http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 03:46:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone here even have a DS? I have some ?? PSP too!  (Read 3711 times)
Tebunker
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« on: March 28, 2005, 04:21:43 AM »

Hell I'm snookered, I am going to get one of these new fangled handhelds sooner than later, but it seems like everyone here has abandoned the DS for the PSP, and with good reason the PSP is juicy-licious, but there are game like Lost in Blue and Another(actual title) that really interest me on the DS, on top of that I think Warioware and even Yoshi T&G would be a lot of fun, and I am a Mr. Driller fanatic on top of that.

However I just want to know what people who own one think, I have a good idea about the PSP, and it's tempting een at 250 because it's got killer potential and looks awesome, but I can't play gba games on it, but I also don't want a 150 dollar super-gba sp advanced etc. Yet all the PSP hardware problems I hear make waiting till next year a good thing..

Also to note I am probably going to just accumulate some store credit with Blockbuster because they have a monster trade in deal with the +5 bucks on all trade ins except 04 sports, and like two other games, and once I have accumulated enough credit, well over 250 mind you, I plan on waiting a month or so and then getting one of them...

Heck maybe someone can direct me to a GOOD Psp site beyond IGN or 1up or Gamestop, does PSP have a good official site?

I just want more info, K thanks!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 04:44:55 AM »

It's a shame you can't own them both.  I like my DS and my PSP for differing reasons.  That being said, the PSP sure is sexy.  I have the same number of game sfor both systems (well, not counting GBA games), so I am okay with the lack of games some perceive ont he DS.  You really just need to aks yourself what it is you are looking for in your handheld.  I really like the touch screen on the DS, so if you want that kind of mechanic in your games, go for the DS.  If you want a machine that plays games that look near as good as a PS2 and on a beautiful screen, go for the PSP.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 04:53:17 AM »

Hm.  Tough question.

The PSP is a gorgeous piece of hardware, especially when it's defect-free (like mine is).  I think the dead pixel issue is largely a case of the vocal minority, ie, chances are a new PSP will be next to perfect, but you never know.  Remember, retailers will generally be happy to exchange the system for you if you find your unit to be unacceptable.

That being said, the DS is $100 cheaper and does have the backing of the GBA's library, which is nice.

Quite frankly, Tebunker, I'd suggest you either go with the PSP or wait until Nintendo releases information about the Gameboy Evolution (the next 'real' Gameboy.)  I just don't have alot of faith in the DS, it seems more like a spinoff experiment than a true, powerful system that Nintendo's going to lovingly support.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 06:35:09 AM »

I have both and I love both.  The PSP is definitly one gorgeous piece of hardware, and the ability to put movies/TV shows/etc. on it has actually turned out to be a more often used feature than I thought it would.  That said, the DS is also really, really fun and also an impressive piece of hardware in its own right.  I honestly can't imagine not owning a DS, especially after playing Wario and Yoshi enough to see what the true potential is.

If I had to choose one at this point I would probably go PSP, but ignore all of the 'Nintendo is doomed' fanbois that inhabit this board - the DS might not have the resolution or graphics of the PSP, but it definitly packs in the fun.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 07:12:25 AM »

I'm with Dimmona and Jason- proud owner of both.  The DS was worth the price alone to me for the visual and audio upgrades for GBA games but the already announced linuep of Castlevania, Advance Wars, Final Fantasy III, Boktai 3, Xenosaga DS, Baten Kaitos DS, and unnannounced but surely forthcoming new Mario, Zelda, and Fire Emblem games are all I need to justify the purchase.

The PSP is wonderful too of course and I can't wait to see whats announced for it at E3.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 07:35:18 AM »

I also have both and have played both since I got the psp. Both are great different systems. So far the DS does seem to be a more solid  machine though. At least at launch. Less issues with it(for me at least), but the psp`s issiues(once more for me at least) aren`t dealbreakers and will hopefully stay that way. Both are great systems it seems. Just buy the warranties! :wink:
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:15:34 AM »

My wife is hooked to the DS. I brought her Yoshi for Easter, and she can't stop playing it. It's a great gadget, but I'm really looking forward to the PSP. I think it depends on what type of game you prefer. If you like sports games, PSP is your man. If you like playing something different, more old school type games, DS is your man. But being honest there isn't an awful lot out for the DS, hopefully this will change. I'd love a heroes of might and magic game, or classic Lucusarts adventures.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 01:23:25 PM »

I also own both and can say that, in the time that both have been in my house, the DS has become an exclusive 'Zoo Keeper' machine for my wife.

I see the DS vs. PSP battle lines drawn, pretty close to how you feel about the GC vs. PS2.

If you want Nintendo exclusives, and a new look to your old games, you know where to go.

If you want sports, racing, Sony exclusives, and I'll assume a bunch of rpg's along with mp3, movie and picture viewer: Go with the PSP.

To be honest, I see that the price difference isn't great enough. The PSP, for what it does, should be at about $250 but the DS should probably be at about the GBA SP $80 range.

Upgrading the look of my old GB games and a Bejeweled clone doesn't get it done for me, but I can see why people would be drawn to the DS.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 01:49:39 PM »

I see the DS vs. PSP battle lines drawn, pretty close to how you feel about the GC vs. PS2.

If you want Nintendo exclusives, and a new look to your old games, you know where to go.

If you want sports, racing, Sony exclusives, and I'll assume a bunch of rpg's along with mp3, movie and picture viewer: Go with the PSP.

Exactly.

I have both. The PSP wins hands down currently. The DS has the POTENTIAL to be really amazing, but so far it's just wasted potential, IMO. Warioware got boring after about 10 minutes. The only game that I have had a lot of fun with on the DS is SM64 and that was just because of the minigames, since the controls on the regular game suck so bad.

Nintendo needs to get some more AAA games out really soon...and not just a game here and a game there. They need to have a constant stream of good games.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 02:21:54 PM »

Actually to be totally honest, the DS is like a kids toy. I don't have a PSP, but we have the best DS games available today (Mario 64 DS, Warioware, Yoshi and feel the magic), and they are kid's games. If you want a family handheld, the DS is the winner. But if you are buying for yourself I'd get the PSP. GTA, Burnout and FF are all due on the PSP.

Edited to add that the DS will be my last Nintendo console. I'm fed up with their attitude and they really don't know what they are doing.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 05:04:51 PM »

Just do like I do - wait until there are some games that are really worth the cost of entry for either system.  As you might guess, right now, I don't own either smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 05:46:53 PM »

kathode's idea is great.  we sort of did it when the xbox first came out - we wanted one but didn't know if we should get a Cube because of our Zelda addiction.  when the EB person pointed out that the new Zelda wouldn't be out for awhile, we got the xbox.  the following year we got the Cube and WindWaker.

i was going to hold off on both handhelds (i have an SP) until the dust settled then pick the best one for me... and then i got a DS for Christmas.  i found that i didn't mind waiting on the PSP, since i wanted to get "my" money's worth out of the DS first.  for me, there's also the temptation of waiting for a lower price on the PSP, or at least a bundle that fits my needs, or - best - a non-bundle price.  and by then, there will be a zillion CG'ers selling PSP games at great prices! Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 06:19:41 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
Just do like I do - wait until there are some games that are really worth the cost of entry for either system.  As you might guess, right now, I don't own either smile

The voice of logic!  How dare you!!  

Although I must admit that I why I haven't bought either of them yet.  For me it is going to be the RPGs.  I haven't seen yet which system will really bring out good RPGs.  And I don't mean "action" RPGs like Untold Legends either - I mean real RPGs. smile

The nice thing about waiting is I have all these other folks who rush out and figure out the problems with the system before I buy it.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 08:20:18 PM »

I`m certainly NOT a kid and I LOVE both. I`ve played games for many years and I`ve played alot of "mature" games too over the years :roll: . That doesn`t mean that the DS isn`t for me, does it? Warioware is freaking boat loads of fun, and last WAY more that 10 minutes. I have had it since day one, and I still play it. I just did on saturday, right after I played my psp... Warioware is just like the older warioware ones besides it uses the touch screen and microphone only. I guess if you only play warioware for ten minutes, you just don`t like good minigames. And for the people that say it`s too short...that`s like complaining about tetris being too short etc. Both are great systems and both will continue to get lots of play around here.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »

I'm definately going to the way that Kathode says, it was my intial feeling to wait out until at least august or so, but the forums have been so Pro-PSP lately I needed to know if there was still another side to the story.

right now, there's not much new info on games for either system, but both look like they are getting the support from most of the major developers. Hell it will be the only platform with an English release of Final Fantasy III, first time ever in Japan, it's just how long would we freaking have to wait...

I don't play sports games that often and will occasionally play a racing title or two. I have no interest in a GTA game or ultra-violent games although I will play any good game regardless of content. I don't try to pigeonhole myself too much.

I almost want to defend the DS in this thread, but it's too early to tell what kind of machine it will be. Like Hetz said it has a ton of potential but right now it's not using it.

Still see some pretty cool games coming in the future though, Kirby Touched looks cool too, but that may be too kiddie for some people.

Looks like I'll have to wait till E3 to see how some of these games actually play and see what gets announced. If I wasn't going to buy any systems next generation then I would definatley consider both.

anyways, I appreciate all the point of views, I'm just going to have to be patient.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2005, 09:24:44 PM »

Warioware touched and Mario 64 DS`s minigames show off the some of the systems potential IMO. I`m not defending anything, I`mjust saying how it is. :wink:
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 09:26:58 PM »

I have both systems.

To be honest.... I've owned a Nintendo Gameboy Advance, DS, and now PSP.   I hardly ever played the Advance.... I once again hardly ever played the DS...

But I've been NON STOP playing this PSP, and I can't stop.   My purchase excitement usually ends the moment I buy it and then it evaporates.   Not this time.   I've got an Xbox and a Cube that are sitting idle while I play away the hours on this PSP.

I don't think I've ever played a console/handheld/videogame as much since the olden days of the Atari 2600.    It's just so darned COOL...  it restored the same 'it's darned COOL" feelings I used to have when the Atari first came out.

I'm planning to sell my DS now on Ebay.  I'll keep my cube to cover myself in case any new stuff comes out for it -- but my instincts tell me that it's also getting to the end of it's lifecycle for good games.    

The DS money will be used to buy a couple more PSP titles in the weeks to come.   Thank you Sony for a system that is truely a marvel to play, watch, listen to , display, and hold.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 10:01:38 PM »

Just spent some time looking at release date lists and yup, there's no real major difference at the moment in terms of games that are coming. Hoepfully E3 will reveal more...

Oh and Msduncan, normally I'd advise you to hold onto any kind of gaming system, especially since you JUST got it's competition, but if you're sold on getting rid of that DS, shoot me an email/pm with your demands, I might just be able to get both machines yet! I'll definately consider what you may be asking for it...

Oh yeah, is anyone put off by the cost of PSP games? Do you think that they stack up for 40 to 50 bones? One thing that seems better is that DS games are hitting at 30 bucks or so, and that can add up quick...

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2005, 10:09:36 PM »

Yeah, so far my complaints about the psp are:

Expensive games
 And HORRID quality assurance

It`s a great system, it just has some flaws.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2005, 10:11:22 PM »

Ive got to say, im kind of inline with Kathode and Tebunker (dont tell anyone please!!). I am very wary about the release schedule. I could get a PSP now and enjoy Tiger Woods, but I would be hurting until Death Jr. comes out in freaking July! I really need a couple RPG killer aps to make this worth it. I ahve a long cross country car journey coming up soon, so I am sure I would enjoy the PSP to keep me company during the breaks, hotels, etc. But 250 aint cheap!
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2005, 10:16:51 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Oh yeah, is anyone put off by the cost of PSP games? Do you think that they stack up for 40 to 50 bones? One thing that seems better is that DS games are hitting at 30 bucks or so, and that can add up quick...
Most PSP games are $40, and I definitely don't have a problem with that.

$50 would be more of a stretch.  Like console games, unless I was REALLY interested in a title, I'd wait for a price drop or deal.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2005, 10:27:09 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"

I'm put off by it.  When I can buy regular console games at $50, even $40 doesn't look too good to me on a handheld system.  Add to that fact that the PSP is $250 with just a 32MB card (if you want to burn movies or use it as an MP3 player, you'll be shelling out for the bigger cards) and I'm more turned off.  I don't have a DS, but have certainly thought about getting it.  It is more cost effective than the PSP, although it may not be as "cool".

I think Sony put the base price way too high for the PSP in terms of system and games.  If they drop the price too early (pre-E3, around Christmas would probably work) people who picked up the PSP will shit bricks about the whole thing.

If I had to choose between the two I'd look at upcoming games (probably a better picture will be out there when E3 hits) and money situation.  The DS to me is more attractive because of price points, but the PSP is simply more powerful and more "cool".

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2005, 12:22:23 AM »

I'm not thrilled but its understandable.  Since its roughly the power of current gen systems that means that development budgets and team sizes will likely be pretty large and consequently prices are going to be higher to compensate for it.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2005, 12:59:06 AM »

Since its roughly the power of current gen systems that means that development budgets and team sizes will likely be pretty large and consequently prices are going to be higher to compensate for it.

I don't know that reason necessarily flies.  Most of the PSP games are likely to be ports of already developed PS2 games with some small changes.  Most of the DS games are N64 games with changes.  I just don't see a big DS library when it makes much more economical sense for a developer to make  a GBA game instead, which also runs on the DS.

Sony has proven that it can produce a ton of games for its consoles, so I have absolutely no doubt that the PSP will have a ton of games.   It may be the same as the PS2, with only a handful of truly exceptional games, but I still like the choice, as opposed to Nintendo's fewer games (though on average they may be better.

The last two console generations have shown which company will offer far more titles, far more RPGs, far more of everything really.  With Nintendo, you'll get another Zelda, another Mario, and some odd Wario games.  Beyond that, the Sony library just dominates.  

but the PSP is simply more powerful and more "cool".

I couldn't care that the PSP is more "cool".  I do care that it is a bunch more powerful though.  I like the fact that the games I play on the PSP are current generation games, and look as good as what is on the PS2 now.  Most of us care about graphics and sound, and the PSP kills in this regard.  I also like the analog control found on the PSP.

I also like that the PSP has multi uses.  So what if I have to add 1 gig of memory for $70?  That isn't so bad really.  Then I watch videos at the gym, listen to MP3s, etc.  I can show photos to people.  It opens up the PSP to new forms of 'play'.  I enjoy using my toys in other ways, or exploring ways to download DVDs, etc.  The DS just doesn't stack up here.  The PSP can replace your MP3 player, video player, photo viewer, etc. on the road in a pinch, and that is pretty cool.  I can't give my two little kids the DS and let them watch an episode of Clifford on a long drive, but I can with the PSP.

The PSP has way to many wins for me compared to the DS, so it was an easy choice.  If you really like Nintendo stuff, get the DS.

As for the $40 vs $30 game, $10 doesn't really matter to me if I'm paying for a lot better game.  I don't know, I guess I just don't sweat the small details like that.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2005, 01:03:16 AM »

As for the price of games. I don't see much of a difference between the systems. WarioWare is listed at $35 at EB, Wipeout Pure is $40. Although the standard difference seems to be $10.

Take a look at Ridge Racer as an example and if you see a $10 difference then you have you answer on game cost.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2005, 01:11:35 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I don't know that reason necessarily flies. Most of the PSP games are likely to be ports of already developed PS2 games with some small changes. Most of the DS games are N64 games with changes. I just don't see a big DS library when it makes much more economical sense for a developer to make a GBA game instead, which also runs on the DS.

If most PSP games end up being ports I will be sorely disappointed.  While portability is nice and a certain number of ports are to be expected I bought it for the unique content.  I also don't consider unique entries to series like Ridge Racer and Wipeout Pure to be ports and both games likely had comparable dev budgets to Ridge Racer V and Wipeout Fusion.  

And most of the DS games are NOT N64 ports.  The only one I can think of currently is Mario 64 and I can't recall any ports from the list of announced titles either.   I'm probably missing a few but most are unique to the DS.  As to GBA development- it seems pretty dead currently.  The only major title I know of for the rest of the year is Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones and that game was completed in Japan last year.  Almost every other major GBA series has already announced a DS entry.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2005, 01:12:36 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
As for the price of games. I don't see much of a difference between the systems. WarioWare is listed at $35 at EB, Wipeout Pure is $40. Although the standard difference seems to be $10.

Take a look at Ridge Racer as an example and if you see a $10 difference then you have you answer on game cost.

Hopefully the $39.99 pricepoint will stick but EA has come out swinging with a $49.99 MSRP and if they are successful there I expect to see other publishers follow suit.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 01:24:58 AM »

If most PSP games end up being ports I will be sorely disappointed.

Maybe they won't be then.  Actually, a fair number are not ports now.  Still, I don't think development costs will be that high.  PS2 programming knowledge is widely available and people are very good at it now.  The PSP isn't that different.  There also won't be many movies or as many voices in PSP games, so you'll cut down the costs of games in that regard.

I forgot to mention that the PSP is the first handheld system that has wowed me so far.  I'm still amazed at the graphics.  The GBA or DS hasn't from what I've seen.  The GBA games are pretty good, but have always been fillers for me until I got back to a real system like the PS2, Gamecube, or XBox.  The PSP is a bit different, I feel like I play games that are current on it.

You need to decide Tebunker.  Do you like Nintendo's N64 library, and games with similar graphics, themes, and complexity, or do you like Sony's PS2 libary, and the graphics, themes and complexity of those games?  I'd guess it'd be pretty obvious for most people.  

I like Sony's stuff far better, and always found Nintendo's stuff for the most part to be for kids, with the cutesy graphics, stories that seem like they are for 12 year olds, etc.  There may be great games behind some of those games, but just not for me.  Eternal Darkness was by far my favorite Gamecube game, and I think it was one of the few games that really targetted the older bunch on the Cube.  I guess Princess Peach and her friends don't appeal to me.  I like GTA, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy and other Sony franchises.  I'm off to cut things apart in GoW now smile

---
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 01:27:52 AM »

There also won't be many movies or as many voices in PSP games, so you'll cut down the costs of games in that regard.

Why do you say that?  Each UMD can hold 1.8 Gigs- plenty of room for FMV and voice.  One of the primary complaints being levied at Untold Legends is the lack of voice acting and poor sound and music.

EDITED TO ADD- I actually think this is going to be a big reason for increased budgets- people are going to expect comparable production values and that includes high quality soundtracks and voice acting.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 01:40:44 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Hopefully the $39.99 pricepoint will stick but EA has come out swinging with a $49.99 MSRP and if they are successful there I expect to see other publishers follow suit.
I'm not so sure about that, Kevin.  I think it's more likely for EA to drop in line than it its for others to follow in step behind EA.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2005, 01:42:20 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

I was shocked to pay $50 for THUG2 at Gamestop this weekend :-(  I was so excited to get a new PSP game that I paid it anyways, but I'm not sure my budget can handle too many handheld games at that price point...

The PSP will become a great multi-use system... in time.  As a game machine and a movie player it is pretty good right now, and easy to use for both.  Photos look great on it, but the restriction of only having one layer of subdirectories makes it a pain to use.  And it is simply *horrible* as a MP3 player.  Maybe I've just been spoiled by my iPod, but even so if you are thinking of getting a PSP for mp3 playback capabilities I would suggest buying a cheap dedicated mp3 player instead smile

Keep in mind that an update to the Japanese PSP was supposedly 'leaked' a few months ago that included among other things a web browser and an e-mail client (as well as a few other productivity apps).  Those two things alone will be huge feature points for the PSP.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2005, 02:06:22 AM »

You need to decide Tebunker. Do you like Nintendo's N64 library, and games with similar graphics, themes, and complexity, or do you like Sony's PS2 libary, and the graphics, themes and complexity of those games? I'd guess it'd be pretty obvious for most people.

Scott, I don't see it this way and I don't think many folks but you do. If you look at the upcoming games for the DS it looks Nothing like the N64, god knows the games I listed in my OP alone are nothing like ANY game out there, and the PSP looks similiar to the PS2 in terms of games right now we have yet to see where it's going.  I do find it funny that even after you were called out, that only ONE of the DS games was a 64 port, you continued with the bad analogy. If it was really that "obvious" or that much of a disparity then we wouldn't be having this thread because I would've decided to get a PSP.

I don't think it's that easy and I know from looking down the lists that the games, as of now, are very close. It will be very interesting to see what is announced at E3, but right now, if you are trying to compare the DS to the N64 you obviously haven't looked at any upcoming games. The PSP is a great looking device but any look at a future release list and there's still not much information on what could be called the killer apps. for me.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2005, 02:31:19 AM »

I still think that it boils down to what you are looking for.

If you guys think either system isn't going to be full of ports then you've been asleep for the past 10 years.  :wink:

I bet I can tell you the next 2 years of major releases for the DS will be: Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Mario Party, Smash Brothers and some Pokemon games.

Along those same lines the big releases for the PSP will be: GTA, Gran Turismo, Jak, Ratchet, Metal Gear, Sly and EA Sports.

I'm sure I'm missing some on both, but you get the picture.

Are you more of a Nintendo guy or a Sony guy?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2005, 02:58:30 AM »

I still think that it boils down to what you are looking for.

If you guys think either system isn't going to be full of ports then you've been asleep for the past 10 years.  :wink:

I bet I can tell you the next 2 years of major releases for the DS will be: Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Donkey Kong, Mario Party, Smash Brothers and some Pokemon games.

Along those same lines the big releases for the PSP will be: GTA, Gran Turismo, Jak, Ratchet, Metal Gear, Sly and EA Sports.

I'm sure I'm missing some on both, but you get the picture.

Are you more of a Nintendo guy or a Sony guy?

If I knew in the next 2-3 months PSP would have a jak/ratchet game, a gta game, decent football and tiger woods, and a couple killer rpg apps the decision would be made, but they have been incredibly stingy with announcing the games, which makes no sense to me.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2005, 03:02:28 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
If I knew in the next 2-3 months PSP would have a jak/ratchet game, a gta game, decent football and tiger woods, and a couple killer rpg apps the decision would be made, but they have been incredibly stingy with announcing the games, which makes no sense to me.

Simple, its not E3. Why kill the sales of average launch games by annoucing the goods now?

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2005, 03:15:52 AM »

Scott, I don't see it this way and I don't think many folks but you do.

Well, Devil does, and I'm sure others do.  I think he is right, you have Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, etc. on your Nintendo, and a few other players.  Nintendo makes money and stays in business with its main franchises.  Sony will counter with its big players.  Why do you think the two systems will radically diverge?  The PSP already has its Ridge Racer, Metal Gear, and GTA (coming soon).  The libraries are shaping up as we've seen in the past.  I'm sure there will be a couple surprises, but nothing major.  Not to many surprises in gaming these days, mostly just sequels from everyone, including Nintendo.

but they have been incredibly stingy with announcing the games, which makes no sense to me.

As Rob mentioned, why bother now?  Sony is doing well, and has a good lineup of games, rated better at most sights then the DS lineup (in total).

Knowing you through your posts Tebunker, you've always loved and been very supportive of Nintendo.   You are one of the big advocates of Nintendo on these boards and GG before it.  To see you wavering and thinking of not getting the Nintendo product is surprising.

---
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2005, 03:19:26 AM »

Photos look great on it, but the restriction of only having one layer of subdirectories makes it a pain to use. And it is simply *horrible* as a MP3 player

I agree.  The single folder for each isn't great, especially the photos.  But the PSP does view photos, and can substitute as an MP3 player, things other handheld game systems can't do.  I like the versatility.  On the plane, I can play games, then listen to a few tunes pretty easily.  Sometimes it is a pain to even get the iPod out to listen to when you have people on either side in cramped quarters smile.

---
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2005, 03:57:15 AM »

Knowing you through your posts Tebunker, you've always loved and been very supportive of Nintendo. You are one of the big advocates of Nintendo on these boards and GG before it. To see you wavering and thinking of not getting the Nintendo product is surprising.

Then you don't read many of my posts. I've been a big Xbox supporter and have a PS2 that I love, I usually talked up Nintendo because A: In the past I, foolishly, thought that they had changed and B: Were needlessly ripped by everyone else on the board.

I'm Company agnostic. However, I've allways had an extra special place in my heart for the Cube, about the only system that's fit me, mainly because of the controller.

I will agree with you that we will see the standards from both companies come out, I still don't see it like N64 vs. PS2 like you said Scott. When you look at the release lists for the DS they don't look anything like a N64 listing, the touch screen changes that, I mean games like Lost in Blue and Another Code alone show that the DS is definately going down a different path. One thing that has me intrigued is how Nintendo will incorporate the touch screen into their mascot games, if you look at what they are currently doing it's definately completely different from the past. So I guess that makes me think that the DS won't be as "samey" as you say; like has been said, we can only wait and see.

Needless to say I wasn't too hot on either system about a month ago, but right now I could easily see myself being happy owning just these two machines and nothing else for the next couple of years.

I also think we'll see developers eat up the online world of both these machines and that in and of its self will make a big difference than what we've seen in the past.

shang
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2005, 08:30:05 AM »

I bought my DS at the European launch and haven't regretted it a bit. While the PSP is graphically superior, graphics is not really an issue for me in handheld gaming. I play handhelds for the exclusive, original titles that you can't play on any other platforms, hence the DS. Lumines and Makai Wars are the only exclusive PSP titles that interest me the least in the current and upcoming lineup.

On the DS I'm currently playing Polarium, WarioWare Touched, Mr. Driller and my library of GBA games, and I have ordered Yoshi's Touch & Go, Feel the Magic and Mario DS. That's plenty of games for now, and most of them would not really work without the touch screen. In future lineup, I'm mostly looking forward to Advance Wars DS and Egg Monster Heroes, and getting portable versions of Age of Empires and Katamari Damacy sounds nice too.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2005, 08:32:26 AM »

I've owned the gameboy advanced (2 actually) and I maybe clocked a total of 10 hours with it when I owned the system.  I think the main reason is that when I played the GBA it felt as if I was playing "old" games and grew bored with them very quickly. Basically I had this, "Didn't I play this 15  years ago?" feeling. I'm not saying that the GBA/DS is a bad system, just that no games interest me in the slightest for it.

With the PSP that is a different story all together. I simply cannot wait to play it, and when I do I have a fantastic time and do not grow bored. I stop playing the PSP  only because I have to and not because I want to.

The PSP is amazing, from the controls, to the screen, to the sound (through headphones; grado 60s), and the graphics. The menu presentation is superb, and you can do more than just play games with it as well. For me, it is like bringing a PS2 (imho the graphics look better than the PS2 at times) along with me.

You can't go wrong with both. However, if I had to choose, it'd be the PSP.

Obviously.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: