http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 08:05:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone here even have a DS? I have some ?? PSP too!  (Read 3631 times)
Scott
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2005, 01:44:20 PM »

I still don't see it like N64 vs. PS2 like you said Scott. When you look at the release lists for the DS they don't look anything like a N64 listing, the touch screen changes that, I mean games like Lost in Blue and Another Code alone show that the DS is definately going down a different path.

The games may be different, or use different mechanics, but I still think you'll see your share of Nintendo trademarks.  You'll have most of the games focused at kids, with cutsey graphics.  The games may be a ton of fun, but most of them won't be focused at mature gamers.  I tend to like stuff that focuses at the older (18+ crowd).  I'm loving God of War, GTA, and Metal Gear.  I think you'll see more of the mature games on the PSP then you will on the Nintendo.  But we can differ on our opinions smile.  I'm completely happy with my PSP.  Still wows.

If I want to tap something with a stylus I'll play solitare on my PDA.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2005, 08:25:53 PM »

I don`t know about that whole "mature" gamers thing... :roll:  I`m mature, and I love the DS..........................and the PSP........

I just don`t understand this whole my team is better than your team arguement. You like a system, I like two. Lets go play them! :wink:
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2005, 09:33:03 PM »

IGN put up a head to head comparison of the PSP vs DS over here, and it seems about right on.

The end summary:
Final Word
If you add up the tallies, it comes out to Nintendo DS: 3, PSP: 3, Tie: 2, or an overall tie. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. If you look at the category winners, the PSP takes the system power, control and media categories while the Nintendo DS takes battery life, portability and load times.

So in theory, the Nintendo DS is a better portable system but the PSP is the better all-around system. This seems like a fair enough assessment and the final word we'll stick with.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2005, 09:38:01 PM »

They don`t mention the crazy amounts of shitty systems out there right now(defects etc.). Sony=lots, Nintendo=lots less. I like both, but that`s the truth.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2005, 10:09:35 PM »

don`t know about that whole "mature" gamers thing...

I don't have time to research, but I'd bet on the whole there are a lot more M rated Sony games out there then Nintendo ones.  If that is true, then Sony games target more 18+ gamers, correct?

Looking at Nintendo's big franchies like Mario, Wario, Zelda, and Pokemon, these are all G rated games.  All of these games are also very cartoony, or very appropriate for young viewers.

Looking at Sony's main franchies like Metal Gear, Devil May Cry, GTA, etc., they are mostly M rated games, or at least T.  The audience for a substantial amount of Sony games is 18+.

Of course, not all 18+ consumers are more mature then 10 year olds, but a fair amount are.  A lot of these Sony games certainly target mature gamers, and deal with more mature themes.

Making any more sense why people tend to think of Nintendo's games as targetted towards kids?

I am not claiming that the Nintendo games are not fun, or that older gamers can not enjoy them.  Some older gamers do enjoy them, which is fine.  The games themselves though, just target and different audience and deal with simpler themes, or themes appropriate for children (which helps get the ratings that Mario, Pokemon, etc. do).

I do not mean to make fun of older people (18+) that like Nintendo games.  Fine.  A bunch of them are very fun.  You don't have to get so defensive.

One example for me, I love Advance Wars.  But when I play, I always think it is pretty odd that teens or very young people are in charge of armies and defending the country.   How many US soldiers would follow a 19 year girl in a tank top?  Themes and appearances like this are common for videogames though, but more common it seems for Nintendo products.

I had a hard time getting into Final Fantasy Tactics on the GBA simply because I was fighting with a 10 year old knight.  Yes, the FF Tactics play system was very good, but the overall story and theme behind the game was very silly to me.   The first Final Fantasy tactics game had an older protanganist, which fit better for me.  Tactics Ogre had older characters as well, so does the excellent Fire Emblem.

Anyway, Nintendo games and play mechanics can be, and are good, but the themes and target of the games are targetted at children, as that is where Nintendo makes a lot of money.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »

IGN put up a head to head comparison of the PSP vs DS over here, and it seems about right on.

The screen category should be a win for the PSP.  The PSP has a bigger pixel count then the DS screens put together.  What is the refresh rate on the DS, wasn't mentioned.  When I think of screen, I think of viewing area, not necessarily the control elements.  Nintendo could have made a higher resolution / bigger screen touch sensitive as well.  The touch aspect of the DS was included in the control comparison.  

Sony should have won the wireless category as well, as Sony offers internet wireless connections now, not some promised feature that may make it down the road.

Load times aren't bad with PSP using the sleep function.

Anyway, I'd give the PSP a 5-3 win, based on the better screen and current wireless support.  I don't full trust Nintendo (or anyone's) claim of upcoming support until it is there.  You could argue that the extended control of the DS makes it win there, if you like tapping vs analog control.

I really wish Sony did some kind of flip design like the DS and GBA SP before hand.  That is a great feature, though the Logitech case looks nice.  Tough call, find your own case or have one provided for you and never really change it?

Sony=lots, Nintendo=lots less.

There probably was some complaining during the DS launch, was there not?  I have no idea.  A lot of the PSP talk comes from a vocal minority as well.  Expecting the screen to be completely perfect isn't necessarily fair either, as laptops, LCD screens, etc. all have problems, and people don't replace them for a few blown pixels.  EB's warranty is almost crazy in this regard.  Still, Sony probably could have done a better job with this.  More complex hardware means Sony should have had increased quality control, no doubts.

---
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2005, 10:33:29 PM »

Just want to touch one thing Scott, DS games are allready using the wireless functions, and interestingly enough you can play several games wirelessly with only one Cartridge in multiplayer. It's not some promised feature that May happen, it's already been announced and is coming.

I'll give you that some of the Nintendo games have a more cartoony look, it's different strokes for different folks, but oddly enough the games I am seeing and that interest me are game like Lost In Blue, where you take two stranded people on a deserted island and help them find a way off, and Another: Code which is a classic murder-mystery point and click adventure that has a decidely mature feel to it.

And just for comparison sake, when I play say something like Advanced Wars or FFTA, I don't usually care what the main protagonist looks like for the most part or if he/she seems to be a teenager, it's a game and they tend to suspend belief because they are all make-believe worlds. That's my perspective, and I want you to know that I completely respect and understand and at times completely agree with your perspective as well. smile

Honestly guys this has been a great discussion, it has really made me take and interest in both machines. I think I am going to get the unique and interesting gameplay from the DS that I expect and I think the PSP might become the more affordable option to a next generation machine, as it seems the PS3 and XBOX2 are going to approach the 400 dollar range.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2005, 11:06:59 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
One example for me, I love Advance Wars. But when I play, I always think it is pretty odd that teens or very young people are in charge of armies and defending the country. How many US soldiers would follow a 19 year girl in a tank top? Themes and appearances like this are common for videogames though, but more common it seems for Nintendo products.

Poor example- this is actually that's more a function of traditional anime style which is probably most rampant on PS2 due to having the most support from Japanese developers. For example, almost any Console RPG (of which PS2 has by far the most) will have young protaganists (who are typically drawn to look even younger than their actual age) and they will be wearing stylized outfits completely inappropriate to the situation at hand.  The hero of the PS2 Strat RPG Phantom Brave looks no older than the heroes from Advance Wars.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2005, 12:10:20 AM »

Just want to touch one thing Scott, DS games are allready using the wireless functions,

Yes, I know both units are capable of wireless functions.  The DS can not currently play online via the wireless connection though, while the PSP can.  Nintendo has promised to add the functionality on, but with any claim I'll believe it when I see it.  The article was comparing the two units as they stood now, not what is coming in the future.  Right now, the PSP is superior in this category.

You're right about the anime influence Kevin, I didn't think that through.  I didn't play Phantom Brave or some of the other games with young characters in this regard.  FF X and some other games with late teen characters I can believe in some roles.   So, yeah, it was a bad example.

it's a game and they tend to suspend belief because they are all make-believe worlds.

If the game can suspend my disbelief, I'm all for it.  I guess I'm just not as easy to convince in some regards, getting jaded I guess smile.  FFTA couldn't do it for me.  

Not all DS or Nintendo games are focused at the young crowd, I just think a vast majority.  One of my favorite games in the last couple years was Eternal Darkness, and that wasn't focused at a younger group smile.  I just think you are kidding yourself if you don't think the Nintendo library is skewed towards the pre-teen crowd, while Sony is skewed towards the older teens and above.

---
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: