. The game's strengths are its story, graphics, and combat.

As console RPGs go, I thought Mass Effect had very good role-playing elements.  There are experience points to gain and skill points to assign, but beyond that, the choices you make in the game impact the storyline and ultimately affect who's still standing at the end of the game.  Compared to games like Final Fantasy which are really just about navigating a linear and unchangable storyline, I'd say that ME has a much stronger role-playing experience.

I'd also argue that ME has a deeper and more nuanced sense of morality than Bioware's previous games.  Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire were very good games, but when your character came upon a kitten stuck in a tree, the available options tended to be

1) save the kitten,

2) walk away, or

3) burn down the tree, the orphanage next door, and the surrounding village of nuns and puppies.

The situations in ME are a lot less stark: instead of a kitten in the tree, you find a monster in a cage, pleading for its life.  Now you're not facing a decision between "Good" and "Pointless Cruelty," but a choice between compassion and prudence.  Those are a lot tougher, and a lot more interesting to make.

I would have said that in comparision to the role-playing elements, the combat system in ME is the part of the game that could use the most improvement.  The weapon effects are weak, with very little in the way of visual or aural feedback to give you an intuitive sense of what's happening.  When my character died, it was usually because I couldn't figure out which direction he was taking fire from.  This game has a lot it could learn from contemporaries like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warrior and Rainbow Six.

-Autistic Angel
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: